CINEBENCH Benchmarks (attached) vs REAL iMAC and MB (2.0)

4 posts in this topic

Cinebench is a real world benchmark, used to showcase possible GPU and performance (motion, finalcut, rendering).....I RAN THIS TEST at the local apple store - they allowed it since I mentioned that the benchmarks that where done in Jan 06 on Cinebench showed the iMAC in a bad light! I said it must have been rossetta whereas this version is UB. Link to Jan 06 article.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/imac-coreduo.ars/6

A few things to note:

Notice on the hackntosh the rendering is slower even though it's a 3.0 ghz chip, makes you wonder if the dual core is utilized at all. Is this in need of a hack?

2nd.

In addition the Shading OpenGL is more the 50% lower on the hackntosh vs MB (Same chipset) (the iMAC is fatest of course due to ATIX1600 card)...One can wonder, do we have to make adjusments to our OUT OF THE BOX KEXT FILES? The rest are close enough for a slef made box to be either MB or iMAC, if indeed ATIX1600 kext files are made with dual display, I would expect this number to jump up.

Also, I noticed in DISPLAY (about mac on mine) it says QE/CI enabled but no display attached.....hmmmmmmm :gathering:

Advice? You would think it (hacknTosh) should be on par with at least the macbook (same chipset)....

Systems tested!

iMAC 1.83 ghz

MB 2.0 ghz

HackNTosh (3.0 ghz dual core)

[edit]will just make it easier if I post the results as text

:-)

Processor : hackntosh2

MHz : 3.0

Number of CPUs : 2

Operating System : x

Graphics Card : gma950

Resolution : <fill this out>

Color Depth : <fill this out>

Rendering (Single CPU): 255 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 474 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.86

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 337 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1207 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 588 CB-GFX SAME CHIPSET AS MACBOOK

OpenGL Speedup: 3.59

iMAC 1.83

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester : osx

Processor : imac

MHz : 1.83

Graphics Card : ati

Rendering (Single CPU): 283 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 528 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.87

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 329 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1263 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 2391 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 7.27

Tester : macbook

Processor : macbook

MHz : 2.0

Graphics Card : gma

Rendering (Single CPU): 304 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 567 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.86

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 355 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1170 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 1176 CB-GFX SAME CHIPSET AS HACKNTOSH

OpenGL Speedup: 3.31

1_hackntosh2.txt

macbook_macbook.txt

osx_imac.txt

Interesting dilemma to say the least. I’ve been following your threads for quite some time and find it rather captivating and odd at the same time. :D

I notice that these boards have died down somewhat in the past months and wonder if that is due to this Maxxus disappearing maybe?

Anywho, On to my points.

While on one hand you have spend almost $500 US dollars it looks like you have about the performance of the iMAC and Macbook with of course the bottleneck being your graphic cards and problems with the Serial drives. On the other, there are new chips coming out from intel which would mean the Intel EE 775 presently at $1000 will drop in price, therefore allowing you to upgrade, something you would not be able to do with a iMAC or Macbook. However, with this being said, there is also the issue of extra money if you want dual display OR is there hope for you and all of us that once the towers arrive that we should have some type of stable ATIX1600 PCIexpress drivers maturity with dual display.

Now, there is something else that I must mention. Working in music as well, I remember reading that on the Nuendo Boards, that PCIexpress sometimes wreaks havoc on audio systems, I wonder if that is the case these days or have they sorted that out?

It is strange times indeed. You know the towers will be unreachable in terms of price, much much too high and one can only speculate if he/she will be able to build a system that surpasses the towers once they come out. In addition, we must also wait to see if and when dual driver support and ATIexpress drivers reach there plateau and your speeds would increase with the right ATI card.

In my opinion, if your looking to learn final cut pro, I think you have a decent system. Sure you don’t have dual display, you don’t have ATI support yet, but think of it this way, down the road intel is supposed to be working on a new chipset that is supposedly supposed to have good, and I mean really good GPU qualities. With all the 775 chips they sold, it would very easy for them to introduce these boards direct to the 775LGA chip holders, of course, this is speculation. But one can hope can’t she! :):poster_oops:

If you get an iMAC you will get better speeds, you will be legit and it will cost you about $800 dollars and all you will really be getting is one bench mark that is faster. On the plus side, you would have the legit factor which would mean plug n play, guitars, logic, no hassles, support, and so on, but at the same time you will have a machine, in my humblest opinion, that will be overshadowed faster than Apples turn around time used to be. So, if it’s for learning, I’m wondering if you should just stay with what you have for now, then down the road, provided your talented, blessed and in the right place at the right time, then you can buy all the macs you want, and believe you me, they will be very fast by then.

Its really up yo you and how you feel about it, your goals, your present situation, finances, current computing setup and so on.

May you succeed and find the anwsers.

:-)

And thank you for the benchmarks as I was interested too, especially after reading that other thread that showed the iMac very bad. Thank you again!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, weird dilema, I built this just to learn FINAL cut which I can do on one screen, then, after the build thinking the ADD2 card would work with my monitors, I find out I need a DVI monitor, so I guess I could try and sell one and use it toward the purchase of a DVI monitor.

If not, then its $480, plus whatever a DVI monitor costs ($300?), then the ADD2 card $35.00

and still even though I have 2 GB of DDR2, it still isn't as fast as the MB or iMAC and my total cost is almost $900 when for a few more dollars I can get a legit iMAC, but then again, this limits the upgradability.

The only plus to this build would be if I spent even more $$, got a ATIX1600 (another $130) or so, and now I am in the iMAC price point, and that's with the hope of having drivers that work someday with dual display, and then, if upgrading the CPU, will it surpass the iMAC, or, do I dump this all together go with an iMAC then wait for the towers to come out and see what builds we can do at that time.

Dilema Dilema Dilema...

Anyone else have an opinion?! Guidence? Direction?

thanks!

Very good point RedSox fan... Indeed we all have a financial balancing act and technology has been a confusing one especially for the normal Mac user. Most Mac users don't realize that Intel turns out a new chip or chipset every 3 or 4 months. So trying to have the latest and greatest is a loosing battle. I personally think that jumping on the 1st generation technology is an unwise financial move to anyone with shallow pockets.

My rule of thumb is, If it pays for itself within 8-12 months, then it's worth it. You can always find buyers and upgrade for less than the original price the next time around. This would be a good rule of thumb in the PC market since you have parts that can be swapped. Mac loyalists on the other hand would be very upset that they can not swap cards, instead have to buy a new unit if they need to upgrade. When you have deep pockets, anything is possible.

This bring me to this question. Is there an Apple product lease plan? Like cars can be leased and traded in yearly? It would be great since I always leased my cars and upgraded every year when I lived in the States.