Connecting an Electric Guitar to the Mac or PC?

alvin777

6 posts in this topic

Hi. If it's possible. For those in a tight budget and space. How do you connect an electric guitar to your Mac and make the Mac with it's speakers a sort of amplifier and use OS X and a guitar effects software (distortion especially) for both Windows and OS X(name them here, freeware is preferred:_____________) so you can have fun or make serious music. I assume you'd buy the small jack adapter for the guitar's cable jack so you could plug it in the line-in of the Mac or a PC

Thank you in advance.

Gbu

P.S. If that's possibly, any links to a DIY guitar hook that's either metal or wood to hang the guitar with?

try a cord that goes from the guitar to USB, they are about 20$, there are loads of varieties... Then you just use it through something like logic or garageband and it does the pedals, amp effects and stuff, and plays it through speakers off course... If your still interested and cannot turn up anything on google, ill dig mine up and link to it

Other option is headphone jack on your amp to line in on the computer, also digital effects box can be used as a preamp, I got a digitech BP200 cheap second hand (Is bass but no difference) best to use it in bypass mode and leave the effects processing to the computer. I prefer using the headphione out on my amp, sounds nicer, but its a bit big to leave right by the computer all the time.

Go with a FireWire connection if at all possible! I used to use a USB sound card for audio-in (guitar, mixer, whatever) and it would periodically cause problems because of the high latency. Being a longtime Mac user, I already had some FireWire devices around, so I looked into getting a sound input on that bus.

After a bit of research, I found the Behringer FCA202. It is just about the most affordable way to get high-quality audio into the FireWire port of your Mac or PC. Since it uses a full-duplex connection (data travels in and out simultaneously) it can send and receive audio at the same time, and you have near-zero latency. It's great. USB is only half-duplex, meaning it can either send or receive data but not both at once. That Behringer box has 4 1/4" audio ports, so you can plug your guitar directly into it. Then you can run Garageband or any other program with amp simulations and effects to make your computer a live music machine. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FCA202-Fir...e/dp/B000F8WED8

Hi. If it's possible. For those in a tight budget and space. How do you connect an electric guitar to your Mac and make the Mac with it's speakers a sort of amplifier and use OS X and a guitar effects software (distortion especially) for both Windows and OS X(name them here, freeware is preferred:_____________) so you can have fun or make serious music. I assume you'd buy the small jack adapter for the guitar's cable jack so you could plug it in the line-in of the Mac or a PC

Thank you in advance.

Gbu

P.S. If that's possibly, any links to a DIY guitar hook that's either metal or wood to hang the guitar with?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I'll check the Behringer out. I'm guessing if you plug it in through a Firewire, the sound would be good enough without needing a pre-amp? By the way how weak is the sound if I just plug it in to the line-in? Thanks again in advance and advanced Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.