[BETA] Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta 3

kalel83

13 posts in this topic

My 7300GT not supported.

it seems they say nvidia gpus need to be 8xxx series or above for hardware acceleration.

it says that it isn't supported on my eee pc with intel 950, yet flash movies definitely are getting some sort of boost, i can actually watch things now, as before 10.1 i couldn't as it was choppy to all hell. with 10.1 it isn't anymore.

i'd test it anyway, just incase..

I though I would try this, and here are a couple of rudementary results using Activity Monitor to gauge CPU usage of Flash Player (Safari Internet plug-in) while playing a couple of random videos.

(Click HD Button in YouTube player)

Flash Version installed v10.0.32.18 - CPU Usage - 88.9%

Flash Version installed v10.1.54.45 - CPU Usage - 84.0%

The Bay Bridge (Click The Bay Bridge and choose 1080p)

Flash Version installed v10.0.32.18 - CPU Usage - 141.1%

Flash Version installed v10.1.54.45 - CPU Usage - 116.2%

Note, the CPU figures quoted were taken from screenshots I took at roughly the same time into playing each clip.

So this is hardly conclusive, but my CPU usage did show a noticeable drop when playing the Bay Bridge 1080p video.

There's no gpu acceleration support for mac or linux, only windows. Lucky for us they have optimized the video playback at least.

YEP !!

From Adobe FAQ:

Why is hardware decoding of H.264 only supported on the Windows platform?

In Flash Player 10.1, H.264 hardware acceleration is not supported under Linux and Mac OS. Linux currently lacks a developed standard API that supports H.264 hardware video decoding, and Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. We will continue to evaluate when to support this feature on Mac and Linux platforms in future releases.

• 2 weeks later...
YEP !!

From Adobe FAQ:

Why is hardware decoding of H.264 only supported on the Windows platform?

In Flash Player 10.1, H.264 hardware acceleration is not supported under Linux and Mac OS. Linux currently lacks a developed standard API that supports H.264 hardware video decoding, and Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. We will continue to evaluate when to support this feature on Mac and Linux platforms in future releases.

sucks, i thought the whole thing about snow was opencl. Graphics acceleration? Alas i dunno if opencl actually does anything. I can't tell a difference in speed.

2010!?

That was a error i actually copied of adobe's website, you can see it in the first link assuming they haven't fixed it from now to when you are reading this. Fixed it here, as obviously this wasn't released next year.