Success with 4890 solution in 10.6.2!

BarryBar

59 posts in this topic

Actually,

I realized my XFX 4890 in 10.6.2 vanilla works perfectly with PC EFI 10.5 with simple graphic enabler as yes.

I removed all references to the ATIROM and deleted the bios file, and it all still works perfectly.

However, that annoying fan issue still persists and not sure if it's with the card itself. I never get it when I boot up into Windows 7 though.

Ordered a second DVI monitor. Will test later this week whether dual monitors works.

Would you please share the steps you took upgrading to 10.6.2? I got a XFX 4890 card. Upgraded from 10.6 to 10.6.2 and got garbled screen even with qe_ci_exotic patch from netkas.org. Thanks

However, that annoying fan issue still persists and not sure if it's with the card itself. I never get it when I boot up into Windows 7 though.

The annoying fan issue may be solved by a simple BIOS editing. I would boot into Windows, get RBE, extract your VGA BIOS Rom, edit it by adjusting its fan settings properties and put this editted BIOS file in /Extra, then using PC_EFI parameter "-useatirom=/Extra/your.bios.rom".

If fan speeds are still changing from normal to full speed, then there is some command being sent from OSX drivers to video card (or a plain misread by AppleHWSensors) which may need a patched kext.

netkas,

do you think -useatirom key will work? tried your exotic package, can't get my xfx 4890 work

i have xfx 4890 (dual dvi version) working with netkas' exotic pack plus evoenabler and legacyati4800controller on boot-think usb stick.

*EDIT: works nice with 32bit and 64bit kernel. haven't tried dual monitor tho

Screenshot.gif

The annoying fan issue may be solved by a simple BIOS editing. I would boot into Windows, get RBE, extract your VGA BIOS Rom, edit it by adjusting its fan settings properties and put this editted BIOS file in /Extra, then using PC_EFI parameter "-useatirom=/Extra/your.bios.rom".

If fan speeds are still changing from normal to full speed, then there is some command being sent from OSX drivers to video card (or a plain misread by AppleHWSensors) which may need a patched kext.

I'll try this when I get the time. Hopefully that will fix it, but otherwise I guess it's not bothering me too much.

hi ppl

i'm a total newb concerning ati 4890.

been running leopard 10.5.8 with no probs with older ati 1950.

now i've installed snow universal 3.6 10.6.2 and it was painless.

i have a problem only with my ati 4890. on first boot only 1024x768 was avaliable.

Upon installing chameleon RC4, i've installed LegacyATI4800Controller.kext along with QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1 and i now have all resolutions available. But i'm still missing QE/CI acceleration.

Can anyone help me out pls.

hi ppl

i have a problem only with my ati 4890. on first boot only 1024x768 was avaliable.

Upon installing chameleon RC4, i've installed LegacyATI4800Controller.kext along with QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1 and i now have all resolutions available. But i'm still missing QE/CI acceleration.

Which card do you have?

hi ppl

Which card do you have?

*cof* *cof* :P

I have an XFX 4890 card and Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I have been trying to get my card recognized, but all I get is a garbled screen. I tried the aforementioned instructions, but I could not get it to work. Maybe I missed something. Here is what I tried:

1. Installed 10.6.2

2. Installed NetKas' QE/CI exotic 10.6.2 patcher from http://webfile.ru/4148943

3. Copied ATI.ROM from http://www.osx86.es/?cat=32 to /Extra/ATI.ROM

4. I added the following to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>ATIROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

5. Rebooted and got a garbled screen

I am using PC EFI 10.5 and also tried using the rom image of my card generated from gpuz with no success. I can confirm that when booting in verbose mode it says ATI.ROM has been loaded. I can still boot into safe mode, but my card is detected as ATI 4890 256MB.

My specs are:

P6T SE x58

i7 920 currently at stock speeds

4GB OCZ 1600 MHz

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SPECIFICALLY, Ex. I have an asus which isn't a reference card. Others have XFX and Sapphire, It does make a difference.

Actually what makes a *huge* difference is not the brand/manufacturer, but which connectors the card has -- as you stated, "a reference card".

If 2 DVI, then install recommended drivers + use a dongle or swap DVI ports, congrats.

If has HDMI, then prey for the old gods + titans, provide them with a binary sacrifice while under the blue moon but before the midnight and not after the first wave of 650nm moonlight rays . Aka "yeah, it probably does not work" :(

(sorry by sounding rude, it wasn't my intention)

bump

I have a XFX 4890 and it works perfectly without the ATIROM. Just have graphicenabler in the PC EFI 10.5 enabled and the exotic package installed. Otherwise, I went straight to a 10.6.2 installation from tonymac's guide.

Dual monitor support works fine as well.

Maybe the exact model of XFX 4890 also makes a difference.

Thank you!

After using the Qe/ci exotic and following BarryBars instructions my graphics work perfectly except for dual screen. System Profiler even recognizes my card as Radeon HD 4890!

Huge success,

Sapphire 4890 works dual display.

With QE/CI and no performance degradation.

I made many changes, so I'll try to track down everything and be scientific.

Situation before 4890:

OS X 10.6.2 Upgraded from 10.6.0 Vanilla with P35-DS4 pack and Chameleon.

Nvidia 9800GT working dual display using EFI string in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Before replacing card:

Installed netkas qe_ci_exotic_10.6.2

removed EFI string from com.apple.Boot.plist

I'm posting my kext list and some more info images.

Update

Found a procedure to install 10.6.2 with Radeon HD4890 working in dual monitor:

Files needed for Install here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ngdvwzzyzdj

1. While in Snow Leopard open Disk Utility and create a new partition in GUID mode on a secondary disk.

2. Mount a Mac Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail install DVD and run OSInstall.mpkg from [CDROOT]/System/Installation/Packages

3. Install a new install without printer drivers in customize on the new partition.

4. Download and install OSX Updates 10.6.1 and 10.6.2

5. Install Chameleon 2 RC3

6. In my case I install the GA-P35-DS4 Snow Pack.pkg

7. Install Netkas QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg

8. Replace SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extentions with new one in SleepEnabler.kext_10.6.2.zip

9. Replace /boot with new one in boot_v10.5.zip

10. Reboot, thats it.

My setup:

Gigabyte P35-DS4

Q9550 at 3.4GHz (8.5*400) Normal Voltage

8GB 800MHz (2*400) Normal Voltage

PCI Fixed speed 100MHz

Sapphire HD4890 1GB

post-28111-1261975527_thumb.png

post-28111-1261975541_thumb.png

post-28111-1261975550_thumb.png

post-28111-1261975570_thumb.png

post-28111-1261975578_thumb.png

post-28111-1261975586_thumb.png

Hi, building my first hackintosh here, i've got a P55-UD4P, i7 860, 8 gigs ram, XFX 4890.

With Tonymac method, i've got 10.6.2 to install and run, got PC EFI 10.5 boot file, DSDT for P55-UD4P and Extra folder from Tonymac, but so far have had no luck with getting 4890 to run with QE/CI.

Exotic patch installation always results in a KP, got it to install with Pacifist and results in garbled black and white graphics. ATI.ROM didn't work for me either. Also tried to install EVOenabler plus the exotic.

Still learning my way around all this stuff, such as pci= 0 or 1 type stuff and EFI Studio, if anyone can give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! After this i still need audio, without full video though i can't install Final Cut Studio.

Thanks

Faffycat

I still can't get my XFX 4890 to boot normally in 10.6.2 (it only boots in safe mode). I don't know what I did to cause this, but now I see the following message shortly before my screen gets garbled and pixelated:

"failed to load kext com.apple.kext.ati4800controller (error 0xdc008016)"

Any ideas? I made sure the permissions are correct.

Can someone chime in with an opinion on this.....

Why not use the modified Roms people are using in OEM macs. (Link Below)

Aside from the obvious issues, if you are using dual boot- and need the card for Windows. I need to gain a better understanding of the systems to have a educated guess....my post may appear lament.

I do like how Netkas has gained notoriety even in the non hackintosh communities.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=811768

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

using 10.6.2 with evo kext i'm able to load up a Mirror display on DUAL monitors with the ATI 4870 1gb card, which has 1dvi, 1hdmi and 1vga.

booting up from a vga connected and dvi2vga connected both displays come on but they are mirrior'ed.

does anyone know how i can turn off mirror and have this expanded to use dual monitor support??

here is my card settings/info:

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9440

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

DELL 2709W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

• 2 weeks later...
Huge success,

Situation before 4890:

Nvidia 9800GT working dual display using EFI string in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Before replacing card:

Update

1. While in Snow Leopard open Disk Utility and create a new partition in GUID mode on a secondary disk.

2. Mount a Mac Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail install DVD and run OSInstall.mpkg from [CDROOT]/System/Installation/Packages

3. Install a new install without printer drivers in customize on the new partition.

8. Replace SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extentions with new one in SleepEnabler.kext_10.6.2.zip

10. Reboot, thats it.

My setup:

Gigabyte P35-DS4

PCI Fixed speed 100MHz

Sapphire HD4890 1GB

Ilan you have a beer man! followed your steps from 7 to 10 (lol) and i have success with sapphire hd 4890 vapor-x 1gb, everything works ooooooooo THX YOU DA MAN!!!!

Hey ppl :)

Kudos for these successes

Maybe it's a silly question but do you think this may work with another card, let's say with the 4350 (Asus in my case) for example ?

(I know ther's a post in the forum where some ppl succeeded to make it work with other Netkas twixes but it does NOT want to work on my machine)

My config :

Gigabyte EX58UD5 with i7 2.8ghz

Or maybe i dare to ask if someone knows a good Fanless card that would work please ?

TIA ;)

Huge success,

Situation before 4890:

Before replacing card:

Update

10. Reboot, thats it.

My setup:

Gigabyte P35-DS4

PCI Fixed speed 100MHz

Sapphire HD4890 1GB

This works wonders for me. The only issue I have now is that both my GPU fans are running at 100% and I can't get OS X to detect the second 4890 I have. Four monitor support would be nice to have as well as running CF in Windows. :)

Any ideas on how to get the fans to STFU? Also, I am unsure if QI/QE is enabled because when I look in the System Profiler under Graphics/Display, it does not state that QI and QE are disabled/enabled.

well i have a p5ql-pro(with flashed bios) and Club3D HD4890, now this work perfectely on 10.6.1 with evoenabler and x2000 patched, but doesnt work anymore with 10.6.2 update.

i should say that, i had success with 10.6.2 with another distro, and few patch...the main difference is that now im running a full 64bit kernel and extensions, the other distro run in 32bit instead..

with ati rom, should i will be able to run 10.6.2 @64bit?

screenshots

so if anyone can help me I'd be greatly appreciated!

I have an unusual problem that I can't find an answer to.

I'm running 10.6.2

with Netkas QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg

details:

ATI Radeon 4890 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4890 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

BenQ E2200HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Main Display: Yes

BenQ V2400Eco:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

As you can see both my monitors are detected and supported but will not work properly in extended mode. They are both identical "mirrored" if you will however in the display section it is showing an extended setup, treating both monitors as the monitor on the left and the one on the right being invisible.

How can I fix this?