TP-Link TL-WN951N with Snow Leopard working!

Jursis

94 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

I just got this card in the morning TL-WN951N

post-273160-1260027736_thumb.jpg

And it's working perfectly with Snow Leopard 10.6.2!

This wifi card works OOTB with 32bit Snow Leopard.

Thanks to mm67 for help :(

--------------------------------------

32bit ONLY

Ok so to make it working follow this easy guide:

1. Install card in your computer (easy yeah?) :(

64Bit

To make this card working in 64bit you need to have AtherosFix.kext installed.

This kext has TL-WN951N id in it, so just put it in E/E and run Kext Utility

AtherosFix.kext with TL-WN951N id in it.

post-273160-1260028422_thumb.png

i5/i7 CPUs

it seems any i5/i7 hackintosh gets kernel panics with PCI based atheros ethernet devices.

I have a dlink DWA547 and it does the exact same thing. The same hardware and system disk did not KP when it was running with a P45 chipset and E8400 processor. Upgraded to an i7 and now it crashes. Setting Hyperthreading off and CPUS=1 stops it crashing but screws performance.

Suspect we need 10.6.3 to fix it as the i7 iMacs have a different build of OSX than 10.6.2

If this doesn't work for you, try this:

OK I got this to work in 64 bit with 10.6.1

In addition to the AtherosFix.kext I also needed to use a new IO80211Family.kext which was posted by himac59 over in the "Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556" thread.

With the (Netkas) Atheros21, 32/64bits, see www.netkas.com its from beta 10.6.2

IO80211Family.kext

Once these two were installed my card was recognized and I was able to configure it in the network preferences.

I apologize if I didn't post and credit properly but this actually works and I can get rid of my Edimax USB adapter that kept on disconnecting.

Thanks to rotkiv.

--------------------------------------

Good luck!

AtherosFix.kext.zip

I have no idea why one would add Realtek's device-id since this boards device-id is 168c:0023, same as for example Linksys WMP300N ver.2 or D-Link DWA-547. Also the functionality is same, if you use Leopard or SL 32-bit then everything works out of the box. If you want to use SL in 64-bit mode then you can use AtherosFix.kext by Netkas or do that same device-id injection in dsdt like I do.

I have no idea why one would add Realtek's device-id since this boards device-id is 168c:0023, same as for example Linksys WMP300N ver.2 or D-Link DWA-547. Also the functionality is same, if you use Leopard or SL 32-bit then everything works out of the box. If you want to use SL in 64-bit mode then you can use AtherosFix.kext by Netkas or do that same device-id injection in dsdt like I do.

What chip is inside the TP-link card? Why the AtherosFix for this card?

Are you sure add that divece id?, coz thats seems like realtek ethernet device :wacko:

yeah I'm sure.

I went to System Profiler PCI Cards and there is id

post-273160-1260035231_thumb.png

Do you run Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode? It is important for me as I seek to buy a wireless card that works seamlessly in 10.6.x 64-bit

As @mm67 said:

"If you want to use SL in 64-bit mode then you can use AtherosFix.kext by Netkas"

So yeah think should work fine.

AtherosFix.kext.zip

yeah I'm sure.

Yes, that is your onboard Realtek ethernet :wacko:

Go to ethernet cards in System profiler and you will see also your WLAN card

Yes, that is your onboard Realtek ethernet :)

Go to ethernet cards in System profiler and you will see also your WLAN card

ohh yeah u right (thanks for poiting that out)

but how the f... it's working if I added my onboard card there ?

i'm lost...

ohh yeah u right (thanks for poiting that out)

but how the f... it's working if I added my onboard card there ?

i'm lost...

As I said, it works out of the box if you are running 32-bit, you don't need to do anything. What you did do may have made your onboard ethernet non working, if I were you I would be undoing those modifications right now.

As I said, it works out of the box if you are running 32-bit, you don't need to do anything. What you did do may have made your onboard ethernet non working, if I were you I would be undoing those modifications right now.

yes you was right.. id of my wifi card was already there..

so to make it working in 64bit you need to have AtherosFix.kext with card id in it right?

my thanks to jursis and mm67

Mm67 can you please confirm that the Atheros chip wil work for 64-bit with the fix from Netkas? (I mean like: have you seen cases were this specific card works with that fix, or is it just 'probable'? Then I could order it right away.

@ jursis: How should you evaluate this card? Would you recommend it? I know you only very recently have it, but do you notice speed drops, packet loss, disconnections? (I'm having severe ones with the Asus Wl-138g)

my thanks to jursis and mm67

Mm67 can you please confirm that the Atheros chip wil work for 64-bit with the fix from Netkas? (I mean like: have you seen cases were this specific card works with that fix, or is it just 'probable'? Then I could order it right away.

@ jursis: How should you evaluate this card? Would you recommend it? I know you only very recently have it, but do you notice speed drops, packet loss, disconnections? (I'm having severe ones with the Asus Wl-138g)

Yes it works with AtherosFix, just removed device-id injection from dsdt and installed the kext file. Works fine in 64-bit mode.

i know that i just got it today, but can say everything is rock solid :)

works on Mac , windows seven. was playing MW2 just, everything is fine.

Can recommend you to get this card :thumbsup_anim:

I got that card too since Dec 2nd.

I can only second Jursis. That card is running like a dream. Under Mac OS, and under Windows 7.

It's a cheap, good working card ... so don't hesitate to buy it :) By the way ... TP-LINK products are quite good ... already got a USB WLAN stick and a router from them ... never had any probs with these items :)

yeah I'm sure.

As @mm67 said:

"If you want to use SL in 64-bit mode then you can use AtherosFix.kext by Netkas"

So yeah think should work fine.

Does this then run as an Airport device? Or what utility do I use to configure it?

I'm running 10.6.1 64 bit and the mac sees the card but I can't do anything with it right now even after installing the AtherosFix.kext. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does this then run as an Airport device? Or what utility do I use to configure it?

I'm running 10.6.1 64 bit and the mac sees the card but I can't do anything with it right now even after installing the AtherosFix.kext. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

dose it working in 32bit?

something strange:

i installed the card, not recognised, then installed the kext and it got recognised. but everytime i try to set up the card in the system panel, i get a kernel panic.

so i deinstalled the kext file, removed th card and installed it again. so, now it isn't getting recognised with the kext and without. when i boot with the snow leopard cd, in the installer, it gets recognised, but without any extra kext file or something (but when i choose a network when i'm in the installer the system freezes).

any advice? i just want ot get my wifi card back...

regards

In addition to the AtherosFix.kext I also needed to use a new IO80211Family.kext which was posted by himac59 over in the "Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556" thread.

IO80211Family.kext

Once these two were installed my card was recognized and I was able to configure it in the network preferences.

I apologize if I didn't post and credit properly but this actually works and I can get rid of my Edimax USB adapter that kept on disconnecting.

IO80211Family.kext

Thanks man. I edit first post, might help someone :rolleyes:

IO80211Family.kext

I just don't get the point of running 10.6.1 with 10.6.2 network kext, why not just run 10.6.2 and not mess with the networking kexts.