What will it take to get the 46xx cards to work with 10.6.2

BatcOuntrY

51 posts in this topic

I have an ATI 4670 and using netkas' betabooter and GraphicsEnabler set to yes in my Boot.plist I can get my machine to boot but all I get is a black screen. I can ssh and VNC into my machine so I know that it didn't KP.

Here is what lspci sees.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:9490]

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa38]

And here is an IOREG output.

ioreg.txt

The card even shows up in System Profiler. Is there anything that can be done to get this card working?

I have an ATI 4670 and using netkas' betabooter and GraphicsEnabler set to yes in my Boot.plist I can get my machine to boot but all I get is a black screen. I can ssh and VNC into my machine so I know that it didn't KP.

Here is what lspci sees.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:9490]

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa38]

And here is an IOREG output.

ioreg.txt

The card even shows up in System Profiler. Is there anything that can be done to get this card working?

I have the same problem, except that I have a 4650. I can VNC and it looks like the monitors are not detected or even plugged. Display Monitors: (blank), two instances of it.

Anyway, do you have updates on this? Could it be because of the HDMI ports like the Nvidia 94/9500GT guys are having?

I have the same problem, except that I have a 4650. I can VNC and it looks like the monitors are not detected or even plugged. Display Monitors: (blank), two instances of it.

Anyway, do you have updates on this? Could it be because of the HDMI ports like the Nvidia 94/9500GT guys are having?

No updates yet. I was honestly thinking with the new code it was going to be a no brainer. If I hear anything I will post it here immediately.

No updates yet. I was honestly thinking with the new code it was going to be a no brainer. If I hear anything I will post it here immediately.

me too .. I'll post asap. I'm just going to hold on to his a little bit more .. I still have 12 days to go for the 30-day return policy to expire. I really don't want to return it because it was very cheap (I got it with a good rebate deal).

I've got a Powercolor 4670 (1GB RAM, 2xDVI) model, and I wasn't sure whether it was worth putting SL back on (used to run it, but got fed up waiting for drivers for 4670).

What I don't know is if there is any point, as both my monitors are VGA, using 2x DVI-VGA convertors. I have read about people needing to plug an 'empty' convertor into their PC to make it work, but does anyone know if you can actually get a picture through a DVI-VGA adaptor.

Or, is there any external hardware device (preferably quite cheap) that pretends to be a standard DVI monitor to make SL work, but then gives the VGA monitor a converted signal so you get a picture?

Got the same problem here, really need vga output from 4670

Hey dude .. I'm just curious, is your DVI even working? If you can't try it because of your monitor only has VGA, it might be difficult because a lot of people, even with DVI to DVI connection, can't make the 4670 to even work. I think DVI problem should be fixed first before VGA problems.

Hey dude .. I'm just curious, is your DVI even working? If you can't try it because of your monitor only has VGA, it might be difficult because a lot of people, even with DVI to DVI connection, can't make the 4670 to even work. I think DVI problem should be fixed first before VGA problems.

I might be able to resurrect an old DVI monitor from a cupboard and give it a try at some point.

Just to get things straight, to install the netkas drivers, I take it I need to

-replace the file boot in / with the new one (beta booter or whatever its called)

-add the kexts to the /Extra/Extensions directory (or /System/Library/Extensions)

-check my dev id is in the kext (should be for 4670)

-reboot and pray

Unfortunately I removed my osx86 partition a while ago, so I might try and get a vanilla 10.6.2 going again (still got all the things I need, and I think I can remember how to do a boot-132 install).

On another note, I take it everyone who has tried this unsuccessfully has updated to 10.6.2 and also installed the betabooter file. If not, that could be the problem, but I doubt so many people would miss it out. Just that on netkas' site I'm sure some people had it working on 4670.

I might be able to resurrect an old DVI monitor from a cupboard and give it a try at some point.

Just to get things straight, to install the netkas drivers, I take it I need to

-replace the file boot in / with the new one (beta booter or whatever its called)

-add the kexts to the /Extra/Extensions directory (or /System/Library/Extensions)

-check my dev id is in the kext (should be for 4670)

-reboot and pray

Unfortunately I removed my osx86 partition a while ago, so I might try and get a vanilla 10.6.2 going again (still got all the things I need, and I think I can remember how to do a boot-132 install).

On another note, I take it everyone who has tried this unsuccessfully has updated to 10.6.2 and also installed the betabooter file. If not, that could be the problem, but I doubt so many people would miss it out. Just that on netkas' site I'm sure some people had it working on 4670.

I think they did it right. It was very clear on the netkas blog. I also know some gurus that are having the black screen problems. I don't think they made something wrong as the steps were fairly simple.

In my case, even before 10.6.2 - I was already trying it with the BETA 10.6.2 kext and beta bootloader (at that time), still all are no go.

When 10.6.2 came out, of course, I used the vanilla kext that came from 10.6.2 final. Added IDs as instructed, placed boot to / - made sure that boot.plist had GraphicsEnabler to y. Made a fresh install - played with the kext. All no go.

I know this is irrelevant or probably illogical but would an EFI String be better instead of the GraphicsEnabler=y? I don't know how to extract an EFI string manually since 46xx is not listed in EFI Studio.

I think they did it right. It was very clear on the netkas blog. I also know some gurus that are having the black screen problems. I don't think they made something wrong as the steps were fairly simple.

In my case, even before 10.6.2 - I was already trying it with the BETA 10.6.2 kext and beta bootloader (at that time), still all are no go.

When 10.6.2 came out, of course, I used the vanilla kext that came from 10.6.2 final. Added IDs as instructed, placed boot to / - made sure that boot.plist had GraphicsEnabler to y. Made a fresh install - played with the kext. All no go.

I know this is irrelevant or probably illogical but would an EFI String be better instead of the GraphicsEnabler=y? I don't know how to extract an EFI string manually since 46xx is not listed in EFI Studio.

Yeah, fair point if the gurus are having the trouble too.

I will try (if time permits) to get my SL partition set up again (digging out the boot-132 disc right now)

Hope we can get this sorted, as I would really like to have a working 4670 on any OSX, but every time there is a revalation, there always seems to be a 'gotcha'

Well, Im having a different problem (I can only boot in safe mode: -x -v -x32):

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:24:1d:87:86:85

systemShutdown false

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector13getActiveDpcdEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector16getConnectedDpcdEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector16getInfoStructureEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector19getConnectionNumberE16ConnectionNumber

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector21initializeConnectionsEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN12ATIConnector22populateGoldenSettingsEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13ATIController10isHeadlessEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13ATIController16getCrtcParamsForEh

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13ATIController17numActiveDisplaysEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13ATIController20numConnectedDisplaysEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13ATIController21getActiveConnectorForEh

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13AtomBiosProxy15getDigEncoderIdEm

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13AtomBiosProxy19getDigTransmitterIdEm

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13AtomBiosProxy24uniphyTransmitterControlEthhh

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13AtomBiosProxy32getDigEncoderConfigTransmitterIdEm

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN13IOFBInterrupt8occurredEv

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN15AuxChannelProxy10detectLoadEPK13ConnectorInfoP8DpcdInfo

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN17APowerPlayManager14setThermalModeE23POWER_PLAY_THERMAL_MODEb

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN20DisplayPortUtilities14setDeviceStateEmb

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN20DisplayPortUtilities4initEP18ConnectionServicesPK13ConnectorInfoh

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZN20DisplayPortUtilities7setCrtcEh

kxld[com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller]: __ZNK8DpcdInfo12headerEqualsEPKS_

Can't load kext com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller - link failed.

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller.

Kext com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller failed to load (0xdc008016).

Failed to load kext com.apple.kext.ATI4600Controller (error 0xdc008016).

FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

DSMOS has arrived

Anyone knows why this error happens?

And, related to devid, by looking at this from netkas website: "4670 doesnt need adding devid to kexts."

So, theres no need for that, right?

Yes, 4670 does not require putting the dev id. But it wouldn't hurt to double check if your dev-id is inside the info.plist of both ATIRadeon2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext. You also have to make sure that ATISupport.kext and ATIFramabuffer.kext are loaded (I'm not sure if they are the exact names, but you can just check). When I was messing up with the kext, I saw that error - I just reinstalled everything. It would be best to extract all ATI kexts from 10.6.2 using pacifist and just reinstall it. Make sure you have beta boot in / and GraphicsEnabler is in y in boot.plist. Lastly, you have to make sure that permissions are correct and rebuild mkext << very very important.

Goodluck.

Thanks. I think theres a possibility that I changed all ATI* kexts that were there after my 10.6.2 upgrade for the ones that came in my original SL DVD (probably 10.6.0): i.e. ATIRadenX2000.kext

Would you (or someone) send me all the ATI* original kexts from 10.6.2?

Best Regards

*PS* Not only the ones that I can take from netkas, all of them: ATIRadeonX2000 and etc...

Dunno if DVI works but i tried HDMI with my television and it works

Yeah in order to get DVI working on my 4670 I have to have something plugged into the HDMI port; also HDMI alone works as well. I think the new drivers are set to default to HDMI as its probably the interconnect that is used in the iMacs from the graphics card on the main board to the monitor.

Hi Guys!

I also have ATI HD4670 and also faced with black-screen problem.

It's amazing problem! Because I connect to target computer (with 4670) by AppleRemote and watched a wonderful things: SL detected my monitor (I checked this! When I unplug cable - name of my monitor was disappear), but didn't plug!!!

Also in System Preference -> Monitor I can select different resolutions! How I understand it's sign that SL fully detect and run driver.

And few minutes ago IMHO I found a solution! Now SL run on my computer and Monitor show a Desktop!

1. I restore in S/L/E original ATI kext

2. I copy ATI4600.kext from netkas to /Extra/Extensions

3. I copy boot from netkas and add GraphicsEnabler to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

It's all! For my board this configuration work!

Good luck for all!

P.S. I can upload to rapidshare all my used kext, if is't needed.

P.P.S My 4670 from Palit and has a DVI, VGA, HDMI and DP. When I made this topic - monitor was connected by HDMI->DVI-D adapter. When I plug monitor to DVI output, I received a black screen.

OK!

That was easy.

I've got Saphire 4670 512MB with two DVI outputs. Card and Vendor ID's 0x9490 0x1002

Hooked up my monitor to lower connector through DVI2VGA and HDTV to upper using DVI2HDMI

Booted 10.6.2 using only netkas bootloader and PC EFI 10.5. All ATI kexts are original in S/L/E

My monitor went blank but TV screen stayed on. A lot of resolutions to choose from 480i 1080i 1080p

640x480 1280x1024 + stretched

QE/CI working.

System profiler shows only TV connected.

Turned computer off and tried the same thing again moving TV to lower and monitor to upper connector. Both went blank at boot time.