Running linux on a mac

14 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone had tried to install linux on there mac. When I say that I don't mean using Bootcamp, but booting off the linux disc and allowing the linux distro to install it's dualboot software. I guess though if you can use bootcamp to install linux that's cool too...I just tend to trust linux dualboot solutions more since they've been doing it for a long time. : ) Anyways, I'm thinking about tri-booting between OSX, Ubuntu and Windows.

P.S. Anyone have good things to say about the Parallels software?

Really. Why spend $1500 on an imac when you can buy the same hardware to run linux the same way for $500?

I mean, I understand why someone might want to by a mac instead of a hackintosh... but for linux? what's the point?

It's for triple booting. So like, you can do your Windowsey, Linuxey, and Macintoshish stuff all on a different computer. Why question it? Windows should be obvious, but there are things you can only do with Linux or FreeBSD sometimes (like test out Xgl as a primary graphical system, or run proprietary software that has been released for Linux but not OSX).

To answer the OP, http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

You cant do your Unixey stuff on a mac?

there's proprietary software designed for Linux? and not for Windows or Mac OS? talk about a loser business model, lol.

It exists. Expensive {censored}, too. And if you're using an Intel Mac, and they don't have it for Intel, well tough beans, you gotta wait or use Linux. Sometimes it happens because your school/whatever will have the licenses for Windows and Linux only.

Not to mention Linux development; Darwin is pretty strict about how you can compile stuff and Linux... not so much.

Yeah... but doesnt most stuff that exists commercially for linux also exist for windows? Cause the thread was about Mac OS X, Windows and Linux triple-boot...

I mean... If you have windows already on your mac... and you have a software package that comes in linux and windows versions... why not just use it in windows? Unless you just have windows on there to be able to say "Ha ha, I have windows... though I never use it"

I mean, it's like saying... "Oh, Office 2006 for Linux just came out, better go install Linux" when you already have OS X and Windows. What's the point?

It exists. Expensive {censored}, too. And if you're using an Intel Mac, and they don't have it for Intel, well tough beans, you gotta wait or use Linux. Sometimes it happens because your school/whatever will have the licenses for Windows and Linux only.

Linux license seems to be an oxymoron as the grand majority of things for Linux are free as in beer.

Not to mention Linux development; Darwin is pretty strict about how you can compile stuff and Linux... not so much.

Linux is freeer because developers are forced to be (it's a part of Linux--anything released for it immediately has the source code released and is declared "open source" if I remember this right). Plus, Apple makes it rather easily to shove the necessary files into their proper directories in order for it to run properly. And developers are taking advantage of XCode to port Linuxy things to OS X anyway.

I want to use linux for programming purposes and open-source software. I want to use windows for games. Then OSX for everything else! : ) Thanks BRP for the wiki! I'm gonna be doing this mostly on the Macbook I'm going to buy in August.