Snow Leopard Install for Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 w/ USB 3.0

r0tt3n

138 posts in this topic

I'm glad your up and running ...makes a nice fast mac :P this link maybe of some help to you as I put the 2 3870x2's I had in my daughters so I can not help with Ati if I mess with her system daddy's dead lol have a look http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

sent you a pm also your welcome glad to have helped I'm new at this too also Marvel raid works no problem to install osx another + for this mobo

Screen_shot_2010-02-02_at_9_14_52_AM.png

REGARDS JIM

Running 2 drive raid 0 for osx marvel chip bench previous post 4 driveraid 0 intel chip dual boot 4drive raid makes me want to get a compatible raid card ssd drives are fast. anyone know of compatible card other then jmircon?

raid.png

What 5 kexts are you using? Is that with shutdown/restart, sleep, audio, etc. working? Are you only using RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E or anything else? What DSDT are you using? Booting via? (USB? CD? what boot file/method?)? Do you mind posting your com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, and DSDT?

I have everything but sleep working but more than 5 kexts (8 plus 2 for PS2 support)....

Thanks!

Here is the file http://rapidshare.com/files/345906635/Extra.zip.html I have also pm'ed you another incase this gets down loaded more then the 10x RS allowed. I can get 4.3 also but I have a CO so I need to give her volts 1.45 1.5

here is a little 3.8 my 24 7 now that I'm stable with osx

Screen_shot_2010-02-04_at_9_03_41_AM.png

Here is the file http://rapidshare.com/files/345906635/Extra.zip.html I have also pm'ed you another incase this gets down loaded more then the 10x RS allowed. I can get 4.3 also but I have a CO so I need to give her volts 1.45 1.5

here is a little 3.8 my 24 7 now that I'm stable with osx

Thanks!

Yeah, I splurged on the UD7 because MicroCenter had the i7 920 for $200 before Christmas. Luckily it was a newer one and can reach 4.3 within spec voltages...

Appreciate the files! They didn't work for me on my boot CD though. I'm assuming you mod'd your DSDT so you could toss the other kexts? What boot file/method are your using? I'm using a modified TonyMac CD with the only mod to my vanilla SL install being RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E. That way I can easily play with other kexts/dsdts without disturbing my OSX install. I'd like to boot via USB thumb but haven't been able to get that working.

Have you seen these:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

I may give the latest one a try next...just need to get sleep working...the only extra kexts I'm using are:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

& PlatformUUID.kext

...but since it is working, I suppose I shouldn't complain! I may also use this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6771&st=400

for modding the dsdt to get rid of even more kexts...

Thanks again!

Hi guys I have some problem booting snow leopard installation from USB HD and DVD

when i start the booting procedure my pc restart immediatly after

"starting darwin x86" string

I tried snow hazard and i've patched it with "Kakewalk"(which contain the specific patch for GA-X58-UD7) and also the retail version of snow leopard 10.6 patched the same way...

My hardware:

GA-X58-UD7

intel i7 920

asus eah5870

3 x 2gb ddr3 corsair 1600mhz

which distro of snow leopard i have to use? how i have to patch it?

this problem could be beacause of my Graphic card?

thanks everyone in advance and sorry for my poor english. :)

Hello steno87, check your bios settings I have posted mine post 23 I think use retail osx no distro restore snow dvd to thumb drive install kakewalk to thumb drive

boot thumb drive if your not on a mac and on windows try Transmac 15 day trial to restore your osx dvd.

Install this to a thumb drive http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0 then replace the extra files with the ones I sent you. boot thumb drive hit any key when loader is counting pick your hdd. :P

Sweet! :D Worked like a charm! Seems to give me a higher geekbench too, I'm up to 11210! :) Sleep still doesn't work though...freezes solid! ;) But I'm down to 5 kexts!

Something else interesting - my CPU now shows 4GHz whereas it was reflecting 4.1GHz previously (though I boot up 4.2 in both cases)...

Thanks!

Hello steno87, check your bios settings I have posted mine post 23 I think use retail osx no distro restore snow dvd to thumb drive install kakewalk to thumb drive

boot thumb drive if your not on a mac and on windows try Transmac 15 day trial to restore your osx dvd.

steno87 - you may also need to add a line to your com.apple.boot.plist - I'm currently using a HIS 5750 and had to add the following

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

depending on the boot method I was using in order to boot into a desired (and then only available) graphics mode. I'll probably change this to 1920x1080 as soon as my new TV arrives but am hoping apple adds some drivers in the next OSX release. If drivers aren't available soon I'll probably just get a different card so I can enable QC/QE.....

Good luck!

That's great now you could try to extract your DSDT and recompile it so it reflects your system better mite help with your clock.

As for your sleep :D I don't have any issues lucky I guess but check under preferences.and see if all is set. I guess now I have to raise my geekbench score lol

ohhhhhh nooooo

i tried Snow Leopard retail dvd (7.16 gb) patched with Kakewalk and added the string in com.apple.plist about graphics mode and my pc reboot itself when i tri to boot and the fan of my graphic card start running at max speed, the monitor turns into black and i have to shut down the pc manually with the case button.

when i start again my pc.. it says that "the system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages"

i cant undestand why i cant boot neither snow leopard nor leopard 10.5.

:rolleyes:

EDIT:

starting in verbose and safe mode (-v -x)the system seems to load all kexts but then it reboots at string:

"boot display"

(starting just whit -v it reboots immediately at string: "starting darwin")

any idea?

ohhhhhh nooooo

i tried Snow Leopard retail dvd (7.16 gb) patched with Kakewalk and added the string in com.apple.plist about graphics mode and my pc reboot itself when i tri to boot and the fan of my graphic card start running at max speed, the monitor turns into black and i have to shut down the pc manually with the case button.

when i start again my pc.. it says that "the system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages"

i cant undestand why i cant boot neither snow leopard nor leopard 10.5.

:(

EDIT:

starting in verbose and safe mode (-v -x)the system seems to load all kexts but then it reboots at string:

"boot display"

(starting just whit -v it reboots immediately at string: "starting darwin")

any idea?

Things are certainly pointing to your graphics card. A lot of wasted power since you can't use QE/QC anyway (and unless 5000 series drivers come out during the next SL or MacPro update that will likely be true for the foreseeable future). Got a spare 'tosh friendly card anywhere that you can try?

That's great now you could try to extract your DSDT and recompile it so it reflects your system better mite help with your clock.

As for your sleep :) I don't have any issues lucky I guess but check under preferences.and see if all is set. I guess now I have to raise my geekbench score lol

Which preferences? What should I be looking for?

thanks everyone who answered me... I will try another graphic cards if i get one from a friend..

but im disappointed because there's a thread on 5870 card and some users say that they installed snow leopard whithout any kext for this graphic card and it works! (at 1024x768 but it works!). i hope that with the full support by apple this will work for me also.

thank you again.

thanks everyone who answered me... I will try another graphic cards if i get one from a friend..

but im disappointed because there's a thread on 5870 card and some users say that they installed snow leopard whithout any kext for this graphic card and it works! (at 1024x768 but it works!). i hope that with the full support by apple this will work for me also.

thank you again.

If someone has it working, and you can live with 1024x768 and no QE/QC, don't give up! Probably best to take the queries to that thread though...

Like I said, I got my 5750 working and was also stuck at 1024x768 at first. Just make sure you don't have any graphics related kexts in your Extra folder. You can always try and force 1024x768 in com.apple.boot.plist as well. I've got 1280x1024 now and can probably go higher (as soon as I get a new monitor) but if I can't get QE/QC going soon, I'm in the market for a new card!

Again, good luck!

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm looking to buy this mobo "GA-X58A-UD7" this weekend. I'm interested in knowing if 10.6 can be ran in 64bit? I've noticed all the specs pics displayed here show 32bit. I assume everyone is using Vanilla?

I'm looking forward to checking out asap. Here is my shopping cart:

75-GIG9084.GIFGTX -285 PCIE 1GB GDDR3 DX10 2XDVI-I TV Out Smart FanMfg Part# GV-N285UD-1GH Provantage# GIG9084.

75-ITEP32A.GIFCore i7-975 Extreme 3.33GHz 8M L3 Shared Cache 1066MHz LGA1366 BoxMfg Part# BX80601975 Provantage# ITEP32A.

java script:SCD(1056.29

75-GIGB06F.GIFGA-X58A-UD7 X58 LGA1366 Max-24GB DDR3 ATX (4) PCIe16 (2) PCIeMfg Part# GA-X58A-UD7 Provantage# GIGB06F.

java script:SCD(346.28

75-HEWA165.GIFHP Pavillion 2709M MonitorMfg Part# NT188AA#ABA Provantage# HEWA165.

java script:SCD(363.00

75-CSMC07A.GIFCore i7 6GB Kit (3x2GB) DDR3 1866MHz Dominator with Fan 9-9-9-24, 1.65VMfg Part# TR3X6G1866C9DF Provantage# CSMC07A.

java script:SCD(300.76

75-SNDK2T0.GIF16GB Drvie-Easystore USB 2.0 Hi-SpeedMfg Part# SDUSBES1-016G-G11 Provantage# SNDK2T0.

java script:SCD(33.63

75-1110640605.JPGOR1000LCDRM1U Smart Application LCD UPS 1000VA/600W 1UMfg Part# OR1000LCDRM1U Provantage# CYPR03V.

java script:SCD(285.14

75-WNDO05T.GIFWD Caviar SE 2TB SATA-Hard Drive 5400RPM 64MB 3.5LP 3-YearMfg Part# WD20EARS Provantage# WNDO05T.

java script:SCD(178.83

Please let me know if I should change anything.

Thanks!

All working ethernet 1 and 2 firewire video GTX285 sound stereo :wallbash: but better then no sound. I used my DSDT from 10.5.8 and recompiled in 10.6.2.Now to add second video card

http://www.myalbumbank.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3663

http://www.myalbumbank.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3662

http://www.myalbumbank.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3664

Updated DSDT for bios F4 (thanks to bomtnguyen

http://www.kexts.com/view/216-gigabyte_ga-...ud7_(v1.2).html

update system running great .....I just can't get second gtx285 to run I install second card blank screen tried pci1 pci2 as default no go

Hope to figure it out soon got some time this weekend. I am open for suggestions :(

Hi people,

glad to see so many people using this wonderful motherboard.

However, I'm having a hell of a problem.

Not with anything in particular, PARTICULARLY because it's my first time doing a Hackin' and I have no idea what are the stuffs you guys are talking about like bootloaders, EFIs, kexts, DSDTs etc.

I'm a total n00b with Hackin' glossary and I was hoping that there'd be a newbie section on this forum but no.

Seeing that this motherboard is getting popular, I'm suggesting that someone come up with a step-by-step guide on installing 10.6.2 on this mother of a motherboard, which would help people like me! =)

Here are my system specs in case anyone was wondering:

i7 920

GA-X58A-UD7

OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600mhz CL7 6GB kit

1TB WD Caviar Green

1TB WD Caviar Black

XFX GTX 285 1GB XXX Edition

Regards,

Zhenjie

Singapore

Updated DSDT for bios F4 (thanks to bomtnguyen

http://www.kexts.com/view/216-gigabyte_ga-...ud7_(v1.2).html

update system running great .....I just can't get second gtx285 to run I install second card blank screen tried pci1 pci2 as default no go

Hope to figure it out soon got some time this weekend. I am open for suggestions :star_smile:

Likewise...updated to F4 and used the above DSDT/Kexts updated with the AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader and everything seems to be working great! It even went to sleep! Couldn't wake it up but that's farther than I've gotten before (might be my PS2 KB instead of USB)! Just need to figure out how to get it to accept a little more speed....have only managed 4 GHz (with bios set to 4.2)....

I'm waiting at least a month before I punt on my 5750....jamzmar you have one sick setup (drool)!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have tried using the image posted by Cybex and I am having some (alot) trouble.

It did get me further than Kakewalk, but when booting with -v -x I can see the error.

The last two lines on the screen before it just stops responding is:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

DSMOS has arrived

I have also tried using the AsereBLN 1.1.9 instead of 1.1.8, but with the same result.

Will try it with only one GFX-card, but I dont think that will change much.

Other than that I have no idea what else I could do so any suggestions would be very helpful.

System specs:

Gigabyte X58A-UD7

Core i7

Intel X25M 80Gb

ASUS GeForce 9800GT (two of these)

Thanks for the hard work, Cybex!

I've followed the Lifehacker's directions to install my SL, but I've substituted his "Extra" folder by yours. Worked well enough (I'm writing these lines from my SL, in fact), but I find myself waiting for the spinning ball to stop all too often, when performing most simple actions such as clicking on the menu of any application. It does not appear to be a CPU problem, or if it is it doesn't show on Activity Monitor, which remains low at all times, but rather disk-related, but I don't know how to diagnose, let alone solve it. Any ideas?

My setup is:

MB: GA-X58A-UD7 (obvious :D )

CPU: Core i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz

RAM: 6 x 2 GB

HD: WD 2 TB Green Caviar on port 0 of Intel integrated controller.

Video card: nVidia 9500GT

Besides, sound did work once but never again; though System Profiler shows:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Line Out:

Line Out:

Line Out:

External Microphone:

Line In:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Combo

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: Combo

The preferences panel says there is no sound device. Not very important because I use an external FW interface, but I mention it for if it helps to diagnose the problem.

Thank you all in advance for your help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Everything seems to pretty much work for me here.

I had to add EvOreboot.kext because my restarts would not complete properly. I also had to add a modified Realtek1000SL.kext plugin, as described here because no other method would make the on-borad adapters appear as built-in (and this is important for Matlab or other tools that use flexlm).

One thing is a bit odd, though. I cannot boot in i386 (32-bit mode), only in 64 bits. For the most part this is ok. But some apps will not work with the 64 bit kernel. Does anyone know how to make GA-X58-UD7 work in the 32 bit mode?