Can't install Darwin 8.0 from ISO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
I know I did this before. But for some reason I can't get it to install on this laptop.

Compaq NC6000 with PM-1.6, mobility 9600, 60GB 7200 RPM drive. Half the time I never even get the Darwin boot screen, and the rest of the time I let the install CD boot, but it just says waiting for root device part-way through the boot process and never boots the install CD.

Any ideas? OS X install boots (but can't boot after the install on this machine, just get a cursor).

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Laptops
So let me get this straight, you're trying to install Darwin, not OSX, right?

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Yeah in this case. :( I've just never had it refuse to even start. I just get that initial mac address 0.... part and then I get what I think is the end of the debugger (w.out the full kernel dump). The OS X comment was just some more info (as it has issues too).

Downloading the iso again just to make sure I didn't get a corrupt download at this point.

The NC6000 has a fairly standard Intell 855PM chipset for its IDE and stuff. I swear I had Darwin on it once before, but with a different hard drive (7200RPM @ 60GB now, was an old 4500RPM @ 40GB), so I hope it was just a corrupt ISO.

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
I hope it works out for you. I've never installed just Darwin, so I don't think I could help much. :(

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
I was just trying to setup the partitions using the Darwin installer and then format HFS+ there to try and fix my OSX not booting after install. :( Darwin isn't exactly super fun to use as a standalone OS...

EDIT: I must have had a corrupt ISO. I downloaded it again, and now the install works just fine. We'll see if formatting and doing all the partition setup in Darwin fixes my problem I guess.

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
How did it go for you?

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Well, Darwin works fine. :poster_oops: (not exceedingly useful)

Also, I was able to fix my boot problems this way. For some reason, setting up the partitions in linux and then formatting in OS X wasn't working. I set them up and formatted them in Darwin, and then just formatted again with OS X and now it all boots. :)

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
Grats. :dev:

nothingness

nothingness

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
@cyrana: Didn't work after setting up in linux? How very strange... I prep all my OSX stuff from linux (as my disk structure is fairly complicated) and never had any problems. But then again, haven't tried Darwin on this lappie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy