Snow Leopard Vanilla Kernel on MSI Eclipse (X58 Chipset)

Bjorn248

11 posts in this topic

This took me a while to figure out (I started out trying lifehacker's guide to no avail) and I'm just posting this for anyone else with an MSI Eclipse motherboard.

Just to start, I'll list my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 940

Mobo: MSI Eclipse SLi (X58)

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

I've tried various installation methods, but this is the only one that has worked thus far. I downloaded and burned iPC 10.5.6 universal final, and from the iPC installer I partitioned the a separate hard drive into two partitions (one small 15GB for the iPC installation, and the rest for the snow leopard installation). The first problem was booting into the iPC installer. I had to use the following boot flags to boot successfully: cpus=1 busratio=22 -x32 -f -v. The busratio is dependent on your CPU. If you have the i7 920 I think the boot flag must be busratio=20. I am not sure about any other CPU. After iPC is installed, boot into it, and run the X58 Mobo Patch Installer (an amazing utility), which can be found here. Many thanks to digital dreamer for that little application :). Just make sure you have the retail snow leopard disk in your DVD Drive when you run the installer. Also, there is an issue with the SATA controllers on this specific motherboard. There are two (ICH10R and JMicron). I am using the JMicron controller for my mac HDD and the SATA DVD Drive because I have the other controller set to RAID in the BIOS. As far as JMicron configuration goes in the BIOS, I just left the controller off and everything works perfectly. Also, after running the mobo patch installer, you have to install the kexts again from the program (for some reason it doesn't do it properly the first time). So just run all the install steps (1-7) and then run step 5 again. I changed which kexts I am using (basically deleted dsmos and sleepenabler...then installed fakesmc) so that I could update to 10.6.2 (which works for me). I attatched the list of kexts I have in S/L/E just to show what is needed. Also, here is a link to my current Extra folder in my root directory (including a patched DSDT) Extra Folder. Currently, everything is working (sound, ethernet, graphics) 100%. I used VoodooHDA for my sound card, and I deleted the old RealtekR1000.kext (it didn't work) and installed the latest version, which worked. Also, only kext helper b7 seemed to properly install the kexts, which kext utility did not. I'm not sure exactly why, but that was my experience. Also, use the attached bootloader. The Chameleon bootloader that came with the installer (#1) did not work and I haven't tried the second one (PC_EFI) but that's the one I choose during install. Basically, the attached bootloader is the only one I have had any success with. Install it to the iPC partition and you should be fine :wacko:.

Sorry if I left anything out, and for the large chunk of text, but that's basically it.

Let me know if you want to see images/video of the OS, it's blazing fast =).

All_Kexts_in_SLE.txt

Chameleon_2.0___EFI10.zip

Any way you can show me exactly what you chose for the installation process?

I have pretty much the same setup except I have a 920.

I managed to get into the installation disc by using the cpus=1 busratio=20 -x32 -f -v.

when I select customize on the Install Summary window I don't know what to select.

Here is my set up.

CPU: Intel i7 920

RAM: 6 GB DDR3

Graphics: nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB GDDR3

Sound: Whatever the mobo came with (I think Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi)

• 2 months later...
This took me a while to figure out (I started out trying lifehacker's guide to no avail) and I'm just posting this for anyone else with an MSI Eclipse motherboard.

Just to start, I'll list my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 940

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

I've tried various installation methods, but this is the only one that has worked thus far. I downloaded and burned iPC 10.5.6 universal final, and from the iPC installer I partitioned the a separate hard drive into two partitions (one small 15GB for the iPC installation, and the rest for the snow leopard installation). The first problem was booting into the iPC installer. I had to use the following boot flags to boot successfully: cpus=1 busratio=22 -x32 -f -v. The busratio is dependent on your CPU. If you have the i7 920 I think the boot flag must be busratio=20. I am not sure about any other CPU. After iPC is installed, boot into it, and run the X58 Mobo Patch Installer (an amazing utility), which can be found here. Many thanks to digital dreamer for that little application ;) . Just make sure you have the retail snow leopard disk in your DVD Drive when you run the installer. Also, there is an issue with the SATA controllers on this specific motherboard. There are two (ICH10R and JMicron). I am using the JMicron controller for my mac HDD and the SATA DVD Drive because I have the other controller set to RAID in the BIOS. As far as JMicron configuration goes in the BIOS, I just left the controller off and everything works perfectly. Also, after running the mobo patch installer, you have to install the kexts again from the program (for some reason it doesn't do it properly the first time). So just run all the install steps (1-7) and then run step 5 again. I changed which kexts I am using (basically deleted dsmos and sleepenabler...then installed fakesmc) so that I could update to 10.6.2 (which works for me). I attatched the list of kexts I have in S/L/E just to show what is needed. Also, here is a link to my current Extra folder in my root directory (including a patched DSDT) Extra Folder. Currently, everything is working (sound, ethernet, graphics) 100%. I used VoodooHDA for my sound card, and I deleted the old RealtekR1000.kext (it didn't work) and installed the latest version, which worked. Also, only kext helper b7 seemed to properly install the kexts, which kext utility did not. I'm not sure exactly why, but that was my experience. Also, use the attached bootloader. The Chameleon bootloader that came with the installer (#1) did not work and I haven't tried the second one (PC_EFI) but that's the one I choose during install. Basically, the attached bootloader is the only one I have had any success with. Install it to the iPC partition and you should be fine :wacko: .

Sorry if I left anything out, and for the large chunk of text, but that's basically it.

Let me know if you want to see images/video of the OS, it's blazing fast =).

So your Computer Dual Boots withno having to Switch Raid ICH10R on and Off..?

Do you need a USB Disk to boot OSX

I tried this but it hasn't worked for me in the past..

I would love to get a Decent Dual boot..

Im running Raid 0 and Raid 1 on my ICH10R

but would love to do a Jmicron OSX Install

• 4 weeks later...
So your Computer Dual Boots withno having to Switch Raid ICH10R on and Off..?

Do you need a USB Disk to boot OSX

I tried this but it hasn't worked for me in the past..

I would love to get a Decent Dual boot..

Im running Raid 0 and Raid 1 on my ICH10R

but would love to do a Jmicron OSX Install

Yes that is correct. I keep ICH10R on, and I use my jmicron controller for the Snow Leopard hard drive. I do not need a USB Stick to boot. I boot with chameleon from my hdd that's connected to the jmicron controller.

• 1 month later...
Yes that is correct. I keep ICH10R on, and I use my jmicron controller for the Snow Leopard hard drive. I do not need a USB Stick to boot. I boot with chameleon from my hdd that's connected to the jmicron controller.

I'm confused. What I'm looking to do is Dual boot with Vista and OSX but have a Raid 0 that is not my boot device ( its just a backup Raid 0) that will work between vista and OSX.

People are saying using the Intel controller can't be done to do Raid in OSX. Also they say if i use the DiskUtility to do a soft Raid that it will render it useless in Vista.

Bjorn. Are you saying that your OSX setup recognizes the Raid setup as 1 drive and that you can use it and then in your other OS you can use the Raid as well without any issues?

What is the other OS your dual booting to?

I have an ICH9R and a JMICRON controller on my mobo.

• 2 months later...

What have you done for the sound to work?

(I use OS X 10.6.3)

Whatever I do, cant get it working :(

Its a shame given the fact that I have been waiting for "years" for the HD5870 driver, which is now available, and now when I have it... sound isnt working :D

• 4 months later...
What have you done for the sound to work?

(I use OS X 10.6.3)

Whatever I do, cant get it working :(

Its a shame given the fact that I have been waiting for "years" for the HD5870 driver, which is now available, and now when I have it... sound isnt working :(

VoodooHDA. I had to remove all other hda kexts.

• 1 month later...

bjorn

would you be able to.advise or screenshot all your bios settings and the.bios version ur board.is.on..

i still cant get past all the kernel panics even when.following ur guide step.by step:-)

when i swap my board for a.gigabyte ex58 ud5 i can have a vanilla install running almost immediately.. but the gigabyte board.doesnt seem to like my oc settings the msi board seems rocl solid stable