My Kexts install ruined my MSI Wind U100 display - Solution?

Pipkato

3 posts in this topic

I think I’ve just done something stupid which has ‘crashed’ the video display on my MSI Wind U100 ‘Hackintosh’ (I deleted Windows XP).

I had OS X 10.5.8 running fine on the netbook, but had a slight problem with distortion on the display. In System Preferences it only showed 800x600 and images on the display, although full screen, were slightly stretched horizontally.

I think I had it running OK originally at 1024x600. Maybe I caused the display problem when I updated it to 10.5.8. I haven’t used the MSI much since I first installed OS X on it so I’m not sure what sequence of events led to the stretched display.

Anyway tonight I decided to try and fix the display issue and found the '10-1.5.6 upgrade pack V2' folder on the MSI OS X desktop with ‘Kext Helper’, sub-folders, and some graphics files and kexts. I vaguely remembered that these were supposed to solve display issues so did a quick Google for the install procedure.

I then used Kext Helper to load the files AppleIntelGMA950, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer, and LaptopDisplay (from the first sub-folder). My Google search had said I’d also have to reload another file, GMA950.pkg from the second sub-folder. But I wasn’t sure if that ‘reload’ should come before or after a restart. At the end of ‘Kext Helper’ installing the three files it suggested I should restart, so I did a ‘Restart’ without running the GMA950.pkg, and when the MSI Wind restarted the display was just a jumble of video ‘hash’.

I'm not a techie, so I’ve no idea what, if anything, I can do to solve this problem, and would appreciate any help or advice. I have retail DVDs of OS X Leopard and the Snow Leopard upgrade, and a USB stick which I think contains my original MSI OS X install.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've recently run into that exact problem and am trying to solve it.

However, I can help you get back to where you need to be to at least make your Wind usable.

The kexts get installed in System/Library/Extensions.

So what you need to do is boot from an external drive of some kind (USB, DVD, HDD) running some flavor of OS X (or possibly fire up the Wind as a drive from another Mac). Then go into the above directory and delete the three kexts you just added (doesn't seem to matter that one has installed the GMA950 package).

Then re-boot your Wind. You should be back to the 800x600 stretched display.

I'm still trying to figure out what kext needs to be loaded under 10.5.8 to make the display 1024x600 again.

Let me know if you find out, eh?

cheers, Stefan

btw, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my 10.5.6 installation to an external USB drive and I'm experimenting updating that drive rather than the one in my Wind. I just boot from the external USB for my experiments. I would recommend the same approach to you until this is sorted out - saves you a lot of grief..

• 2 years later...