10.6.2 + ga-p55-ud3 + core i5

radekge

35 posts in this topic

Hello,

just wanted to share my thoughts.

I got vanilla 10.6.2 running on my core i5 and gigabyte ga-p55-ud3 boards. It's fully stable. However, the cpu in "about this mac" is still shown as unknown, as are the P55 based sata and usb controllers. Strange, I thought, the new iMac has EXACTLY the same components, it has to, P55 is for now the only chipset working with core i5.

The mystery was solved when I saw first quadcore iMac benchmarks. Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Build 10C2234), not build 10C540 as we all have. So, they have a custom build. We'll probably have to wait until 10.6.3 for full i5/P55 support.

Real iMac benchmarked with Geekbench scores over 6000. The same my i5 on Windows 7, however on 10.6.2 it scores only 4900. Waiting for the release of 10.6.3....

The mystery was solved when I saw first quadcore iMac benchmarks. Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Build 10C2234), not build 10C540 as we all have. So, they have a custom build. We'll probably have to wait until 10.6.3 for full i5/P55 support.

Hey there- I'm running a similar system the P55M-UD2. I noticed that same thing in a few threads on MacRumors- there must be some special sauce in that build. Here are some details of the iMac11,1- for fun I plugged in the numbers and stuff into my smbios.plist.

post-89646-1258074182_thumb.png

System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Build 10C2234)

Model iMac11,1 Motherboard Apple Inc. Mac-F2268DAE

Processor Intel® Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5

Processors 1 Threads 4

Cores 4 Memory 4.00 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Processor Frequency 2.66 GHz Bus Frequency 4.80 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB

L2 Cache 256 KB L3 Cache 8.00 MB

BIOS Apple Inc. IM111.88Z.0034.B00.0910301727

Hello,

I got vanilla 10.6.2 running on my core i5 and gigabyte ga-p55-ud3 boards. It's fully stable. However, the cpu in "about this mac" is still shown as unknown, as are the P55 based sata and usb controllers. Strange, I thought, the new iMac has EXACTLY the same components, it has to, P55 is for now the only chipset working with core i5.

Real iMac benchmarked with Geekbench scores over 6000. The same my i5 on Windows 7, however on 10.6.2 it scores only 4900. Waiting for the release of 10.6.3....

Hello,

Wow, I have the same MB and CPU. Please, show me on how you get Snow Leopard installed. Thanking you in advance for your help.

tonymacx86: that's a screenshot of your machine or have you got access to a real quadcore iMac?

ez.online:

You can use my BootCD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926399/MBCD.ISO

Boot from it, insert the 10.6 retail DVD, press F5, enter boot arguments: -v busratio=20 cpus=1

and boot the retail DVD.

Install.

After the installation boot again from the BootCD, this time start your newly installed system (the same boot arguments). Make /Extra/Extensions folder and copy fakesmc.kext there ( netkas.org ). You have to use RealtekR1000.kext for LAN to work (I found it on kexts.com).

If you have the latest bios version (F4) you can use my dsdt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926399/dsdt.aml otherwise the 10.6.2 kernel will KP with HPET error. Install Chameleon/PCEFI. Update to 10.6.2 (via software update or combo update, both work). That's it, it should work.

Remember that in bios you need to have the sata controller set to "AHCI", not raid.

tonymacx86: that's a screenshot of your machine or have you got access to a real quadcore iMac?

ez.online:

Boot from it, insert the 10.6 retail DVD, press F5, enter boot arguments: -v busratio=20 cpus=1

and boot the retail DVD.

Install.

After the installation boot again from the BootCD, this time start your newly installed system (the same boot arguments). Make /Extra/Extensions folder and copy fakesmc.kext there ( netkas.org ). You have to use RealtekR1000.kext for LAN to work (I found it on kexts.com).

If you have the latest bios version (F4) you can use my dsdt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926399/dsdt.aml otherwise the 10.6.2 kernel will KP with HPET error. Install Chameleon/PCEFI. Update to 10.6.2 (via software update or combo update, both work). That's it, it should work.

Remember that in bios you need to have the sata controller set to "AHCI", not raid.

Hey radekge,

This is awesome, I have the same exact board and have been waiting for a more foolproof guide! I spent some time last night and this morning going through all the p55 threads/guides to figure out what I need to do. When I left to head off to work, I was about to install, but my hard drive wasn't detected, and that's with AHCI enabled instead of RAID. Any clues about this?

Anyway, I'm going to try out your steps tonight, since it's a little different from others for p55 boards. On top of that, it's the same exact setup as me.

hey there,

can someone help me, please?

I got SL 10.6.2 up and running. everything worked perfect.

after a few restarts, the system is running to fast.

I tried to reset the bios, but it didn't solve the issue.

Is there any bootflag or!??!

GA-P55M-UD2 @ firmware 4f

i5 750

8 GB 1600 Corsair x3

thanx for your help...

hey there,

can someone help me, please?

I got SL 10.6.2 up and running. everything worked perfect.

after a few restarts, the system is running to fast.

I tried to reset the bios, but it didn't solve the issue.

Is there any bootflag or!??!

GA-P55M-UD2 @ firmware 4f

i5 750

8 GB 1600 Corsair x3

thanx for your help...

monolyth, you can also try asking in the p55 thread. Lots of folks with your exact board:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1329901

BTW, what do you mean, by "running too fast"? I always thought fast is good, unless it gets too hot ;-).

monolyth, you can also try asking in the p55 thread. Lots of folks with your exact board:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1329901

BTW, what do you mean, by "running too fast"? I always thought fast is good, unless it gets too hot ;-).

hey goldenaustin,

the time is to fast what as well results in error messages in logic when playing back. (sync errors every few bars)

I had that same issue when using the efi-x dongle with my e8500. it was a bus speed problem.

they resolved it after a few weeks.

hey goldenaustin,

the time is to fast what as well results in error messages in logic when playing back. (sync errors every few bars)

I had that same issue when using the efi-x dongle with my e8500. it was a bus speed problem.

they resolved it after a few weeks.

Sorry, I'm very limited on this stuff at the moment, since my only experience is with the mini 9. However, I do noticed people are mentioning the following boot flags:

-v busratio=20 cpus=1

Seems related, but just a wild guess.

goldenaustin:

When I left to head off to work, I was about to install, but my hard drive wasn't detected, and that's with AHCI enabled instead of RAID. Any clues about this?

This board has 2 sata controllers. One is the P55 and the second is Gigabyte-branded, jMicron I think. Where did you plug your hard drive? It should be one of the P55 sockets, the blue ones near the bottom of the board.

tonymacx86:

Tested different boot files, but still the RTC issue remains.

RTC issue? you mean CMOS reset after every reboot and bios settings going back to default? You have to patch RTC in your dsdt. It's very easy to do.

To solve the 'system speed too fast' issue:

Use the modified boot file for P55 boards located here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ak0769

It is a Chameleon RC3 boot file modified for i5 and i7 processors.

There should be no need for any special boot flags with 10.6.2 Vanilla kernel. Good Luck!

Read this thread for any help with P55 boards- lots of info and files: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6155&st=380

RTC issue? you mean CMOS reset after every reboot and bios settings going back to default? You have to patch RTC in your dsdt. It's very easy to do.

I meant RTC as in "Real Time Clock"- I have patched DSDT for CMOS reset issue. For now the only way to make the system run in 'Real Time" is to use the i5 boot file.

goldenaustin:

This board has 2 sata controllers. One is the P55 and the second is Gigabyte-branded, jMicron I think. Where did you plug your hard drive? It should be one of the P55 sockets, the blue ones near the bottom of the board.

Interesting, I honestly don't know where it's plugged in. I just chose the first SATA port I could find. I'll double check when I get home later tonight. Appreciate it!

Hmm, can you give me some link with information what EXACTLY is this RTC issue? How can I check if I have it? Actually I mostly use win7 nowadays, I have snow leo on spare disk for testing, I don't use it so much so I might not have noticed this issue even if I have it...

--

ok, I think I've found the info... and I probably have it :/ looking now for source code of i5boot, I want to know what modifications are needed...

To solve the 'system speed too fast' issue:

Use the modified boot file for P55 boards located here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ak0769

It is a Chameleon RC3 boot file modified for i5 and i7 processors.

There should be no need for any special boot flags with 10.6.2 Vanilla kernel. Good Luck!

hey tonymacx86,

thanx for your help! I appreciate it very much.

Where has the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to be placed? In the extra folder?

hey tonymacx86,

thanx for your help! I appreciate it very much.

Where has the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to be placed? In the extra folder?

The i5 specific boot file replaces the boot file in the root directory. If you haven't already, you'll have to show the hidden files, which I do with a script.

ez.online:

and boot the retail DVD.

Install.

So, I'm typing this reply on the same combo on 10.6.2, which is awesome! The only problem though, is that I can only boot into the system using your BootCD. If I don't, after getting based the initial Chameleon boot screen, and seeing all the text fly with the verbose setting, the screen goes to blank/black, without ever going to the silver SL startup screen. Any clues?

The i5 specific boot file replaces the boot file in the root directory. If you haven't already, you'll have to show the hidden files, which I do with a script.

goldenaustin,

thanx that did it!

everything is up and running :-)

... and a big thanx to tonymacx86 and the whole community.

ez.online:

and boot the retail DVD.

Install.

Hey Redekge,

Do you know if this method would also work on my MSI P55 GD65 motherboard? I've got an i5 750 processor.. Hope you can help..

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I'm having some trouble, I'm following these instructions :] -

and boot the retail DVD.

Install.

What happens is after I enter Chameleon, I enter boot arguments: -v busratio=20 cpus=1 .. Screen is filled with text, and eventually it stops at : Virtual bool IOHIDEventSystemUser:: initWithTask(task*, void*, Uint32) : Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory..

After that nothing happens..

I had these settings in BIOS:

Raid Mode AHCI

On Chip ATA Devices - Raid Mode : AHCI

Intel EIST - Disabled

C1E Support - Disabled

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

Spread Spectum - Disabled

Active Processors - All

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

PS: I've already looked at the P55 forum, there doesn't seem to be anyone with MSI P55 board...

Hello,

What graphics card are you using, btw? I've used your instructions, but get a blank screen when using the 10.6.2 kernel, no problem when using the qoopz kernel, but I'm trying to figure out if it's due to a kext incompatibility or possibly my dsdt file.