Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

Although I've been planning on purchasing an HP Mini 311 netbook to put Snow Leopard on, I've also been keeping my eye on the Asus Eee PC 1201N. Laptop Magazine posted some news about it last night and it's shaping up to be a potentially awesome OS X machine.

Specs:

Display size/resolution: 12.1 inches/1366 x 768

CPU: Intel Atom 330 dual core processor

Memory/Expandable to: 2GB/3GB

Graphics: Nvidia Ion

Hard drive: 250GB (plus 500GB online storage)

Ports: VGA, HDMI, 3 USB 2.0, Ethernet, headphone/mic

Card Slots: MMC/ SD(SDHC)

Wireless: 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Size: 11.7 x 8.2 x 1.3 inches

Weight: 3.2 pounds

Battery Life: Up to 5 hours with Super Hybrid Engine

Available colors: Black, Silver

Anyone else hoping to get OS X running on this?

• 2 weeks later...

I just pre ordered mine im so excited for it to come in, a month is a long time to wait.... iv been reading up and I am planning a dual boot Win7 and Snow... Looks really promising... plus i got it in Silver its gunna b my MacBookProMini time to let my old 701 rest...

this is my first post and iv been on here for over a year.... i love this site cuz it helped me on so many installs that i never needed to post... but i couldn't pass an opportunity to give my 2 cents on this one

Hi forum,

Just got my Asus 1201n yesterday and its great. I would love to put Snow Leopard on this beautiful netbook but so far without luck, Im no expert somewhat noob. Tried some instruction in this forum similar to hp mini 311 thread with no avail. Kernel Panic or stock at boot up , cpu unknown....I tried I deneb 1.3, 1.4 Kalaway 5.2 and SL retail DVD.

Hey looking forward to seeing this laptop running mac OS X.

Seems like there's been trouble with this processor. Seeing as much of the hardware is from nettops rather then netbooks, we should look for success with nettops.

This post seems to have solutions, best starting place, ignore the BIOS issues and focus on the CPU core modifications and the nvidia kext(note this is not for snow leopard):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=177867#

Heads up found some help from a post about the Atom 330 with an ION. It's vague I warn you:

hi, i customized retail OS by LDMx86(Leopard Dvd Maker x86) script. this method is famous in japan.

it's deffrent boot-132.

LDMx86 is shell script. original retail OS added user's kext and EFI patch by it.

base os is retail osx 10.5.6.

installer patched by acpifix pkg(replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext file).

retail os' contents added below kext by LDMx86 script.

<System>

-Disabler

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

-Enabler

SMBIOSEnabler.kext (SMBIOSResolver.kext is not use. it's kernel panic)

-Decrypter

AppleDecrypt.kext

-Other

OpenHaltRestart.kext

<Device>

-Video (ION)

NVdarwin.kext is modifyed (info.plist add deviceid 0x087d) add videoname string "NVIDIA ION" to NVdarwin binary.

-Audio (ALC662)

HDAEnabler.kext, LegacyHDAController.kext, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

and kernel flasg add cpuflags cpus=1 or cpus=2. no cpus flags or cpus=4 is kernel panics!

If anyone is wondering, the machine run OS X *extremely* well, when compared to a N270 + GMA950 netbook.

There is one main problem with the netboook:

The wifi card is a Realtek 8171 or 8191. This isn't supported as far as I can tell (alteast not in 64bit mode).

Right now, I've swapped the wifi card with a Dell 1510 (half sized) card and have wifi working.

I set Windows 7 to super performance mode before I installed OS X, not sure if that matters but...

I currently have 2 cores showing (no hyperthreading afaik).

The cpu is running at 1.66 GHz, not 1.6 (12.5 multiplier instead of 12)

What isn't working:

- Sleep is a bit finiky, It goes to sleeps fine, however resuming from sleep is a iffy. If you are lucky, it might take 10 seconds, if not, the screen will stay black.

- Built in wifi, I've swaped it

- Built in ethernet, although a driver could be modified for it.

- Hiperthreading (as far as I can tell)

Pretty much everything else works (gpu, battery, bluetooth, usb, etc).

Thx Meklort for the feedbacks

Can you precise the way sound and trackpad work ? Out of the box or with a dedicated kext ?

I used NetbookInstaller (modified for 64bit support) to installer. The touchpad kext is the same one used for the Dell Mini's, it's just been recompiled as a 64bit kext. The touchpad is made by Synaptics, has the 7.2 firmware on it, and has 5 extended queries included that are probably for the multi touch features (these are not documented by Synaptics as far as I can tell).

I haven't tried anything special as far as audio goes. In other words, I was lazy and used VoodooHDA. Right now, it sounds horrible / like it's clipping (which can be fixed with a better clipping algorithm inside of the kext).

The DSDT must be patched before the machine will boot. To do this you have to fix the cpu aliases. You also have to patch the dsdt before sleep will work.

I'm also using a modified bootloader to get the USB bios / os handoff working.

As far as out of the box, Since I used NetbookInstaller (an as of yet unreleased version, I'll post one sometime), everything works without user tweaking.

I used NetbookInstaller (modified for 64bit support) to installer. The touchpad kext is the same one used for the Dell Mini's, it's just been recompiled as a 64bit kext. The touchpad is made by Synaptics, has the 7.2 firmware on it, and has 5 extended queries included that are probably for the multi touch features (these are not documented by Synaptics as far as I can tell).

I haven't tried anything special as far as audio goes. In other words, I was lazy and used VoodooHDA. Right now, it sounds horrible / like it's clipping (which can be fixed with a better clipping algorithm inside of the kext).

The DSDT must be patched before the machine will boot. To do this you have to fix the cpu aliases. You also have to patch the dsdt before sleep will work.

I'm also using a modified bootloader to get the USB bios / os handoff working.

As far as out of the box, Since I used NetbookInstaller (an as of yet unreleased version, I'll post one sometime), everything works without user tweaking.

Awesome job Meklort, would you mind share it with me, how you did it in step by step instruction, which one to use, how to modified boot installer, just could not find any version that would boot with my asus 1201n, been trying for weeks now, thanks a lot.

Awesome job Meklort, would you mind share it with me, how you did it in step by step instruction, which one to use, how to modified boot installer, just could not find any version that would boot with my asus 1201n, been trying for weeks now, thanks a lot.

I'll post a version of NetbookBootMaker that will prepare a USB drive for the 1201n in a couple of days (probably on Saturday). I need to iron out a few tweaks before I'm conformable with that though (and there is this one kernel panic that I need to track down).

I'll post a version of NetbookBootMaker that will prepare a USB drive for the 1201n in a couple of days (probably on Saturday). I need to iron out a few tweaks before I'm conformable with that though (and there is this one kernel panic that I need to track down).

Thanks......looking forward to it..Merry Christmas....and happy holidays...

Thanks very much meklort for working on the 1201n in addition to recent update to NetBookInstaller 0.8.3

How was it opening the 1201n? Easy or are there any tricks? I intend to replace HD with Intel SSD and swap wifi card to Dell 1510 if orig. card isn't supported.

Interesting that the stock 250GB HD came with 3 partitions- hidden recovery 4GB, system 96GB, and blank 150GB (all approx).

Any changes to BIOS necessary you think to get hyperthread working?

Thanks very much meklort for working on the 1201n in addition to recent update to NetBookInstaller 0.8.3

How was it opening the 1201n? Easy or are there any tricks? I intend to replace HD with Intel SSD and swap wifi card to Dell 1510 if orig. card isn't supported.

Interesting that the stock 250GB HD came with 3 partitions- hidden recovery 4GB, system 96GB, and blank 150GB (all approx).

Any changes to BIOS necessary you think to get hyperthread working?

I followed the guides for the other seashell netbooks

Basically, you take of the keyboard (use a small screwdriver to pop it up in the notches. Once you do that, you can take off the top cover by unscrewing all of the screws underneath the keyboard as well as on the bottom of the machine. You do have to break a warranty sticker to unscrew one of the screws. After that, just slide something in it like a credit card to release the clips.

The wireless card is located under the ribbon cable connecting the motherboard to the io ports on the right hand side of the machine.

Mine isn't together as nicely as it was before, but it works (I may try to get it together better later though).

Well, Apple currently has my macbook, so I'll post what I have at the moment.

I have *not* included certain kexts (battery) at the moment, it might be causing a kernel panic. Somehow I also broke sleep.

You can download NBI for the 1201n here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/1201n/Netbo...ler%201201n.zip

Note that it's currently uploading, and may take some time (dropbox is also downloading everything to the 1201n...)

Note2: This is not NetbookBootMaker (I don't have it with me at the moment, on the macbook...). That means follow the directions to use:

1) Restore DVD to an 8gb usb drive (flash or hdd)

2) Run NetbookInstaller, select the restored drive from the menu. Uncheck generate DSDT.

3) Install from usb disk

4) Reboot to newly installed drive using the flash drive run NetbookInstaller on the 1201n internal drive (uncheck generate DSDT).

I'll try to upload NetbookBootMaker, once dropbox downloads my backup (and I recompile it). That one will be much easier to use.

Well, Apple currently has my macbook, so I'll post what I have at the moment.

I have *not* included certain kexts (battery) at the moment, it might be causing a kernel panic. Somehow I also broke sleep.

You can download NBI for the 1201n here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/1201n/Netbo...ler%201201n.zip

Note that it's currently uploading, and may take some time (dropbox is also downloading everything to the 1201n...)

Note2: This is not NetbookBootMaker (I don't have it with me at the moment, on the macbook...). That means follow the directions to use:

1) Restore DVD to an 8gb usb drive (flash or hdd)

2) Run NetbookInstaller, select the restored drive from the menu. Uncheck generate DSDT.

3) Install from usb disk

4) Reboot to newly installed drive using the flash drive run NetbookInstaller on the 1201n internal drive (uncheck generate DSDT).

I'll try to upload NetbookBootMaker, once dropbox downloads my backup (and I recompile it). That one will be much easier to use.

This is great, truly grateful from your generous effort, thanks again and i will give this a try....

This is great, truly grateful from your generous effort, thanks again and i will give this a try....

it

Hi Meklort,

Followed your instructions, restored Retail MacOs dvd to usb drive, run netbookinstaller, selected that restored usb drive, unchecked generate dsdt . Power up 1201n, boot directly to restored usb drive, then installing MacOs , unabled to patch 64bit kernel showed up at the upper left corner screen then kernel panic occurs, do i have to do something in the bios. Thanks

vince,