Chameleon Bootloader CD Won't Boot at ALL (Dell Inspiron 1525)

Ownage1100

11 posts in this topic

As posted on chameleon's forums:

EDIT: Attached specs do not seem to view correctly. You can check it out here: http://pastebay.com/73784

I am using this version of the Chameleon Bootloader http://macyourpc.com/2009/09/13/mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-retail-install-boot-132-method/

This and EmpireEFI once booted fine on my machine. I even successfully installed mac to a USB disk. Now this bootloader, the stock chameleon bootloader, and EmpireEFI will NOT make it to the bootscreen at all. I have tried the cdboot file from the latest version of chameleon to no avail. The following is displayed

reading ramdisk image bt(0,0)/Extra/PreBoot.dmg (sometimes with a \ at the end)

no ramdisk config.....

Mounting done..

and boom it freezes.

I am able to boot this fine in VMWare, but not on my PC. I have made no changes to my computer other than reformatting and repartitioning my HDD (to MBR). I also tried disabling all "unneeded options" in BIOS such as wifi, NETWORK, MULTITHREADING, ETC.

What could be going on? Bellow is my system specs from Windows 7 System info dump

""""I even successfully installed mac to a USB disk.""""

So you have a backup, if not can you install to USB disc again?

."""" I have made no changes to my computer other than reformatting and repartitioning my HDD (to MBR). """"

I would say that is a major change, Was it MBR when it was working or GUID?

My disk was ALWAYS MBR. I don't know if it was an MBR\GUID hybrid or not (i doubt it). I reformatted after my MBR partition table got messed up during repartitioning.

As for the USB disk goes, I had to use it to restore my data back on my PC so I deleted the snow leopord from it.

The point is that the disk should work, whether MBR or GPT, and I absolutly refuse to reformat my disk to GPT. I want an MBR install. I also shouldn't need a USB disk. I successfully booted chameleon before without the USB disk plugged in (I then realized mac would only install to a GPT disk without patching OSInstall.kext, so I just went ahead and restarted and installed on the USB disk).

anyone

Im having the the same problem with empire efi. Mounting:done then ebios error and nothing happens. All my hardware is compatible. Ive burned about 40 cd's trying to get this working and still no luck. I even got desperate and tried rebel efi(without paying) just to make sure my cd drive is working, and no luck with that other than i got the apple up then the no smoking sign. Good luck to you, I will be watching this post to see if anyone will help you, there is definetly some geniuses on this forum!! I envy all of them for beeing able to do this. I guess i will have to do a lot more reading.

• 3 months later...

I also have this problem ...

Tested with Asus P5Q3-Deluxe/WiFi @n VGA 9600 GT 512 MB

Bootdisks i tested: 123 Mars, 123Jupiter, Empire Efi, Boot123 for p5q3, Empire Efi 1.085 legacy

None worked ...

Here is a photo...

Please someone help us !

post-176098-1268978676_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
I also have this problem ...

Tested with Asus P5Q3-Deluxe/WiFi @n VGA 9600 GT 512 MB

Bootdisks i tested: 123 Mars, 123Jupiter, Empire Efi, Boot123 for p5q3, Empire Efi 1.085 legacy

None worked ...

Here is a photo...

Please someone help us !

Add me to this club.

Anyone found a solution yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm new-ish on this forum.

But my story so far -

I bought and installed os x on a dell mini 10v whilst drunk (amongst other things).

It originally had win7 installed which I assume was on NTFS partition. I followed the http://gizmodo.com/5389166/how-to-hackinto...leopard-netbook method and everything was SWEET!

.......until the obvious itch to have a dual boot came!

i made myself a windows partition using disk utility then booted first time into windows install cd.

then it went {censored} up when the little thing wouldnt boot windows off the hard drive for the first time to run complete the windows xp install saying sytem32 was missing!

so ive now got win7 on it after formatting in windows setup to NTFS and the gizmodo method wont work for me again.

it just wont boot anything that i need it to boot for os x -

netbookcd bootloader

netbook bootmaker'd snow leopard usb stick

NBI_083F.img usb stick

SL boot132 cd

and a transmac burnt snow leopard disk (that i had to go out and buy an external dual layer reader and disks for - £80!!!!)

and quite clearly as my post is here my problem is yours.

I am stuck at

|

reading ram disk image: bt(0,0)/Extra/Preboot.dmg

no ramdisk config...

mounting: done

/

in summary, I havnt altered the MBR just split up a partition then merged it again then formatted it a couple of times and now it wont boot mac.

im tearing my hair out here!!!!

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue couple of minutes ago. Could fix it..

O.k

What was the problem ? It was the partiotioning went wrong with disc utility..

Just reformat the drive, make new partitions , GUID and there you go... Chameleon loading again..

I discovered that something is really screwed with the partition so quick..becaus on the windows side also "Acronis Disc Director" could not load...

If you have multiple HDD's try to isolate the problem by unpluggong HDD's until Chameleon loads..

Greetz