TP-Link TL-WN951N with Snow Leopard working!

Jursis

94 posts in this topic

Yes it kernel panics in 32bits and in 64bits sadly

thx for your reply, too bad...

i know it's offtopic but maybe someone has quick answer: i'm looking for a wireless pci card that i can use for snow leopard, winxp/7 and linux ubuntu. this tp-link would've been nice because ubuntu works great with atheros chips. does anyone have a suggestion which one i should i get?

thanx for your help,

greetz,

vercetti.

• 1 month later...

Removing AppleHPET.kext did not work for me. I'm at 10.6.3 using the WN851N. Any other extra drivers that need installing? Thanks!

After instal 10.6.3 just remove AppleHPET.kext and everything is back to normal. WN851N works 32/64bit again. ;)

I have just installed a fresh i7 930 based snow leopard and upgraded to 10.6.3

I have a WN851N card and I have tried adding my id to both the kext provided in the first post and also removed applehpet.kext too

but no sign of airport card detected at all,worked fine on windows 7 though

please tell me how to get this to work on i7 10.6.3!

Just got my WN951N, plugged it in, got detected (under Ethernet) but no Networks showing up, put the AtherosFix from first Post into S/L/E/, restart, done. Core2Quad 9550 with 10.6.3 works great.

As far as I know there isn't a solution for Core i3,5,7 CPUs, yet.

I'm running SL 10.6.3 64 bit on Asus P5KPL/EPU

after install TL-WN951N then i'm installed AtherosFix.kext

restart not working

i try to install IO80211Family.kext => kernel panic after restart

I found solution

after delete AppleHPET.kext

restart everything working as airport

thanks for all of your help

screenshot20100416at143.png

KM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I would post this in case anyone else has the same issue I did. In 10.6.3 I couldn't get my TP-LINK TL-WN951N to work in 64-bit mode even with AtherosFix.kext. I tried out the IO80211Family.kext as well, but it didn't change anything. Then I deleted AppleHPET.kext, but nothing - still only 32-bit.

I noticed in 32-bit mode when the card is working, that it uses AirportAtheros.kext, so I did a little search on the forums for a 64-bit version of AirportAtheros.kext. I came across a thread in which someone posted a 32/64 version of IO80211Family.kext. I figured I'd try it out, and it turned out to be good - TL-WN951N is now running perfectly in 64-bit mode for me. Here is a link to the thread.

For reference, my system is an ASUS P5KPL-CM with Intel Core2Quad Q9550@2.83GHz, running Snow Leopard version 10.6.3, and AsereBLN v1.1.9 bootloader.

Just to recap: I have AtherosFix.kext sitting in Extra/Extentions, and AppleHPET.kext is deleted (not sure if these two are necessary in my case). The original IO80211Family.kext has been removed from System/Library/Extentions and replaced with the 32/64 version posted in the above thread. It works for me, so it might be worth a try if anyone else can't get the tips outlined in this thread to work in 64-bit.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else has the same issue I did. In 10.6.3 I couldn't get my TP-LINK TL-WN951N to work in 64-bit mode even with AtherosFix.kext. I tried out the IO80211Family.kext as well, but it didn't change anything. Then I deleted AppleHPET.kext, but nothing - still only 32-bit.

I noticed in 32-bit mode when the card is working, that it uses AirportAtheros.kext, so I did a little search on the forums for a 64-bit version of AirportAtheros.kext. I came across a thread in which someone posted a 32/64 version of IO80211Family.kext. I figured I'd try it out, and it turned out to be good - TL-WN951N is now running perfectly in 64-bit mode for me. Here is a link to the thread.

For reference, my system is an ASUS P5KPL-CM with Intel Core2Quad Q9550@2.83GHz, running Snow Leopard version 10.6.3, and AsereBLN v1.1.9 bootloader.

Just to recap: I have AtherosFix.kext sitting in Extra/Extentions, and AppleHPET.kext is deleted (not sure if these two are necessary in my case). The original IO80211Family.kext has been removed from System/Library/Extentions and replaced with the 32/64 version posted in the above thread. It works for me, so it might be worth a try if anyone else can't get the tips outlined in this thread to work in 64-bit.

Hm... the only problem i see is that you have a core 2 quad, not a core i#. I'll see about this though.

working in 10.6.3 64 bit using kexts at the start of the post. using a core 2 duo. thanks OP, was looking for an easy to setup wireless card and this one was the easiest.

EDIT: just patched to 10.6.4, looks like it's still working

I just had my wn851n lended to a friend,please someone with i7/i5 processor try out if the 10.6.4 update fixes the kernel panic in previous updates,then I could have my card returned and finally use it.

answering my own question:

I've tried the card again on my i7 system,even with native 10.6.4 kext and dev id added to it,after connecting to the net for a while,it would get kernel panic.So I dont think this is a kext problem,we may never be able to see this card working fine on i7 systems:(

Will look for a broadcom based pci card and see if it works though...

• 3 weeks later...