Success with 4890 solution in 10.6.2!

BarryBar

59 posts in this topic

so if anyone can help me I'd be greatly appreciated!

I have an unusual problem that I can't find an answer to.

I'm running 10.6.2

with Netkas QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg

details:

ATI Radeon 4890 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4890 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

BenQ E2200HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

BenQ V2400Eco:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

As you can see both my monitors are detected and supported but will not work properly in extended mode. They are both identical "mirrored" if you will however in the display section it is showing an extended setup, treating both monitors as the monitor on the left and the one on the right being invisible.

How can I fix this?

How does your com.apple.Boot.plist look? Also, what ktext do you have loaded for the card and did you install the QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2 via an update from the 10.6.1 or was it a clean install for 10.6.2? I had no issues when I was working from a clean install of 10.6.2. What brand of 4890 are you using anyway; that might make a difference (it shouldn't though).

i used every method here to get my sapphire 4890 hd 1 gb PCI-E work, but it didnt worked...i tried QE\Cl exotic patch by netkas, the ATI.ROM method, every method available on internet, but its not working, yeah i got full resolution working, but no transparent menu, chess blocks are moving very slow and skipping frames, i cant take screenshots, and when i try to open any image with PREVIEW, there is nothing displayed, only a white image......im using snow leopard 10.6.2 by hazard.

my system configuration is

intel core i7 920@2.7 ghz

MSI x58 pro-e

6 GB corsair platinum DDR3 RAM

sapphire 4890 HD

WD 640 gb SATA HD @ 64mb

i used every method here to get my sapphire 4890 hd 1 gb PCI-E work, but it didnt worked...i tried QE\Cl exotic patch by netkas, the ATI.ROM method, every method available on internet, but its not working, yeah i got full resolution working, but no transparent menu, chess blocks are moving very slow and skipping frames, i cant take screenshots, and when i try to open any image with PREVIEW, there is nothing displayed, only a white image......im using snow leopard 10.6.2 by hazard.

my system configuration is

intel core i7 920@2.7 ghz

MSI x58 pro-e

6 GB corsair platinum DDR3 RAM

sapphire 4890 HD

WD 640 gb SATA HD @ 64mb

Have you tried moving the video card to a different PCI-E slot? Does your board work on a vanilla install?

Exact same config and same situation with my Radeon 4350 recently completely recognized by the system thx to Netkas EFI 10.6, but still no QE/CI recognition and it is too bad :)

I didn't try on another PCI-E slot and don't have a vanilla right now

If someone has other suggestions i guess the solution could be the same for both cards, the 4890 and the 4350

TIA

i didnt tried it on other PCI-E slot, and wats vanilla working, i didnt got it :) , i just knw everything is working fine including resolution, but no tranparency, no QE\CL ........and yes the preview and screenshot problem i posted in my last post.....

• 1 month later...
This works wonders for me. The only issue I have now is that both my GPU fans are running at 100% and I can't get OS X to detect the second 4890 I have. Four monitor support would be nice to have as well as running CF in Windows. ;)

Any ideas on how to get the fans to STFU? Also, I am unsure if QI/QE is enabled because when I look in the System Profiler under Graphics/Display, it does not state that QI and QE are disabled/enabled.

Im in the same boat. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested to know from those people who have got this to work on their 4890s in Dual Display extended mode - What outputs are you using?

I have a Sapphire Vapor-x 4890 1Gb with 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x DP outputs and can only get the DVI to show an image.

Granted I have not followed the steps yet outlined in this Thread, but I want to know whether it will solve my dual-monitor problems before I mess with, what is, a perfectly working 1 monitor setup.

• 3 months later...

Thanks always nice to see a thread dedicated to one specific card (even though 4890 has quite a few variations.)

I need some help just like everyone else here but basically I used to have a 4850 working and I decided to upgrade it so after some research I had seen that people were getting results with the 4890 so I got one of those.

It was important that it would work with osx86 aswell as gaming on Windows.

Great news, it works pretty much without doing anything different. Basically working on my 4850 osx86 setup.

Heres the thing, I don't use my osx86 install to watch videos or play games, simply to use Logic Pro and then I goto Windows 7 for everything else.

This is why I didn't really care that QE/CI was not working on my 4850.

Now on my 4890 its the same situation. The card works, Logic works, but no QE/CI.

Just wondered if anyone had some tips to get this working properly as it would be nice to have it %100 functional and also yes my GPU fan is at %100 all the time too.

Also I still ain't worked out how to fix my 'About This Mac' thingie still lol. It just resets the desktop when I try to open it.

OK heres my details:

XFX 4890 1GB (2 x DVI) Model ZSFC

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

EFI (not sure which version - will have to check and post back).

I did follow steps in the original post and edited my com.apple.Boot.plist files in both the /extra and /library/prefs/systemconfigs folders. Also added ATI.ROM to extra folder.

Didn't seem to have any effect on the QE/CI though.

I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the EFI as I may have a later vesion but when I replaced the boot file with the one from the 'PCEFIV10.3ATIROM' file (from the spanish site) I got a garbled screen.

What do I do with the rest of those files int hat download? I think I'm missing some info here as theres quite a few files and the only things I see you mention are the ATI.ROM and the boot file.

Anyway any tips appreciated.