10.6.2 Asus P6T (Non-Deluxe) upgrade experience

dacheat

33 posts in this topic

Working with another forum member, we have 100% working, full HD Audio, fully working AHCI in Enhanced mode etc Kext's and DSDT. I did not create the included DSDT; I think leozino did. My DSDT (never posted here) worked fine except I did not do the AHCI SATA fix. I tested leozino's DSDT, kext's from netkas, and some suggestions from leozino and we finally have a 100% working board in 32-bit and 64-bit mode.

My geekbench scores increased by over 40% with leozinos help! Thanks mate!

--

Section Description Score Geekbench Score

Geekbench 2.1.4 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Integer Processor integer performance 8928 11012

Floating Point Processor floating point performance 17262

Memory Memory performance 6295

Stream Memory bandwidth performance 5871

--

Final kext pack including leo's dsdt is attached and should be used to replace the original one that I attached last month.

P6T_10.6.2_kext_pack_final.zip

bump for updated post with a new zip of kexts

Got sound working again and have attached the zip file with all the KEXT's you need for this motherboard. I'm planning on updating the DSDT.aml to solve the CMOS reset issue but that a very very minor concern. Enjoy and my apologies to anyone who had issues with the first zip file I posted.

---

Asus P6T - Working well with the following exceptions:

1. Apple HDA needs to be updated for 10.6.2

2. Hard disk SATA throughput issues remain when BIOS settings are configured with the ENHANCED + SATA Option (just like in 10.6 and 10.6.1, worked just fine in 10.5.x).

Going back to PATA which was working fine (and just as fast as native settings with other OS's)

Things that appear to be fixed:

1. Nvidia driver is updated. I no longer get the odd screen anomaly when viewing all of my recently visited sites in Safari.

2. Haven't noticed anything else.. guess thats a good thing.

My hardware:

Asus P6T version 0707 BIOS

6gigs of memory

3x WD Black HDD's 2 in Apple software RAID 1

Nvidia 9500 GT with EFI strings

Enjoy! oh and please post or pm me if Netka's or anyone else recompile the AppleHDA kext(s) for this motherboard.

I played around with this for hours. I still don't have time to patch the dsdt for sound so I was trying different combinations for HDAenabler Applehda and legacyhda. Basically we have to use the default AppleHDA.kext meaning.. Don't put in /E/E which overrides the default one from 10.6.2. What we do need to do is use HDAenabler and the correct Legacyhda.kext.

I'll attach a set of HDAenablers to this reply. Try the correct version number (hardware like ACL1200 "12" or ACL888" etc with the legacyhda you were using before. I had to try and try.. took several hours before I found the right combo. I think you deluxe guys may have different audio hardware too?

HDAEnabler_for_Snow.zip

Does this have sleep working?

Because that's all I need to have everything working.

hey yo, this works. very cool.

the legacy fixed my audio. applehda kext was working, but i was not getting all the I/O on the card.

can you clarify some things for me and the audience?

whats the difference between

disabler.kxt and NullCPUPowerManagement?

why don't you have AHCIPortInjector

why don't you have sleepenabler.kext?

thanks.

saluti.

ok small update to the post...

I'm running my 920 core @ 3.1

i ran geekbench loading .6.2 with your kexts and the results were a little over 6k (6200+-).

i knew this was not right.

I ran geekbench again loading 6.2 with other kexts and results are just over 10k (1050+-). edit: not 1050, 10500 rather

its quite the difference in geekbench. I don't know if it translates completely to real life...but....

this are the kext I'm loading:

AHCIPortInjector

fakesmc

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

UUID

I'm not quite sure which one makes the difference, i think its nullcpupowermagement instead of your disabler.kext, I haven't tried it. maybe I will in a bit.

saluti.

ps: you did fix my audio dude very cool.

Would you mind attaching the AHCIportinjector that you are using? I don't care about sleep.. I have never and will never put a desktop or server to sleep. I have all sleep states disabled in the bios.

hey yo, this works. very cool.

the legacy fixed my audio. applehda kext was working, but i was not getting all the I/O on the card.

can you clarify some things for me and the audience?

whats the difference between

disabler.kxt and NullCPUPowerManagement?

why don't you have AHCIPortInjector

why don't you have sleepenabler.kext?

thanks.

saluti.

ok small update to the post...

I'm running my 920 core @ 3.1

i ran geekbench loading .6.2 with your kexts and the results were a little over 6k (6200+-).

i knew this was not right.

I ran geekbench again loading 6.2 with other kexts and results are just over 10k (1050+-). edit: not 1050, 10500 rather

its quite the difference in geekbench. I don't know if it translates completely to real life...but....

this are the kext I'm loading:

AHCIPortInjector

fakesmc

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

UUID

I'm not quite sure which one makes the difference, i think its nullcpupowermagement instead of your disabler.kext, I haven't tried it. maybe I will in a bit.

saluti.

ps: you did fix my audio dude very cool.

Hey.. I tried using the ACHIPORTINJECTOR.kext this morning. Not only did it not work, it causes kernel panic's in both 32 and 64bit mode. I had to boot up my recovery osx drive and mount the osx disk via usb to reverse the changes. I'll keep my under 10k Geekbench scores until you post a working 32/64 bit 10.6.2 compatible kernel module.

I'm 100% stable without the ACHI mess above and that includes two disks in an appleraid mirror and running vm's with Fusion 3.0 in 64-bit mode.

Would you mind attaching the AHCIportinjector that you are using? I don't care about sleep.. I have never and will never put a desktop or server to sleep. I have all sleep states disabled in the bios.

Hey.. I tried using the ACHIPORTINJECTOR.kext this morning. Not only did it not work, it causes kernel panic's in both 32 and 64bit mode. I had to boot up my recovery osx drive and mount the osx disk via usb to reverse the changes. I'll keep my under 10k Geekbench scores until you post a working 32/64 bit 10.6.2 compatible kernel module.

I'm 100% stable without the ACHI mess above and that includes two disks in an appleraid mirror and running vm's with Fusion 3.0 in 64-bit mode.

cool. i took out achi as well its working fine.

cool. i took out achi as well its working fine.

whats your geekbench score?

i think its that disabler you are using. use the one i posted from the netkas website.

NullCPUPowerManagement instead of disabler.

Ill give it a shot tomorrow. GB score is just over 6k.

Please clarify, you are or are not using the ACHIportinjector.kext?

Also, you are NOT using disabler.kext but ARE using the powermanagement.kext?

The powermanagement kext IS 64-bit compatible?

Thanks. I think that between the two of us we will have a set of 100% working kexts.

Ill give it a shot tomorrow. GB score is just over 6k.

Please clarify, you are or are not using the ACHIportinjector.kext?

Also, you are NOT using disabler.kext but ARE using the powermanagement.kext?

The powermanagement kext IS 64-bit compatible?

Thanks. I think that between the two of us we will have a set of 100% working kexts.

hey yeah, no more achiportinjector. only ioachiblackstorageinjector.

no disabler, instead nullcpupowermanagement.

im running 64bit 100%.

here are my kext: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DLXDYEHV

the only kext i loaded to the system kext is the ethernet. because it would not load form the usb stick. i loaded RealtekR1000SL with kext helper 7b.

WOW!

Section Description Score Geekbench Score

Geekbench 2.1.4 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Integer Processor integer performance 8880 10931

Floating Point Processor floating point performance 17108

Memory Memory performance 6226

Stream Memory bandwidth performance 5904

hey yeah, no more achiportinjector. only ioachiblackstorageinjector.

no disabler, instead nullcpupowermanagement.

im running 64bit 100%.

here are my kext: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DLXDYEHV

the only kext i loaded to the system kext is the ethernet. because it would not load form the usb stick. i loaded RealtekR1000SL with kext helper 7b.

My NIC card works fine with the stock kernel modules. Do you have an add on?

So I just ran the test and I got 11500 at 4ghz.

Leozino got 10500 at 3.1...hmmm

So the kexts that are linked above. How would I install just those? Would I have to do a fresh install?

If you are getting 11500 that should be about right. I'm at 3.87 and I'm getting just over 11000. I could not believe it.. my Windows Vista performance score (running in VMware Fusion 3.0) went from 2.9 to 4.9. Thats crazy fast for a VM!

To answer your question about using the kexts.. You should back ALL of your kexts up and then put these into /Extensions/Extra but be warned.. if for whatever reason it fails to boot, you will need to be able to boot from another osx drive (I have it installed on an old laptop drive too) so that you can get back into osx to fix the issue. You need to run Kext Utility after putting the attached kext's into the /E/E folder.

Again.. if you are getting 11500 and everything is working.. I'd follow "If it aint broke dont fix it" motto.

If you are getting 11500 that should be about right. I'm at 3.87 and I'm getting just over 11000. I could not believe it.. my Windows Vista performance score (running in VMware Fusion 3.0) went from 2.9 to 4.9. Thats crazy fast for a VM!

To answer your question about using the kexts.. You should back ALL of your kexts up and then put these into /Extensions/Extra but be warned.. if for whatever reason it fails to boot, you will need to be able to boot from another osx drive (I have it installed on an old laptop drive too) so that you can get back into osx to fix the issue. You need to run Kext Utility after putting the attached kext's into the /E/E folder.

Again.. if you are getting 11500 and everything is working.. I'd follow "If it aint broke dont fix it" motto.

yeah I'm getting 10300-10500 at 3.2ghz.

what temperatures are you guys reading at 4ghz??? are you stable? have you ran memory tests?

I will be trying these tonight. I freaked my install trying to update to 10.6.2. Updated successfully but now I only get 6000 so something is wrong. I had actually hit 120xx in geekbench.

I'm hoping this will be my final install.

Hi Dacheat

Ive just recently installed osx after a few headaches, with the help of many of the guys on this forum. I used the tweak41 guide to install.

Im running 10.6 and everything seems fine. 920 i7 2.67 geekbench 7400 (32bit)

I have just backed up the install drive ready to try and update. Tweak41 had an update guide but i guess the files used are for the SE board, and it was a little confusing.

I am using a usb stick with boot files on them to start up. (as with tweak41 guide)

Questions. Process

1- I should download the above files from Leozino and within the osx install take the kexts in the zip file and place them in extensions/extra . run kext utility (i presume the dsdt file is for bios version 801). According to tweak41 guide i should do this just before restarting when the 10.6.2 update asks to restart?

2- Should i update anything on the USB boot stick. For example copy the above files and recreate the bootstick?

Does it matter whether i upgrade on my original drive(on sata1) or on the backup external usb drive?

Thanks for the help.

Alexdbad