How to disable speedstep in OSX?

dekz

15 posts in this topic

Delete :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

And there are others related to this Feature :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

Delete :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

And there are others related to this Feature :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

when u say delete, will deleting them from finder do and will my system run stock speeds after removing them?

It should do it. Or you use some other Speedstep Kext.

havnt fully done it yet, was more wondering if i need to fix some permissions or any other method to be sure its removed properly... i will report back..

found another NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... should i delete that?

havnt fully done it yet, was more wondering if i need to fix some permissions or any other method to be sure its removed properly... i will report back..

found another NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... should i delete that?

It prevents loading of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. But are you sure Speedstep is working? Maybe disable it in Bios, if the Bios allows to do that.

It prevents loading of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. But are you sure Speedstep is working? Maybe disable it in Bios, if the Bios allows to do that.

what else could be throttling my cpu and fsb?

i boot in with 1ghz fsb and 2.2Ghz cpu, its 1333FSB/2.66Ghz C2D cpu and my 800mhz memory stays at 667mhz no matter...

it goes up to 2.7ghz on load i guess, and stays there after it first has gone into that. memory no change whatever.

I deleted the kexts and booted with -f... still the same.

and does disabling speedstep in bios do anything for OSX, i mean, OSX doesnt read the bios?

Leopard on this system runs stock speed and was like that from the start... even with speedstep enabled in the bios.

Where are you getting the mhz readings from? About this mac is often wrong, you can use smbios to make it report the correct values. Use voodoomonitor to check what the actual speeds are, you need to install voodoomonitor kext properly as well as run the app.

Where are you getting the mhz readings from? About this mac is often wrong, you can use smbios to make it report the correct values. Use voodoomonitor to check what the actual speeds are, you need to install voodoomonitor kext properly as well as run the app.

had a hard time finding that app, u know a guide to install it some place?

was just reading about smbios.pplist-- got my readings from cpu-x and profiler.