How to unload bad Kext?

KeFfBoY

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am a totally new Hackintosh users so please be nice :wacko:

I have installed OSX Leopard 10.5.6 and it installs well on my system. Now to the questions.

If I install a kext that doesnt' work (for example when picking the wrong gpu kext which results in a blank screen when entering OSX) is there any way to restore the previous state? So far I have had to reinstall the whole system each time I made a mistake, because I knew no way of removing a bad kext! ;)

So, to clearify. Is there any way to load a safemode, or to remove the kext from outside of the system somehow? :(

Thanks!

Anton

I wish i could help, but im kinda facing the same problem... :s

My Mobo is a Gigabyte EP45-Extreme, had problems with my Nvidia card cuz its a 9600GSO! BUT i managed to manually install it with the great help of the Uinstaller that came bundled with the final Ipc :)

I'm having a hard time installing my sound card, the built in and the the one i have for music (Its a creative Audigy 2zs Platinum) any help?

Thanks, and btw.... GREAT WORK GUYS!!!!! keep it up :D

You can try booting in safemode by using the "-x" option in your boot loader. Also, you could boot up in Windows with MacDrive software installed to access your Mac OS X partition and remove the kext manually. Don't forget to rebuild the kext cache on next boot with the "-f" option.

Hi everyone, I am a totally new Hackintosh users so please be nice :)

I have installed OSX Leopard 10.5.6 and it installs well on my system. Now to the questions.

If I install a kext that doesnt' work (for example when picking the wrong gpu kext which results in a blank screen when entering OSX) is there any way to restore the previous state? So far I have had to reinstall the whole system each time I made a mistake, because I knew no way of removing a bad kext! :)

So, to clearify. Is there any way to load a safemode, or to remove the kext from outside of the system somehow? :)

Thanks!

Anton

Make sure you back up your extensions before installing new ones, or after installing ones that work. If one doesn't work boot single user (-s, I also -f -v -x just to be safe) and do this:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NameOfBadKext.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

exit or reboot, your choice.

Or, if you backed up extensions and know location of that folder boot single user and...

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw

cp -r /Location/Where/The/Backup/Is/Don't/Type/This/Dummy (there's a space here and you will type what come next) /System/Library/Extensions

exit or reboot, your choice.

Those are what worked for me, hope they work for you.

Make sure you back up your extensions before installing new ones, or after installing ones that work. If one doesn't work boot single user (-s, I also -f -v -x just to be safe) and do this:

Or, if you backed up extensions and know location of that folder boot single user and...

Those are what worked for me, hope they work for you.

I've had this happen a few times... I boot off the OS CD, but instead of installing, i goto Utilities->Terminal. Once there, I can remove a kext to my desktop to keep it from loading. Example command from terminal...

sudo mv -f /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/xxxxxx.kext /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/{insert user name here}/Desktop

Since now it's no longer in the Extensions folder, it's on your desktop, it won't load the next reboot. So reboot away.

I've had this happen a few times... I boot off the OS CD, but instead of installing, i goto Utilities->Terminal. Once there, I can remove a kext to my desktop to keep it from loading. Example command from terminal...

sudo mv -f /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/xxxxxx.kext /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/{insert user name here}/Desktop

Since now it's no longer in the Extensions folder, it's on your desktop, it won't load the next reboot. So reboot away.

For some reason I've always had issues using the terminal from the installer. Not sure why, it's just never done what I wanted it to do, pretty sure it's me not doing something right... I'll give that a try next time I need to remove a bad kext though. Cheers.

For some reason I've always had issues using the terminal from the installer. Not sure why, it's just never done what I wanted it to do, pretty sure it's me not doing something right... I'll give that a try next time I need to remove a bad kext though. Cheers.

Make sure you supply the filename on the destination (I left it out of my example)... Also note that \ before the space in the volume Macintosh HD. If you type Mac and press TAB it will auto fill (useful linux trick)

sudo mv -f /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/xxxxx.kext /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/myusernamegoeshere/Desktop/xxxxx.kext