Issues with GeForce GT220

Macmeister

42 posts in this topic

GT220 success.

I used this guide because I have a Asus P5QL pro aswell, but I prepared my retail 10.6 image with the myHack installer (default settings) to avoid GUID partitioning. (and Chameleon RC4)

Weird thing is that the GT220 works out of the box, without any altered injectors or kext's after updating to 10.6.2. It uses the standard NVDANV50Hal.kext

The only thing I needed to change was to set the GraphicsEnabler setting in com.apple.Boot.plist to Y (not YES, took me several days to figure that out!), no EFI strings or other complicated stuff.

All parts are fully functioning now, so me happy :D

Hey Guys,

I'm having a real hard problem. My system hardware as below -

Intel Quad Core Q8300 2.6GHZ

Nvidia GT 220 Series. 1 GB

4GB SDDR2 Ram

Intergrated Gigabit Enthernet

Intergrated high def audio 7.1 Channel

I'm running my Mac on a 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Installs fine. But the problem is, I don't seem to be installing the kexts properly. I'm not getting any audio, enthernet connection and my graphics card isn't running at full speed. I've read forums and still.. I don't know where to start. Please help! Thanks.

Hey Guys,

4GB SDDR2 Ram

I'm running my Mac on a 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Installs fine. But the problem is, I don't seem to be installing the kexts properly. I'm not getting any audio, enthernet connection and my graphics card isn't running at full speed. I've read forums and still.. I don't know where to start. Please help! Thanks.

I think its wise to start getting your motherboard working. Find out what board it is and look for kexts that matches your board.

Sometimes you even need to flash a customized BIOS to get MacOSX to work

Hey Guys,

4GB SDDR2 Ram

Its been pretty well documented that 10.6.2 is going to give you the best shot at getting graphics working so if you haven't updated yet you probably should. As far as ethernet and sound, you didn't post what board you're using nor the specific chipsets so it's hard to say what to do about those.

I think its wise to start getting your motherboard working. Find out what board it is and look for kexts that matches your board.

Sometimes you even need to flash a customized BIOS to get MacOSX to work

Hey thanks for the reply. My motherboard is a Intel GMA X4500 Intergrated. So everythings practically built in, the sound, the enthernet card and the graphics. For graphics I want to use it seperately from the motherboard as I am using a GT220 Nvidia. I've customized my BIOS and so far MacOSX is working fine, just that I have no idea how to install these kexts nor am I getting the right ones for my motherboard.

• 1 month later...
Update: 12/21/2009:

Seems like QE/CI support is broken again. I installed some updates, Java, Airport, and Apple Remote Desktop, and when the system restarted I noticed the menu bar was no longer translucent. I tried installing Chameleon RC4 to see if it would help and it did not. Chameleon still refuses to properly detect the GT220 on this system. All it ever sees is a generic NVidia Video Card with 32 MB of RAM. Silent_Natit at least gives me some proper support as before. I wish I had Time Machine setup so that I could go back but live and learn I guess...

how easy is Silent_Natit to isntall, every time i tried to get my palit gt 220 to work i ended up breaking the system (boots but i cant do much) and have had to reinstall. Im new to this so when theres a problem like that ive no idea how to recover it

finally i make it works. i download the enabler nvidia from the netkas.org page and it works

cq/ci full works!!

this broke my install, is there an easy way to remove this after installation?

how easy is Silent_Natit to isntall, every time i tried to get my palit gt 220 to work i ended up breaking the system (boots but i cant do much) and have had to reinstall. Im new to this so when theres a problem like that ive no idea how to recover it

this broke my install, is there an easy way to remove this after installation?

A user by the name of "sirfender" sent me this:

. The method to get Snow Leopard installed on this system worked wonders. I even fave full QE/CI o nmy GT220! You may be able to use parts of his method to get your card working.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you guys, nice effort :P

Well, I've recently purchased GeForce GT 220 X (to be exact) 1024 mb and having bit issues. Dashboard, Spaces, Quick look etc all are slow. Like bad! I also am using a DVI cable which gives me better and sharper images. Has anyone solved the issue? Do I need to install any .kext?

I've used OSX86Tools to generate the EFI string file... Looks like I do have QE enabled after playing chess, adding Google Widget etc and all those...

Oh, and one more thing. If I turn off my Monitor and turn back on, I get a smoooooth Dashboard and Spaces for like a minute... Still Quick Look is slow and bad too :'(

Hi iMoshi

I had a load of problems with my GT 220, I had no luck with kexts however using the AsereBLN boot loader 1.1.9 and graphics enabler <string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string> it works with the standard kext from the SL 10.6.2 install.

Hope this helps

R

Hi iMoshi

I had a load of problems with my GT 220, I had no luck with kexts however using the AsereBLN boot loader 1.1.9 and graphics enabler <string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string> it works with the standard kext from the SL 10.6.2 install.

Hope this helps

R

Thanks Roscoewy. Well, I do have this working when using VGA cable, but then I really wanna use my DVI cable and what happens is that when I use DVI cable my QuickLook, Spaces, Dashboard etc kinda lags... Slow... I've tried everything.

Are you using DVI cable by the way?

Thanks man

• 2 months later...

Hi I have the nVidia GT220 running on a Dell Vostro 430 - Everything seems to be running almost perfectly, except for a small issue that seems to be caused by the Video card.

When I connect two monitors (VGA + DVI) the system freezes and the monitors lose their signal (the same way when the system goes to sleep). I'm very new to this and thanks to the great info/tools I've found on this (and similar sites) I managed to get this far but I'm afraid this issue it's a bit more for experts. Would anyone please guide me on what I should do next?

I installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], with their Nvidia kexts which helped make the system run at full resolution. NVenabler = Yes.

Any help is truly appreciated. I really need my two monitors running.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have full 64 system. My specs are

HP Pavilion Elite - m9275.pt with iAtkos S3 10.6.3 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 GHz and GeForce GT 220.

Install went great with no extra customization. I had to alter com.apple.boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler to "Yes" (not "YES") and everything just works. Only problem I have is the famous Sleep issue. If I put my system to sleep fan speeds up on my GT 220 and I have to force shut down my system with 5+ secs on my power button. But beside that everything is working great with dual monitors (HDMI does not work - it freezes my system). If any one has any idea how to get sleep to work, please tell.

greetings from my Mac pro 3,1 HP Pavilion :D

grega

My problem ended up being a hardware one - so I called Dell and they replaced my Video Card and everything is working perfect. The only thing that doesn't work is the sleep option which for now I don't really care for.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great project! - now I have a system that's way better than most macs - and cheaper! 

• 1 month later...

Anyone benchmark their GT220?

I was comparing against a 9500GT I also have. Based on the Passmark page: PassMark Videocard Benchmark Charts I expected the GT220 to be ~25% faster, but that's not what I saw.

I wanted to sell one of them.. but not sure which to sell now... ie the 9500 is doing better for me now, but maybe with newer drivers the GT220 would do better in the future... dunno.