ANSWER: What to Do When Your Sound Doesn't Work...

lv2drft

1 post in this topic

Just thought this would help people like me who really just need sound and aren't quite skilled enough to get their sound card to work with the HDA or Azalia audio drivers. I've spent days and days trying different sound drivers, messing up my system, trying to fix it to no avail, and ultimately having to reinstall my various distros. Maybe I could have learned more and eventually figured it out, maybe my card's just incompatible or drivers haven't been made for it. Whatever your situation, if you want the "easy way out" and just want to get sound on your system so you can move forward using your Hackintosh, here's what worked for me:

Note I am currently using iDeneb 10.5.8 but I've heard elsewhere this will work for any distro.

I went on Amazon.com and searched for "USB Audio."

Eventually found something called a "PD551" (no name cheap USB audio device) for $2. After shipping it was around $4

There's tons of different types out there, but if you look around you can find one cheap.

Booted up.

Connected my speaker plug into the headphones jack of the device and plugged it into my USB port.

Within 10 seconds I had audio!! Its actually not as bad as others have said it is. Now that all depends on how picky you are, but if you're reading this, you probably just want something that works. It sounds perfectly fine to me, no distortion, MUCH better than telephone quality!

Hope this helps you that are searching for what to do and want the easy way out. Also hope this helps save InsanelyMac veteran's time trying to deal with newbies who don't want to do any work or learn anything complicated :-)