Aperture under VMWare Workstation?

DanMcQ

9 posts in this topic

Running Snow Leopard using VMWare Workstation 7. Can't start Apple Aperture, get the message "Graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements". Using VMWare's 3d acceleration but it is not sufficient. Is there any way to bypass the minimum requirement check? Or is there a way to set the graphics card of the virtual machine to the nvidia 8600M GT that I actually have in my machine?

UPDATE:

I was able to get Aperture running. Using a hexeditor, I went through and replaced every instance of performRequirementsCheck with performLicenseCheck (filling in the remaining space with 0's). Aperture now starts up without performing the minimum GPU requirements check and I am able to fully utilize the application.

I'd like to get Aperture running... Can you explain in a little more detail how you did it?

What did you open in the hex editor? the .app, or the MACOS binary inside the .app?

open up /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture

change change all instances of performRequirementsCheck to performLicenceCheck and then add five hex 0x00 after the new performLicenseCheck instances to make make the strings equal length.

It runs well on my machine (C2D T9600 2.6 w/ nvidia 8600M GT) , albeit significantly slower than say Lightroom running natively on Win 7.

• 1 year later...
open up /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture

change change all instances of performRequirementsCheck to performLicenceCheck and then add five hex 0x00 after the new performLicenseCheck instances to make make the strings equal length.

It runs well on my machine (C2D T9600 2.6 w/ nvidia 8600M GT) , albeit significantly slower than say Lightroom running natively on Win 7.

Enter Time Machine and 2 years later...

Using 0xED I have tried replacing performRequirementsCheck to performLicenceCheck00000 (2 instances) but I still get dreaded "The installed graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements for Aperture" message.

Dang! Dang! Dang!

The most annoying part is that the program loads - you can browse the menus and all, but after it is just hanging there with only option to "quit" the program.

Any help would be super appreciated.

I have been trying to patch Aperture 3.1.2, I am running vmware worstation 7.1.3 under Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Update: I found out about VMSVGA2 plugin - now Aperture passes videocard test and boots. Great progress! Now all I need is to make eSata HFS+ formated drive to mount in VMware. But that seems almost trivial after the QE battle.

Thank you for such a great plugin

Update #2: I discovered that although Aperture 3 loads, it would not display the images. The preview icons get loaded, but the final image is not being displayed. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...
Update #2: I discovered that although Aperture 3 loads, it would not display the images. The preview icons get loaded, but the final image is not being displayed. Any ideas?

I experience the same issue. Have you found a solution already and if so, would you please share it ?

Regards,

Arthur

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...