How much ist that Mac worth?

22 posts in this topic

Although it might be "worth" more, I certainly would not pay more than $200 for it because for amount you could build something yourself that would much faster.

While you could build something faster fairly cheaply, it wouldn't have the advantage of being able to run PPC code natively, and wouldn't be guaranteed to run all versions of Mac OS from 9.2.2 through at least 10.5 (as it's fairly certain that a dual G4 will at least meet the requirements).

... it wouldn't have the advantage of being able to run PPC code natively...

This computer is about five years old, uses PC-100 RAM and crippled by a 100 MHz bus that is shared between both chips. Running OS X at 500 MHz is going to be really slow, getting a single CPU at 1 GHz would be much better.

While I could see it fetching a much higher price on eBay, I think it is "worth" about $150 because you can build something with new components which runs OS X that's about 5x faster for about $300. I would expect that even PPC apps would run about 3x faster with Rosetta.

Let me rephrase that.

Sure you could run PPC code natively, but then you couldn't run Intel Mac code.

that's what Universal Binary is designed for. Any program compiled using Universal Binary can run on both PPC and Intel.

What I've noticed about legacy macs is that the older the mac is (in the G3 line), the faster and more responsive the UI, but the weaker the actual processing power. Newer macs feel sluggish to me. It seems like too much processing power is put into making the UI slick. And frankly, No mac I've ever used has been anywhere near as responsive UI-wise as my hackintosh.

What I've noticed about legacy macs is that the older the mac is (in the G3 line), the faster and more responsive the UI, but the weaker the actual processing power. Newer macs feel sluggish to me. It seems like too much processing power is put into making the UI slick. And frankly, No mac I've ever used has been anywhere near as responsive UI-wise as my hackintosh.

Hey, wanna trade my iBook for your hackintosh? My iBook is faster. :dev:

You don't want one of those new Macs. They're too slow for you.

Hi!

I'm planning on buying a used G4 for my home office.

Specs:

Powermac G4 Dual 500

512MB RAM

60GB HDD

Superdrive

-

How much would that one be worth?

thanks!

If you're just doing home office {censored} on it (i.e. MS Word) then that system will do you just fine. As to price, I wouldn't be paying a whole lot for it, maybe $200 at best.

The better part of that system compared with other G4's of the time is you can stick up to 2 GB of RAM (compared to the other's 1.5 GB) in that system under OS X. Sadly, OS 9 will only recognize 1.5 GB of that RAM if you ever boot into 9.

While on the subject of OS 9, that kind of machine would be wicked fast in that OS (and it will still handle all home office needs nad it will run WordPerfect).

Name ONE that is Intel-only? I can't think of any other than Parallels.

Maybe there aren't many now, but I can assure you that within the next few years, more and more apps are going to become Intel only. You'll be sorry that you bought that.

At best for the money get a 1ghz Emac they seem to be the best used deal out tere. Maybe $375 for a 1+ ghz 17" wide screen and the hard drives, ram, and DVD rom are are off shelf easily upgradeable. Not too shabby and kinda chic!

Personally I would build a hack'n'tosh!

I own a super duty homemade machine that is osx86 for screwing around and a new low end macbook for work and travel.

It is a nice balance.

thanks for your feedback.

i'm not gonna go for another machine. i just got the opportunity to get this one for 190€. i already have my pc at home, we're i installed osx86 a few times, but i don't really wanna mess around with all these hacks and still not getting garage band to work.

i just checked ebay USA, a machine like this ends up at about 350$, same price at ebay germany for a single 450 G4...so i guess i'm good with that.

oh, one more question...no..two!

1. can i use regular pc100 ram or do i need some special ram? because i still got 1,5GB of that from my old pc.

2. i have a G4 Single 867 at work, with 1,5GB ram...if i upgrade the dual 500 to 1,5GB, would that be comparable?

thanks a lot guys!

oh, one more question...no..two!

1. can i use regular pc100 ram or do i need some special ram? because i still got 1,5GB of that from my old pc.

2. i have a G4 Single 867 at work, with 1,5GB ram...if i upgrade the dual 500 to 1,5GB, would that be comparable?

thanks a lot guys!

To answer your questions, yes (pretty much, some brands work great, some not at all), and yes (but some things will be faster on your machine, some things faster on your work computer).

You can use either PC-100 or PC-133 RAM in that Mac (the 133 RAM will throttle itself down).

As for getting 1.5 GB of RAM, it's up to you. 1 GB on its own seems to be the optimal amount for OS X, and Photoshop (if you use that) always benefits from more RAM.