Dell Inspiron 1545 SL 10.6.7 Install Guide

wmarsh

68 posts in this topic

hey there!

first of all, thanks soo much..i thought i had to go back to linux after all the effort i put in to make snow leopard running on my dell studio 1557..it was a pain to boot in safe mode all the time..

i did what the op described, changed ATIRadeon2000 to have my device id (0x95531002) its an ati mobility radeon 4570, put the kext and ATI4500 into Extra/Extensions, rebooted with Graphicsenabler=y and it works...not so sure about QE though, dvd player says it cannot find a supported card, the resolution is limited to 1440x1050 (because of wide screen 1080p led screen) but at least it is booting up now and showing the graphics..i changed my dsdt.aml as well with dsddt patcher and setting Peregrine as the framebuffer, it is still showing only 256 mb for now..but still, thanks alot, great job, i am sure it will be resolved soon...

Hi

I'm new to this forum and i have also got a Studio 1557 with FullHD display and a {censored} ATI 4570 with same device id than you. I've installed Netkas PC EDI 10.6 and i'm also stuck at 1400x1050. I hope we will find a solution, these computers are cheap (but since one week shipped with other ATI cards (6450 IIRC) ) and powerful they would do a wonderful replacement for my MacBook Pro (i cannot buy one this year since i also want to buy a ipad 3g :-) ). Good luck to all, i will let you know if i succeed to have QE/CI and full resolution with my ATI 4570 512Mo.

Glad to not be the only one to want to have SL on a modern Dell :-)

I'm looking to pick up a dell laptop to put snow leopard on and do some photoshop and video in the field.

I'm new to OSX, is the 1535/45 a good laptop to get? If anyone that has one and is using it on snow lep PM me for some basic questions I'd much appreciate it.

thanks

I'm looking to pick up a dell laptop to put snow leopard on and do some photoshop and video in the field.

I'm new to OSX, is the 1535/45 a good laptop to get? If anyone that has one and is using it on snow lep PM me for some basic questions I'd much appreciate it.

thanks

Hi!

Although I think it is a great computer, really close to a macbook, there are still some problems with the ATI mobile radeon graphic cards that prevent the full ability to use these computer for graphic and video editing. (also I actually need to do...)

In fact a lot of software is unable to correctly load without QE/CI support. and however you miss all the graphic card advantages..

I bought this because of the wiki informations about the graphic card fully working, but I think that's a rare or unique case, and I still cannot perfectly understand why my 1545 cannot work with full graphic support.

All of us with Mobility radeon stuff hd4xxx are waiting for a solution tho the problem, and it seems that a new framework with LVDS support will solve the issue, but by now you can only install SL with almost full functionalities but full graphic support.

p.s. I believe a "Vostro" with nvidia graphics should be a better solution... take a look in these forums and at the wiki!!

Hi!

Although I think it is a great computer, really close to a macbook, there are still some problems with the ATI mobile radeon graphic cards that prevent the full ability to use these computer for graphic and video editing. (also I actually need to do...)

In fact a lot of software is unable to correctly load without QE/CI support. and however you miss all the graphic card advantages..

I bought this because of the wiki informations about the graphic card fully working, but I think that's a rare or unique case, and I still cannot perfectly understand why my 1545 cannot work with full graphic support.

All of us with Mobility radeon stuff hd4xxx are waiting for a solution tho the problem, and it seems that a new framework with LVDS support will solve the issue, but by now you can only install SL with almost full functionalities but full graphic support.

p.s. I believe a "Vostro" with nvidia graphics should be a better solution... take a look in these forums and at the wiki!!

Get the inspiron 1720 with the nvidia graphics.. thats what i did .. I have everything working except shutdown and restart and that really doesnt bother me..Everything else works

hey there!

first of all, thanks soo much..i thought i had to go back to linux after all the effort i put in to make snow leopard running on my dell studio 1557..it was a pain to boot in safe mode all the time..

i did what the op described, changed ATIRadeon2000 to have my device id (0x95531002) its an ati mobility radeon 4570, put the kext and ATI4500 into Extra/Extensions, rebooted with Graphicsenabler=y and it works...not so sure about QE though, dvd player says it cannot find a supported card, the resolution is limited to 1440x1050 (because of wide screen 1080p led screen) but at least it is booting up now and showing the graphics..i changed my dsdt.aml as well with dsddt patcher and setting Peregrine as the framebuffer, it is still showing only 256 mb for now..but still, thanks alot, great job, i am sure it will be resolved soon...

Well this is a very interesting post, and may give us some clue as to getting full functionality.

With no DTST, my system uses the Peregrine framebuffer:

bash-3.2# ioreg -l | grep Peregrine

| | | | "name" = <"ATY,PeregrineParent">

| | | | "device_type" = <"ATY,PeregrineParent">

| | | +-o ATY,Peregrine@0 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x100000253, regis$

| | | | | "compatible" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | | | "name" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | +-o ATY,Peregrine@1 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x100000254, regis$

| | | | "compatible" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | | "name" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

I have two thoughts on how to use this.

Someone with more ability than I can try modifying netkas' graphics enabler so we can try a different framebuffer.

There is a comment on netkas.org where someone modified netkas' source code for PC_EFI 10.6 to use Motmot instead of Peregrine.

Or we can try modifying the info.plist in ATIFrameBuffer.kext

Peregrine has these properties:

<key>Peregrine_Personality</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.kext.ATIFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ATIFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Peregrine</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPlatformDevice</string>

<key>aty_config</key>

<dict>

<key>CFG_DP_SSPC</key>

<integer>40</integer>

<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>

<true/>

<key>CFG_QUAL_DEF</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>CFG_QUAL_EN_DEF</key>

<true/>

<key>CFG_SHARP_DEF</key>

<integer>8</integer>

<key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>

<true/>

<key>project_id</key>

<integer>17</integer>

</dict>

<key>aty_properties</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>key</key>

<string>PP_GFXClockGatingEnabled</string>

<key>value</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

Motmot has these properties:

<key>Mot_Mot_Personality </key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Motmot</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>aty_config</key>

<dict>

<key>CFG_DIG_SSPC</key>

<integer>16</integer>

<key>CFG_DP_SSPC</key>

<integer>40</integer>

<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>

<false/>

<key>CFG_QUAL_DEF</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<true/>

<key>CFG_SHARP_DEF</key>

<integer>8</integer>

<key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>

<true/>

<key>project_id</key>

<integer>12</integer>

</dict>

<array>

<dict>

<key>key</key>

<key>value</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

Any thoughts anyone?

Well this is a very interesting post, and may give us some clue as to getting full functionality.

With no DTST, my system uses the Peregrine framebuffer:

bash-3.2# ioreg -l | grep Peregrine

| | | | "name" = <"ATY,PeregrineParent">

| | | | "device_type" = <"ATY,PeregrineParent">

| | | +-o ATY,Peregrine@0 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x100000253, regis$

| | | | | "compatible" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | | | "name" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | +-o ATY,Peregrine@1 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x100000254, regis$

| | | | "compatible" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

| | | | "name" = <"ATY,Peregrine">

I have two thoughts on how to use this.

Someone with more ability than I can try modifying netkas' graphics enabler so we can try a different framebuffer.

There is a comment on netkas.org where someone modified netkas' source code for PC_EFI 10.6 to use Motmot instead of Peregrine.

Or we can try modifying the info.plist in ATIFrameBuffer.kext

Peregrine has these properties:

<key>Peregrine_Personality</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Peregrine</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>aty_config</key>

<dict>

<key>CFG_DP_SSPC</key>

<integer>40</integer>

<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>

<true/>

<key>CFG_QUAL_DEF</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<true/>

<key>CFG_SHARP_DEF</key>

<integer>8</integer>

<key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>

<true/>

<key>project_id</key>

<integer>17</integer>

</dict>

<array>

<dict>

<key>key</key>

<key>value</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

Motmot has these properties:

<key>Mot_Mot_Personality </key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Motmot</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>aty_config</key>

<dict>

<key>CFG_DIG_SSPC</key>

<integer>16</integer>

<key>CFG_DP_SSPC</key>

<integer>40</integer>

<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>

<false/>

<key>CFG_QUAL_DEF</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<true/>

<key>CFG_SHARP_DEF</key>

<integer>8</integer>

<key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>

<true/>

<key>project_id</key>

<integer>12</integer>

</dict>

<array>

<dict>

<key>key</key>

<key>value</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

Any thoughts anyone?

I found some (maybe) useful info on how to change framebuffer...

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...p;mode=threaded

I cannot understand if it refers to the Boot plist...

do you think that the right framebuffer could help fitting the card's specs to fully work?

do you think that the right framebuffer could help fitting the card's specs to fully work?

I saw the same post; unfortunately it is old. Although it does have 10.6.3 info, so maybe its been edited.

I am interested in your output as mine above c0ke. Is yours loading Peregrine too?

And I am wondering, if we edit the info.plist, can we force a different framebuffer?

Someone has to try first, maybe I will do some experimenting this weekend.

I saw the same post; unfortunately it is old. Although it does have 10.6.3 info, so maybe its been edited.

I am interested in your output as mine above c0ke. Is yours loading Peregrine too?

And I am wondering, if we edit the info.plist, can we force a different framebuffer?

Someone has to try first, maybe I will do some experimenting this weekend.

Yess I'm loading Peregrine.

I'll try with iago or wormy and see what happens....

keep on experimenting and documenting

EDIT:

Hey, I've got all framebuffer types in info.plist

How could I do to select only one of them?

Yess I'm loading Peregrine.

I'll try with iago or wormy and see what happens....

keep on experimenting and documenting

EDIT:

Hey, I've got all framebuffer types in info.plist

How could I do to select only one of them?

I tried editing this info.plist; noticed no difference.

I also note that in about this Mac, ATIFrameBuffer.kext is not in the list of loaded kexts

So I tried deleting it -- no difference.

And I still have same resolution; can still play chess; use screensavers; & etc.

And PCI cards says I still have Peregrine

My conclusion is the whole problem is this kext does not load. Don't know why yet. Must have some unfulfilled dependency.

I tried editing this info.plist; noticed no difference.

I also note that in about this Mac, ATIFrameBuffer.kext is not in the list of loaded kexts

So I tried deleting it -- no difference.

And I still have same resolution; can still play chess; use screensavers; & etc.

And PCI cards says I still have Peregrine

My conclusion is the whole problem is this kext does not load. Don't know why yet. Must have some unfulfilled dependency.

I tried too:

in info.plist I changed Peregrine to Wormy and VV

nothing changed, after boot black backlighted screen

then I changed Peregrine to Iago and VV

this time I've got WHITE screen after boot

however I also don't have the framebuffer loaded in system profiler, anyway the change take effect....

edit

also: in the netkas sources I ve found in i386/libsaio/ati.c the device / framebuffer correspondances

but I don't know how to edit and recompile

I was looking at your link some more.

The person who posted it must have access to 10.6.3 to have posted the last part.

And my read of it is our dev id is in the 10.6.3 x2000.kext without our having to mod it.

Its hard to be patient, but maybe we just need to wait for 10.6.3. Should be soon...

I was looking at your link some more.

The person who posted it must have access to 10.6.3 to have posted the last part.

And my read of it is our dev id is in the 10.6.3 x2000.kext without our having to mod it.

Its hard to be patient, but maybe we just need to wait for 10.6.3. Should be soon...

from 10.5.7 also our card is listed... but you're right!

Let's wait and see what happens with the new upgrade, announced to be better managing the graphics...

just a curiosity: are your 4500support and x2000 kexts (placed only in extra/extensions) reported as correctly loaded in the extensions section of your system profiler, while you're running with qe/ci ?

just a curiosity: are your 4500support and x2000 kexts (placed only in extra/extensions) reported as correctly loaded in the extensions section of your system profiler, while you're running with qe/ci ?

No they don't, which is strange.

Yet if you load them from command prompt via kextload, it says they load (or are already loaded)

The whole thing is very strange. I think they are partially working, and I figure 10.6.3 -- which looks to be soon -- will fix our issues.

No they don't, which is strange.

Yet if you load them from command prompt via kextload, it says they load (or are already loaded)

The whole thing is very strange. I think they are partially working, and I figure 10.6.3 -- which looks to be soon -- will fix our issues.

Yep! However the fact you are running with Qe/CI, even if with no native resolution and ratio gives me hope!

I need full graphic support since I work in the visual field.. Even if I'm working partially fine with native resolution (thanks to the dong's stuff) many applications won't load without acceleration.

Let's hope next update will fix both issues...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi !

I would like to know, i don't find any information for Radeon HD4300 series on Leopard 10.5.7.. i would like to have native resolution (i've dell inspiron 1545 with all compenents ok).

Can i follow your tips ?

Hi !

I would like to know, i don't find any information for Radeon HD4300 series on Leopard 10.5.7.. i would like to have native resolution (i've dell inspiron 1545 with all compenents ok).

Can i follow your tips ?

No, the kext I use was introduced in 10.6.2

About to upgrade to 10.6.3 hoping for full resolution.

[EDIT] Bad news, 10.6.3 gives kernel panic in ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

Occurs with or without GraphicsEnabler turned on.

So much for better graphics support ....

On the other hand, I've decided I really like Windows 7.

[EDIT] You can work around the kernel panic by removing ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /S/L/E and rebuilding kext cache

Our device ID still needs to be added to ATI4500Controller.kext as in 1st post.

This should work as 9553 is already in that kext, and it uses the same video chip, but that change is not sufficient to fix the problem.

So far, we get no better graphics than 10.6.2, with or without graphics enabler.

• 7 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTrdbjyg0Q

Get your 1545 to 10.6.4 using whatever guide / method you can find. Don't worry about what's working and what isn't. Run Chameleon 2 of one version or another at some point. That just makes the drive bootable, (this can be done right after you install, you don't have to wait till you get it to 10.6.4). Then run my 1545 Place Kexter from provided link. And it will boot with sound and wi-fi and touchpad and keyboard and battery and USB 2.0 and 1366x768 resolution / no qe/ci. The shown 1545 in the youtube video is a single core Celeron running the mach kernel so it should work on all dual cores as well, let me know. You may be able to start off with this installer from any 10.6.x install, I'm not sure. This installer just puts all the right kexts in place for you to boot with working hardware. Thank me by buying this album: Atha - Escape Velocity - on iTunes. You'll love it.

If you want to boot the legacy kernel you can edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, replace mach with legacy or let me know and I'll change it in the installer and upload a new one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v94m969ylnau3gg

Please let me know if this works for you, I plan to use it often.

• 4 months later...