[Beta 2] ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac OS X

kalel83

13 posts in this topic

Update - A new version was released, though I forgot to mention it here until now.. :)

http://beta.eset.com/

June 10, 2010

Public Beta 2 has been released for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac. The new build features several enhancements and repairs bugs that had been discovered in the first Beta release. For a complete list of enhancements and bug fixes, click the Changelog tab above. To download the latest version, click the download button to the left. If you are using a previous version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac, be sure to uninstall it before installing the latest version.

32/64-bit Beta(33.04 MB)

Changelog

June 10, 2010

The following are new or revised features for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac (build 4.0.26):

General

* Advanced setup is now available for on-access protection

* New GUI for the uninstaller

* Quarantined files can now be restored to a specific location with the "restore to" button

* Last scanned file is displayed in the statistics window

* Icon and report messages have been added to the tray

* Quarantine folder is now scanned after every update

* Silent mode and fullscreen mode have been added

* Alternate Data Streams are now scanned

* "Test mode" is available to download pre-release beta modules and updates

* The "About ESET" window includes more detailed system information

* Files can now be sent to ThreatSense.NET for analysis

* Added splash window at system startup

* Multiple items can now be selected in lists

* Update cache can now be cleared

Fixes

* On-access scanner no longer interferes with other applications

* Configuration settings can be imported/exported without issue or interference with the status icon or ADS scanning

* The on-demand scan progress bar displays correctly

* Scheduler performs properly

* Tooltips functionality has been repaired

* The GUI for unprivileged users has been repaired

* Various graphics and design bugs have been fixed

January 8, 2010

The following are new or revised features for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop:

General

* Fixed GUI failure that had occurred in some cases during configuration imports

* System font warnings no longer display

* Added advanced "About" window and "Splash" screen

* Added information windows about detected and cleaned infiltrations

* Support for selection of multiple items from lists

December 2, 2009

The following are new or revised features for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop:

General

* initial release (no changes)

Known Issues

* font error reported on initial installation

* no popup displayed when threat found

* status icon turns red when signature update fails

These and other identified issues will be resolved in future builds.

http://beta.eset.com/macosx/

No personal computer exists in a vacuum. As elegantly designed as Macs are, a connected world means that their popularity attracts the attention of malware writers and virus engineers. Not only can malware and other threats attack the Mac OS X platform directly, but Macs can also serve as a carrier of Windows or Linux-based threats. Network shares, email and removable media like USB keys are easy ways easy ways for multiplatform malware to spread under the radar.

The Mac's meteoric rise in popularity makes the Mac OS X platform more likely to be a target for cybercriminals looking to profit from the perception that Macs are invulnerable to from viruses, worms, trojans and other threats. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac OS X brings to the Mac world protection that Windows users have trusted in and depended on: the smart proactive detection and small footprint of our ThreatSense® technology. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 will keep you and your network safe from emerging Mac OS X and cross-platform threats without system slowdowns. Advanced heuristic technology recognizes and nullifies novel threats while other AV solutions are still waiting hours or days for signature updates.

Latest News

December 2, 2009

The first public beta for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop is now available.

Based on our technology for BSD, Linux, and Solaris servers, ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop has evolved to provide a GUI and feature set similiar to ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Microsoft Windows.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop (MENA) is built on ThreatSense, the industry's most accurate proactive technology for detecting viruses and other malware, delivering proactive protection against zero-day threats and attacks. Features of ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop include:

• advanced scanning settings (comparable ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 for Windows)
  • detection of threats for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and other operating systems
  • informative graphs, statistics and logs
  • removable media scanning
  • proxy support
  • scheduler for automating scans
  • support for both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel CPUs
  • ThreatSense.NET sample submission

This beta test version is a precursor of the final product without full functionality and documentation. It is intended for experienced Mac OS X users and should not be installed on computers that perform critical tasks because it may cause errors or crashes. We are not testing for compatibility with nor are we able to support ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop on non-Apple hardware. For additional information and known bugs for this release, see the Changelog tab, above.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac OS X

32/64-bit Beta Download (26.21 MB)

pdf.gifDownload the User Guide

General Questions

Q1: What is ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop?

A1: ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop is ESET's anti-malware offering for Intel-based Apple computers.

Q2: How do I obtain a copy?

A2: Download links and information are available at http://beta.eset.com/.

Q3: Why do I have to fill out a form to download the beta?

A3: You do not have to fill out the form to download the beta, however, if you do we will be able to contact you via email during the beta test cycle to announce new releases or provide other urgent information.

Q4: How many beta test releases will there be?

A4: ESET does not have a public schedule for when new beta test builds will be released. New beta test builds will be released in response to feedback from bug reports and feature requests as well as to add additional functionality to the software.

Q5: How long will the beta test program run for?

A5: The beta test cycle for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop will run until the program reaches the necessary levels of quality, performance and reliability.

Q6: What happens at the end of the beta test program?

A6: At the end of the beta test program, a message will be sent to testers who provided a contact email address letting them know the exact date the beta test version ceases to work. If you did not provide contact information, you will only receive notifications through thrugh the program when the beta test version's license has expired.

Q7: How do I provide feedback?

A7: There are two ways to contact ESET in order to report a bug, request a feature or ask a question regarding ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop:

Please keep in mind that ESET may not respond to your report unless additional information is required in order to replicate the problem.

Public Beta 1 Questions

Q1: Is a list of known issues available?

A1: A list of known issues can be found in the Changelog tab.

Q2: Which versions of Mac OS X are supported?

A2: ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop runs on Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x both 32-bit and 64-bit (AMD64/EMT64) architectures are supported (where applicable).

Q3: What are the specific hardware requirements?

Q3: Hardware requirements are still being finalized and we are hoping you will report your experiences back to us. In general, the highly optimized code and moderate system requirements mean it should work on any computer capable of running Mac OS X 10.5.

REV. 20091201AG

Of all the AV software i've used, NOD32 ver4 is the best for Windows. It has an insanely light footprint, and a high level detection rate. I'm so excited they are doing AV software for Mac... it's in Beta so I'm sure it needs a lot of work... but if anyone can do it, these guys can.

Let us all hope that they don't charge exorbitantly prices.

Lastly... Let's hope the torrents for such are available too...

And that it doesn't mess up our existing smoothly working Snow Leopard X64 bit versions.

OR even the 32bit Snow Leopard & Leopard installations on Hackintosh installations.

Importantly, just check the ESET released info:

This beta test version is a precursor of the final product without full functionality and documentation. It is intended for experienced Mac OS X users and should not be installed on computers that perform critical tasks because it may cause errors or crashes. We are not testing for compatibility with nor are we able to support ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Mac OS X Desktop on non-Apple hardware.

He he he.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

What file was that?

Note: I have seen a number of these (false positives?) about a certain file in the Chameleon boot loader package when I used clamXAV

player.dmg and it contains a Trojan, but OSX detects it without a special Antivirus Program, just different names for this Trojan.

Screen_shot_2009-12-05_at_7.13.59.jpg

Even I've had it installed and been running it since the news after downloading it directly from ESET website.

It is running right now on (obviously!) :hysterical: non-apple hardware, and has been running more than perfectly.

It even detected two infected files on my Windows 7 x64 & WinXp x64 installation volumes,

Additionally, about 12+ files on my friends portable 40GB external HDD.

That's gr8.

But one of the (influential) prime reason why I switched over to Mac OS X is that nothing "Autoruns" in Mac OS X.

Hence, no matter what virus = VBScript, .BAT, EXE, COM, INF, embedded .JPG, etc.. whatever $h1t;

It just won't run... And all my data os other wise safe... even that downloaded through torrents...

I was even extremely happy when I could use NortonAV 2009 on Leopard.. which is still there... and it could detect and remove viruses... Though it was more like deleting those files directly...

Nonetheless, the moral of the story ... there should be and Antivirus for Mac .. not Bcoz it "would" get infected.. but it passes on files that could infect WinBlows :laser: .. through email.. or whatever.. File sharing: like Torrents, DC++. IRC... etc...

you get it?

That's just my two cents :2cents: , nothing else... I appreciate the efforts :) of AV makers... but not the exorbitant charges and dumb-a$$ personal data pooling.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

just because there is a small number of threats on osx currently, doesn't mean that won't change in the future

also, i can't believe you run norton_anything. i stay away from that company like it's the plague.. which it is

just because there is a small number of threats on osx currently, doesn't mean that won't change in the future

also, i can't believe you run norton_anything. i stay away from that company like it's the plague.. which it is

If you are referring to me using Norton AV, Is till found it the best one since ages.

I gave up on using it since NortonAV 2005; since it became the most resource hungry application,

in a away the most bloated, bloatware.. that too an antivirus. even more so the last versions would simply delete the files, never clean it of the infected code.

But the '09 version on a Hackintosh doesn't load up on th system too much and neither my system bogs down under that much load.

I used it on a Dual-Core Pentium 3.4GHZ, currently using a 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo OC'ed to 3.51 GHz and yet my complete system load maxes out processor usage at 5% or 7%, tops! There is still more room to spare for other applications,

[Oh! BTW, I do run VMWare 3.0 with Win98 - 64MB RAM+1GB Virtual HDD with other 4+5 apps running continuously.. including Firefox, Safari and Chrome together, + Adium, iChat, Pages + Word, Excel ..and ESET NOD32, himmelbar, iStat Pro menu vers., Temperature Monitor and Namely.. at minimum.]

Even while Video (re-)encoding, etc. jobs... doesn't go beyond 35-40%.

So, you see.. I liked that at least there was one AV (Norton09) for OS X platform, till I used Intego Virus Barrier, but apart from its interface I didn't like much the functionality. ClamXAV ... i didn't get to use it much coz I had tried it onLeopard... didn't encounter any viruses in that period and then had to format + re-install it for Snow Leopard.

Since then, not used any AV till yesterday -> ESET NOD32.

BTW, moreover, currently using Norton 2010 with Trial Reset ;) in Windows 7 x64.. works Great!

It's better than before ... and I stopped using ESET coz last time.. there were Viruses that got detected in Mac OS X Norton 2009, that ESET NOD32 x64 bit in Windows 7 x64 didn't detect and the installation got infected and ruined several of my EXE setups on my Setups Volume.... about 3GB in size! Crucial ones... you know!

Hence, I gave up on it.

Now as Norton AV 2009 is yet incompatible with Snow Leopard (i386) 32-bit and X64 (X86_64) hence, waiting for their latest release so that I can remove ESET NOD32!

Only reason I am using it is cozthere is no other alternative... in my opinion... nothing else.

I suffered a loss, hence, I'm wary of wandering to some other products as well...

On the other hand TH, ClamX AV; I've heard it's good... but pretty damn slow... and doesn't scan as thoroughly as NOD32 & NAV... when I had tried it in Leopard 10.5.6 with AnVXNU 9.8.0 kernel and currently Vanilla Kernel as I switched to a Core 2 Duo ;):)

OK, I'll continue later... gotta rush... even though it is a Sunday...

Just my two cents... :2cents:

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

It's better than before ... and I stopped using ESET coz last time.. there were Viruses that got detected in Mac OS X Norton 2009, that ESET NOD32 x64 bit in Windows 7 x64 didn't detect and the installation got infected and ruined several of my EXE setups on my Setups Volume.... about 3GB in size! Crucial ones... you know!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

what was the virus?

• 6 months later...