Quadboot Challenge=> New in "Multi Booting and Virtualisation "

El canardo

1 post in this topic

Hello everybody ;-)

I tried to instal a quadboot sytem on my MacBookPro machine. Here is my configuration :

From my OS X DVD i partitioned the hard drive into 5 partitions by the « disk utility » :

---------------------------------------------------------------

-First partition : VISTA_HD (40 GB->MS-DOS FAT)

-Second partition : STORAGE (5 GB ->MS-DOS FAT)

-Third partition : XPPRO_HD (35 GB ->MS-DOS FAT)

-Fourth partition : MACOS_HD (230 GB ->HFS+)

*Five partition : FREE SPACE DISK FOR MY LAST OS-> Linux (nearby 10 GB)

---------------------------------------------------------------

AND JUST AFTER THIS PARTITION, I downloaded the Refit program for Mac and installed it. And just after having installed it I ran a Terminal to elways enable the refit menu (cd /efi/refit/.. and.. sudo ./enable-always.sh). OK ?

And then I installed all the Oses as taught is this fabulous tuto -> You can try and see:

http://hydtech.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/dual-triple-quad-boot-a-macbook-with-mac-os-x-ubuntu-linux-windows-xp-and-windows-vista/

You understood, what i want is a Quadboot with: Mac+vista+xp+..LINUX (Linux Ubuntu 9.04 for X86 processor)

So i succeed in installing THE QUADBOOT ->> AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY I NEED TO SAY IT !

My trouble is that When i restart the mac, and go on the « Refit graphic menu » :

Here.. if I point to the penguin image (to boot the Linux Os), I’m said - I mean it’s written just under the penguin – that Linux will boot “on the STORAGE partition !!??

-> SO WHAT I ‘VE DONE ? :

Even if the quadboot works fine, i’m a bit annoyed with this graphic default in Refit, so I tried to fix the grub (during the 7/7 step of linux advanced settings) to all others possible positions : That is to say :

On

hd0,1

hd0,3

hd0,4

hd0,5

and hd0,6

=>>> BUT NOTHING TO DO even if I make a synchronization by “Partitionning Tool” in Refit after each Os install. Nothing can work EXCEPT the hd0,2 which is for me the “Third partition : XPPRO_HD (35 GB ->MS-DOS FAT)” à So why installing grub in the xp boot partition ??

Anyway I THANK ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE A PIECE OF ADVICE TO GIVE !!

And please.. Excuse my English L