Pro Tools HD with Hackintosh & Leopard or Snow Leopard

Noizyboy

98 posts in this topic

Hi rarefaction,

You said that video and audio are into 2nd drive. Well, audio and video must to be in different drives.

Second, try to trash preferences and Digidesing databases. Use "ProTools Prefs & Database Helper" application. Download it from hxxp://www.jcdeshaies.com (replace xx by tt).

And finally, if these steps doesn't work, I suggest ask for help in DUC: duc.digidesing.com

Good luck, rarefaction

PD: Use hxxp://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&action=abase&langid=1 to see what is the meaning of your error number

whats with the xx tt {censored}... Your links will not be blocked, having them as normal url links makes them *clickable... if you didn't knew that LOL

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! -_-

Protools HD 8.03 running on 10.6.2

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE (bios 1408)

CPU: i7 860

Memory: 4GB Ripjaws DDR3

Graphics Card: zotac nVidia GeForce 9800GT

750W power supply

Coolermaster Cosmos case

Protools HD3 accel 3xPCIx cards

Procontrol

I use Samplitude to master my mixes and it seems to be running well in a VM under windows 7 64 bit using Parallels desktop 5. The only thing I'm still working on is getting the spdif optical of the motherboard to work so I can connect it to the 192 interface and monitor Samplitude properly, have any of you gone down this road? any success stories to tell? am i going about it the wrong way?

oh and firewire is missing on this board so I suppose i'm going to have to buy an pcie firewire 800 card to put in which is a drag but a small price to pay for upgrading my PCIx system, btw i was on a p4 XP system the last 4 years which was fine but I noticed with protools 8 the emergence of more and more cool RTAS only plugins and thought it was a good idea to go for an upgrade.

Good luck with your own builds !

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I've a newbie. I've just installed OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard from Hazard in order to use a Pro Tools HD PCI - NOT PCIe card.

So far, I've reached the frst boot. From what I understand I need to install kexts but I'm a bit confused concerning the Pro Tools PCI card.

Is it going to work on Snow Leopard or do I need to install something specific to use PCI cards on an OS based on PCIe hardware?

Here's my computer details:

ASUS P5PQL PRO

Quad Q6600

4go G-Skill

Thank you for helping out! :P

Hello,

I've a newbie. I've just installed OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard from Hazard in order to use a Pro Tools HD PCI - NOT PCIe card.

So far, I've reached the frst boot. From what I understand I need to install kexts but I'm a bit confused concerning the Pro Tools PCI card.

Is it going to work on Snow Leopard or do I need to install something specific to use PCI cards on an OS based on PCIe hardware?

Here's my computer details:

ASUS P5PQL PRO

Quad Q6600

4go G-Skill

Thank you for helping out! :P

No, there's nothing special you need to do to make the PCI slots work -- they just do!

No, there's nothing special you need to do to make the PCI slots work -- they just do!

Thanks a lot for the answer. That would be awesome if it's so simple. I thought it would be a lot of troubles to make a PCI or PCI-X card to work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I look forward to trying the install.

So far I haven't been able to do anything because I only have PS2 keyboard and mouse and sounds like OSX only recognize USB peripheral (which is logical...). So OSX launch, I have the welcome video but can't create account. ;)

Any users have success installing a Pro Tools PCI (or PCI-X) card on Snow Leopard 10.6.2? Any input would be welcome!

Hi guys

I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :)

750W power supply

Coolermaster Cosmos case

Procontrol

Hi can you post more spec how you install the system. I cannot find any info regarding installing SL on ASUS P7P55D.

THX

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :D

750W power supply

Coolermaster Cosmos case

Procontrol

I use Samplitude to master my mixes and it seems to be running well in a VM under windows 7 64 bit using Parallels desktop 5. The only thing I'm still working on is getting the spdif optical of the motherboard to work so I can connect it to the 192 interface and monitor Samplitude properly, have any of you gone down this road? any success stories to tell? am i going about it the wrong way?

oh and firewire is missing on this board so I suppose i'm going to have to buy an pcie firewire 800 card to put in which is a drag but a small price to pay for upgrading my PCIx system, btw i was on a p4 XP system the last 4 years which was fine but I noticed with protools 8 the emergence of more and more cool RTAS only plugins and thought it was a good idea to go for an upgrade.

Good luck with your own builds !

Please tell us more about your build. I want to build something that will take 3 PCI HD cards and function properly. I need the audio from spdif to play so if you've resolved that please give info. I can't find much info on ASUS motherboard/HD Hackintoshes, so hearing that you have it working would be great if I could buy the exact same components.

• 2 weeks later...

wow great you are still here so i really need help deciding what to do in my studio so i ll explain every thing and i hope some one can help me deciding

so first of all i have pro tools hd card with pci the old one in my studio working with pc ( windows 7 )

the motherboard is X7DA8 super micro and 2 xeon processor i want to go hackintosh with this board but with snow leopard not earlier to can run protools 8.0.3

so i searched every where on net for some one having this machine working with snow leopard i found one only but didnt writte even the method he did !!!

so i found that may be this motherboard not working yet !!:(

so i am now working to change the motherboard to gigabyte ud3r with core i7 920 i already found on ebay the used motherboard and processor and they will ship to me next week so i want to preapaire my self for that !! so any sugition ?!!

my question

1 - is it okay to install hd pci long card in the pci socket in this mother board without problem ?

or do u i have to use expansion chassis which is really expensive ?

2 - did any one fully success butting the pci card in another expansion chassis like ( vitara >> or something like that ?)

3 - if i found magma chassis with pci to pcie host card can i but it on pcie on this motherboard to use more than 2 pci card

finally i ant to apologize for my ugly english :) i am trying badly to explain what i want :) i hope you got it

thanx all for helping and for have time to understand what i want

waiting any hero for helping :):lol:

my question

1 - is it okay to install hd pci long card in the pci socket in this mother board without problem ?

or do u i have to use expansion chassis which is really expensive ?

It is OK to install HD Core (or Accel) PCI-X card in the PCI slot because PCI-X is upper compatible to PCI.

Actually, it is my configuration but with another motherboard.

However, GA-X58A-UD3R has only one PCI slot.

Also, the case must be large enough for long HD card.

I don't know much about expansion chassis.

My motherboard GA-EP45-UD3R has 3 PCI slots, and I plan to add HD Accel card(s) in near future.

2010-06-23 update:

The interface of PCI version of HD Core and Accel card looks like PCI-X, but actually it seems just PCI. I think it is because they were originally designed for the old PowerMac.

It is OK to install HD Core (or Accel) PCI-X card in the PCI slot because PCI-X is upper compatible to PCI.

Actually, it is my configuration but with another motherboard.

However, GA-X58A-UD3R has only one PCI slot.

Also, the case must be large enough for long HD card.

I don't know much about expansion chassis.

My motherboard GA-EP45-UD3R has 3 PCI slots, and I plan to add HD Accel card(s) in near future.

thanx for reply sorry my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R not x which is have 2 pci slot so as you mentioned i can install my hd core and accel card on it ! so do you think i am going in right way ?

thanx for reply sorry my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R not x which is have 2 pci slot so as you mentioned i can install my hd core and accel card on it ! so do you think i am going in right way ?

It should be fine, though I cannot totally guarantee.

Also, it is nice to know that GA-EX58-UD3R has 2 PCI slots, because I am looking for a new X58 based motherboard with 2 or more PCI slots.

Again, please confirm that HD cards don't conflict with other parts on the motherboard or in the case.

Good luck!

2010-06-23 updated:

It seems that GA-EX58-UD3R is discontinued and has only 4 memory slots, so I may want another one.

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread and thought it was pretty interesting. I have an IBM IntelliStation Z Pro 6223-24U that I'm trying to get working with an HD3 (PCI-x) system. I have it all loaded up with iDeneb 10.5.8, Pro Tools HD 8.0.3, and the cards. DigiTest shows all of the cards and all tests pass.

Whenever I try to open Pro Tools (fresh install, no dodgy plugins or anything other than stock) I can see / hear my 192 (attached to the core card) connect and clock but then I get a DAE -9162 error and Pro Tools quits. I have tried moving the cards around in every possible configuration but that doesn't help at all. There is something about PCI interrupts in the BIOS but I don't really know what that's all about so I left it the way it came. There is also an option for PCI MLT but I don't know how that relates either.

It's strange that everything acts like it's going to work only to have Pro Tools {censored} out with a -9162 error. I'd love to get this working if anyone has ideas!

• 4 weeks later...

I also having problem with my PT HD 2

my hackintosh is superstabil with everything from FIreforex to Logic Pro

but having issues with HD 2

and is startign to think it´s PCI related.

Can´t find any info regarding this.

Is there a way to give different PCI slots different ID?

:(

Did some more searching and saw that som other members had have the same problem

like Noizyboy and PTmixer.

Did you ever resolve that??

I used both Kakewalk and Cartri bootloader

but still is getting this glitches and looping during 10.6.2 and also 10.6.4

with PT HD 8.0.3

I also having problem with my PT HD 2

my hackintosh is superstabil with everything from FIreforex to Logic Pro

but having issues with HD 2

and is startign to think it´s PCI related.

Can´t find any info regarding this.

Is there a way to give different PCI slots different ID?

:D

Did some more searching and saw that som other members had have the same problem

like Noizyboy and PTmixer.

Did you ever resolve that??

I used both Kakewalk and Cartri bootloader

but still is getting this glitches and looping during 10.6.2 and also 10.6.4

with PT HD 8.0.3

I'm having the same problem and still didn't find a way.

It worked fine with HD2 but now with HD3 (had to cut a little part of a heatsink to accommodate the third PCI card), I'm having loops and glitches.

EP45 UD3R, QuadCore, 2x2GB Supertalent 800MHz, 4 SATA HDD, HD3 (PCI). 10.6.3 and PTHD8.0.3

I read something about IRQ conflict between HPET service and PCI bus (tried manually changing IRQ for PCI Slot 1 and no success)

I also disabled HPET (from BIOS) and got a startup crash. Changed HPET from 32 to 64 bits and no visible results. Still looping.

I read someone solved this by "changing DRAM from Auto to 5-5-5-18" but I have no idea where to find this and change it.

Others speak about DSDT settings but with no detail.

Can anyone that understands what I'm talking about (I don't) through some light? I would be very much appreciated by the community.

thanks,

Diego

It should be fine, though I cannot totally guarantee.

Also, it is nice to know that GA-EX58-UD3R has 2 PCI slots, because I am looking for a new X58 based motherboard with 2 or more PCI slots.

Again, please confirm that HD cards don't conflict with other parts on the motherboard or in the case.

Good luck!

2010-06-23 updated:

It seems that GA-EX58-UD3R is discontinued and has only 4 memory slots, so I may want another one.

i tried NEW mother board for another machine using hd 2 ( msi x58 platinum ) i am testing it right now and until now every thing is okay

i am looking for adding anothr accel card and sure i will need expansion chassis for that did any one try expansion chassis with hackintosh ? magma ? or other one ! please tell me

what about this MAGMA MIX SYSTEM EXPANSION PCI7RX 7 SLOT

This is my setup which so far is working with no issues

OSX 10.5.7

PT HD3 PCI (not PCIe)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R ( 1.1 with the newest R11 bios )

PNY GTS 250

Some quad core chip I had lying around.

I'm using a vanilla install with some kexts based on this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174385

Everything works correctly, iLok stuff, ethernet, onboard audio ( not that I really care .. ). All my plugins work with the exception of versions I had that were not intel compatible.

I will probably try bumping up to Snow Leopard once I feel like there is a really solid version of PT8 that is compatible.

One problem you might encounter is that using 3 full size cards is a problem on just about any board. On my board I had to remove and cut down one of the chipset heatsinks a bit to make room for the card. Something else to consider if you happen to be moving over from a G5 is that you will need a pretty large case, again because the cards are big.

Just thought I would add this in case anyone is considering it.

I have a very similar rig but with 10.6.3 and PTHD 8.0.3. I had Core and Accel cards installed in PCI 2 and 3 because of the heatsink. After I cut it to accommodate the Core card in PCI 1, I had this weird loop problem and audio glitches.

Is your system still working? Did you do any updates?

When I put my HD core in PCI 2 and Accel in PCI it got Kernel Panic when launching PT the first time then just restarted again and then it worked fine no loops an glitches.

But when I installed system in my studio I got the loop and glitches back (but not every start)

things I changed was adding another interface and connecting two fans to the mobo(i think.)

I will investigate this further tomorrow.

Are you other also having the Core in PCI slot 2?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :thumbsup_anim:

750W power supply

Coolermaster Cosmos case

Procontrol

max86.

This is my first foray at building a Hack. I've been reading everything I can about this.

I know MACs inside and out but have NO PC knowledge at all.

You state (above) you have an HD3 Accel system but you're running them on a PCI bus not a PCIx bus. Do you notice any bus speed problems with this?

Does anyone notice the bus bogging down?

I also have an HD Accel system. HD4 running on an old PPC dual 1.42MHz MDD.

Going to the G5 PCIx route is worthless at this point.

The only true PCIx mobos are server boards. They have 64bit 533MHz bus speed.

ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard.

I'd happily sell 2 cards to run an HD2 system with more speed.

Do you think this card will work in a Hack?

This is the recommended processor.

Intel Xeon W3520 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80601W3520

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

BillieJo.