Support for NTFS in 10.6.2 absent?

tdtran1025

49 posts in this topic

I used NTFS-3, working perfect on SNOW Leo 10.6.2 !

here:

Download link for NTFS-3G

We discussed that before, dude.

The only problem with NTFS-3G is the slow transfer speed over network / disks on some computers. Also, another problem is when sharing drives with Windows installed (other NTFS drives doesn't seem to suffer that issue). In my case I don't experience any issues so far.

The best solution for speed is Paragon NTFS, but is not free and only works on 32bits.

Cheers!

Where do I have to put the DSDT.aml and the SMBIOS.plist????

BootThink looks for dsdt, smbios, boot.plist, and patched kernels in Darwin folder on your boot volume (in my case - USB stick)

BootThink looks for dsdt, smbios, boot.plist, and patched kernels in Darwin folder on your boot volume (in my case - USB stick)

Yeah, I've read that.

But, I think I'll keep PCEFI 10.5 for a while. I tried to install Boot Think to my External HD (GUID formatted) and the EFI option was greyed out. I even tried booting from another Snow Leopard installation and still is greyed out.

I want to install Bootk Think on the EFI partition to keep my system as vanilla as possible but it seems I can't do it.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers!

WARNING!

I have got my 3 disks (2.5 TB av Data) corrupted by using native ntfs r/w!

BE WARNED PEOPLE, APPLE DISABLED IT FOR A REASON!

me too, not only that but horrible stability of snow by enabling rw support.

I did some writing speed tests on my USB drive (NTFS):

-Paragon 7.0.3 the writing speed is 3.5MB/s

-NTFS-3G with MACFUSE 2.1.7 the writing speed is 5.8MB/s

-Windows XP: the writing speed is 10MB/s

I'm on SL 32bit. As you can see on my system NTFS-3G is faster than Paragon 7 ?!

I did some writing speed tests on my USB drive (NTFS):

-Paragon 7.0.3 the writing speed is 3.5MB/s

-NTFS-3G with MACFUSE 2.1.7 the writing speed is 5.8MB/s

-Windows XP: the writing speed is 10MB/s

I'm on SL 32bit. As you can see on my system NTFS-3G is faster than Paragon 7 ?!

wow, that's slow.

i tested on my external esata drive (ahci controller). ntfs-3g gives me around 12-13MB/s while with paragon i get the same performance as with my hfs+ formatted internal drive.

over gigabit network, read and write performance is around 30MB/s for both hfs+ and ntfs shares (obviously network is the bottleneck here).

wow, that's slow.

i tested on my external esata drive (ahci controller). ntfs-3g gives me around 12-13MB/s while with paragon i get the same performance as with my hfs+ formatted internal drive.

over gigabit network, read and write performance is around 30MB/s for both hfs+ and ntfs shares (obviously network is the bottleneck here).

Which program do you use to measure the transfer speeds????

Cheers!!!

True although The Apple website promotes Paragon NTFS. Maybe there will be a 64-bit version coming. Or maybe Apple is into selling apps.

I did try NTFS 3G in 64-bit mode and it seems to transfer reasonably quick.

ntfs-3g works with 64-bit kernel with 64-bit beta macfuse

hxxp://static.caurea.org/MacFUSE/MacFUSE-2.1.7.dmg

True although The Apple website promotes Paragon NTFS. Maybe there will be a 64-bit version coming. Or maybe Apple is into selling apps.

I did try NTFS 3G in 64-bit mode and it seems to transfer reasonably quick.

I got around 50 MB/s on read/write on NTFS volumes. It's quite fast to me. It's the same speed on Windows transfering between NTFS drives.

Cheers!!

i use a stopwatch and a 1gb file :)

Heheheheheheh!!!!

Like I said, with muCommander I got around 50 MB/s between the Mac HD and my NTFS drives. That's pretty good for me.

About Boot Think I couldn't install it to the EFI partition of a existing Snow Leopard installation. Also, my VESA mode doesn't support widescreen resolutions, so the Bootloader looks streched. With Chameleon I cheated using previously streched images to get the regular logo on boot.

If I install it to a USB stick, I can't hide it to both Windows and Mac and always appear. I've tried hiding the partition with GParted liveCD but it rendered the Stick unbootable.

For Booting DVD it requieres aditional kexts and a kernel on another folder and I don't like it.

After all, it's a great bootloader but it doesn't suit my needs. If you know how to solve the above statements, please let me know. I'd like to use it if it solves that issues.

Cheers!!

• 3 months later...

sorry for jumping this topic,

but i really need your help guys.

i'm looking for a way to mount Windows LDM partitions:

basiclly i took 500 gigs hd and 1 tb hd, and made one partition.

i want to mount this partition on SL, and i tried every tool there is (paragon, ntfs-3g, tuxera).

somehow, it doesnt work.

any idea? thanks!

I bet you have tried the latest ports of NTFS3G/ MacFuse yet.

In what manner do you use LDM dynamic disk scheme - as a spanned RAID 0 kind?

I would always do that with a RAID controller and from inside its settings interface so the controller does the dirty job and any system (no matter if Win, X or Linux) sees the volume as one has set it up.