[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire 5570z

19 posts in this topic

Dear all,

After long time trying to install Snow Leopard on my Acer Aspire 5570z, finally I can run it smoothly with vanilla system. In this thread, I try to share info how to install Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire 5570z. Though it is not perfect enough but still there is a hope for this kind of notebook.

Pre-Installation :

* Get copy of Snow Leopard DVD. I suggest to buy the original DVD because Apple had made a lot of effort to this wonderful OS.

* Working PC/Notebook with Leopard/Tiger installed and run on it.

* External HDD/USB Flash Drive with GUID partition table

* Chameleon2/BootThink bootloader

1st Installation :

1. External HDD/USB Flash Drive attached to PC/Notebook with Leopard/Tiger running on it, insert copy of Snow Leopard DVD. Soon after it is mounted, just press SHIFT+ALT+G. And put this, "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages" w/o quote. Go to OSInstall.mpkg and run it. Soon the Installer will ask you several step to finish. When it ask where to install the OS, just choose your External HDD/USB Flash Drive and wait some time to finish installing.

2. As it finish install the OS, run Chameleon2 Installer and choose your Ext HDD/USB Flash Drive as a destination. Put the contain of Extra folder I've included in /Extra of your system. Put VoodooHDA, VoodooPower, and VoodooBattery into /System/Library/Extensions. Edit /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist. Find line <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and change this line <string>0x436211ab</string> to <string>0x435211ab</string>. Reboot and choose to boot from Ext HDD/USB Flash Drive. As Chameleon GUI appear, type "-v" and enter. Snow Leopard should boot in verbose mode. And the next step won't be explain here because everyone already know what to do.

* You can repeat the step 1 to install Snow Leopard on your Acer Aspire 5570z's HDD or you can use SuperDuper to clone ext drive to your laptop hdd.

Supported Files :

* Extra folder. You can find it here

* Chameleon2 bootloader. You can find it here

Update to 10.6.2 :

Just run MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg and enjoy it

Coments :

Feel free to give suggest and opinion.

Regards,

Update December 22nd, 2009 :

* Kexts added

* Instruction manual to install Mac OS X 10.6 Server on Acer Aspire 5570z in progress

* For Atheros user, it's better to change the WIFI card to Broadcom one. I replace it with Broadcom taken from Acer Aspire 3680 and it's running smoothly

Update December 23rd, 2009 :

* Added link for Kext Helper.app & RepairKexts Permission.app. Link

* Installation GUIDE for Snow Leopard Server is available

Link down... I am not sure to install a Mac os on my pc... I will buy a new laptop. :rolleyes:

A new UP will be good :unsure:

Link up already. It's good if your're going to buy the new one But, if your old one meet minimum system requirement that's going to be wonderful

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same laptop and have leaperd on it. I've tried your install guid and I'm getting stuck at with it saying waiting on Dsmos.... Then nothing any thought on how to fix this.

Thanks jet

Hi Jet! Sorry for late reply. Hmm...perhaps you miss certain kext. Maybe you can try this way.

1. Boot to your Leopard.

2. After you logged in, plug your USB HDD in. Open /Application/Utilities/Disk Utility.app. Highlight to your USB HDD. Klik Partition tab, and divide it into a single partition using HFS+ Journaled and also remember to format it into GUID partition table instead using MBR.

3. Mount your Snow Leopard DVD/Disk Image, press Shift+Alt+G and put '/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages' w/o quote and find OSInstall.mpkg. Run it by clicking it. You will see Installer windows. Follow the step carefully and only install package you need to save HDD space.

4. As the installation finish, run Bootloader installer and select your USB HDD as destination.

5. Copy all kexts which I included in this thread. The kexts consist of AHCIPortInjector, AppleIntelPIIXATA, ATAPortInjector, fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, IOPCMCIAFamily, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooPS2Trackpad.

6. You must copy VoodooPower, VoodooBattery, and VoodooHDA to /System/Library/Extensions to have your Audio and battery information working

7. Don't forget to edit /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon/Contents/Info.plist to make your netwok card working. Edit smbios.plist in /Extra and change SMUUID with yours. You can find your UUID in BIOS.

8. After all this step, you're ready to boot from your USB HDD.

May this step help you.

Good luck

This guide worked, It was my USB drive that was slow very slow

I'm glad to hear that. Installation in USB driver is for trial and error only. If you're successfully install it on your USB drive, you are suggested to install it on your internal drive

Hi, installation following your guide was very smooth, but some things aren't working for me.

• Sound is not working, the sound menu in system preferences says "No output devices found"
  • The battery meter doesn't appear
  • The network status says connected (both Ethernet and AirPort) but Safari tells me I'm not connected to the internet.

I would appreciate your help very much

Hi, installation following your guide was very smooth, but some things aren't working for me.

• Sound is not working, the sound menu in system preferences says "No output devices found"
  • The battery meter doesn't appear
  • The network status says connected (both Ethernet and AirPort) but Safari tells me I'm not connected to the internet.

I would appreciate your help very much

It's nice to hear another person has successfully installed it in a same machine. Ok, let me ask you few questions. Have you place VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooPower.kext, and VoodooBattery.kext in /System/Library/Extensions ? If you haven't, please put them in on that place. If you have, please use RepairKexts Permission.app to do repair permission of your /Extra and /System/Library/Extensions. I'll provide it for you. Please look at my first thread for update.

Good luck ;)

It's nice to hear another person has successfully installed it in a same machine. Ok, let me ask you few questions. Have you place VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooPower.kext, and VoodooBattery.kext in /System/Library/Extensions ? If you haven't, please put them in on that place. If you have, please use RepairKexts Permission.app to do repair permission of your /Extra and /System/Library/Extensions. I'll provide it for you. Please look at my first thread for update.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Great news, RepairKexts Permission.app fixed the network and the battery meter, and then when I updated to 10.6.2 the sound worked too.

Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

Hi Followed this Guide and it worked after a few times. i know that the wireless card the 5570Z comes with doesn't work with Macs, so i have this Netgear WG111v3 USB Antenna. I installed it and everything. In my Network Status it says that everything is fine. Connects to ISP and everything but it doesn't connect to the internet(it says "Failed" on the Network Diagnostics. I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to fix this. :unsure:

• 6 months later...

Fist of all congratulations for the beautiful work here!

I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 in my Acer 5570Z following your steps and the only thing is missing is wifi to run (I didn´t find a 10.6.0 DVD to buy, only 10.6.3):

The network status says connected (AirPort) but Safari tells me I'm not connected to the internet. I can even "see" other computers in my router network but no internet. My Ethernet is broken due an electric discharge.

Sound and battery meter are running!

I have already installed the provided kexts using "Kext Helper b7" and after that running "RepairKexts Permission.app". That made sound and battery meter to work! Wifi not!

I have a Gigabit wifi PCI card (Model GN-WI01) that was running ok in 10.5.1 (yatkos) and a Broadcom also (BCM94311MCG). Both have same problem!

Attached are snapshots from my network info in "about this mac".

Now I´ve got a borrowed 10.6.0 DVD from a friend and have installed it at other external HD. At this point no sound and same wifi status, battery meter ok. I´m downloading now MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg to run it (as I saw in other post that it made sound to run, maybe it corrects my wifi card).

UPDATE: 10.6.2 combo installed and same situation from 10.6.3: battery meter and audio ok, wifi conected but no internet.

If anybody has any hint I would be very grateful!

Thank you all!

post-627822-1283460505_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460553_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460568_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460637_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460657_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460681_thumb.png

post-627822-1283460703_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all, I was able to successfully boot snow leopard via USB device....question now is how do i install to the internal hard disk of acer aspire 5570z. I tried using super duper and copied the entire usb to the hard disk (which i formatted first with mac os journaled). Whenever i restart the laptop it cannot detect the Snow Leopard and gives the error "Error loading operating system". I dont have a windows installation anymore because i overwrote it with the OS X. BTW i can only boot via usb if use verbose mode. Thanks!

• 9 months later...