[hp nc6000] Please help me to choose kernel and kexts/patches

C0ld_V0id

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I`ve succeeded to install JaS 10.4.6 on my nc6000 and it worked perfectly. But, I wasn`t be able to install Photoshop CS4, cause it requires 10.4.11. I`ve downloaded “XxX 10.4.11 rev 2.0”, and OMG, it has billion of options to customize install with! 10.4.6, for example, had only 3-5 options. First install with 8.11.1 Intel kernel was totally unsuccessful, I`ve got a kernel panic, second install with 8.1.9 kernel was a bit better – system booted, sound / QE was working, but I`ve faced severe mouse tearing, random freezes for about a 1 min. and my nc6000 wasn`t be able to restart, system was hanging up after restart is pressed. Well, the questions is – which options to take? As for the hardware -

CPU: Intel Pentuim M 1.6 Ghz (SSE2 only)

Chipset: Intel 855PM chipset with 400MHz processor side bus

Wi-Fi: Atheros (possibly AR5212)

Audio: ADI1980

Customize screenshot

screenshot

Osx is a kind of philosophy you must be very quite and calm!! Al most everything can be sorted!

Ok if you have an usb hard drive I would suggest to install carbon copy!

When you format your external hard drive make it with 4 or 5 partition all of then extended mbr call them x1 x2.. or as you like!

Now with carbon copy make a full copy of your hard drive when finish boot in it an check if some think is wrong if you make a mistake or you are trying something you do not know you can always come back with your last good image!

STEP 2

Put the dvd on the player and restart the system, any key you will come on the install screen uncheck everything and then check only what you think you need according on all the information you have on your hardware!! you can make a quite good report with Everest under window or in some distro under mac install you get hardware info.

A very good point is to start with the flag -v, just press F8 after bios logo.

From now on you should just try one by one all the choice you have, remember ss2 CPU do not support vanilla or efi staff so you can just ignore them!!

If you stack somewhere just ask!!!!!!!

;)

Yaaahooooo =) I`ve got all set up and running perfectly =))) Thak you!

Would you be so kind as to post your followed steps so other owners of NC6000's can learn from your experiences? Basic information should suffice, like which install disc you used and which choices you made at the 'customise' menu.

If you wish, i can complement the documentation, as i have a NC6000 myself so i can repeat your steps.

Thx!

Sure, well, I`ve used the "XxX 10.4.11 rev 2" DVD. I`ve started with options that zippeddu advised, than I`ve manually installed: ADI1980, two USB packages (just type "usb" in finder and you`ll find a few packages on this disc), Java 10.4.6 and iTunes update. The one thing was left - is Wi-Fi, which I got set up and running using this guide. Well, that`s all, still I have a few issues: uTorrent and qutIM doesn`t work, still searching for solution.

PS: Feel free to select packages I mentioned above during install customization.

• 3 weeks later...
Sure, well, I`ve used the "XxX 10.4.11 rev 2" DVD. I`ve started with options that zippeddu advised, than I`ve manually installed: ADI1980, two USB packages (just type "usb" in finder and you`ll find a few packages on this disc), Java 10.4.6 and iTunes update. The one thing was left - is Wi-Fi, which I got set up and running using this guide. Well, that`s all, still I have a few issues: uTorrent and qutIM doesn`t work, still searching for solution.

PS: Feel free to select packages I mentioned above during install customization.

Could you please indicatie:

1. which video driver you have installed;

2. which driver you used for your (wired) ethernet;

My install works fine, except for the display driver, which is clearly not fit for the radeon9600 mobility (32mb) and the wired ethernet. Because wired ethernet doesn't work, it appears that WiFi gets ID 'en0', which is reserved for wired ethernet and thus doesn't work.

Thx!

I`ve fixed video issue using this guide.

it appears that WiFi gets ID 'en0', which is reserved for wired ethernet and thus doesn't work.

Therefore Wi-Fi doesn`t work either! Switch your "AirPort" to en1 or en2 using guide I mentioned before and post back what result you came up with ;) Personally, I haven`t tried to set up ethernet.

PS: I still can`t get battery indicator to work :D Please post if somebody managed to cope with that.

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I myself have an old nc6000 and while ive followed what packages i should install on xxx 10.4.11 xxx rev2, it never ends up actually finishing. When its time for a reboot, it does it and im presented with a blinking cursor ( _ ) on my screen top left. is there anything i need to do before hand, thanks in advanced.

By the way, Jas 10.4.5 works rather well, except that when i try configuring the IONetworkingFamily.kext (and reboot after) my mouse is then disabled, so cannot move it from one position.