Pro Tools HD with Hackintosh & Leopard or Snow Leopard

Noizyboy

98 posts in this topic

Okay, just for redundancy's sake, hav you tried to either innitialize the media dive, or use a different drive.

Which bootloader are you using?

It sounds like an installation problem. I would try a fresh install using the X58 motherboard script using PC EFI 10.3.

I had some weird drive and USB stuff happening with my first install. Re-installing with the above script fixed it.

It took me a little while to get around to this but I tried reformatting both drives and re-installing everything and I'm up and working again. I haven't installed the plugins that come with the ignition pack but I did install all of the audio plugins that are available in the 8.0.3 update. I skipped the video stuff though. If I find an issue with a specific plugin from the ignition pack I'll post it back but as of this moment I'm up and running!

Hi all, hi Noizyboy,

at this moment I'm working with a PC as follow:

Core2Quad 2.83 GHz (Q9550)

8 Gb Ram 1066 MHz

nVidia 9800GT 1 Gb

Pro Tool HD2 Accel PCI-x

running with OSX 10.5.8 , boot by internal pendrive.

All is working good.

Who sold me the computer tells that now I could put on it Snow,because he gave me a new bios, but I really don't know if then it will see again my old Pro Tools card.

What do you think about it?

Would be better buy another eSata and make a try, or do you think it will work for sure?

Sorry for my bad english and thanx in advance!

Chix

Hey Guys-

So I took the plunge and followed Noizyboy's lead and put together a new machine. The x58 thread was invaluable and the whole community has made this such an easy process so far. I am not familiar with any of this, so I was really taking a leap in the dark in trying to get this to work. Check out my sig for specs

I was able to successfully install SL using the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader that ran from the PreBoot CD that the x58 run_patch_installer script generated. Things seem to be working well, but now I am at sort of a loss as to what I do next. The video card is functioning, but I am suspecting that it is not fully functional; there seem to be redrawing problems and I can only select one screen resolution. Also, the onboard sound is not working yet...

I am trying to figure this out on my own, but if someone could break it down for me I'd be much obliged! I am assuming that I need different kext files for this added functionality... is it as easy as finding the right kext files and putting them in the "extra" folder on my hard drive?

Thanks for any help in advance, this investment has really helped me get a rig back up and running so I can work again.

Hi all, hi Noizyboy,

at this moment I'm working with a PC as follow:

Core2Quad 2.83 GHz (Q9550)

8 Gb Ram 1066 MHz

nVidia 9800GT 1 Gb

Pro Tool HD2 Accel PCI-x

running with OSX 10.5.8 , boot by internal pendrive.

All is working good.

Who sold me the computer tells that now I could put on it Snow,because he gave me a new bios, but I really don't know if then it will see again my old Pro Tools card.

What do you think about it?

Would be better buy another eSata and make a try, or do you think it will work for sure?

Sorry for my bad english and thanx in advance!

Chix

I would always recommend that you experiment with a cloned drive and not your original! I have two system drives for this very purpose. This way, it is highly unlikely that you will ever have downtime with your system. So, yes get a second sata drive, clone your drive, and then update.

N

Hey Guys-

So I took the plunge and followed Noizyboy's lead and put together a new machine. The x58 thread was invaluable and the whole community has made this such an easy process so far. I am not familiar with any of this, so I was really taking a leap in the dark in trying to get this to work. Check out my sig for specs

I was able to successfully install SL using the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader that ran from the PreBoot CD that the x58 run_patch_installer script generated. Things seem to be working well, but now I am at sort of a loss as to what I do next. The video card is functioning, but I am suspecting that it is not fully functional; there seem to be redrawing problems and I can only select one screen resolution. Also, the onboard sound is not working yet...

I am trying to figure this out on my own, but if someone could break it down for me I'd be much obliged! I am assuming that I need different kext files for this added functionality... is it as easy as finding the right kext files and putting them in the "extra" folder on my hard drive?

Thanks for any help in advance, this investment has really helped me get a rig back up and running so I can work again.

Yep, you are at stage one. You video card is certainly not working optimally yet, since it's still using a generic driver.

Did you follow the section in the guide regarding installing kexts directly from the script? If no, then do that. If yes then there are a few missing that you will need to install manually (using kext helper), or add to the kexts folder in the script and install from there.

The next thing you need to do is install the missing kexts to get everything working optimally.

First for video, do a search for OSX86 tools, and use this to generate a graphics string for your video card. This is pretty easy! You should find detailed instructions on how to do this on here somewhere.

Next, find the correct kext for your motherboard's audio chipset. I already gave somebody else info on how to get this working, so if you search around on here you should find it. I think I used vodoo's kext, but I'm not entirely sure right now.

Lastly, install the correct driver for your wireless adapter. If you followed my build, then go to the manufacturers site and download the latest SL driver.

N

Hi, I installed protools 8.03 on 10.5.6 and I have some weird graphic flashing issues und artefacts in the edit window now.

I guess I got to update to 10.5.8. Maybe a Quicktime update.??

Any commments.??? Thank you for the replies.

cheers

I had the same problem with my legit mac using 10.5.6. You should just upgrade to SL. Everything works better in SL for 8.0 and above.

Also, I didn't think that 8.0.3 was leopard compatible. Thought it was snow leopard only......

N

Thanks Noizyboy...

I followed the guide and set the video and audio kexts to the systems folder which seemed to sort out my video problems.

I think I correctly installed the graphics string using osx86 tools, which was pretty straight forward.

I tried installing voodoo's kext but it caused the system to just repeatedly boot to a kernel error after the bootloader, and I had to reinstall SL from square one.

So, things seem to be working well now, I don't desperately need the onboard audio since I can get by with DigiCoreAudio (my least favorite program of all time.)

My current issue is this: When I first boot the machine, it goes through the entire start up including the boot loader and then goes to a blue screen. Not a PC blue screen, but a Mac desktop looking blue screen. I can't see anything, but I notice certain commands such as the eject key or the shutdown key command work.

When I reboot, I ever get a kernel panic, or it boots into SL normally. On the third boot, it always boots to SL normally.

I guess this isn't too big of a problem since I can just boot the machine three times and know that I am going to get into SL, but it seems a bit abnormal. I am just trying to figure out if my install is stable yet.

Thoughts? I may just go ahead and reinstall SL from scratch and see what happens, but I don't want to push my luck :]

-Rick

PS. Thanks for all of your help so far, it has been invaluable!

I would always recommend that you experiment with a cloned drive and not your original! I have two system drives for this very purpose. This way, it is highly unlikely that you will ever have downtime with your system. So, yes get a second sata drive, clone your drive, and then update.

N

Thx N !

I did what you suggested to me, I 've formatted a external USB Hd , I've made a Carbon Copy Cloner copy for upgrade to Snow in a second time, but I can't boot from the new system on external USB: when I restart pushing "option" , when appears the apple, suddendly the pc reboot ...

Any further suggestion to boot from the new system?

Thx again!

Chix

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I've long been a mac / PTLE user, and recently moved to m-powered so I could use my rosetta 800 at 96k. However the system is pretty disappointing (particularly the 128 sample buffer minimum). I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon here and getting something going with a used HD core card.

I'm going to build around the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, basically copying the other working systems in this thread.

Also wondering if anyone has experience putting this into a rack case? i'm looking at this:

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/prod...?product_id=120

I'd love to keep it down to the two-space case if possible. But maybe I'm being unrealistic trying to stuff everything in there? I don't see myself going beyond HD1...

I'm sure i'll be posting more as things progress. Thanks to everyone here who has shared their experience!

Hey so, I thought I would start a thread to verify people's experiences with using Protools hardware with their Hackintoshes. In particular, regarding the PCI - PCIe cards.

There are a couple of threads out there which touch on this, but none more recent than 2007, and the info is pretty inconclusive.

Please post your motherboards, video cards, and processor combos and results.

If you are going to try these with 10.6 you should definitely use Protools HD 8.0.3pr, because nothing works before this version on any machine running Snow Leopard.

I have pretty extensive experience using Protools on Mac, so I for sure could help if you do run into any problems.

thanks......

I have had no problems running Pro Tools M-Powered and LE under 10.5 and 10.6 on my hackintosh. I can't speak to HD. I don't see any problems. For what it's worth, my firewire interface will run perfectly off of the PCIe firewire card I have. I don't forsee any problems. Hope that helps.

I have had no problems running Pro Tools M-Powered and LE under 10.5 and 10.6 on my hackintosh. I can't speak to HD. I don't see any problems. For what it's worth, my firewire interface will run perfectly off of the PCIe firewire card I have. I don't forsee any problems. Hope that helps.

Same here.

Two Hackintosh with two ProTools.

One of them on a Gigabyte EX58UD5 + i7-920 + Geforce GTX 260, OS 10.6.2 (Kakewalk). ProTools LE 8.0.3 + MBox2Pro (via FireWire). Two monitors @2048 x 1152.

My old Hackintosh is a Gigabyte P34-DS3L + Q6600 + GT8600, OS 10.5.1 (Kaliway). ProTools LE 7.4 + MBox2Pro (via FireWire). Two monitors @1680 x one thousand something, can't remember.

No problem at all yet.

I'm very, very happy with both Hackintoshes.

Never a crash. Better than real Mac.

Hey so, I thought I would start a thread to verify people's experiences with using Protools hardware with their Hackintoshes. In particular, regarding the PCI - PCIe cards.

There are a couple of threads out there which touch on this, but none more recent than 2007, and the info is pretty inconclusive.

Please post your motherboards, video cards, and processor combos and results.

If you are going to try these with 10.6 you should definitely use Protools HD 8.0.3pr, because nothing works before this version on any machine running Snow Leopard.

I have pretty extensive experience using Protools on Mac, so I for sure could help if you do run into any problems.

thanks......

Hi, I am using pro tools LE 8.0.3 with snow Leopard on an mac pro 8 core. So many problems. When i attempt to record, it says cannot allocate space on disk to record, or error -5000 and sometimes it says that the drive is read only. It is read and write. All of them are. I also made sure i formatted all the disks to be mac Os Extended journaled. I am using 4 drives. 2 internal and 2 external. 1st internal is the system drive. This is where the application pro tools resides. 2nd drive also internal, I only keep PT sessions, audio, video and other related media on this drive. 3 is time machine and 4th is a bunch of old sessions. I would really appreciate some help. I tried everything.

Hi, I am using pro tools LE 8.0.3 with snow Leopard on an mac pro 8 core. So many problems. When i attempt to record, it says cannot allocate space on disk to record, or error -5000 and sometimes it says that the drive is read only. It is read and write. All of them are. I also made sure i formatted all the disks to be mac Os Extended journaled. I am using 4 drives. 2 internal and 2 external. 1st internal is the system drive. This is where the application pro tools resides. 2nd drive also internal, I only keep PT sessions, audio, video and other related media on this drive. 3 is time machine and 4th is a bunch of old sessions. I would really appreciate some help. I tried everything.

Hi rarefaction,

You said that video and audio are into 2nd drive. Well, audio and video must to be in different drives.

Second, try to trash preferences and Digidesing databases. Use "ProTools Prefs & Database Helper" application. Download it from hxxp://www.jcdeshaies.com (replace xx by tt).

And finally, if these steps doesn't work, I suggest ask for help in DUC: duc.digidesing.com

Good luck, rarefaction

PD: Use http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...se&langid=1 to see what is the meaning of your error number

Edit: Sorry about the hxxp:// address. I've corrected it now.

Hi all. Just finished building my first hackintosh using the ex58-ud3r mobo, and running snow leopard 10.6.2....Everything seemed stable, so loaded up Pro Tools. DIGI says PT 7.4 won't work with SL, but I had managed to get it going for about a day. All of a sudden, a few issues have surfaced. Issue 1: I keep getting a "disconnected" error, and my digi 003 controller goes offline (even though I haven't physically severed my FW connection)...Issue 2: CPU overloads (even though I'm monitoring my CPU status in PT, and it isn't even coming close to pegging)....The CPU overload happens rarely, but the disconnection from host is frequent and annoying. So I'm wondering if A)If anyone else has experienced these issues B)If these issues are most likely caused by the fact that PT 7.4 isn't supposed to work on SL, and that upgrading to the latest supported version will solve everything....or C)There's an issue with my firewire interface (I never installed any specific kext's for it, it just worked off the bat)

If anyone out there has any answers, questions, comments, concerns, or recommendations, that would be most excellent. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Well, I decided to install the 7.4.2 update in hopes that it may resolve my issues. Strangley enough, it completely crashed my OS. Even stranger, I recalled this update crashing my Mac Book Pro (but only after it was too late) So booted into safe mode, uninstalled pro tools, and OS working again. I reloaded Pro Tools (without the evil update) and now Pro Tools is working without any of the issues I mentioned earlier...Only getting the pesky occasional HW Buffer {censored} which I seem to get on every single computer i install PT on (windows or mac)...After being a 10 year user of Pro Tools, it may be time to switch to Logic.