Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

A new file for you guys.

This one contains a working LegacyYukon2 kext so you can leave that untouched in your install.

http://hotfile.com/dl/28852481/2ec68d9/P6X...b.2010.zip.html

Any problems, post here so other people can benefit from the problems and fixes.

And here is a new working DSDT ripped and edited from Bios 0702 (as opposed to my old Ramage II Extreme bodge job). It seems to work just fine with the ICH10R (no slowdowns).

http://hotfile.com/dl/28857747/8e3a1ea/P6X...10.aml.zip.html

Enjoy. :)

hey kup, 2 questions. Do we even need the mac pro audio update that came out?

I installed it and then put back my working kexts when I lost audio.. just wondering if you know if it is relevant to us osx86ers. I only ask because I don't notice any temp increase when playing audio and doing other things.. I'm going to do some more reading, but for now I'm not really worried about it.

You guys are killing me. This is painful to read and brings back some sore memories of nearly ALL of the mistakes I've made. I can make this short and sweet. The good news is as follows: Go to the P6T-SE Flashdrive thread in this same subforum and look for my last DSDT file or the modified version of my file for Jmicron support from Caxio. The DSDT will work for you (the vanilla versions will anyway) since you are currently using the DSDT file extracted from a Rampage II Extreme (another board I have). In other words, the 1136 or X58 chipset by ASUS is nearly identical with respect to its architecture that is supported by Snow Leopard. The only difference is an additional LAN when comparing your board and the P6T-SE. I'm fairly certain that the Rampage and your mobo share the same I/O layout just like the P6T-SE shares it with the Rampage. I'd need to see a reg dump for sure. The reason I stumbled on this thread is because I'm buying this board also and have a Gulftown backordered already from a distributor so you share my aspirations. First things first though, go through the P6T-SE thread and read as much as you can of it after you get your system up and running with the DSDT I provided. You can make the minor adjustments to the LAN in the DSDT if you know where it resides in the I/O.

Next get boot file, or better yet, install that plus boot files from the 1.8 package I attached. Finally swap out your boot.plist and smbios.plist files for the ones I attached. With the boot file you won't need all of that memory/bios data anymore since it should be autodetected.

At a minimum you should see a 2000 jump in Geekbench alone if you are running at stock speeds after you add the DSDT.

Good luck...I don't know how much time I'll have to answer anymore questions since I'm ultra busy these days. When I do go here I tend to pop in first at the P6T-SE thread (tweak41's thread btw).

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.8.zip

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

smbios.plist.zip

Thanks for the input dude but if you'd read the thread you'd have seen I've supplied an updated DSDT ripped from this board and an updated driver setup.

Not all of us are inept...

EDIT: I've just had a look at your attachments and WTF are you on?! You're forcing 32bit mode when this board and my supplied drivers are all 64bit compatible and your SMBIOS is just the same as the one I have already supplied...

Even the DSDT you're offereing is pointless, why would someone switch from a bodge from one board to the bodge from another?! Especially when I have supplied a fully working DSDT made FOR this board FROM this board! If you want to contribute to the support of this board, do it properly or not at all.

Thanks for the input dude but if you'd read the thread you'd have seen I've supplied an updated DSDT ripped from this board and an updated driver setup.

Not all of us are inept...

EDIT: I've just had a look at your attachments and WTF are you on?! You're forcing 32bit mode when this board and my supplied drivers are all 64bit compatible and your SMBIOS is just the same as the one I have already supplied...

Even the DSDT you're offereing is pointless, why would someone switch from a bodge from one board to the bodge from another?! Especially when I have supplied a fully working DSDT made FOR this board FROM this board! If you want to contribute to the support of this board, do it properly or not at all.

Your DSDT was for a different mobo (Rampage II Extreme) up until recently. Doesn't that seem just "slightly" hypocritical to rail on my suggestion to try a similar DSDT? Granted that they are similar, there are countless mods and hacks that are missing from both of yours, especially the native one to your mobo that will make it OSX friendly. Again, your Geekbench score alone will improve by at least 2000 points if you are running a proper DSDT.

WTF am I on? You are funny. If there was a prescription for it, I'd tell you where to go to get it. It's called a large dose of reality since what you are doing is inefficient at best and is definitely not stable. How do I know? Because I have made all of your mistakes several times already as have countless others who came before both you and I. But if you believe that you are omniscient, then more power to you. I'm trying to help those who really want to get this mobo up running with true stability.

OF COURSE I'm forcing 32 bit mode. It doesn't matter if you boot into 32 bit or 64 bit mode since your system can still run 64 bit extensions. The fact that Logic 9.1 is 64 bit now is the biggest piece of evidence to support this case. You can run 64 bit drivers on the 32 bit kernel. Go ahead and test benchmarking scores. Look at the rigs in my signature. I've tested all in both 32 and 64 bit mode for several months using 2-5 kexts tops per system in the Extras folder in the EFI USB. There is not one iota of difference in performance. In fact, most have observed (myself included), that 64 bit is unstable and makes your system run hot. Run 64 bit geekbench in 32 bit mode and then in 64 bit mode. Your scores will be the same or faster when booting in 32 bit mode using 64 bit geekbench. Do the same for Cinebench, Xbench, and all of the other benchmarking tools.

I'm not name-calling, but your last line is the height of hypocrisy. What I offered is not pointless if you had read and understood what I wrote or even bothered to test it yourself. I already explained why the DSDT would work and I said that the user would need to make a modification for the dual LAN. The DSDT supplied on your thread is for a RAMPAGE II EXTREME. You later supplied an essentially untouched DSDT for your mobo. What difference does it make? Not a whole lot if you understand how the architecture for these mobos are nearly identical.

Bottom line is don't go deciding for everybody else what will work or will not since as it stands, your premium system is going to run like my oldest rig based on the info you've provided thusfar. I don't understand why you are taking this so personal, especially when I'll be the first one to admit that I've made all of the mistakes that you've made and those that you are continuing to make. What is it with pride with some people? I don't get it. I love it when I'm wrong...because at least then I can learn. But fair enough....I'll fix your DSDT.

The SMbios explanation is in my previous post if you had bothered to do your research on what is the cutting edge for the OSx86 community. I posted their work that can be quickly implemented on this mobo.

your SMBIOS is just the same as the one I have already supplied...

Did you even look at it? I removed all of the unnecessary code if you update your bootloader with the one I posted. It is not at all the same. It is probably 50% smaller now.

Moving on to the real issue at hand, for those who care even less about childishness than I do and just want to get their system running:

As I suspected, the DSDT for the P6X58D is nearly identical in every way to the Rampage II Extreme, P6T-SE, P6T, Deluxe, etc with respect to the code that is relevant to OSX. In fact, there is still a great deal of code that is questionable but that is higher level DSDT theory. For now the idea is to get your system up and running with stability. I cleaned out all of the ASOC and overclocking code that is garbage to OSX and speedstepping should work, to name a few.

The following is a revised P6X58D DSDT with basic hacks and modifications. I couldn't add code for firewire or native LAN support since I don't have access to an I/O reg dump.

I plan to get this mobo in the next month so this is just a first draft and I'll be making revisions to this file. But again, it's nearly identical to the other mobos in its class so the smbios and boot files, and chameleon bootloader will apply (that I posted earlier).

If someone can google "EvoToolsX" and post the system IDs and PCI addresses generated, I can get this DSDT fixed 100%.

dsdtASUS.aml.zip

For those with newer ATI cards, you will be best served to download the boot file 10.6 from Netkas at http://www.netkas.org if the bootfile 1.8 that I provided doesn't work.

If so you may need to stick with your older smbios.plist but you can definitely use the boot.plist that I provided since it is supported by GraphicsEnabler=Yes via Netkas' 10.6 bootloader so you don't need to inject EFI strings into your boot.plist.

Attached is a shot of the info needed to properly configure the system devices in the mobo. It's the "LSCPI normal" tab in the application I mentioned above. It's a much simpler version of the I/O reg. The data shown is for my MacBook Pro so it won't apply to this mobo :)

Again once we have this we can determine where the firewire ports are located as well as well as Jmicron support since there is no Jmicron DSDT data on the native DSDT file. So for those who want to get their eSATA working as well as native LAN support this would be especially useful. In fact, there should be 2 LAN devices in the DSDT since some versions of this mobo are dual gigabit LAN, no? The LSCPI will determine their location and we may be able to hard code the data to drop a kext. Also location of the SATA could allow to drop a 2nd kext.

I almost forgot: Adding RestartFix=Yes in this form:

<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Add the above to your boot.plist if you've added the 1.1.8 bootloader and this will allow you to get rid of the restart kext OHR or EvoReboot in addition to having no more need for platformUUID.kext.

Adobe_ReaderScreenSnapz001.pdf

EDIT: Ok, what bits and pieces do you need for DSDT based LAN and Audio? Anything else you need?

(I'm sorry, your DSDT is far more advanced than mine. Whilst I don't agree with your heavy handed approach to my attempt, I accept yours is better.)

EDIT 2: I cannot get the system to boot past the Firewire text in the log when using AsereBLN bootloader and your DSDT/plists. :(

LsPci_info.zip

hello to all, i cannot make a new topic so i decided to write on this one,

i have an asus acer 7530g, and i was wondering if i can run mac os on it, are his hardware compatible, andhat tutorial should i use to install it? thanks

hello to all, i cannot make a new topic so i decided to write on this one,

i have an asus acer 7530g, and i was wondering if i can run mac os on it, are his hardware compatible, andhat tutorial should i use to install it? thanks

Not really, this is a totally separate bit of kit, try searching for it on here instead of posting in random threads?

Thank you very much. Between your posts and mchen15's posts I've been able to use your DSDT and LegacyYukon2 kext to get my system up and running. I did learn one thing from the experience that has not been reported here. My system will not deal with my old USB 1.0 printer. It hangs during boot when it's connected. I installed Ubuntu first, just to make sure all of the peripherals were working, and had no problem, but os x is not happy with the printer.

My configuration includes the P6X58D, Core I7 960, GeForce 9800 video card and 12GB of G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 memory and . For some reason, the kernel only schedules tasks to a single core. I assume that the problem should be addressed by editing the DSDT, but I'm not really sure how to proceed.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks again for all of the helpful information.

100% working on this board. I just transplanted my Rampage II Extreme install over and it worked 100%. The DSDT from that board works 100%. :wacko:

I just need to get the audio working and I'm done. :(

Here is the DSDT and a full working Extras folder. USB3 and SATAIII aren't tested but the rest of the system is 100% stable...shutdown, reboot and sleep/wake.

http://hotfile.com/dl/26928539/4df36a1/P6X58D_Extra.zip.html

Hope that helps a few people. I'm using PCEFI 10.5 bootfile with Chameleon RC3.

EDIT: Ok, what bits and pieces do you need for DSDT based LAN and Audio? Anything else you need?

(I'm sorry, your DSDT is far more advanced than mine. Whilst I don't agree with your heavy handed approach to my attempt, I accept yours is better.)

EDIT 2: I cannot get the system to boot past the Firewire text in the log when using AsereBLN bootloader and your DSDT/plists. :(

I've never been a fan of virtual interaction since people can come across as harsh when their intent is for encouragement. Glad that's over :)

This is a "beta" based on your LSCPI data. I need to do a bit more tweaking of the ports when I have more time but all of the device ID's should be correct.

The earlier DSDT enabled C-states but this one enables speedstep, turboboost, and c-states. Just be sure to enable speedstep and all c-states in bios.

Also add the updated boot.plist since you'll need it to drop your SSDT tables since they are coded into the DSDT table for an i7-920.

Add the fakesmc.kext to replace your old one in the Extras folder. In that folder you should have your internet kext, fakesmc.kext, IOACHIblockstorage, and probably an audio kext...so 4 in total. We may be able to get it down to 2 but for now this will do.

Last but not least, drag and drop the IOFamily kext included in the S/L/E folder onto kext utility. This enabled speedstepping in MacPro4,1.

Note: if having problems booting with the new bootloader and my revised DSDT here revert back to the old one and the old SMbios.plist that you were using until I can do more fixes. Just make sure it still says MacPro4,1. A screenshot of the IODeviceTree in I/O reg would be most helpful. Keep the bootfile I just uploaded except add your OHR or EvoReboot kext and take out the RestartFix=Yes in the bootfile.

EDIT: Some of those kexts that you are using might be responsible for the hang. You'll have to experiment a bit but most of those you can toss.

When using this updated DSDT, be sure to get rid of nullCPU and sleepenabler. Sleepenabler will cause a hang for sure.

Speedsteppack.zip

Cool. I'll give it a go tonight. I'm going to install the bootloader manually and then cut down on my kexts until it's working again.

I'll report back this evening with results.

What screen shots do you need, any specific devices? Do I still need HDAEnabler as well as my Legacy kext?

Audio isn't the greatest with our mobo series (ASUS 1366) and unfortunately we cannot hard code audio keys in the DSDT like can be done with Gigabyte boards (I wasted 3 solid days trying and failing epically). I can get it to show up in the system profiler cosmetically but it kills the kexts in the process. If two for audio, stick with that unless you can get it down to one.

I'd need the PCI0 devices and below from the 1st and 3rd page of the I/O reg explorer app. I realized that the LSCPI is great for finding the system devices but as far as structure goes, there are a few things that don't add up when attempting to sync it with the I/O reg and then the DSDT code. It's the odd one out until there's a revelation of some sort in my understanding. I attached an example of the start of the data from the first page that I'd need. I don't need audio in the expanded view or the USB ports expanded since those are standard for ASUS mobos. Mainly I'd need all of the other ports expanded to see what is active and where.

IORegistryExplorerScreenSnapz008.pdf

Right, got all that up and running with the newest DSDT and the boot and smbios plists. Also using AsereBLN 1.1.9 (it was the DSDT that was crashing it, I had left it in root before...oops).

How can I check the C-States and that Speedstep/Turbo is working?

In this DSDT it seems to have lost my Firewire where as I'm sure it was shown in system profiler before (I'll double check as I have my previous bootloader on USB ready to boot with in case this failed).

I'll get those other bits and bobs this evening for you.

Oh, and I'm using your FakeSMC, my HDAEnabler and LegacyHDA, the LegacyYukon2 I made and IOAHCIBlock along with your IOPlatformPluginFamily in S/L/E (is there anyway to make that a Legacy Kext as it's now the only extra/altered kext in my install. :wacko: ).

EDIT: MSR Tools just shows up as blank when testing with it. :P

I'd need the PCI0 devices and below from the 1st and 3rd page of the I/O reg explorer app. I realized that the LSCPI is great for finding the system devices but as far as structure goes, there are a few things that don't add up when attempting to sync it with the I/O reg and then the DSDT code. It's the odd one out until there's a revelation of some sort in my understanding. I attached an example of the start of the data from the first page that I'd need. I don't need audio in the expanded view or the USB ports expanded since those are standard for ASUS mobos. Mainly I'd need all of the other ports expanded to see what is active and where.

I think this is what you're looking for?

IOExplorer.zip

Right, MSR Tools is working in 32bit mode (I left the 64bit flag in by mistake) and it reporting going from 1.6GHz @ IDLE and working up to Stock and Prime95 has just proven that Turbo is working too. 2.8GHz @ LOAD and it drops back down when I kill the Prime95 process. ;) Temps are looking ok too. 50*c @ LOAD with a Corsair H50 (maybe a touch higher than they usually read in Windows but I can live with that because I usually Fold 24/7 @ 4.3GHz..).

How's that IO dump doing? I dunno if it'll help but the Ethernet are on POP6@1C,2 and PCI-BRIDGE@1C,5 from what IOExplorer can tell.

EDIT: Sleep works 100% now too. :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm trying to decide between the P6X58D and gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD7.

Is it safe to say that at this point the Gigabyte board is easier to hackingtosh than the Asus? Or does it make little difference?

Right now both boards are pretty much equal when it comes to hackintosh. If you know how to do it, either will be fine. It's the extra features that we desire (SATAIII and USB3) that aren't working on either). Personally I prefer the Asus because of the build quality, it's AMAZING!!!! :);)

Annnyway...back on topic. :D

Right, MSR Tools is working in 32bit mode (I left the 64bit flag in by mistake) and it reporting going from 1.6GHz @ IDLE and working up to Stock and Prime95 has just proven that Turbo is working too. 2.8GHz @ LOAD and it drops back down when I kill the Prime95 process. :whistle: Temps are looking ok too. 50*c @ LOAD with a Corsair H50 (maybe a touch higher than they usually read in Windows but I can live with that because I usually Fold 24/7 @ 4.3GHz..).

How's that IO dump doing? I dunno if it'll help but the Ethernet are on POP6@1C,2 and PCI-BRIDGE@1C,5 from what IOExplorer can tell.

EDIT: Sleep works 100% now too. :D

Right on...now things seem to be rolling :P Let's see if I can sort out these last few issues. I actually needed the audio collapsed instead of expanded.....but I noticed the example that I posted contradicted what I wrote so it's my fault there. Either way I think I have enough based on the hardware I/O page. If you can post the collapsed view of the first page that will help just in case I cannot finalize it based on this 3rd page. In the meantime I'll see what I can do.

I'll upload those in about 5 hours. Also, I just checked and Firewire has vanished with your latest dsdt. :D

Will you be able to put audio and ethernet in the dsdt? In my dsdt (Or a pure rip from the board) the ethernet seem to be on Pop6 and Pop9 instead but I can confirm this this evening if you want.

Msr did report a sudden jump back to Turbo whilst idle last night but I couldn't tell whether it was the app bugging or a speedstep or cstate thing?

One other thing, do you think it'll be possible at some point that the usb3 and sata3 will work in OSX?

I'm fairly confident that one or both of these will work to clean up the last remaining issues. Try the first that directly supports firewire and test to see that sleep and audio still function normally. If not I took out firewire until I can figure out what's breaking it and that's the 2nd file. I tweaked a few more things based on the device tree.

I had LAN on P0P6 and I added the 2nd to P0P9 before I read your post here as I was thinking the same thing based on your data...plus the Rampage is the same.

As far as audio goes that's going to be very tricky. Usually when I code it in the DSDT it kills the modified kexts. But I'll go ahead and add a couple more dsdt files with audio coded in. I guess it can't hurt to experiment.

Supposedly Apple will add USB3.0 and Sata III support with the release of the MacPro5,1. Even if they don't have it in their systems there are several 3rd party vendors who are selling cards that will work in current Mac Pros. I actually think that part of the reason 10.6.3 has been so slow to be released is because they might be adding support for it and are deciding whether or not to include it in the release. If not this coming release, definitely the next.

EDIT: added one with HDEF for audio..only a test

dsdtfirewireP6X58D.aml.zip

dsdtnofirewireP6X58D.aml.zip

audiotest.aml.zip