Help needed for installing Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard 10A432 Universal v3.5

tbukdahl

84 posts in this topic

Hi everybody.

So, I've spent the past year (!!!) trying to get a working distro on my hardware, which is

Mobo: Asus P5Q SE

CPU: Intel DualCore 2 E8200

GPU: Radeon HD 2600 XT (can't remember if it's XT or regular) PCIE

DVD: IDE based DVD drive

Ive got the Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard 10A432 Universal v3.5 distro, and apparantly there isn't anyone that can / will ask the questions I've been asking for the past year, so I really really hope someone here can help me.

Does anyone know HOW to get the installation disc to boot, ?

Or better yet, does anyone know of a guide that applies to my specific hardware?

Seems I've been asking this question for ages without any response, so sincerely hope that someone inhere can proove that the hackintosh community isn't as closed, as I've experienced so far.

Re """hope that someone inhere can proove that the hackintosh community isn't as closed, as I've experienced so far."""

If you read this you MIGHT understand http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198992

Maybe if you had searched more you would have found this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188371

and this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183627

attitude adjustment needed

Rajas: Thx - did try that one about a year ago - didn't work, thou :-(

Did try to mod the BIOS didn't work either, but maybe you're right - need to replace my mobo, probably.

pdave64: actually, I've tried all kinds of searches - both here, Google, just about everywhere, and keep finding a lot of guides, that almost work, and then, not after all. You're right - attitude need to adjust - hereby done. However, it is hard to get just a simple reply from the community as such (not meaning insanelymac - but the community in generel).

I would at least, if I weren't such a n00b, give the answer to search, instead of just ignoring a plea for help. But, like I said, point taken, and attitude adjusted. And, by the way, thank you for posting the links you did - I'll look into it when I got back from work.

Can I ask just ONE more question; is, or is it not needed to have a SATA DVD drive, or can you go with IDE - same goes for HDD ?

That's it - all for my 25 cents.

Rajas: Thx - did try that one about a year ago - didn't work, thou :-(

Did try to mod the BIOS didn't work either, but maybe you're right - need to replace my mobo, probably.

pdave64: actually, I've tried all kinds of searches - both here, Google, just about everywhere, and keep finding a lot of guides, that almost work, and then, not after all. You're right - attitude need to adjust - hereby done. However, it is hard to get just a simple reply from the community as such (not meaning insanelymac - but the community in generel).

I would at least, if I weren't such a n00b, give the answer to search, instead of just ignoring a plea for help. But, like I said, point taken, and attitude adjusted. And, by the way, thank you for posting the links you did - I'll look into it when I got back from work.

Can I ask just ONE more question; is, or is it not needed to have a SATA DVD drive, or can you go with IDE - same goes for HDD ?

That's it - all for my 25 cents.

Sorry I was a bit heavy, this explains it better than I can, its a quote from jmw1956

""Well, I found out early on that just posting a "how do I fix this" on this board doesn't work too well. I was a little put off at first but I think I know why those posts generally go unanswered...basically its because someone has already put countless hours into resolving the most of the issues with osx86, and they just get tired of answering the same questions over and over when the information is already here if you just do a little research. I've found that there are very few problems that somebody else hasn't already experienced and posted information on. As I saw in someone's post here "Google is your FRIEND". ""

Re Ide or sata DVD & HD. I have a small form factor with a sata HD & ide DVD/CDRW combo. I have the HD set at combination. I don't use the internal DVD at all, its to clunky. I had a DL DVD from my old Mac, put it in external USB2 case. I have suggested to others that if they have an ext DVD they use it to install, and it has worked. Seem a lot of install problems are to do with drive setups. IMO GUID partitioning is less problematic than MBR too

pdave: no sweat - everybody gets worked up sometime - especially when a n00b like me reaches boiling point :P

But, really, thank you - think the problem for my sake might be something to do with the drives, then.

I did get to the part where I need to replace the bootloader disc with the install disc, in the guide that Rajas refers to, but, only now (a year later) do i realise, that I needed to boot the install disc (I ran bootloader from USB) :)

Think I might need to give it a try.. again :D

But I might switch to SATA dvd - then go for SATA HDD - right now Everest reports my discs as ATA - might be a problem there, I guess, as well.

But, if I understand it right, all you need to do, is make sure the motherboard, the cpu, and the HDD and DVD drives are compatible. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

But, as I see it, my motherboard series is compatible - and my motherboard variant should be, as well, and goes without saying, that my CPU is compatible, so, logical deduction; should be the drives then.. :D

dave:

okay, so, I've tried this guide about a year ago, without any result.

Like you said; "READ" which I just did again - and it's been updated with the iPC distro - guess what, I finally figured it out - so, I'm going to test with iPC distro this weekend, but, must say, that I think it's going to work. So, you were right.. search and read !!! :)

Ahh, dave, if that's the case, It'll be what I was hoping to achieve - a vanilla install ;)

You really did turn me around in a matter of days, my man :(

Will give it a go, as soon as I've gotten the iPC distro to run.

By the way, is there a way to do a backup image, so if anything goes awry, I can simply restore the image to a working OSX install?

I've seen something about Carbon Cloner, or something, is that usable/doable?

I just checked CCC has an option to clone to disk image, Not a bootable image.

I think CloneX can back up to multiple DVDs thats bootable

Personally I use an usb to IDE adapter and have a number of old hard drives I plug in. I put a bootloader on the external so if need be just boot the external & copy back

Okay. That sounds great. Mind, that I'm on IDE DVD drive and ATA (or SATA) HDD and haven't got the insight to mess with bootloaders.. yet, but are planning to mess around with it as soon as I get the iPC running. Hopefully I'll end up with a working OS X vanilla / Windows 7 dualboot, when I'm done.

But sound quite interesting. Maybe I'll give your solution a go, with my USB HDD, since I only use it for storage, anyway. But just to be sure, you have an external HDD you simply copy, overwriting files, your install from, and are able to use it for storage as well!?! True / false?

Re external usb to put a bootloader on, you just run IPC or myhack pick the external and in the custom menu uncheck everything except the chameleon option, done you have a bootable drive. In CCC there is an option to only copy certain files, so you don't have to copy your backed up files already on your external.

Re dual boot, most threads I read say Partition your drive GUID, install Mac os first then windows

Hmm...... it seems the Darwin bootloader boots, I press F8, and choose -v, and then it crashes back to restarting my machine... hmm... BIOS, perhaps!?! :)

I have a similar Mainboard, P5Q-E, dont know the exact differences though. I had little trouble doing a retail installation of 10.5.6 and 10.6.0. I use a modified BIOS however, with patched out CPU-Aliases. Even an unpatched BIOS doesn't lead to a kernel panic as far as I remember, the boot process just stops.

I also use a PATA DVD-Rom drive but I didn't install directly from DVD. I did the installation from within a running OS X (iPortable live distribution) and once you have finished the installation you still can add the kexts for your IDE Controller, at least I could. So a PATA DVD shouldn't prevent you from booting.

The main obstacles in my case were the missing dsmos.kext under 10.5.6 and fakesmc.kext in 10.6.0.

You tried the -v parameter, it doesn't change the boot behaviour just try -v -x or after a new installation you should youse -v -f. These should allow you to proceed a bit further.

Another point is the support of your grafix card, if it doesn't run with vanilla drivers try to delete *ATI*.kext under /S/L/E/ to enforce VESA mode

Hi stream. I'm on my way home from work, so will definately be trying that In a couple of hours, and of course report back, how I went. By the way, does it mean anything that I still haven't partitioned

my drive for OS X yet? At the momen I have my disk 0 set for NTFS storage, and my disk 1 for NFTS Win7, and another partition NTFS for installation of software. I was planning to delete those partitions (disk 1) and do 1 partitioned for Mac Journaled inside Disk Utilities, once I get the installation to boot!?!

As mentioned before, i didnt install from DVD, thus i cant tell if you need to partition before the installation. But i think you have to.

I had to partition before my installlation, otherwise i wouldnt have a suitable destination disk and the setup couldnt proceed.

If you want to do a retail installation i think you also need a GUID partition style insted of MBR. For MBR you need a patched OSInstall.mpkg if i don't err. You have to choose HFS+ Journalled as filesys and under advanced you have to ensure that GUID is selected (should be selected by default). However you need to partition before you install OSX, there is no point in partitioning afterwards ;)

Well then, I know what I'll be spending

my night doing, then :-)

Thank God for my iPhone 3GS. I'm on it right now, so at least I can use this for searching an trouble shooting if/when something goes bad again :-D

but will get to partitioning as soon as I get home. Only 1hour now :-D

Thx so far, by the way, to everyone who's contributed in getting me started fullblown, on osx'ing my computer. This time around, I'm hellbent on making it work. :-D

Good advice re GUID. You did say that you had an external drive with some backed up files already on it. can you transfer those files somewhere or burn to cd/dvd, then you could use the external for the install without touching the internal drive. As the IPC DVD boots you could try different combination in the customise menu till you succeed (even Voodoo kernel if nothing else works)

Once you have it going you can clone to the internal.

btw I tried clonex, did not work

Dave: hmm.. guess I could delete some of my 123gigs of pr0n and transfer some data to the internal disks. Would save

me my win7 install for troubleshooting. However the external USB, will that work to install to, from the DVD?

If so, then I've got another night of heavy data moving ahead... and then, hopefully installing :-)

as always, WILL report bakc :-D

About clonex: hmm, will have to find another way then :-)

I'm a bit of safety freak. Once I get it working I'd like a "restore" disc :-D

Dave: hmm.. guess I could delete some of my 123gigs of pr0n and transfer some data to the internal disks. Would save

me my win7 install for troubleshooting. However the external USB, will that work to install to, from the DVD?

If so, then I've got another night of heavy data moving ahead... and then, hopefully installing :-)

as always, WILL report bakc :-D

Yes the external will work for install, done it heaps of times. You can partition it from disk utility on the IPC installer, after each try (hopefully not too many) I would partition it again or at least erase

Okay, so far I've gotten a hackintosh of the newest GM and are trying to run that one. So far Ive looked at the AppleDecrypt: Starting... For about 10 minutes. Read somewhere it might take up to 15 minutes or so to get past this. True/false anyone?

It says: com.apple.driver.ACPI_SM_PlatformPlugin has immediate dependencies in both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style

Know what that means?

I tried running in -x mode