[Guide] USB Flash Drive-Based Chameleon / Retail Snow Leopard Install

dougaa

49 posts in this topic

Thank you for this wonderful guide! It worked almost perfectly for me on my p5q-e board but since I didn't have an SL install available to make the Extensions.mkext cache file, I just left it out and booted with the -f flag. I also used more specific kexts in my E/E folder.

Edit: I also had to use a modified BIOS to get the initial install, but afterward I changed back to my original by using DSDT.aml file with the processor lines modified. (I use a C2Q)

On a side-note, I'm not entirely happy with the EFI setup because permissions don't seem to work as they should on it and for reasons unknown, it won't stay permanently unmounted even after I almost perfectly followed this guide (and my alterations weren't even EFI related!). Also, most of the custom tools for repairing permissions and rebuilding extension caches and writing to the boot.plist weren't written to take advantage of EFI setups and have to be done manually (which can sometimes be a pain, but I've written handy scripts to do things such as that for me).

On a good note, my video card (Radeon HD 4870 1GB) was recognized OOTB with QE/CI enabled.

With the very minor inconveniences aside, I'm enjoying my perfect SL setup.

Thank you very much, dougaa!

I'm not entirely happy with the EFI setup because permissions don't seem to work as they should on it

Permissions don't matter when using /Extra/Extensions with PC-EFI or Chameleon. Don't worry about permissions.

and for reasons unknown, it won't stay permanently unmounted

That's because for Snow Leopard you must initialize the "EFI" partition like this: newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

And not like we did on 10.5.x: diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

Permissions don't matter when using /Extra/Extensions with PC-EFI or Chameleon. Don't worry about permissions.

That's because for Snow Leopard you must initialize the "EFI" partition like this: newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

And not like we did on 10.5.x: diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

Ohh. Thanks! I get it now. Would it be safe to reformat the EFI partition using this method but without reinstalling SL again? I can't imagine going through all that again and reinstalling everything. ;)

I had to do the same thing when I first installed 10.6, but I don't remember anymore if I had to reformat the whole drive or not.

I think you can just re-initialize it. Of course you'll have to reinstall your bootloader, and whatever else is on the EFI partition.

Your SL installation is on a separate partition so (unless you type the command wrong) nothing will happen to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I followed your guide with no success

I also tried the mylife install method with no success, both of them gave me the same result

a blinking cursor at boot screen?

setup is asus z8na dc with dual 2.27 xeon nehalems

2 128ssd

24gb of patriot ram

not sure what else you need to know but ill be more than happy to answer because I am so tired of my machine just sitting there

when I try to install I get stuck at a white apple screen at the start of the setup, when I use -v attrib. for debugging I get the following error:

MAC framework succesfully initialized
using 10485 buffer headers and 496 cluster IO buffer headers
dsmos: Starting...
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
SMBIOSEnabler: started
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
can't determine immediate dependencies for extension org.tgwdb.driver.ACPIPS2Nub
can't determine dependencies for org.tgwdb.driver.ACPIPS2Nub
couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPS2Nub"
mbinit: done
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
From path "uuid"
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 78C5DB15-6592-36A4-B6C2-DDBCBA40DE34
Waiting on IOProviderClassIOResourcesIOResourceMatchboot-uuid-media
extension"com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found
can't determine immediate dependencies for extensioncom.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer
Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer
Couldn't alloc class "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.
USBF:	1.997	EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS
USBF:	2.  7	AppleUSBEHCI[ox3d35000]: unable to obtain ownership: oxe00002be
USBF:	2. 18	AppleUSBEHCI[ox3d35000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred(0xe00002e)
USBF:	2. 31	AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM
RTL8139::fixEnetFlowControl - FlowControl is disabled
Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/USB3@1d,2/AppleUSBUHCI/SanDisk Cruzer@5d200000/IOUSBInterface@0/IOUSBMassStorageClass/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices/IOBlock
BSD root: disk2s2, major 14, minor 5

I Have a HP compaq presario c500 with intel duo core t2080 processor

2 GB ram 800mhz

256 mb video memory intel family g 945 shared

120GB sata hdd 7200rpm

• 3 months later...

I ran into a kernel panic installing:

(cpu 0 caller 0xFFFFFF800053e932): unable to find driver for this platform "\ACPI\" .\n"A/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

Hopefully I typed that mostly correctly.

And I'm hoping dougaa can save me :rolleyes:

I ran into a kernel panic installing:

(cpu 0 caller 0xFFFFFF800053e932): unable to find driver for this platform "\ACPI\" .\n"A/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

Hopefully I typed that mostly correctly.

And I'm hoping dougaa can save me :wacko:

If you're following the tutorial, at which step did that happen? Did you follow the tutorial exactly or make some changes? Do you know that the set of extensions in your Extra directory works for your machine?

If you're following the tutorial, at which step did that happen? Did you follow the tutorial exactly or make some changes? Do you know that the set of extensions in your Extra directory works for your machine?

That appeared after the chameleon screen trying to install OS X

I used the extras you provided and only those.

Sadly no I don't know which set of extensions work.

I'm a complete newbie sad to say.

That appeared after the chameleon screen trying to install OS X

I used the extras you provided and only those.

Sadly no I don't know which set of extensions work.

I'm a complete newbie sad to say.

You can't use the same set of extensions for leopard and snow leopard. I sent you snow leopard ones to try.

You can't use the same set of extensions for leopard and snow leopard. I sent you snow leopard ones to try.

Ha oops!

Thanks for sending those.

:EDIT: Can I just replace these in Finder?

:EDIT2: I just replaced those files in Finder.

I got that same error as before and also got a failed to load kext com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the guide. It worked great! Installed the retail disk and updated to 10.6.4 with no

problems what so ever. I was running Kalyway updated to 10.5.8, but this seems so much more stable and responsive.

I only have one problem, I can't get it to take my video card. I used the DSDT patcher to 

create a new dsdt and I put that in the /Extra folder of my boot partition. I then repaired the permissions and redid the cache and rebooted. Nothing. No change. Resoultion stuck at 1024 x 768.

I then used OSx86 Tools to generate a EFI string for my card and applied that, repaired permissions and again, nothing. Resoultion stuck at 1280x1024.

I know the card works because it worked in 10.5.8 and works in Windows 7.

Anyone have any Ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for the guide. It worked great! Installed the retail disk and updated to 10.6.4 with no

problems what so ever. I was running Kalyway updated to 10.5.8, but this seems so much more stable and responsive.

I only have one problem, I can't get it to take my video card. I used the DSDT patcher to 

create a new dsdt and I put that in the /Extra folder of my boot partition. I then repaired the permissions and redid the cache and rebooted. Nothing. No change. Resoultion stuck at 1280x1024.

I then used OSx86 Tools to generate a EFI string for my card and applied that, repaired permissions and again, nothing. Resoultion stuck at 1280x1024.

I know the card works because it worked in 10.5.8 and works in Windows 7.

Anyone have any Ideas? Thanks.

In System Profiler, is the correct information shown for your video card? Does it look like the EFI string is working? When you say the resolution is "stuck", do you mean you can't change it in the Displays preferences? If the EFI string is working you should be able to use Displays to set the full resolution of the monitor. By the way, while it's good to use DSDT patcher, as far as I know it doesn't have anything to do with video.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not at home so I don't know what Profiler says right of the top of my head, but in Displays only one resolution is available: 1024 x 768. So far nothing I've done has allowed me to change that.

Aside from generating an EFI string for my card in OSx86 tools I also set the native resolution that it should be booting to, but no dice so far.

When I get home, I'll report back what Profiler says.

Here is what System profiler says my graphics card is:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

This isn't right. I've got an nVidia 9500 GT with 1 GB of Ram.

I ran OSx86 Tools again and rebooted and I end up with the same thing. I found on a guide to do this manually on

the web with out OSx86 Tools. I'll try that and report.

Here is what System profiler says my graphics card is:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

This isn't right. I've got an nVidia 9500 GT with 1 GB of Ram.

I ran OSx86 Tools again and rebooted and I end up with the same thing. I found on a guide to do this manually on

the web with out OSx86 Tools. I'll try that and report.

So... Turns out I'm an idiot. I was running OSx86 Tools to create an EFI string, but i didn't know to copy the newly patched com.apple.Boot.plist to the /Extra folder of my boot partition. I was leaving it in its default location. Now that I've copied it over, all is well.

So... Turns out I'm an idiot. I was running OSx86 Tools to create an EFI string, but i didn't know to copy the newly patched com.apple.Boot.plist to the /Extra folder of my boot partition. I was leaving it in its default location. Now that I've copied it over, all is well.

Cool, glad to hear you got it to work.

• 2 months later...
Anybody try updating to 10.6.6 yet? I'm still running 10.6.4

I didn't carefully check everything, but I upgraded without any obvious problems. Geekbenchmark is the same. You don't have to do anything special for the 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 upgrades. As usual, if you have modified versions of Apple kexts you may have to reinstall them.