[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

BorisBadenov X1600/X1800 Full Support Solution

GUIDE VERSION: 0.3

Credit goes out to borisbadenov for getting the official Apple drivers to work with X1600 and X1800 cards.

For the latest info and discussion about this method, refer to the 'boris thread' here

Remember the golden rule: Your Mileage May Vary. User experience has shown:

- X1600 and X1800 cards have been known to work

- 10.4.4 and 10.4.6 can give artefacts - if you get these, try 10.4.5 (eg Myzar disc)

- DVI support varies. Some can only use VGA (analogue) signal.

- The 'perfect' card for 10.4.6 is the ASUS X1600XT Silent - Sleep, DVI etc working

- Some support of dual displays may be possible. However it is not possible right now.

- Cards on motherboards supporting SLI modes (ie two cards in parallel) may have issues with this solution.

Also note you need a 10.4.4, 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 installation, and an ATI X1600 or X1800-based card.

How to Apply the Patch:

1) (Optional) Remove all GeForce and ATIRadeon kexts from /System/Library/Extensions EXCEPT:

ATIRadeonX1000.kext

ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX10000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle

ATINDRV.kext

2) Open a terminal and type:

sudo -s (and enter your password)
cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/
emacs Info.plist

Find where it says:

<string>IONDRVDevice</string>

and modify it to read:

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

Now find where it says:

<string>ATY,Wormy</string>

and modify it to read:

<string>display</string>

Press and hold Ctrl key and press X then C to exit. Press 'y' to save the file before you exit.

3) Go to the Apple menu, select 'About this Mac' and click 'More Information' to bring up System Profiler. You need to locate the display adapter (graphics card) and find the Vendor ID and Product ID. Make a note of these.

4) Now go back to your Terminal session and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents
emacs Info.plist

Find the line containing 'IOPCIMatch' (ctrl-S to search in emacs). The next line needs to be modified to contain your Vendor and Product IDs. Take the vendor id and product ids and combine them. For example, lets say the vendor ID is 1002, and your device ID is 71c2. You combine them to a string 0x71c21002 (the 0x just means its a hex value).

The line immediately after the one containing IOPCIMatch should contain your newly-created string. For example:

<string>0x71c21002</string>

Ctrl-X-C to exit, pressing 'y' to save the file.

Now type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin/Contents/
emacs Info.plist

You should be able to find two lines which look something like this:

<key>100271c2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>
<string>100271c2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

You need to modify these to match your Product and Vendor IDs. NOTE that the string is constructed the 'other way round' this time - ie its vendor first then product. (ie 100271c2, not 71c21002).

When you have modified the file accordingly, Ctrl-X-C, then y to save.

5) Now time to clean up and get ready to boot.

Type:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions /

6) Reboot and cross your fingers / toes / hair / teeth. When it boots again, you should have the ability to change the screen resolution in System Preferences->Display. You should also have full Core Image, Quartz Extreme and OpenGL acceleration, and no mouse tearing artefacts.

NOTES:

* You may have to try each output of your card, or try thru a DVI-VGA adapter to get a display.

* You may experience artefacts or other corruption. 10.4.5 seems to work best.

* If you have an X1800 card, the 10.4.5 kexts/frameworks seem to be the only working versions.

* System Sleep may or may not work. If you get it to work fully, post your findings in the boris thread.

* To speed up boot times, remove AppleHWSensor.kext from your extensions folder.

GOOD LUCK! :hysterical:

FURTHER READING:

Boris' original post: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...st&p=114661

Boris restating the method: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...st&p=114957

A slightly techie overview of the patch, by SuperHai: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...st&p=126373

Thanks to Hanschien, Rammjet, SuperHai and of course Borisbadenov :(

Neo u have to remove ur ATINDRV and modify the 10.4.5 !!! only that version is supposed to work on every X1600/X1800

and add the OPENGL.framework in framework library then u'll be set :( else u'll mess up every 10.4.4 /.5 system!

OH! :(

I didn't know that (I don't have a X1600/X1800!!!)

Where can I find a ATINDRV from 10.4.5?

And what is with this OPENGL.framework? I don't see it in the tut.... :blink:

Thanks for the feedback!

k should be fixed now, let me know...else i'll dig up with Neo

btw JAS and Myzar should add this wonderfull pkg for the next DVD :blink: ehehe that will be like a f***ing real MAC DVD!!!

btw NEO if u can make the AppleHWSensor.kext appears in the package information but dont put the file in it, it will remove this kext during ur install and speed up ATINDRV...Can u do that?

Sry I must delete it again! It will be up in 5 mins!!!

Thanks to cyclonefr for helping with the bug! It is fixed now and available here :blink:

Edit: it is included in the package (moving the applehwsensor.kext to backup folder)

Edit2: It is available now! You can download it! have fun :smoke:

k little genious im waiting for reports :blink:

EDIT: so ur installer remove AppleHWSensor right? cause it should :smoke:

No it moves it to the backup-folder! If you do the uninstall it will move the file back! ;)

Neo, can you give a step by step to install this? Just so we gets it right the first time? Also, can we make this a sticky, munky?

Ahm.... just follow the installer! You have to download and double click the installer only! ^_^

Ahm and I'm going to write a script to uninstall the patch for single user mode, too! So if the install fails you can remove again without the gui!

Sure I will add it if thats what everyone thinks would be good.

Edit , I have all sets of kexts here and frameworks so let me know if you need anything for the installer

JAS it's ok i gave all the files needed, it will work on every config be sure of it. I checked

How do you add this to the installer, JaS?

Do you add the files only or do you add the installer? Because the install script must be there (finds devid and writes in the kext)!