Fix 104-Unsupported wireless HP/Compac,

Edkroket

36 posts in this topic

I got a Compaq V6500 with a Intel 3945 Wireless Mini-PCI card. That card is never gonna work so I bought a cheap Dell DW 1390 Mini-PCI card. Put it in and got this message.

"104-Unsupported wireless network device detected"

I Looked around the net and found this http://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/ treat and started to mess arround.

I finaly Patched the bios myself and it works!!! No more "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected" massage. Here is what I did;

In windows find the VEN/DEV and SUBSYS ID's from the Intel 3945 card.

Change the card with the Dell 1390 while windows is still running. And find its ID's as well.

Download and install the latest bios from HP and update bios.

Then open the the new bios with Phoenix Bioseditor. it is on your C drive.

The go to c:\programm\Phoenix....\Temp\ and open ROM4 with Hexit.

Find the VEN-ID,DEV-ID and SUBSYS-ID from the 3945 card, search for 8680 2242 3C10 5C13.

change 8680 2242 for E414 1143 and 3C10 5C13 for 2810 0700 and save the ROM.

Go back to Phoenix Editor and change some text in a dialog so that you are able to build a new bios.

That's it. save the new bios. and update youre system with this bios.

After reboot you should have no more errors and OSX will detect it as AIRPORT. Yes I'm writing this from my Compac V6500.

Here is my tested and running patched bios.

Bios_f.59A_With_dell_1390.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this method works for Phoenix bios. What about insydeflash bios like my hp hdx18 laptop ?

I would like to see a guide like the one posted above but for the insideflash bios.

Can anyone help me ? The bios to be hacked is this one : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45139.exe

Thanks!

Mal

I got a Compaq V6500 with a Intel 3945 Wireless Mini-PCI card. That card is never gonna work so I bought a cheap Dell DW 1390 Mini-PCI card. Put it in and got this message.

"104-Unsupported wireless network device detected"

I Looked around the net and found this http://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/ treat and started to mess arround.

I finaly Patched the bios myself and it works!!! No more "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected" massage. Here is what I did;

In windows find the VEN/DEV and SUBSYS ID's from the Intel 3945 card.

Change the card with the Dell 1390 while windows is still running. And find its ID's as well.

Download and install the latest bios from HP and update bios.

Then open the the new bios with Phoenix Bioseditor. it is on your C drive.

The go to c:\programm\Phoenix....\Temp\ and open ROM4 with Hexit.

Find the VEN-ID,DEV-ID and SUBSYS-ID from the 3945 card, search for 8680 2242 3C10 5C13.

change 8680 2242 for E414 1143 and 3C10 5C13 for 2810 0700 and save the ROM.

Go back to Phoenix Editor and change some text in a dialog so that you are able to build a new bios.

That's it. save the new bios. and update youre system with this bios.

After reboot you should have no more errors and OSX will detect it as AIRPORT. Yes I'm writing this from my Compac V6500.

Here is my tested and running patched bios.

Hi, this method works for Phoenix bios. What about insydeflash bios like my hp hdx18 laptop ?

I would like to see a guide like the one posted above but for the insideflash bios.

Can anyone help me ? The bios to be hacked is this one : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45139.exe

Thanks!

Mal

If there is an insydeflash editor I'm willing to try and see if it can be done.

Hand me the tools!

Ed

OK, thanks!

insydeflash editor (ezh20) is here :

http://myhpmini.com/forum/download/file.ph...a0e02b4f2b92b23

... and there is a post which tries to explain things here :

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2898

Please let me know if you have success in something ...

Thanks!

Mal

If there is an insydeflash editor I'm willing to try and see if it can be done.

Hand me the tools!

Ed

OK, thanks!

insydeflash editor (ezh20) is here :

http://myhpmini.com/forum/download/file.ph...a0e02b4f2b92b23

... and there is a post which tries to explain things here :

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2898

Please let me know if you have success in something ...

Thanks!

Mal

I'll give it a try tonight! :P

Ed

thank you very much Ed!

plz let me know here if you have news or when you are ready!

thanks a lot!

mal

Hi,

Finally I've found all the pieces and time..

So I've done it but I can't guarantee if it works. The "USB LOCK

You wish to install not "native" 3G Mini PCI-E card into your Mini311?

Receive "105 error" and the sentence to throw out your card?"

doesn't work on this bios but the second part was possible.

But this part "PCIE LOCK

You wish to install not "native" WiFI Half Mini PCI-E card into your Mini311?

Receive "104 error" and the sentence to throw out your card?"

Was possible and is done in the "3610F31_hack.fd" file.

I hope it works! cross your fingers!

:)

Thanks a lot Ed !

You're the Man!

I will let you know as soon as possible if it works!

I think i could recover my old bios with insydeflash even if something goes wrong... just need to find the procedure how to recover bios in case something fails before proceeding...

Thanks again !

Mal

Thanks a lot Ed !

You're the Man!

I will let you know as soon as possible if it works!

I think i could recover my old bios with insydeflash even if something goes wrong... just need to find the procedure how to recover bios in case something fails before proceeding...

Thanks again !

Mal

Here's the recoveryformule.. just in case...

PS If you "spoiled" your BIOS :

1. On a clean USB Flash Drive is formatted FAT16 or FAT32, copy original 3651F04.fd file, and rename it to 3651.BIN

2. Disconnect power suply and remove the battery

3. Press and hold Win and B keys

4. Connect the power supply and press the power button

5. release the Win and B keys after 3-5 seconds

6. recovery process will begin to load the BIOS image in memory

7. after few seconds computer start beeping every 2 seconds - a process of flash BIOS

8. computer shuts down automatically after flashing done

9. you have been saved icon_e_smile.gif

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2898 The link where it is all written.

Good luck!!!

Unfortunately the bios update did not have success and now i can not recover my old bios.

If anyone knows the procedure how to do it please help me.

I have a blank screen now and if i try to press win+B before startup i have a lot of beeps.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mal

****UPDATE**** I RECOVERED MY OLD BIOS! OK! Luckily i recovered it!

Now it starts up again, luckily!

Ed : Your bios is not correct. I don't know why .. .but can you please double check it if everything is ok ? Thanks!

Unfortunately the bios update did not have success and now i can not recover my old bios.

If anyone knows the procedure how to do it please help me.

I have a blank screen now and if i try to press win+B before startup i have a lot of beeps.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mal

****UPDATE**** I RECOVERED MY OLD BIOS! OK! Luckily i recovered it!

Now it starts up again, luckily!

Ed : Your bios is not correct. I don't know why .. .but can you please double check it if everything is ok ? Thanks!

Sorry for the trouble but glad to hear you're up and running again.

I did the trick again and followed the steps one by one.

So here is a new one. I hope it works!

Ed

hi ed,

thanks for trying again... But where is the link for download? Perhaps it's better we discuss about the procedure together. I have all the tools too... I think the most difficult part is to identify the section where to change the hex or binary values in bios file. Perhaps i will follow the devid&venid change method instead of brute force whitelist pass with unconditional jump. In this way it will be easier to identify the section of the bios file to modify.

Thanks!

Mal

Sorry for the trouble but glad to hear you're up and running again.

I did the trick again and followed the steps one by one.

So here is a new one. I hope it works!

Ed

hi ed,

thanks for trying again... But where is the link for download? Perhaps it's better we discuss about the procedure together. I have all the tools too... I think the most difficult part is to identify the section where to change the hex or binary values in bios file. Perhaps i will follow the devid&venid change method instead of brute force whitelist pass with unconditional jump. In this way it will be easier to identify the section of the bios file to modify.

Thanks!

Mal

Sorry here is the link.

I agree with devid&venid change as it is more relyable.

Try this one first and the links are in your own posts here look a bit up.

Ed

hi,

unfortunately it does not work again, same as before: blank screen.

*** UPDATE ***

I did it!

I did it by myself and i even left the original IDs of the original 5100 intel card so that i can put it again inside without re-hacking the bios smile.gif

It just took some time to learn how to edit with winhex and everything was done in a few minutes.

Now i have a full functional broadcom device and no more 104-unsupported device smile.gif

Thanks to everybody!

Mal

• 5 weeks later...
hi,

unfortunately it does not work again, same as before: blank screen.

*** UPDATE ***

I did it!

I did it by myself and i even left the original IDs of the original 5100 intel card so that i can put it again inside without re-hacking the bios smile.gif

It just took some time to learn how to edit with winhex and everything was done in a few minutes.

Now i have a full functional broadcom device and no more 104-unsupported device smile.gif

Thanks to everybody!

Mal

Wow, I'm going to have to try this. I'm kidn of a tard when it comes to these things. Can someone walk me through what I ahve to do with an HDX18? Thanx.

• 3 months later...

Hi just for posterity I also did a patch for a HP dv7 pavilion 1040ef with an 5100 mini to a half-mini 5300 (although does not stay quite nice being smaller I could not fix it with screws)

My problem was that the latest sp45082 infinity flash archive from HP has 3 FD files

30F3F2C.FD

30F4F2C0.FD

30F4F2C1.FD

so I had to do it for all of them.

short description:

use Ezh20 open the file

open winhex (here I had to use a newer version 15.6 because my old one was not able to save)

menu->tools->open ram->ezh2o->entire memory

search for the old 5100 card values

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086&REV_00

8680 3742 86801112 (strange is this inverted string which is not hexa) by the way there is also the hexa value in the flash but I did not touch it

the prior you must get the values from/for the new card

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4235&SUBSYS_11218086

(to obtain these values I had to connect hot-swap the card because from drivers I did not choose the correct one; I just plugged-in the card without any antennas and my win 7 x64 detected and installed the card.)

once again generate the reversed string based on the above vendor/device/subsystem

8680 3542 86802111

in Winhexa I have to choose a next string quite similar to what I have so I choose one to change as little as possible.

I had to change only the last 4 numbers for subsys.

save the winhex then save the FD file in ozH2O

same operation I had to do for all FD files in my sp45082 directory

Conclusion:

I had to spend some time (3-4 hours) of my life to do something that I have already payed good money for but HP decided that they want to have better control. So fÜck you very much HP! post-618704-1274190785_thumb.jpg

I forgot to tell you that you need to update from the same dir using WinFlash.bat

• 1 year later...

Would the numbers in the first post be the same for an upgrade from the intel wifi link 4965AGN to an Atheros AR5BXB6 found in an apple MacBook? The VEN/DEV for the intel is 8086/4229, and the SUBSYS is 11008086. The VEN/DEV for the Atheros is 168/001C and the SUBSYS is 0086106B. if they are different, can you please specify what to change them to?

• 2 months later...

I have an apple broadcom BCM94322MC in my hdx16 and I'm stuck with a blank screen. I tried to flash the bios with a modded (changed vendor id & whitelist removed) bios and still stuck with a blank screen during power on.

The broadcom card works in the 2nd mini pcie slot without any trick (pin taping, bios mod) but my problem is the aerials.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there any way to do this from Mac instead of Windows? Even though the Laptop I have (HP Pavilion DV7-1299EF) has two built-in hard drives, they are both almost full and so there is no way for me to re-install windows and then re-install mac (Except maybe a dual boot but I have to learn how to do that)

The card I want to install is an Atheros AR5BXB92 (of course more information should be given) but is there a way I can probably get the VEN DEV and SUBSYS ID using Mac ?

I thought of getting the VEN/DEV/SUBSYS ID on Mac and if someone could patch my bios for me I could then use Ed's method below to flash the BIOS ?

Here's the recoveryformule.. just in case...

PS If you "spoiled" your BIOS :

1. On a clean USB Flash Drive is formatted FAT16 or FAT32, copy original 3651F04.fd file, and rename it to 3651.BIN

2. Disconnect power suply and remove the battery

3. Press and hold Win and B keys

4. Connect the power supply and press the power button

5. release the Win and B keys after 3-5 seconds

6. recovery process will begin to load the BIOS image in memory

7. after few seconds computer start beeping every 2 seconds - a process of flash BIOS

8. computer shuts down automatically after flashing done

9. you have been saved icon_e_smile.gif

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2898 The link where it is all written.

Good luck!!!