Video Encoder that use OpenCL

dadi_oh

9 posts in this topic

I am in the process of converting my whole DVD library into MP4's so that I can stream them to the PS3 on our home entertainment system. I am loving the app Handbrake for it's ease of use and ability to queue up a bunch of jobs and run over night. However, I don't believe it uses OpenCL to take advantage of the video card power to speed things up a bit.

On my PC I use Badaboom which uses my Nvidia GTX260 to encode and it is very very fast but it does not support queuing (bleh) so I can't set things up for overnight runs.

Any suggestions?

agreed with the above... CUDA, which has a whole host of OpenCL stuff, Badaboom as an example, is still primitive, because developers have no real need to port their programs over, and then, why would they, it causes incompatabilities...

As a hint, i set up a macro/scripty in winXp that goes opens a new file in bada, presses convert, waits 25m to be sure, most of mine take 10m, then does it again

agreed with the above... CUDA, which has a whole host of OpenCL stuff, Badaboom as an example, is still primitive, because developers have no real need to port their programs over, and then, why would they, it causes incompatabilities...

As a hint, i set up a macro/scripty in winXp that goes opens a new file in bada, presses convert, waits 25m to be sure, most of mine take 10m, then does it again

Thanks. I thought about a script but decided it was just easier to boot into Snow Leopard and use the queuing features of Handbrake. I am encoding my movies at 480p and on my GTX260 most movies were taking about 30-35 minutes. Using Handbrake on my quadcore Q9550 @ 3.8GHz takes about 50-60 minutes but at least I can leave it running overnight.

I guess openCL makes for good marketing charts but it may take years before it is mainstream.

I looked into this awhile back, I remember reading that OpenCL was not good for video encoding.

CUDA would be the way to go, however, Nvidia has not released the API for CUDA Video Encoding for anything but Windows, go figure.

FFMPEG developers have stated, over and over, that they will not include support for CUDA's Video API, or any other Closed Source API.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked into this awhile back, I remember reading that OpenCL was not good for video encoding.

CUDA would be the way to go, however, Nvidia has not released the API for CUDA Video Encoding for anything but Windows, go figure.

FFMPEG developers have stated, over and over, that they will not include support for CUDA's Video API, or any other Closed Source API.

Rubbish OpemCL / GrandCentral is great for Video encoding.

Might want to look into MovieGate it is currently the only OpenCL Encoding app I know off.

• 1 year later...