Full solution for Zotac IONITX Atom 330 for 10.6.x SL

458 posts in this topic

I just said it, because I NEVER had enabled "Wake for Ethernet network access" and got CMOS-Errors anyway from time to time. And it even distroys some important system-functions like USB completly. And in that case, system recovery was the best and only way for me to get my system "back to life" again. So I did'nt wanted to disappoint you first, but I'm rather sceptical because of your explanations, sorry.

Reading what you say seems you have no idea what you talk about or you have a board ready for RMA...

Reading what you say seems you have no idea what you talk about or you have a board ready for RMA...

Even this is not my language, I know pretty well what about I'm talking. But I must confess sometimes I'm not knowing what you are talking about. What does "RMA" means ?

THe KiNG - Hi - perhaps you might share your considerable expertise & help hlakustiker improve his dsdt [he edited it himself].

hlakustiker - Hi - RMA = Return Merchandise Authorisation = return your motherboard to where you bought it; because it appears [to THe KiNG] to be faulty.

Even this is not my language, I know pretty well what about I'm talking. But I must confess sometimes I'm not knowing what you are talking about. What does "RMA" means ?

English is not my native "tongue" too so maybe that's why you don't understand what I'm saying...even I tried to do my best explaining...

My reply was focused on my specific CMOS reset issue, not on yours (if you have other bugs that cause it), for me was fixed as I described earlier and I tough would be nice to share the fix to other users(in case that they will check that option and get same bug as me).

I redid the DSDT from scratch using as base apple Macmini3,1 one and my board specific registers and stuff, so you may experience other symptoms using stock one( I never use it) for me CMOS reset is gone and I do test sleep a lot trying to see if is gone for good or not, so far no more CMOS reset and machine goes to sleep in like 3-4 seconds...

THe KiNG - Hi - perhaps you might share your considerable expertise & help hlakustiker improve his dsdt [he edited it himself].

Sorry but I don't have time now to explain more, I prefer to spend it and finish this board(and get my sleep back, since it really pissed me off)

Once is done in a acceptable way(at least USB fixed) I will post the files and explain what I did so users will understand(I hope), like I did with my previous atom board.

Hi guys, For those of you with IONITX A-E boards, here’s a complete package with all my modifications. I hope some of you find it useful. UPDATE: V2 is out.

Thank you very much!

I got ZOTAC IONITX A-B (retail for HongKong) this week, and successful install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 by following your guide.

Everything works fine!

But the Start up and shutdown speed very slow. Start up need takes more than 90 circle on white apple logo.

I have another MCP79 chipset mobo with Core 2 Duo E6550, it takes less than 20 circle only.

My configuration:

ZONTAC IONITX A-B

2GB Mem, VRAM set to 256MB (I modified your dsdt to fit my one)

WD3200BEVT attached to SATA 1 port (2.5 inch 5400RMP disk)

Amazing work people!!

I have a similar Asus AT3N7A-I board that I've been struggling to get to work previously, with the new files you provided (v2) almost everything worked out of the box .. only had to install the Realtek R1000SL kext manually to get the ethernet to wake up. Before these files and guides I wasn't able to get the graphics working properly, and most of the USB ports were disabled too ;)

One problem I have noticed is that playback using QT is pretty bad, mp4s dont play at all and avis freeze a lot but I'm happy enough as it'll be mainly used as a file server anyway.

Cheers!

Monty

Thank you very much!

I got ZOTAC IONITX A-B (retail for HongKong) this week, and successful install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 by following your guide.

Everything works fine!

But the Start up and shutdown speed very slow. Start up need takes more than 90 circle on white apple logo.

I have another MCP79 chipset mobo with Core 2 Duo E6550, it takes less than 20 circle only.

My configuration:

ZONTAC IONITX A-B

2GB Mem, VRAM set to 256MB (I modified your dsdt to fit my one)

WD3200BEVT attached to SATA 1 port (2.5 inch 5400RMP disk)

I have the same issue with my Asus AT3N7A-I board .. but it works fine once it's started.

Thx,

Monty

Hello all

I plug my SATA HDD 2.5 on my iMac with a Sata to USB adapter.

Installing with the command: open / Volumes / Mac \ OS \ X \ Install \

DVD / System / Installation / Packages / OSInstall.mpkg

Installation complete but I can not install MacOSXUpd10.6.2.dmg

mini_599910Capture_d_ecran_2010_05_30_a_09.49.59.png

Help me please.

Hello all

I plug my SATA HDD 2.5 on my iMac with a Sata to USB adapter.

Installing with the command: open / Volumes / Mac \ OS \ X \ Install \

DVD / System / Installation / Packages / OSInstall.mpkg

Installation complete but I can not install MacOSXUpd10.6.2.dmg

mini_599910Capture_d_ecran_2010_05_30_a_09.49.59.png

Help me please.

. . the target drive for the 10.6.2 update [in your image] is not the SATA/USB drive you describe as having installed SL to.

Is this the full 10.6.2 combo update?

. . the target drive for the 10.6.2 update [in your image] is not the SATA/USB drive you describe as having installed SL to.

Is this the full 10.6.2 combo update?

Thank you

Since I know how to install.

When I install a 10.6, I get Sound but no WiFi and if I pass in 10.6.2 I

no sound but the WiFi works.

I use the files from the first page

ionitx_boot.zip (317.36K)

ionitx_boot_v2.zip (317.45K)

Do you have an idea for the sound or the wifi if I want to stay on 10.6?

Thank you very much.

Any of you running 10.6.3 on ION (not ION LE) get h.264 hardware acceleration support work? Under flash 10.1? XBMC? I cannot get it work on ION LE, so wondering if upgrade to ION is a solution.

Thanks

Noodle

Any of you running 10.6.3 on ION (not ION LE) get h.264 hardware acceleration support work? Under flash 10.1? XBMC? I cannot get it work on ION LE, so wondering if upgrade to ION is a solution.

Flash on OSX is not optimal. I tried the Flash 'Gala' release and it slowed Firefox down to make it completely unusable. Nothing was hardware accelerated. Even the 10.0 release version of Flash is very slow.

However, the final 10.1 release of Flash may work, and is supposed to provide full hardware acceleration for the Nvidia 9400M in the Ion 330 that the higher end Ionitx has.

On a side note, I haven't been able get any sound in any Quicktime enabled programs. This includes Flash. Sound works fine in MPlayer Extended. I think it has to do with the fact that sound is routed to "internal speakers" on the Ionitx. This is configurable in MPlayer Extended, but Snow Leopard removed all preferences for Quicktime. I've tried the Audio MIDI Setup fix, but it doesn't work.

Has anyone else gotten Flash to work?

Thanks for the reply. How about XBMC? XBMC should be able to use hardware accelerated. Anybody tried latest XBMC for Mac on IONitx? I'm getting some error on ION LITE. wondering if ION (9400M) works.

Thanks

. . . to get proper h/w acceleration suggest you run XBMC in Ubuntu.

There's supposed to be h/w acceleration for mpeg4 [only] in QuicktimeX.

THANK YOU!

This is by far the greatest hackintosh I have ever built. I say so because I was looking for a solution (replacement for my Media Center PC) and the Zotac IONITX-F-E was the perfect and greatest solution that I have found so far after long Google search nights and study.

Running a Shuttle K45 hackintosh won't cut it. I couldn't get that machine to play my Blu-Ray rips at a decent resolution (1920 x 1080) because of the old GMA950 so it was not an option to have it hook up into my TV. The other issue was the VGA output. I needed DVI or HDMI. Anyway, I decided to test this IONITX-F-E out and not expecting any less everything worked right out of the box for me!!!!

I can play 3 Bbrips at the same time without lags, I can put the machine to Sleep, Wireless works as expected. I can finally authenticate to my Radius server (WPA2-Enterprise) and the list goes on and on...

For references I'm going to take the time to explain everything I did, hardware specs and where to buy it.

Good luck everyone!

post-64173-1267066902_thumb.jpg post-64173-1267066919_thumb.jpg post-64173-1267066930_thumb.jpg post-64173-1267066946_thumb.jpg

There is no way you could go wrong with this build as a media center hackintosh. Have fun!

Hardware All from NewEgg:

Motherboard: ZOTAC IONITX-F-E

Memory RAM: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR2 800

Case: Rosewill RC-CIX-01 WI

Hard Drive: WD Green 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

DVD Drive

Total Price: $384.94

Installation

I used an external enclosure (USB) to install Snow Leopard in the Hard Drive purchased from Newegg. NOTE: You need a Mac to do this or another machine running Snow Leopard.

Install OS X Snow Leopard from a retail DVD.

Boot into your new installation and upgrade to 10.6.2

Replace Kernel with the patched one for your Atom in / (root)

Install Chameleon 2.0-RC2-r640 (Yeah I used it myself and it is good

Replace boot in / (root)

Replace everything in the /Extra folder with the files (VERSION 2) from the first post in this topic.

post-64173-1267068585_thumb.png

post-64173-1267068646_thumb.png

Now move the hard drive into your hackintosh, boot up and have fun!

I was able to overclock the Atom 330 to 1.9GHz stable. Bumping up the FSB to 667MHz will leave the machine very unstable. Maybe playing with voltage a bit more with some time will actually allow me to hit the 2GHz... I do have the fan that came with the motherboard installed on top of the CPU and Chipset heatsink. The build is so quiet that you can't hear it running with your ear next to the box (even when the case has no cover!) That's how quiet it is!

This is what it looks like... It is so nice with the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse! You need a USB bluetooth dongle to be able to use the Magic Mouse and the wireless Keyboard.

post-64173-1267071053_thumb.jpg

And this is a QuickTime recording of the machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Em82aiclI

Thanks for the guide. I followed it to the letter and now have an awesome HTPC. I'm running XBMC and PS3 Media Server. Everything works including sleep. I am running 64 bit kernel. I have overclocked mine to 2.01Ghz by just increasing the FSB to 667. So far it's been stable. (I installed the heatsink fan!) After an upgrade from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 my audio stoppped working. Installing the AppleHDA.kext from the 10.6.2 distro with B7 Kext helper fixed my problem. I am using optical digital out to my sound receiver as most of my media is DVD to ISO rips and I wanted surround sound. I did have an annoying video stutter problem but I found out that because my ESata drive is formatted NTFS OSX only had read only access and it was very slow. Installing macfuse 2.1.7 (Custom build for 10.6.3) and NTFS-3g fixed this problem.

http://caurea.org/2009/09/15/unofficial-ma...-64bit-kernels/

I get a horrible XBench score of 44 but seeing as how this plays my movies perfect and I can surf the web and what not... Who cares!.

Thanks again!

Hi,

First, sorry for my english.

Thank you for this. It is great :angry2:

I have zotac ionitx-f-e , running 8.6.3 .

It seems that hardware acceleration of h264 is not working cause cpu is running over 100 % :angry2:

Do somebody please know what can be problem ? Im playing with VLC, and tryed also xbmc.

QuickTime Player problem was between chair and monitor :wacko: . I did not look at top to changing menu to quicktime menu... It takes a while to fit with Mac OS, but i am really starting to like it very much.

I installed perian, but it seems that hw accel does not work in QT also :/

I do not understand it, i just have repeated all steps like Yoni Yoni descripbed in his post, but ...

Thanks

Jano

What has system backup to do with CMOS reset if "Wake for Ethernet network access" in system preferences/ energy saver is set no idea...

And I don't need a backup for a test system since I can install a fresh one in like 15 min on my other computers...

Now back to subject/bug:

When that option is set:

wryypylhvrfxlscs5z4.png

And it explain this:

WOW=Wake on Wireless

And this:

So IMHO when computer is put on sleep with Wake on Demand selected something is write on NVRAM(and explain why it takes longer to sleep), seems BIOS dosen't like this(still looking to find why) and interpret it as a wrong CMOS checksum and reset it...

With wake on demand disabled, sleep is instant and all fine...

Some reading about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...6&tstart=75

Refering to the side from MyDellmini.com even I finally found a solution for my special CMOS-Reset-Error after using sleep/wake up-function. Since I typed "sudo pmset hibernatemode 3" in terminal, I never got a CMOS-Reset-Error furthermore.

My Cmos-Reset-Error-Solution

Stepp 3, putting Legacy USB Support in BIOS disabled was not necessary.

From now on waking up my computer from sleep is mostly working by short pushing the power button. But as I mentioned, without any CMOS-Reset-Errors with next restarting or after next shutdown.

Update to 10.6.4

post-609029-1276695234_thumb.png

.....almost without issues.

And this is all you need....:

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo

MacOSX10.6.3kernel10.3.0_atom32_64.zip this ist the pached 10.3.0 Atom 64 bit kernel from Dreamwatcher

AppleHDA.kext.zip modified from shoarting with kexthelper into S/L/E

Two Partitions with Mac OS X on your computer to install from one partition to the other.

Good luck !

Update to 10.6.4

post-609029-1276695234_thumb.png

.....almost without issues.

And this is all you need....:

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo

MacOSX10.6.3kernel10.3.0_atom32_64.zip this ist the pached 10.3.0 Atom 64 bit kernel from Dreamwatcher

AppleHDA.kext.zip modified from shoarting with kexthelper into S/L/E

Good luck !

Hallo,

that is nice to hear.

Since I´m running the "10.6.2 V2" edition of the thread-opener at the moment: Do I really need only your additional packages for an upgrade? In your picture there is "Kext Helper" application shown. Do I also need this for upgrading?

The AppleHDA replaces the original modded kext, or do I need both?

Thank you,

Florian

Hallo,

that is nice to hear.

Since I´m running the "10.6.2 V2" edition of the thread-opener at the moment: Do I really need only your additional packages for an upgrade? In your picture there is "Kext Helper" application shown. Do I also need this for upgrading?

The AppleHDA replaces the original modded kext, or do I need both?

Thank you,

Florian

Florian ?

Sprichst Du vielleicht zufällig auch Deutsch ?

Florian ?

Sprichst Du vielleicht zufällig auch Deutsch ?

YES ;-)

Kann man die V2-Lösung des Thread-Erstellers einfach mit deine Dateien erweitern?

Oder gibts es da einige Zwischenschritte, oder Sachen die es zu beachten gilt?

Gute Nacht.

Florian

YES ;-)

Kann man die V2-Lösung des Thread-Erstellers einfach mit deine Dateien erweitern?

Oder gibts es da einige Zwischenschritte, oder Sachen die es zu beachten gilt?

Gute Nacht.

Florian

Guten Morgen Florian,

also irgendwie verstehe ich den Sinn Deiner Frage nicht so ganz?

Normalerweise läuft auf Deinem Computer doch schon 10.6.3 und zwar durch und mit dem Extra Ordner von Eugene ?! Und nun willst Du auf das neue 10.6.4 updaten.

Also ich habe immer zwei Versionen von Mac OS X auf meinem Computer zu laufen auf unterschiedlichen Festplatten.

Dadurch habe ich auch immer gleich eine Sicherheitskopie, falls mal irgendetwas schief gehen sollte. Empfehle ich Dir also auch. Sagen wir die eine Partition lautet "Apple", nennen wir die Andere "Snow". Also boote ich in "Snow" und führe als Erstes das Combo Update aus. Als Installationsort wähle ich die "Apple"-Partition.

post-609029-1276743043_thumb.png

Als nächstes brauchst Du dann dieses Tool OSx86Tools.zip

post-609029-1276743446_thumb.png

Damit speicherst Du den gepachten 10.3.0 32_64bit-Kernel ebenfalls auf die "Apple"-Partition.

Das war's schon. Jetzt kannst Du schon in die "Apple"-Partition rebooten und bist schon auf 10.6.4.

Nur Dein Sound wird nicht mehr funktionieren. Also öffnest Du nun das Programm KextHelper b7 ,

post-609029-1276745432_thumb.jpg

holst Dir zunächst den AppleHDA.kext auf Deinen Desktop, ziehst ihn dann von Deinem Desktop in den Kexthelper und installierst diesen Kext neu in System/Library/Extensions. Nun noch einmal rebooten und Voila, das war's.

Das ist so der einfachste und sicherste Weg.

For all the English spoken people......:

I just explained to Florian, that I always have two partitions on my Computer. And in case of upgrading I'm using to install from one Partition to the other. I guess the pictures I've made are self explaining ?!

Schöne Grüße

Jens