10.6.2 doesn't work with 8800GT EFI Strings

Bidule200

140 posts in this topic

I can now identify clearly the incompatibility :

- If you boot 10.6.2 with a 1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 16:9 TV, plugged as main or secondary display,

you will get a black screen.

- If you plug it while the computer is running it will freeze.

It should affect the real Macs too if that is the case.

It should affect the real Macs too if that is the case.

It's just a guess, but maybe OS X is going to support HD (BlueRay for example). So it would make sense, that you can't watch your (HD) films on a TV as easy as you are used to. I think we cannot conclude this topic without knowing if this effect also takes place on a real mac.

- I'm sure it's affecting real MacPro with a PC's 8800GT ;

- Maybe it's affecting real MacPro with Apple officiel 8800GT ;

- Maybe it's affecting all Mac with an nVidia card... but probably not.

Hey,

do you have two displays connected? If yes, try to plug out one of them. I have a similar problem. I cannot use two displays (one 24" monitor and 32" HD Ready TV).

hashmet

same here. my hdtv is dead :D

I can confirm that replacing NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) with versions from 10.6.1 (6.0.2) SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!

I "found" the two 10.6.1 kexts here and the NV40Hal for the older cards here. :D

Cool. I'll be sure to back those up before trying the update in case I run into problems. Thanks. :D

I can now identify clearly the incompatibility :

- If you boot 10.6.2 with a 1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 16:9 TV, plugged as main or secondary display,

you will get a black screen.

- If you plug it while the computer is running it will freeze.

Im so glad to read that I am not alone with this problem.

I was really confused for the past 2 hours because of this. :D

Im so glad to read that I am not alone with this problem.

I was really confused for the past 2 hours because of this. :(

That's what makes this such a great community. We're all in this together. Glad we found the problem (and solution)!

Yup.... one question though. If i use the old 10.6.1 kexts am i trading off Quality for compatibility???

No idea what's in the 6.0.6 versions, but someone previously speculated that it might be due to potentially upcoming Blu-Ray support, hence HDCP issues over HDMI. I know for a fact that the two DVI monitors I have do not support HDCP, but all the HDMI monitors I tried and got the black screen with, do. So I am personally very much inclined to believe that theory. As to what you're "trading off" is a working monitor for a non-working one. I would go with working monitor. ;)

Perhaps netkas or some other genius will make 6.0.6 work for all of us, or perhaps it's really an Apple bug and affects Apple-branded Macs too! If that's the case, one would hope Apple themselves will fix the issue, or they'll have a lot of irate customers. :)

I can confirm that replacing NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) with versions from 10.6.1 (6.0.2) SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!

I "found" the two 10.6.1 kexts here and the NV40Hal for the older cards here. :)

Yep! It's realy helped, now can watch movies on my plasma tv again ;) Thanx!

Is the old NVDANV40Hal.kext necessary to avoid a KernelPanic ?

Or does it work with NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext only ?

Can I put them in /Extra/Extensions

or do I have to replace /System files ?

Is the old NVDANV40Hal.kext necessary to avoid a KernelPanic ?

Or does it work with NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext only ?

Can I put them in /Extra/Extensions

or do I have to replace /System files ?

For me it works well with NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext only, i didn't replace a NVDANV40Hal.kext

I guess that better to replace in system folder

Ur right Stell.... Im hoping the community can come up with a real solution soon............

From what i understand apple is implementing HDCP because of some sort of upcoming Blue-ray feature...???????

Well HDCP was just a guess in order to explain why 10.6.2 does not like HDMI. Has anyone heard anything from Apple concerning HDCP. I'm wondering why on the net there is nothing about this issue. And I still wonder how it is on a real mac.

By the way. Replacing the kexts worked for me. But I agree, that this is just a temporally solution.