STEALING destroys Mac gaming

A Nonny Moose

29 posts in this topic

Thats right...most of "pirates" wouldnt buy those games anyway so the damage is minimal, its just that software companies would like you all to think that they loose money with piracy but its just the opposite...

If the game is good it is more "pirated" thats true, but "pirates" do talk about the game too and cos of that there are also more originals sold, specialy if you wanna play online...

Yeah, the worst way to make money is to produce a crappy game but market it heavily.

This is anecdotal, but I once met an author, and I asked him what he thought about used books, because used books are books that someone is reading where the author doesnt make any money off of them.

He said "Anything that gets people to read my books makes me money. Giving books to your friends, downloading them off the internet, etc, for every reader I get, I make $$s. Word of mouth is the best marketing".

I take that to heart.

Something else that's interesting is that World of Warcraft doesnt require the CD to play, because Blizzard wants you to take your cds, and the invite you got and give them to a friend.

If I was an online game producer, I'd give the software away along with a free month trial.

There are ways against piracy, although there are many disadvantages to them. Valve has been pretty damn successful with keeping pirates away from their multiplayer games on Steam. EA has also been quite successful with Battlefield 2. If companies implement methods like this, it will stop the majority of piracy, but it will also create some problems. For example, with Counter-Strike Source, if you want to play it and you don't have an internet connection, you're SOL. I dislike the new piracy features, but if they have to do it, they should.

Actually, whats most likely afflicting Mac gaming right now is the minimal amount of unibin games and updates. Not to mention the PC has a much larger world of programmers for games behind it (even if they code the games on a Mac, they sure don't realease em all on a Mac).

Besides, it's not unheard of for sofware developers to leak cracks of certain products from time to time, why? Because it's been proven to increase sales! Piracy is a fight primarily sought out by smart businesses whom realize that by sueing and prosecuting pirates they can only stand to gain even more profit.

If I was an online game producer, I'd give the software away along with a free month trial.

I'll NEVER understand why they don't do that, so yes you don't make money the 1st month of exploitation but it'll spread like a virus :D Blizzard got the idea, cause you're not forced to buy the game, just dl it from the internet or get it via a friend. Most of those games are totaly overpriced, 50/60€ for 1 month of playing? they are kidding...

Absolutely. I'd be much more likely to spend money with them if they gave me free trials. I refuse to pay good money for stuff I dont want. And since I cant decide I dont want it after I've paid the money, I download. If the game stinks, well... I dont buy it. If it's good, like Dawn of War or AoE3 or Warcraft 3, then I'll buy it. I foolishly bought Oblivion; What a boring game.

The only solution to piracy I belive is to give something with the package that pirates cant. I mean, I can dl a game, but if with the package version I get maybe a free T-Shirt/Posters/Bonus DVD/Soundtrack/Other Cool Stuff, I would buy it. But these days, I bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, what do I get. Small crappy manual, 1 DVD with a paper cover and a whole lotaa air. For 50$, thats all. 1 F*cking DVD. I mean not even a CD/DVD case. That is the only game I am gonna buy for the next ten years. Also 50$ for a game, that I finished in like 5 Days.

Games like CS, NFS, Quake are all worth the price. They have awesome replayability. Which is why I only buy such games with massive online appeal.

BTW: Does it work without 3D accell? Where can i DL the game? :D

Frankly, most of the good games dont come out for the mac. (good is subjective, of course, because I personally only like RTS and RPG). I know why games arent developed for the mac; a combination of cost/value and a lack of mac programmers. I would think that Apple would be doing everything they could to encourage developers to make Mac equivalents.

"STEALING destroys Mac gaming" - I can't believe how merkinaceous this statement is.

This is capitalistic propaganda. There is a heavy fog over modern society and 99% of people within it can't see it. Even some of the people who can see it are too comfortable with the instant gratification to complain. I am refering to widely held belief, maintained through brainwasahing, that profit and capitalism are king. The promotion of this belief is like a self supporting cycle, along with the consumer lifestyle that makes a lot of people disatisfied, but none the wiser as to the reason why. Consumption does not equal satisfaction, but the fog prevents people seeing this.

I do play computer games and watch television occasionally, but I try to add as little fuel to the capitalistic fire as possible. Some people think I'm weird, and they are entitled to think that. I absolutely refuse to spend a single penny on games or films.

What I am saying is that in my honest opinion, so called stealing from software companies and some shops is totally ethical. Companies try to create huge desires for their products. People are unable to resist. This is manipulation and exploitation.

But.............

...........ya gotta laugh init!

I think we should be clear on this: Software piracy is illegal. It's moral and ethical connotations are entirely subjective. If you feel that it's wrong to do it, that's your business. If you dont feel it's wrong, then dont let what other people say/think stop you.

I personally dont think it's unethical to use a product I didnt pay for. The reason why I think this is because the people who made the product went out of their way to make people want to use it/have it. I understand that there is very little incentive for people to do stuff without being paid for their work. And I agree, to a point. Software companies arent hurting, and if they are, it's not because I wont buy their products.

It can be equated to the idea of rich people paying more taxes than poor people. When a new tax comes up which affects rich people, the common line is:

"It's not fair that I should have to pay more just because I have more!"

My response is...

"It's not fair that you're rich and I'm not. The world isnt fair."

I am going to continue using software that i didnt pay for, and if Microsoft or OS X or Adobe or whoever doesnt like it, they can call the police.

Further to my point, in my opinion, this photo describes the effect of capitalism and consumption on individuals.

leaving_this_world_b.jpg

The expression on their faces seems to scream "Why do I do this everyday?". Surely they should be happy in their wonderful city jobs, earning lots of disposable income, to wallow in their consumption (dare I say Macbook Pro's which they don't really need), at the height of technology in the 21st century. Have you seen the Matrix?

Surely people would be happier if they raised their own crops and skills traded with each other in small communities with sharing as the primary ethic. We would actually be connected to the planet we live on as opposed to blindly killing it.

I see the statement "stealing is destroying mac gaming" as supporting the system that is smothering humanity. Maybe I had the wrong mushrooms on my pizza, but I wish that these sorts of points of view were more prevalent.

Just a bunch of opinions that I know are pretty much at odds with the mac cult. Still, mustn't grumble ...............

Capitalism doesnt ruin people or make them unhappy. Buying into capitalism is what does that. No one forces you to buy into capitalism. If you want to go buy a piece of land and live simply, no one is stopping you. I personally would love to own a little square of land with a trailer on it, have solar panels for electricity and have free satelite TV. Maybe some day.

I dont need a car to do anything I do, so that's no expense for me.

I like to spend a little money on food, cigarettes, laundry, toiletries and such and whatnot... but my monthly expenses aside from rent and utilities amount to about $300.

Speaking of Halo, still waiting for that Universal binary. . . they started it in Ferbruary, I hope it at least comes out this year.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that too. When I emailed them in February, they said it would take about 8 weeks for the unibin to come out. It's been 5 months and still nothing. What's taking them so long? I want to run Halo on my MacBook without running it under Rosetta.

Halo was originally made for the Macintosh wasn't it? Then Microsoft took over and claimed it was theirs. Am I right?

You're completely right. If it wasn't for Microsoft, Apple would have finally had a good game that was just for the Mac and was actually fun.