[HOW TO] Printing to an unsupported Printer/Print Server via Windows, using LPD

3 posts in this topic

Printing is one of the the last caveats with OSX86. When I installed the Canon i560 Printer Drivers, I discovered that my D-Link DI-714P+ print server wouldn't work, and indeed, that the drivers themselves didn't really install correctly. Sharing a printer straight from my Windows machine didn't work either, as I didn't have the print server or printer drivers. What to do?

So I searched, and searched, and finally got wind of a solid, working method. It involves creating a new PostScript printer that emulates your real printer. So even if there are no drivers for you printer on OSX86, as long as you have working Windows drivers, it'll work. Also - I couldn't get Samba printing (default Windows method of print sharing) with OSX, even though it is supposed to be supported, so I had to install Unix Printing support on Windows (LPD).

This should work with Windows 2000 and XP. It could also work with Win9x. This is great - if you don't like to leave your computers on all the time, you could just dig up an old Win9x/2K box and dedicate it to print serving and BOINC calculations. On the Mac side, I've heard tell that this even works with OS 9, which makes sense.

Instead of writing a full guide, I'm just going to link to the one I used and offer a few modifications. No sense messing with a good thing.

HERE'S THE GUIDE

Problems with the above guide:

1. The links are outdated.

Ghostscript 8.53

GhostView 4.8

RedMon 1.7

2. I don't know if this was limited to me, or what, but the command line options for gsprint

-print "Printer Name here" -color -

didn't work for me. What I had to do was substitute this:

-port "Printer Port Here" -color -

I suspect this is because of the D-Link Print Server, so I guess that's a useful point.

3. Samba printing may work for you - just share the new Ghostscript printer on the Windows network.

4. If Samba DOESN'T work, then you have to install LDS support on Windows, which is step 4 in the guide. If your installation or CD doesn't work (my case), or if you're running Windows 95/98/ME, then download and install NIPrint. This is not free software, it's a 21-day-trial...but use you're imagination a bit...

a. When installing NIPrint, if you have 2000/XP, install it as a service.

b. Open NIPrint, then go to Configuration >> General Settings >> Main Properties Tab. Check Enable Local Print Server and Enable Remote Print Server. Optionally, you could change the various settings under the "Startup" tab; just make sure NIPrint opens with Windows.

c. After installing NIPrint, open it. Go to add your the Ghostscript printer to Local Print Configuration (I suggest that you call it GhostLPR - succinct and descriptive).

d. Also, go into Remote Print Configuration, and click Add Printer. Printer name should be the IP address of your computer. Under "Host IP" write 127.0.0.1. Remote user name should be the same as the name you use to log on to Windows.

e. I have not tried NIPrint on ANYTHING other than Win2K. In WinXP SP2, you probably have to mess with the firewall to get this to work; I refer you to that section in the original guide (Step 4a, scroll down).

5. The linked guide is obviously for Panther, not Tiger. It's the same idea though:

a. Open System Preferences, go to Print & Fax.

b. Click the '+' Button (under the printer list, which is now empty.

c. You should be under "IP Printer". Keep protocol the same. Address should be the address of the host computer where you have the printer installed. Queue should be the name of the printer. (If you're using the built-in Win2K/XP tools, then write the name of the LPR printer you created. If you're using NIPrint, then use the name of the local printer you entered in NIPrint. I recommended that you call this 'GhostLPR', but you might have used something else.

d. Under name, I just left it as the IP address, which is default, but try changing it and see what happens.

e. Under 'Print Using', select Apple. Under models that come up, select the first printer ("Apple Color Laserwriter")

f. Click 'Add' on the lower right of the dialog box.

g. In the next box, just click Continue. You could select 40MB upgrade, but I don't think it has any real effect.

h. You're done! Print a test file, if you'd like.

Enjoy folks. I dunno how much time I'll have to answer questions, and honestly, I'm none too knowledgeable about this stuff, just tried it all last night. I also dunno if Samba actually works and this was just a collosal waste of time. In any case, the first part of the guide (Ghostscript emulation) should prove a boon to those with older printers with Windows-only drivers.

Regards

-eli b.

Edited by bilditup1

I have a print server running up and easy:

Windows.

1. Add new printer

2. Local Printer

3. wait.

4. Choose, create a new port.

5. choose, Standard TCP/IP Port.

6. Next.

7. aother wizard pops up. click next

8. In Printer Name or IP Address, enter the IP of he print server.

9. Next

10. It will look frozen. Wait.

11. Next

12. Finish.

13. backto Add Printer Wizard

14. Choose your printer, or its nearest equivalent.Be sure to have installed the drivers BEFORE...

15.Next

16 Next, Next, Finish.

OSX

1. Go: HD:Applications:Utilities:Printer Setup Utility

2. Click Add in the window

3. If the IP shows upby way of Bonjour, remember the IP address.

4. go to Advanced and choose LPD - Line Printing DAemon.

5. Write the IP address in.

6. Give it a sensible name.

7. Click OK.

8. Configure printer options.