TP-Link TL-WN951N with Snow Leopard working!

Jursis

94 posts in this topic

Did you try the IO80211Family.kext fix?

Yes I have tried that in Snow Leopard and it did nothing at all. Also deleted AppleHPET from extensions. No change at all. ;) I tried using this fix on leopard and it just made the OS X stop recognising my card completely. I am going to have another go with a fresh install of Snow Leo and see if that makes any difference. The disconnection seems to occur when the data packets start to send, it just completely disconnects from the network and refuses to find any more until a full restart of OS X. I think that this is an OS X problem rather than the card though, because it connects fine and then just disconnects when using an internet browser, or software update etc.

Thanks for the reply!

Just giving this post a nice little bump to see if anyone has gotten it working with an i5 or i7 or if anyone has any ideas with this card. Thanks!

I don't think we have solution now,although the new iMacs and macbooks are equipped with the i7 processors.

Let's hope desktop macs(Mac Pro) get their upgrades soon with i7 and have our problem fixed.

I don't think we have solution now,although the new iMacs and macbooks are equipped with the i7 processors.

Let's hope desktop macs(Mac Pro) get their upgrades soon with i7 and have our problem fixed.

Yea, at this point it's a shot in the dark, and I'm not very optimistic, but hopefully that helps. Mac Pros and iMac stocks seem to be running low if you look at the posts on macrumors and other sites. :(

I've got this card working in Snow Leopard (C2D 2GHz) and i have isolated the problem of the disconnects. It is due to Adobe Flash Player. Any website that uses flash player makes the AirPort disconnect and unable to find networks until a reboot. Anyone have any ideas ?

I've got this card working in Snow Leopard (C2D 2GHz) and i have isolated the problem of the disconnects. It is due to Adobe Flash Player. Any website that uses flash player makes the AirPort disconnect and unable to find networks until a reboot. Anyone have any ideas ?

I would say just to make sure you have the most current available flash you can download the Windows/Mac/Linux versions here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

• 3 weeks later...

i have try all solutions above but non of 1 working on my SL 10.6.4

after install all kexts, my system can see the card detect as airport extreme but in network preferences it show " 802.11n WLAN is turned on but is not connected to a network"

i try manual setting but no luck, anyone have solution for 10.6.4 yet?? pls help...

my system setup :

intel Q9400

gigabyte EP45-UD3R

XFX 8800GT

OS install : retail SL DVD + USB image from lifehacker 64bit

I'm fairly new to the OSX86 world, so forgive me if there's something obvious I'm missing.

I just got this card (TL-WN851N) specifically because I understood it to be natively supported in 10.6. I installed the card--no dice. It works fine in Linux, but OSX can't detect it at all. It doesn't show up under PCI cards or Ethernet cards in System Profiler.

I'm running in 32-bit mode only right now, so I wasn't thinking it was related to the mentioned drivers, but just in case, I installed both AtherosFix.kext and IO80211Family.kext, and removed AppleHPET.kext. Still, the computer doesn't recognize the card.

I've tried it in two different PCI slots, with no luck in either. Any suggestions as to how to get the card recognized?

I'm running 10.6.4 on a Asus K5B Deluxe with a 2Ghz C2D.

I'm fairly new to the OSX86 world, so forgive me if there's something obvious I'm missing.

I just got this card (TL-WN851N) specifically because I understood it to be natively supported in 10.6. I installed the card--no dice. It works fine in Linux, but OSX can't detect it at all. It doesn't show up under PCI cards or Ethernet cards in System Profiler.

I'm running in 32-bit mode only right now, so I wasn't thinking it was related to the mentioned drivers, but just in case, I installed both AtherosFix.kext and IO80211Family.kext, and removed AppleHPET.kext. Still, the computer doesn't recognize the card.

I've tried it in two different PCI slots, with no luck in either. Any suggestions as to how to get the card recognized?

I'm running 10.6.4 on a Asus K5B Deluxe with a 2Ghz C2D.

Solved. Posting this here in case anyone else has the same problem. (I've seen a bunch of similar posts, and no consistent answers.)

The problem preventing recognition for me was that the TL-WN851N I received has a different device ID than those included in IO80211Family.kext. I don't know if this is because it's of newer manufacture, or whether the 851N and the 951N have different chips, but whatever the cause, my Device ID was 168c,29, rather than 168c,23 (as it seems most are). (For those as new as I am, ioreg is the built in terminal command that provides access to your system configuration; `ioreg | grep pci` provides a list of your unconfigured PCI devices by ID.)

The solution was editing IO80211Family.kext to include my Device ID. The relevant file on my system was /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist . In that plist is an array of Device IDs to match. (Mine included 168c,1c, 23, 24, and 2a.) I added a line for my Device ID, ran Kext Utility, and rebooted, and I'm now posting this over my wifi connection. I haven't tried this in 64-bit mode, and this doesn't resolve the i5/i7 problem, obviously, but for those having difficulty getting these cards recognized, this may be your solution too.

(I should note that I looked up my device id to verify that it was the right card, and that I'd already done the research to make sure the kext I was editing would work with my card. Futzing blindly with your kexts may cause more problems than it solves.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the TL-WN951N today, but speed is extremely bad in OS X. I get download speeds of something between 200-500 kb/s, but the connection seems to be perfect... In Windows i get like 1,2Mb/s. I got AtherosFix and the IO8211Family.kext installed.

Any tips how I could solve the speed problem?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm using 10.6.4

i have just got this card thinking that it will be working good, but i installed Hazard DVD 10.6.2 and its not working with PCI_EFI, so i installed Chamelon RC4 and it good recognized in Networks, but the status says = OFF, i press ON but it never gets ON :(

can anyone help me please?

Hey There,

i have bought a new WiFi Card by looking at a thread here that it works gr8 with snow leopard sad.gif

but in my case its not..

it never gets working without any kext, and if i select atheros upon installation and then add dev id to it and when i reboot the pc, it takes 1-2 mins on apple screen and when the desktop comes, nothing is clickable sad.gif

how can i fix that sad.gif and if i dont select atheros upon installation, it never gets detected in 32bit (i saw it works OOTB in 32Bit)..and when i use atherosfix.kext , the same problem!

My Specs:

Asus P5KPL-AM SE

Intel Core2Duo E7300 @ 2.66GHz

MSI ATI Radeon 4350 1GB

TP Link WN951N PCI Adapter sad.gif

I am using hazard distro (10.6.2)(32Bit) "can't boot in 64bit"

Any help please? sad.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I'm having same trouble as anybody

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - AtherosFix.kext + IO80211Family.kext installed

Running 64 bit mode: every so & so a message appear saying I need to restart my computer & everything freezes

Running 32 bit mode: as soon as I try to use the wi-fi adaptor I get a KP

Here is my hardware:

Mob: Gygabyte P55A-UD3 (Chipset A89T)

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @2.67GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 (ASUS G80)

Wi-Fi Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN951N

Anybody has any news bout this issue and how to solve it?

• 1 month later...

I've struggled with this card for months, but finally had success this morning.

My processor is:

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.83 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 12 MB

The motherboard is a GA-P35-DS3L (Gigabyte version 2.0)

Running 10.6.6

For some reason the system profiler still will not show it as installed in a PCI slot.

However I edited the Info.plist file in AirPortAtheros21.kext with the following strings

168c 0029

168c 29

168c 0023

168c 23

And ran kext utility

One of these must have brought the card to life because on reboot I have the airport bars and a perfect wireless connection.