Convert Windows Exe's to OS X and Linux Binaries?

Jeezoflip

29 posts in this topic

I have XCode 2.1 but I get this error building the app:

"SDK package /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk does not exist"

I checked in /Developer/SDKs and I have that folder :D

It's very strange. I'll install XCode 2.3 (the latest released) for trying to build Alky.

Sherry Haibara

EDIT: excuse me, I haved a bad name for that folder. I renamed the folder and now I get those error messages:

- the first one: "cc1: error: invalid option 'preferred-stack-boundary=4'"

- the second one: "cc1: error: invalid option 'stackrealign'"

I hope that you help me to resolve those problems.

Hey,

This is Cody Brocious, the founder of Alky. Thanks for your interest in the project.

To build Alky, you must be on an Intel Mac using XCode 2.3 (we require some functionality only in XCode 2.3 to get around oddities with OS X's stack). If you have any problems, drop by the IRC channel or forums.

- Cody Brocious

Just a thought... maybe the viruses can run on OS X too... :dev:

If I'm reading this app right, it converts .exe files to OS X application packages. So a virus would have to be converted to a package application. Then the virus would act as it should, trying to nest itself into the (nonexistent) Windows directory in order to eat the system alive. So the virus would be killed off on the basis there isn't a Windows directory.

Hi guys! I tried to compile alky with XCode 2.3 under OSX86 10.4.5 running on an AMD64 machine and it works! I tried to execute an easy example program and this is the result. The first image represent the program running through Wine, the second image represent the same windows program running native on Mac OS X.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5968/ms...oughwine8cl.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3411/msgboxonosx865jv.jpg

I don't know what do you think, but I think that this is a beautiful project!

Sherry Haibara

Holy shi--guacamole! That's pretty insane. I can't compile it, but maybe you should try it with some real programs: How about Media Player Classic. It's a solitary program (one exe, no other files needed) but it's very complex. Also, they say it's going to be able to do high-end games, so I think that'd be a good test.

They should start releasing their working conversions.

Perhaps the the embedded EXE metadata with company and product could be taken out, or if that could be not befound, use the EXE name, and make a virtual per app registry in its Application Support plist, with reg keys as strings in the plist...

In how they will deal with the Windows Installer, I have absolutely no clue at all. Maybe they should make sure to test on the games that run more complex installers that won't even initialize in Wine (such as Final Fantasy XI or something like that, which wont even start the installer in Cedega).

Perhaps the the embedded EXE metadata with company and product could be taken out, or if that could be not befound, use the EXE name, and make a virtual per app registry in its Application Support plist, with reg keys as strings in the plist...

Isn't one problem you would have with each app having a registry being that some apps require other apps? An example is iTunes requires Quicktime on a Windows PC (or at least the codec pack). I think they should all share a registry if they do anything like that, and have it as a .plist file and the programs maybe even organized like Windows programs on the Mac (Though I am not sure many people would like that, they would rather put them all in the Applications folder nice and neat and organized). I think the best bet would be a shared registry between them, yet keep them seperate programs that access it individually.

Wine has been a lot of work and I doubt this will be different for Alky. I'm all for the idea but i doubt the differences to the wine project they list on the frontpage will help them overcome the stepping stones (undocumented windows apis, undocumented low-level functions or bugs that have to be replicated too) any faster.

I doubt that seamless interportability will ever be possible if the os manufacturers won't get together. Projects like Wine and Alky will always be messy until developers start to develop applications with Wine in mind (and debug them accordingly).