• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

CloseToTheEdge

CloseToTheEdge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You need at least 3U rack, with enough space for ventilation. Especially if you keep it in the studio and use lots of passive cooling.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is passive cooling? The 2u I'm looking at is liquid cooled

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 921 posts
Passive cooling - fanless cooling. No fans on CPU, graphics card, etc... Minimizing the number of fans while maintaining optimal airflow is the key for noise reduction.

C4SI0

C4SI0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey so, I thought I would start a thread to verify people's experiences with using Protools hardware with their Hackintoshes. In particular, regarding the PCI - PCIe cards.

There are a couple of threads out there which touch on this, but none more recent than 2007, and the info is pretty inconclusive.

Please post your motherboards, video cards, and processor combos and results.

If you are going to try these with 10.6 you should definitely use Protools HD 8.0.3pr, because nothing works before this version on any machine running Snow Leopard.

I have pretty extensive experience using Protools on Mac, so I for sure could help if you do run into any problems.

thanks......

I have had no problems running Pro Tools M-Powered and LE under 10.5 and 10.6 on my hackintosh. I can't speak to HD. I don't see any problems. For what it's worth, my firewire interface will run perfectly off of the PCIe firewire card I have. I don't forsee any problems. Hope that helps.

pepechuelo79

pepechuelo79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I have had no problems running Pro Tools M-Powered and LE under 10.5 and 10.6 on my hackintosh. I can't speak to HD. I don't see any problems. For what it's worth, my firewire interface will run perfectly off of the PCIe firewire card I have. I don't forsee any problems. Hope that helps.

Same here.
Two Hackintosh with two ProTools.
One of them on a Gigabyte EX58UD5 + i7-920 + Geforce GTX 260, OS 10.6.2 (Kakewalk). ProTools LE 8.0.3 + MBox2Pro (via FireWire). Two monitors @2048 x 1152.
My old Hackintosh is a Gigabyte P34-DS3L + Q6600 + GT8600, OS 10.5.1 (Kaliway). ProTools LE 7.4 + MBox2Pro (via FireWire). Two monitors @1680 x one thousand something, can't remember.
No problem at all yet.
I'm very, very happy with both Hackintoshes.
Never a crash. Better than real Mac.

rarefaction

rarefaction

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey so, I thought I would start a thread to verify people's experiences with using Protools hardware with their Hackintoshes. In particular, regarding the PCI - PCIe cards.

There are a couple of threads out there which touch on this, but none more recent than 2007, and the info is pretty inconclusive.

Please post your motherboards, video cards, and processor combos and results.

If you are going to try these with 10.6 you should definitely use Protools HD 8.0.3pr, because nothing works before this version on any machine running Snow Leopard.

I have pretty extensive experience using Protools on Mac, so I for sure could help if you do run into any problems.

thanks......

Hi, I am using pro tools LE 8.0.3 with snow Leopard on an mac pro 8 core. So many problems. When i attempt to record, it says cannot allocate space on disk to record, or error -5000 and sometimes it says that the drive is read only. It is read and write. All of them are. I also made sure i formatted all the disks to be mac Os Extended journaled. I am using 4 drives. 2 internal and 2 external. 1st internal is the system drive. This is where the application pro tools resides. 2nd drive also internal, I only keep PT sessions, audio, video and other related media on this drive. 3 is time machine and 4th is a bunch of old sessions. I would really appreciate some help. I tried everything.

pepechuelo79

pepechuelo79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Hi, I am using pro tools LE 8.0.3 with snow Leopard on an mac pro 8 core. So many problems. When i attempt to record, it says cannot allocate space on disk to record, or error -5000 and sometimes it says that the drive is read only. It is read and write. All of them are. I also made sure i formatted all the disks to be mac Os Extended journaled. I am using 4 drives. 2 internal and 2 external. 1st internal is the system drive. This is where the application pro tools resides. 2nd drive also internal, I only keep PT sessions, audio, video and other related media on this drive. 3 is time machine and 4th is a bunch of old sessions. I would really appreciate some help. I tried everything.

Hi rarefaction,
You said that video and audio are into 2nd drive. Well, audio and video must to be in different drives.
Second, try to trash preferences and Digidesing databases. Use "ProTools Prefs & Database Helper" application. Download it from hxxp://www.jcdeshaies.com (replace xx by tt).
And finally, if these steps doesn't work, I suggest ask for help in DUC: duc.digidesing.com
Good luck, rarefaction

PD: Use http://www.digidesig...=...se&langid=1 to see what is the meaning of your error number
Edit: Sorry about the hxxp:// address. I've corrected it now.

nslsa66

nslsa66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all. Just finished building my first hackintosh using the ex58-ud3r mobo, and running snow leopard 10.6.2....Everything seemed stable, so loaded up Pro Tools. DIGI says PT 7.4 won't work with SL, but I had managed to get it going for about a day. All of a sudden, a few issues have surfaced. Issue 1: I keep getting a "disconnected" error, and my digi 003 controller goes offline (even though I haven't physically severed my FW connection)...Issue 2: CPU overloads (even though I'm monitoring my CPU status in PT, and it isn't even coming close to pegging)....The CPU overload happens rarely, but the disconnection from host is frequent and annoying. So I'm wondering if A)If anyone else has experienced these issues B)If these issues are most likely caused by the fact that PT 7.4 isn't supposed to work on SL, and that upgrading to the latest supported version will solve everything....or C)There's an issue with my firewire interface (I never installed any specific kext's for it, it just worked off the bat)

If anyone out there has any answers, questions, comments, concerns, or recommendations, that would be most excellent. Thanks!

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 921 posts
^ In order to start resolving any problems, using an SL supported version of PT would be a good idea.

nslsa66

nslsa66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, that's what I kind of figured. Just didn't want to throw another 150 bucks into this system, only to find I'll never get it working. Thanks for the reply!

nslsa66

nslsa66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE:

Well, I decided to install the 7.4.2 update in hopes that it may resolve my issues. Strangley enough, it completely crashed my OS. Even stranger, I recalled this update crashing my Mac Book Pro (but only after it was too late) So booted into safe mode, uninstalled pro tools, and OS working again. I reloaded Pro Tools (without the evil update) and now Pro Tools is working without any of the issues I mentioned earlier...Only getting the pesky occasional HW Buffer {censored} which I seem to get on every single computer i install PT on (windows or mac)...After being a 10 year user of Pro Tools, it may be time to switch to Logic.

pepechuelo79

pepechuelo79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
8.0.3 is the version of ProTools for Snow Leopard.
Using any previous version will end in unpredictable results.

sendblink23

sendblink23

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bassist for the band: "La Hermana De Miguel" - http://myspace.com/lahermana...

Hi rarefaction,
You said that video and audio are into 2nd drive. Well, audio and video must to be in different drives.
Second, try to trash preferences and Digidesing databases. Use "ProTools Prefs & Database Helper" application. Download it from hxxp://www.jcdeshaies.com (replace xx by tt).
And finally, if these steps doesn't work, I suggest ask for help in DUC: duc.digidesing.com
Good luck, rarefaction

PD: Use hxxp://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&action=abase&langid=1 to see what is the meaning of your error number

whats with the xx tt {censored}... Your links will not be blocked, having them as normal url links makes them *clickable... if you didn't knew that LOL

max86

max86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys
I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! -_-
Protools HD 8.03 running on 10.6.2

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE (bios 1408)
CPU: i7 860
Memory: 4GB Ripjaws DDR3
Graphics Card: zotac nVidia GeForce 9800GT
750W power supply
Coolermaster Cosmos case
Protools HD3 accel 3xPCIx cards
Procontrol

I use Samplitude to master my mixes and it seems to be running well in a VM under windows 7 64 bit using Parallels desktop 5. The only thing I'm still working on is getting the spdif optical of the motherboard to work so I can connect it to the 192 interface and monitor Samplitude properly, have any of you gone down this road? any success stories to tell? am i going about it the wrong way?
oh and firewire is missing on this board so I suppose i'm going to have to buy an pcie firewire 800 card to put in which is a drag but a small price to pay for upgrading my PCIx system, btw i was on a p4 XP system the last 4 years which was fine but I noticed with protools 8 the emergence of more and more cool RTAS only plugins and thought it was a good idea to go for an upgrade.
Good luck with your own builds !

Brahamnesik

Brahamnesik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I've a newbie. I've just installed OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard from Hazard in order to use a Pro Tools HD PCI - NOT PCIe card.

So far, I've reached the frst boot. From what I understand I need to install kexts but I'm a bit confused concerning the Pro Tools PCI card.

Is it going to work on Snow Leopard or do I need to install something specific to use PCI cards on an OS based on PCIe hardware?

Here's my computer details:

ASUS P5PQL PRO
Quad Q6600
4go G-Skill

Thank you for helping out! :P

ptmixer

ptmixer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello,

I've a newbie. I've just installed OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard from Hazard in order to use a Pro Tools HD PCI - NOT PCIe card.

So far, I've reached the frst boot. From what I understand I need to install kexts but I'm a bit confused concerning the Pro Tools PCI card.

Is it going to work on Snow Leopard or do I need to install something specific to use PCI cards on an OS based on PCIe hardware?

Here's my computer details:

ASUS P5PQL PRO
Quad Q6600
4go G-Skill

Thank you for helping out! :P

No, there's nothing special you need to do to make the PCI slots work -- they just do!

Brahamnesik

Brahamnesik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

No, there's nothing special you need to do to make the PCI slots work -- they just do!

Thanks a lot for the answer. That would be awesome if it's so simple. I thought it would be a lot of troubles to make a PCI or PCI-X card to work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I look forward to trying the install.

So far I haven't been able to do anything because I only have PS2 keyboard and mouse and sounds like OSX only recognize USB peripheral (which is logical...). So OSX launch, I have the welcome video but can't create account. ;)

Any users have success installing a Pro Tools PCI (or PCI-X) card on Snow Leopard 10.6.2? Any input would be welcome!

exxot

exxot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guys
I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :)

750W power supply
Coolermaster Cosmos case
Procontrol

Hi can you post more spec how you install the system. I cannot find any info regarding installing SL on ASUS P7P55D.

THX

PARKWAY

PARKWAY

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys
I just got mine up and running and it's fab ! :D

750W power supply
Coolermaster Cosmos case
Procontrol

I use Samplitude to master my mixes and it seems to be running well in a VM under windows 7 64 bit using Parallels desktop 5. The only thing I'm still working on is getting the spdif optical of the motherboard to work so I can connect it to the 192 interface and monitor Samplitude properly, have any of you gone down this road? any success stories to tell? am i going about it the wrong way?
oh and firewire is missing on this board so I suppose i'm going to have to buy an pcie firewire 800 card to put in which is a drag but a small price to pay for upgrading my PCIx system, btw i was on a p4 XP system the last 4 years which was fine but I noticed with protools 8 the emergence of more and more cool RTAS only plugins and thought it was a good idea to go for an upgrade.
Good luck with your own builds !

Please tell us more about your build. I want to build something that will take 3 PCI HD cards and function properly. I need the audio from spdif to play so if you've resolved that please give info. I can't find much info on ASUS motherboard/HD Hackintoshes, so hearing that you have it working would be great if I could buy the exact same components.

wael

wael

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
hi ths great topic i want to know first if it finished or still there ؟

ptmixer

ptmixer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I, and probably others, are still subscribed to this thread. So, not finished I guess is the answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy