Pro Tools HD with Hackintosh & Leopard or Snow Leopard

Noizyboy

98 posts in this topic

Anyone had luck with the i7-950 cpu? I'd like to run OS 10.6.2 with Pro Tools 8.0.3. Here's the build I have so far. Any input is appreciated :(

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

cpu: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

gpu: Gigabyte GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770

Hey so, just to let you know that I have completed building my i7 2.66, GA EX58 UD3R, Protools HD 2 system, and everything is working flawlessly!

Details:

I installed using EX58 Mobo Patch script. I simply followed the great guide. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Here's my original thread with the build list. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00534&st=20

Now running OS X 10.6, PC EFI 10.3

Protools HD 8.0.3pr

Protools Core + Accel PCI

A wide variety of plugins (TDM & RTAS)

Dual monitors - video card is EVGA Geforce 9400 GT 512 (Dual DVI) - used OSX Tools to create custom EFI string

Control 24 control surface via on board ethernet

Core Audio

Internal Audio - via vodoo's kext

Internet via usb dongle

Firewire

USB

Thanks so much to Logical User and all the others that helped me get this going!

I just purchased an HD2 PCI system and I'm looking to build a hackintosh. The GA EX58 UD3R isn't made anymore but I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-4DDR3-2200-...933&sr=1-12

could this work?

Also, has anyone upgraded to PT9 HD? any issues with that?

thanks for all the info!

• 3 weeks later...
I just purchased an HD2 PCI system and I'm looking to build a hackintosh. The GA EX58 UD3R isn't made anymore but I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-4DDR3-2200-...933&sr=1-12

could this work?

Also, has anyone upgraded to PT9 HD? any issues with that?

thanks for all the info!

I had someone just set my Hackintosh up! I installed PT9 and it worked perfectly, at first. Now it won't launch at all (the icon just jumps up and down in the dock; I don't even get the loading window). I tried:

-clean uninstall

-deleted Library/Application Support/Digidesign

-unistalled coreaudio driver

-deleted Applications/Digidesign

-deleted digidesign files in Library/Preferences

-Repaired registry

-re-installed PT

-updated most recent coreaudio drivers

-and several variances..

It won't launch. I can get PT8 running perfectly on it, but if I try to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 it won't launch anymore.

The only thing I changed was moving some of the VSTs (Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST) and installing SoundFlower, because of Adobe audio issues. (I tried uninstalling SoundFlower and moving the VSTs back, too)

I'll keep you posted..

System:

Gigabyte GA EX58 UD3R LGA 1366 X58 R

nVidia GeForce 6600

i7 920

DIGI 002

Mac OSX 10.6.5

I had someone just set my Hackintosh up! I installed PT9 and it worked perfectly, at first. Now it won't launch at all (the icon just jumps up and down in the dock; I don't even get the loading window). I tried:

-clean uninstall

-Repaired registry

-re-installed PT

-and several variances..

It won't launch. I can get PT8 running perfectly on it, but if I try to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 it won't launch anymore.

The only thing I changed was moving some of the VSTs (Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST) and installing SoundFlower, because of Adobe audio issues. (I tried uninstalling SoundFlower and moving the VSTs back, too)

I'll keep you posted..

System:

nVidia GeForce 6600

i7 920

DIGI 002

Mac OSX 10.6.5

You should try and wait say 5 minutes. It happened that after my hackintosh crashed, I had to wait for minutes before PT HD 8 launches. The icon was jumping in the dock but nothing happened. It happened almost every time my computer crashed. How long have you been waiting for PT to launch?

-clean uninstall

-Repaired registry

-re-installed PT

-and several variances..

I'll keep you posted..

System:

nVidia GeForce 6600

i7 920

DIGI 002

Mac OSX 10.6.5

This thread is about Pro Tools HD with HD cards.

You should try and wait say 5 minutes. It happened that after my hackintosh crashed, I had to wait for minutes before PT HD 8 launches. The icon was jumping in the dock but nothing happened. It happened almost every time my computer crashed. How long have you been waiting for PT to launch?

Brahamnesik,

Thanks for the reply. I just re-installed and waited over 30 min. It stops bouncing in the dock after a few minutes. It's then still running in the background and taking up 100% of one of my cores. However, I don't ever see the load window and it is not selectable in the menu (and can't command+tab to it).

To everyone: I appologize. I am both a Hackintosh and Forum newbie. I thought that PT9 kind of greyed the LE/HD line. I will not post in this thread.

Brahamnesik,

Thanks for the reply. I just re-installed and waited over 30 min. It stops bouncing in the dock after a few minutes. It's then still running in the background and taking up 100% of one of my cores. However, I don't ever see the load window and it is not selectable in the menu (and can't command+tab to it).

To everyone: I appologize. I am both a Hackintosh and Forum newbie. I thought that PT9 kind of greyed the LE/HD line. I will not post in this thread.

This is weird. Maybe some useless tips but what I'd do would be to try and switch applications using Command+Tab and also make sure that PT is not loaded in a different Space, so you should check your 4 spaces. Hope that makes sense! :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Hi,

do you know any other motherboard with x58 chipset compatible with protools hd system ? I mean with enough PCI adjacent slots that can handle huge hd cards...

Or do you know any expansion chassis (by magma or others) that works fine with "old" pci systems ?

Thanks!

Mal

• 2 months later...
I just found this thread and thought it was pretty interesting. I have an IBM IntelliStation Z Pro 6223-24U that I'm trying to get working with an HD3 (PCI-x) system. I have it all loaded up with iDeneb 10.5.8, Pro Tools HD 8.0.3, and the cards. DigiTest shows all of the cards and all tests pass.

Whenever I try to open Pro Tools (fresh install, no dodgy plugins or anything other than stock) I can see / hear my 192 (attached to the core card) connect and clock but then I get a DAE -9162 error and Pro Tools quits. I have tried moving the cards around in every possible configuration but that doesn't help at all. There is something about PCI interrupts in the BIOS but I don't really know what that's all about so I left it the way it came. There is also an option for PCI MLT but I don't know how that relates either.

It's strange that everything acts like it's going to work only to have Pro Tools {censored} out with a -9162 error. I'd love to get this working if anyone has ideas!

I have the same problem with Pro Tools HD 9 and 10.6.7. My mobo is Supermicro C2SBX+ and Core Quad.

Also whenever I open Core Audio Manager it shows HD not connected (HW in use)

Has anyone found a solution?

• 1 month later...
I have the same problem with Pro Tools HD 9 and 10.6.7. My mobo is Supermicro C2SBX+ and Core Quad.

Also whenever I open Core Audio Manager it shows HD not connected (HW in use)

Has anyone found a solution?

same problem here

Supermicro X8DAE

I think there is an issue with the PCI-X Controller

I have an Intel® 6700PXH 64-bit PCI Hub

cards are working but coreaudio shows HW in use and DAE error -9162 or 1146

I tried PT8 and 9 everything is the same

Did you tried both PCI and PCI-X slots??

• 4 weeks later...

Case: Carillon AC1

Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LE

CPU: i7 860 Cpu

PSU: Corsair TX750w

Graphics Card: Apple Mac Pro, Nvidia 8800GT Dual DVI

Ram: 10 Gig Kingston DDR3

System: OS X 10.6.7

HD3 Accel PCI x with Pro Tools 8.1.1

Working very well so far, the 8800GT with an Apple part number, worked perfectly out of the box giving dual Dvix monitors, in my case set as mirrored.

Pictures of my build here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...071e&type=1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Did you every build Hackitosh rig with the Asus P6T WS Pro motherbaord?

if so how did you do or where can i find the information?

I am having trouble with getting protools to work with both PCI cards in my hackintosh with the specs bellow.

MB: Asus P6T WS Professional

CPU: Xeon W3550

RAM: 12GB DDR3 ECC Registered

GPU: ATI HD 5770

HD1: 60GB OZ Agility SSD

HD2: 1TB 7200rpm Sata II

system works fine with only the Core card when HD Acel is added and PT is launched it starts to freeze go freeze go.

the only part I can return so far is the motherboard so if I could find a motherboard that works and will take the CPU and RAM

Hi guys

I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :)

Protools HD 8.03 running on 10.6.2

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE (bios 1408)

CPU: i7 860

Memory: 4GB Ripjaws DDR3

Graphics Card: zotac nVidia GeForce 9800GT

750W power supply

Coolermaster Cosmos case

Protools HD3 accel 3xPCIx cards

Procontrol

max86.

This is my first foray at building a Hack. I've been reading everything I can about this.

I know MACs inside and out but have NO PC knowledge at all.

You state (above) you have an HD3 Accel system but you're running them on a PCI bus not a PCIx bus. Do you notice any bus speed problems with this?

Does anyone notice the bus bogging down?

I also have an HD Accel system. HD4 running on an old PPC dual 1.42MHz MDD.

Going to the G5 PCIx route is worthless at this point.

The only true PCIx mobos are server boards. They have 64bit 533MHz bus speed.

ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard.

I'd happily sell 2 cards to run an HD2 system with more speed.

Do you think this card will work in a Hack?

This is the recommended processor.

Intel Xeon W3520 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80601W3520

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

BillieJo.

yesterday I got my new system running, there are some issues, but basically it works and performs great.

here are the specs:

OS X 10.6.8 ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install method)

vanilla install from original Snow Leopard DVD (then software combo update to 10.6.8)

DSDT from tonymacX86

ProTools HD 9.0.5 (HD2 PCI, 128 voices, long 4096 delay compensation)

ASUS P7P55D mainboard (2003 BIOS)

Intel i7 870 quad CPU

4 GB G.SKILL RAM

NVidia 7300 GT graphics card (fanless)

1TB system disk SATA

2TB audio disk SATA

Apple USB keyboard and USB magic mouse

20" Apple Cinema Display

Emagic MT4 MIDI interface

ProTools PCI Core in Slot 1

ProTools PCI Process in Slot 2

2x Digi 192 interfaces (connected to PT Core card)

M-Audio Profire Firewire for iTunes Audio

PCIe UAD-2 Solo Card (busted after firmware update with V6 driver)

I am planning to add an Accell card soon, they are pretty cheap on the used market.

There are some issues mostly USB related,

- the system will not go into the bootloader if there is an external USB harddisk connected or if my logitech wireless mouse stick is connected on boot

- occasionally the iLok is not properly detected and ProTools will (of course) not start

- sometimes ProTools bounces in the dock for 20 seconds before the splash screen shows up

best regards, Marten

• 3 weeks later...
yesterday I got my new system running, there are some issues, but basically it works and performs great.

here are the specs:

OS X 10.6.8 ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install method)

vanilla install from original Snow Leopard DVD (then software combo update to 10.6.8)

DSDT from tonymacX86

ProTools HD 9.0.5 (HD2 PCI, 128 voices, long 4096 delay compensation)

ASUS P7P55D mainboard (2003 BIOS)

Intel i7 870 quad CPU

4 GB G.SKILL RAM

NVidia 7300 GT graphics card (fanless)

1TB system disk SATA

2TB audio disk SATA

Apple USB keyboard and USB magic mouse

20" Apple Cinema Display

Emagic MT4 MIDI interface

ProTools PCI Core in Slot 1

ProTools PCI Process in Slot 2

2x Digi 192 interfaces (connected to PT Core card)

M-Audio Profire Firewire for iTunes Audio

PCIe UAD-2 Solo Card (busted after firmware update with V6 driver)

I am planning to add an Accell card soon, they are pretty cheap on the used market.

There are some issues mostly USB related,

- the system will not go into the bootloader if there is an external USB harddisk connected or if my logitech wireless mouse stick is connected on boot

- occasionally the iLok is not properly detected and ProTools will (of course) not start

- sometimes ProTools bounces in the dock for 20 seconds before the splash screen shows up

best regards, Marten

Hi Marten,

I'd like to ask you some information because I found your system very interesting.

At the moment I'm running a 10.5.8 because someone told me that Snow Leopard is not compiled for PCI devices.

As you can read on my signature I've got a HD2 Accel (2003 ?) PCI and it would be nice to "take a fly" to Snow direction also because probably in few times it will comes out a new Logic version (10 ? ).

Do you think it is possible to run Snow with pci cards? Are yours card pci, correct?

Thanks for the attention

Best regards

Chicco from Italy.

Do you think it is possible to run Snow with pci cards? Are yours card pci, correct?

Hi Chicco, I can't really see your profile at the moment, but yes I am running HD2 with old PCI cards on 10.6.8

You can install on a new partition (or 2nd harddrive), but you will have to get a new bootloader (like current version of Chimera) to be able to boot into Snow Leopard. You can then still go back to Leopard if it does not work out for you. Plan at least 3 days of installation and bugfixing if you are not an expert, I did the install a day before a big mix session and that was kind of a nightmare :-)

good luck!

EDIT: now I can see your profile, what mainboard are you using?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've read lot of success stories with GIGABYTE Q67M-D2H-B3, so I was planning to go with this MB for my PT HD|2 (1x CORE + 1x ACCEL pci system), but I've noticed this similar ASUS MB, way cheaper.

Question is, did any of you know about a success story with ASUS P8H67-V?

main diferences:

chipset: GIGABYTE Q67 / ASUS H67

Expansion slots: GIGABYTE 2 x PCI slots / ASUS 3 x PCI slots

AUDIO: GIGABYTE ALC889 / ASUS ALC887 *but this isn't an issue! Audio will be disabled

PRICE: GIGABYTE Q67M-D2H-B3 - 123.50€ / ASUS P8H67-V B3 - 92.90€

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 board. With a PCI Protools HD2 system.

I got Snow 10.6.8 running when AHCI is enabled. But then the Pro Tools 9.0.3, has crackling audio which seems to loop whatever the buffer size.

When I start with IDE mode in Leopard 10.5.7, Pro Tools 7.4 is fine.

When I start with AHCI mode in Leopard 10.5.7 Pro Tools 7.4 has the same crackling audio.

Unfortunately i can't seem to boot into 10.6.8 with IDE mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Seems it had nothing to with IDE or AHCI mode. Trying all sorts of stuff. With IRQ and graphics cards strings.....nothing worked.

It worked one time by changing the GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates to "No" in the boot.plist. But then I restarted and it's broke again... hmmm

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>No</string>

• 2 years later...

Hello guys!!!

I've got a problem with Pro Tools 9 on Snow Leopard.

When I try to record there's a message "could not allocate space for recording"

I've already checked "workspace" and "disk allocation" and are correct.

Also I can not import any audio file. "DAE error in line 9126"

I use separate discs for mac and pro tools projects.(but pro tools is installed in the same disc as snow leopard)

What can I do?

Thank you!!!