If 10.4.7 can't be installed what will you do?

quixos

27 posts in this topic

this question is aimed at people who have their "hobby macs" working at a level "indistinguishable" :D from a real mac.

i have 10.4.6 working perfectly on my machine, i'm very happy with it, but am excited to see if 10.4.7 update can be installed or a substantial amount of it integrated into my system. this tweaking and problem solving is my play time.

if 10.4.7 doesn't go anywhere, i'll be sticking with 4.6 for the forseeable future as my day to day OS on this machine, but will most likely move to Slackware and Ubuntu as entertainment.

when this, my present OS X computer goes lame, i'll buy a mac, but might go with whatever mini types they have at that time. i enjoy building and messing too much to spend big money on a "console" so to speak.

anyone else thought about what they might be doing, if OS X on PC stops progressing?

I'll keep running 10.4.6 if that happens until 10.5 comes out with the conroe core machines, at which time i'll buy a new macbook and convert this box into a file server at home...probably running some flavour of linux (mepis or suse).

I am still running 10.4.5. It runs perfect here, I see no reason to bother with 10.4.6+. I mean, I have no bugs that need to be fixed and no features will be added so what is the point? I have other things to spend my time on.

anyone else thought about what they might be doing, if OS X on PC stops progressing?

This may depend on how well hacked 10.4 runs on Conroe and Woodcrest. If it runs acceptably, I really would not have a problem being stuck on 10.4 for a few years. Tiger certainly serves my needs better than Linux or Windows. That being said, I could also see buying Mac Pro's and also running Linux as being good solutions for my work that I would probably consider more seriously at that point. The other issue of course is what new features 10.5 actually has, while I doubt there will be anything so great in Leopard that I "must" have it, there is not much information on the subject either.

But I think the cat is out of the bag. People now expect to able to run OS X on their PC's. It might take much more time to hack 10.5, but this should actually start in August when the WWDC Leopard preview is releasd. That means the OSx86 community should have about four months of hacking time on Leopard before it is even released.

While I do not understand how Maxxuss was able to decrypt the 10.4.4 binaries he did, it seems that a comparison of those with the original files could yield Apple's TPM "endorsement key". Likewise, it also may be possible to retrieve Apple's TPM key with sophisticated physical analysis of an Apple TPM chip. If that key were acquired and we were able to run EFI, the game would pretty much be over for Apple.

I don´t see significant improvements in updating from 10.4.5 to 4.6 to 4.7 - your mileage may vary though. The next critical step for OSX86 is OS 10.5 and the new software releases by Adobe (Photoshop) and Microsoft (Office) in 2007. If we can´t run 10.5 on PCs and if Adobe and/or Microsoft call for OS 10.5 as absolute requirement, OSX86 is dead and I will stick to real Macs.

this question is aimed at people who have their "hobby macs" working at a level "indistinguishable" :hysterical: from a real mac.

i have 10.4.6 working perfectly on my machine, i'm very happy with it, but am excited to see if 10.4.7 update can be installed or a substantial amount of it integrated into my system. this tweaking and problem solving is my play time.

if 10.4.7 doesn't go anywhere, i'll be sticking with 4.6 for the forseeable future as my day to day OS on this machine, but will most likely move to Slackware and Ubuntu as entertainment.

when this, my present OS X computer goes lame, i'll buy a mac, but might go with whatever mini types they have at that time. i enjoy building and messing too much to spend big money on a "console" so to speak.

I am still running 10.4.5. It runs perfect here, I see no reason to bother with 10.4.6+. I mean, I have no bugs that need to be fixed and no features will be added so what is the point? I have other things to spend my time on.

I totally agree with u ...

Jas why would u leave the scene? what can u expect even on 10.5? it's like having Windows XP professionnal versus the familial version : there wont be so much difference...And u will able to continue to use this wonderfull OSX version.

I even know some mac users still runing 10.3 and they r still alive :hysterical:

It is about applications eventually supporting only OS 10.5 onwards. I am generally not too keen on adapting to new OS versions (still OS 10.3.9 over here), but application requirements may force me to. Adobe Lightroom is a first indication - it won´t run under 10.3.x. How about Photoshop CS3, or whatever it will be called, running only with 10.5?

I totally agree with u ...

Jas why would u leave the scene? what can u expect even on 10.5? it's like having Windows XP professionnal versus the familial version : there wont be so much difference...And u will able to continue to use this wonderfull OSX version.

I even know some mac users still runing 10.3 and they r still alive :hysterical:

Throughout the development of OSX86 there have been milestones.. the first 10.4.1, 10.4.3 and significantly 10.4.4, the first release. The next one is 10.5. Whilst it is understandable that people get jaded with the effort required to deal with every incremental release, and as has been pointed out, 10.4.4/5/6 works fine for most people, the real question is how much effort those with the skills & know-how are willing to put behind 10.5

If 10.4.7 doesn't work for us, no big deal.. my machine works fine. If 10.5 isn't broken, however, that is probably the end of the story. It is still a good story. A wonderful piece of history.. I will continue to use this machine until it becomes too obsolete, rather like the all-in-one non-upgradeable macs it replaces.. I will certainly look at what apple has to offer as a replacement, but somehow the direction apple is going doesn't look like it will fit with the way I like to work. I guess if the story ends there, then I am back to searching for a decent OS again..

I'll just deal with it. It isn't like there will be any major changes with 10.4.7...10.5 will bring those.

If 10.5 doesn't install on anything it won't bother me too much as I'll just use the real Mac.

TRAGEDY AT OSX86PROJECT ! Guru MAXXUSS leaves alone aficionados after 10.4.6.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2540209.stm

dude it isn't funny to joke about the death of hundreds of people.

Those kinds of cults are really dangerous, people enter naively, maybe out of curiosity. They are brainwashed, they leave their families, give all their possessions to the cult. And end up making terrible things, killing others others and/or themselves.

And don't think that because that happened in Guyana there aren't things like that in the rest of the world

it's don't disturb me.

i can use my 10.4.6 install anyway.

it's preffer to get new hacked kernel, instead new os build.

but now i use my install and happy with it =).

i don't wish to spend much money to get real Mac with new os ver.

I just hate to see the ones that put in a lot of efforts into this project throw in the towel before the 12th round. I remember last year we all agreed that, "what can be made by man, can be broken". I can sympathies with normal users that all they want to do is get something "hip" working on there computers. But there are people who want to take things further than what other think may be a dead end. I mean, where would society be if we stopped at smoke signals, horse and buggy, and the withdrawal method?

I'll keep running 10.4.6 if that happens until 10.5 comes out with the conroe core machines, at which time i'll buy a new macbook and convert this box into a file server at home...probably running some flavour of linux (mepis or suse).

Actually, for laptops, the chip will be called merom. Anyway, it looks like if 10.4.7 cannot be cracked, it won't be the end of the world. However, if 10.4.9 can't be, there may be trouble. Even worse is if any of 10.5 cannot be. Many 10.5 based apps will still retain 10.4.9 compatibility, but it may not stay so true for every app. Basically, if things stop getting cracked, it'll be useless, as with Macs, updated OS is critical to having a good useful system.

You're right mactelman about the merom, I've just been reading more about the conroe chips than the rest...

"There are three chips. Merom, the mobile part, Conroe, the desktop, and Woodcrest, the Xeon. They will be followed by Whitefield, essentially a four core follow on to Woodcrest. All of them, except Whitefield, will be dual core from the start."

I personally will probably use XP for gaming and OSX 10.4 to browse net, chat, do basic stuff. My needs at the moment are satisfied. Photoshop CS works, Sound Studio is great. But in the end my next PC would probably be a nice 17" or 20" iMac. Though I would probably go for a version in which the gfx card can be upgraded. I guess a desktop version, rather than the compressed iMac Version.

yeah, I'm not buying a Mac until I have a nice big silver tower that I can take apart and fiddle with. BUT I'm definately buying one when they come out. Thing is, Apple will probably release 12 new laptops... erm.... "portable machines" (don't call em laptops lol) before then. Come on Apple, we want an intel tower!

Personally, I don't think 10.4.7 will be a problem. and we are only 3 upgrades away from 10.5, so unless Apple do something outrageous with the backend of that then things are looking good. Lets have some positivity :)

If we can't update to .7, well, then, I guess I'll do nothing...

My only horizonal venture for the future is the release of the desktops in hopes that Echo will then release an intel based driver for my PCI based Layla...if it requires a higher build like 10.5 or something, well, THEN I might buy a real Mac, but I'll likely still be too broke to.

in any case, 10.4.6 runs mighty smooth for me on my pentium mach, so I'm not complaining.

Wow. The posed "What if..." question. "What if we can't crack 4.7 or 10.5?" Will the OSX x86 Project die? I honestly don't think so. With the developers, hackers, software engineers, etc, that are on this fourm they just might crack'em. But even if they can't, then my hat's off to Apple for developing such a solid OS. And to those developers, hackers and engineers who do get down and dirty cracking the OSes, I'm sure they'll discover ways to fix, crack, patch, tweak, and hack more of 10.4.6 and develop 10.4.7 and 10.5 based off of 10.4.4/5/6. Intergrating security, performance enhancements, software compatablitly, patchs and tweaks for hardware support.

I believe that if we can't crack 10.5, we won't be discuraged, but challenged to the "How can we get it to work?" Allowing the forum to grow even more. Heck, maybe this could become it's own little company, the middle man between Windows and Mac. Developing our own flavor/versions of OS X for Windows Intel and AMD processors.

The first thing I would do is cry, then rejoice. Then, buy a MacBook or MacPro (pending how much $$$ I can spend).

But as for now, I'd love to just get 10.4.4/5/6 running on my Hackintosh. Anyone have any tips for upgrading from 10.4.1 to 10.4.6? The copy of 10.4.3 I have won't install/update, and I think you need 10.4.3 to upgrade to 10.4.5/6, right?

I believe that if we can't crack 10.5, we won't be discuraged, but challenged to the "How can we get it to work?" Allowing the forum to grow even more. Heck, maybe this could become it's own little company, the middle man between Windows and Mac. Developing our own flavor/versions of OS X for Windows Intel and AMD processors.

It wont happen - the minute such a company becomes established, apple have even more reason to enforce the dmca and other bits of IP laws at its disposal. lets just keep it unofficial/community based, and on an if it works -> good for you basis.