GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Yeah i tried "fix shutdown", it didn't change anything though. config file attached.

It was on F4 so I updated it to F6 today thinking I'd see an improvement? As F7J & F8A are both in beta I thought it best to avoid them, plus it says to use @BIOS to flash with those and I'm pretty sure you need a windows drive for that right?

Cheers

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Hi there,

I got the same config as yours #jdizzle and same problem. It's the first time I used Clover with Sierra. Try the config.plist from #@ROBASEFR but nothing change.

(No problem before with Chameleon on Capitan, and my edited DSDT.aml ... It was complete vanilla)

I try almost all possibility (Fix Shutdown...) I don't know what to do.

If I use Chameleon bootloader, (except Nvidia driver wich is not recognize) the problem disapears.

So it's a Clover config problem but wich one ?

Thanks for help ;)

I'm afraid I can't help you guys more since my main install is still Yosemite :rolleyes: I did a test install with beta 1 of Sierra which was successful but I cannot remember if I was able to shut down correctly.

It might be worth posting HERE as well since maybe more people are monitoring that thread... Good luck

• 1 month later...

ACPISensors.kext can cause many different problems, even in systems with perfectly configured BIOS and DSDT.

This information is important but barely mentioned anywhere.

To locate this kext right-click on FakeSMC.kext/Show Package Contents/Contents/Plugins/ACPISensors.kext.

Remove it and make sure it is not installed with FakeSMC.kext updates.

Hi All,

I have a GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 1.0 (BIOS f6) with an i7 930 and can't get it to shutdown correctly no matter what I try. I have Sierra running on it (although from boot to clover takes about 2min), would be great if the thing would shutdown normally?

I'm using the latest clover and have tried both the attached DSDT's with no luck.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Cheers

@jdizzle

1. Install latest BIOS (not Beta).

2. Disable build-in USB3 in BIOS. Remove previously installed USB3 drivers if any.

3. Extract your own DSDT by pressing F4 key at Clover Bootscreen.

4. Use dood's patches from page 1, or apply attached “GA X58A-UD5 patches” to extracted DSDT with DSDT Editor. Place patched DSDT.aml in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder.

5. Do not use any SSDT in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder. Clover handles C/P states perfectly.

6. Use attached config.plist after modifying SMBIOS and Graphics sections to reflect your System & GPU using latest Clover Configurator

Use MacPro4,1 definition for 4-core processor, or MacPro5,1 for 6-core processor.

7. Copy attached kexts to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 folder.

8. Enable Audio using "Toleda Script".

9. Update Clover to the latest version.

X58A-UD5.zip

I love the fact this thread is still going after all this time.

I've got a X58A-UD7, Bios F7, with a W3680 and a fairly recent version of Clover. I just switched this machine to Clover from Chameleon as I just updated the OS to El Capitan.

I've tried Dood's DSDT edits, various SSDTs and various settings in Clover. I can't get any multipliers aside from 16 and 25. Using MacPro 5,1 as the SMBios profile.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing here? I've built a dozen or so hacks, they all have PM working except this one and it's the most natively Mac like. 

That's because this mobo has been rock solid since I bought it. Just updated from a i7-920 to a i7-975 Extreme and overclocked to 4 Ghz. What more could I want?! Only recently did the Ethernet port go bad and I had to add a new one, but that is okay since I bought one that works OOB.

I had weird power management issues when I updated to the 975. I've never gotten it perfect, it seems to want to run way higher than the 920 did. My only suggestion is that I gave up on a separate SSDT and just edited the DSDT with the edits at the beginning of the post. That was the only way I could get more clock speeds.

Power Management and Overclocking Tips:

--- For this guide to work you must properly patch your own DSDT as per d00d's instructions from page 1.

To have all Speed-Step frequencies available, you must modify the Device (PX40) section so that AppleLPC.kext loads as described in point 9 of d00d's guide.

You can check if AppleLPC.kext is loaded on your system by going to About This Mac/System Report/Extensions/AppleLPC

You can use my DSDT and config.plist, but only with GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard on F13 BIOS after modifying SMBIOS and Graphics sections in my config.plist to reflect your System Definition & GPU.

If you own different motherboard and have trouble editing DSDT manually, use DSDT patches by motherboard from olarila.com and apply them to your own DSDT with DSDT Editor.

To get all C and P states working you should have the following enabled in BIOS:

1. Intel® Turbo Boost ---- Enabled
2. CPU EIST Function ----- Enabled

3. Load Line Calibration -- Enabled

4. CPU Vcore must be set to “Normal
5. Dynamic Vcore (DVID) must be set to value optimal for your overclock ( +0.24375 value allowed me to reach 190 BCLK/4.54GHz overclock on X5670 & i7-980X )

If you are not overclocking but want all C/P states used, set Dynamic Vcore (DVID) value using following formula:

CPU Vcore lowest value (when set to Normal+  (DVID) set value  =  1.35V (or Vcore value shown inside M.I.T window when using Optimized Defaults in BIOS)

You must reboot after each DVID change to see updated lowest and highest CPU Vcore value.             

Updated highest Vcore value will be shown in BIOS at the bottom of MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T) screen.

Updated lowest Vcore value will be shown in BIOS at M.I.T/Advanced Voltage Control/CPU Vcore.
     HWMonitor.app should show the same lowest and highest Vcore values during idle and during maximum load.

It may take several tries to get desired Vcore values when adjusting DVID as Load Line Calibration function applies its own adjustments as well.

I do not use any external SSDT letting Clover generate C/P States. I extracted my own DSDT by pressing F4 key at Clover bootscreen and applied d00d's patches.

I use unmodified F13 BIOS from Gigabyte website as F13 mod10 version was giving me some trouble.
With overclock settings listed below, my Xeon X5670 & i7-980X show the following frequency states2.27GHz (x12), 4.16GHz (x22), 4.35GHz (x23), 4.54GHz (x24).
CPU Vcore value shown in HW Monitor of system using Xeon X5670 CPU change in multiple steps between 1.136V and 1.408V.

CPU Vcore value shown in HW Monitor of system using i7-980X CPU change in multiple steps between 1.120V and 1.382V.

Note: Intel specifies that maximum Vcore voltage can be 1.35V(+/-)10 percent which is 1.4175V at maximum.

Both systems pass 10 hours of IntelBurn Test and have everything working properly including shutdown, restart, sleep and auto-sleep.
After switching to Noctua DH-14 Air Cooler my CPU temperature maxes at 78C during IntelBurn Test. In regular use under load it maxes at 69C. Idle temp is 32C.

My overclocking method is very simple:

At the beginning I set DVID to +0.24375 as this value would give me desired maximum CPU VCore of 1.408V.

Than I left all other voltages I could at Auto and just played with BCLK value until I reached stability.

Then using Easytune6 and Hardware Monitor on Windows I reviewed actual values of BIOS parameters that were set to Auto.

Since all values looked fine to me I decided to leave them at Auto.

If you copy my BIOS overclock settings start with BCLK Frequency value 172 and see how much higher you can go before system becomes unstable.

If CPU temperature gets too high, get better CPU Cooler or reduce DVID and BCLK values until temperature drops to comfortable level.

On Mac OSX you can use Geekbench 3 "Stress Test" function to check stability of your overclock.

Here are my complete Overclock BIOS settings for Xeon X5670 & i7-980X CPU:

RAM Notes:

Initially I used Corsair XMS3 RAM running at 1.65V  and with "Intel® Turbo Boost" enabled in BIOS I could not obtain stability beyond 174 BCLK/4.17GHz.

Corsair XMS3 RAM is falsely advertised by many internet sellers as 1.5V type. This RAM will not work properly below 1.65V.
When I switched to Low Power CORSAIR Vengeance LP RAM and left it at default 1.5V and 9-9-9-24 timings, higher stable CPU overclock became possible.

In general I do not overclock my RAM, trying to run it at the lowest voltage as increasing RAM voltage is an obstacle in getting the best CPU overclock possible.

My Xeon X5670@4.54GHz draws 108 Watts of power during Intel Burn Test, so I also had to get better CPU Cooler to keep my temperatures acceptable under full load.

I switched to Noctua DH-14 air cooler which I highly recommend.

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ........................ [22x]
Intel® Turbo Boost Tech ........ [Enabled]
CPU Cores Enabled ................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading .................. [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .......... [Auto]  -------  (when Enabled, I get occasional system lag after period of inactivity)
C3/C6/C7 State Support ............ [Auto]  -------  (when Enabled, another single core frequency of 4.72GHz (x25) appears under load only with Xeon X5670 CPU,

but I can't boot into Recovery Partition and get kernel panic on reboot after each macOS Sierra update)
CPU Thermal Monitor ................. [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function .................. [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ............ [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology ............. [Disabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:

QPI Clock Ratio ......................... [Auto]
QPI Link Speed ......................... [6.84 GHz]

Uncore Clock Ratio ................. [x17]  -------  (Set Value = 2x System Memory Multiplier +1)
Uncore Frequency ................... [3230 MHz]
Isonchronous Frequency ........... [Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .............. [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) ................ [190]  -------  may have to be tweaked (start from 172 and see how much higher you can go before system becomes unstable)
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) .......... [Auto]
C.I.A.2 ....................................... [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ........................ [800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive ............ [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew ........................ [0ps]
IOH Clock Skew ......................... [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance ...................................... [standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ....................... [Profile 1]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ................... [x8]  -------  may have to be lowered for other then 1600MHz/1.5V RAM type

Memory Frequency (MHz) ................................ [1520 MHz]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ........................ [Auto]

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
Load Line Calibration ............... [Enabled]
CPU Vcore 1.1360v ................... [Normal]
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) ............ [+0.24375]  -------  may have to be tweaked ( +0.24375 value allowed me to reach 190 BCLK/4.54GHz overclock on X5670 & i7-980X )
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.175v .............. [Auto]
CPU PLL 1.800v ......................... [Auto]

MCH/ICH
PCIE 1.500v ......................................... [Auto]
QPI PLL 1.100v .................................... [Auto]
IOH Core 1.100v .................................. [Auto]
ICH I/O 1.500v ..................................... [Auto]
ICH Core 1.1v ...................................... [Auto]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500V .................. [Auto]  -------  my RAM is 1600MHz/1.5V type
DRAM Termination 0.750v ........... [Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ............... [Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ............... [Auto]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ............... [Auto]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v .......... [Auto]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v .......... [Auto]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v .......... [Auto]

Anyone with X58 board should upgrade to 6-core CPU.
Presently, used 6-core Xeon X5670 could be purchased from eBay for as low as $60.
Adding SSD Drive connected to Native Sata 3 PCI-E card will dramatically improve boot time and user interface responsiveness.

If needed, native USB 3 PCI-E Card and native WiFi PCI-E Card could also be added.
My system overclocked to 4.54GHz, score 20874 points in Geekbench and it performs like brand new machine.

You can combine advantages of small but fast SSD and large but slower Hard Drive by moving /Users folder from SSD to Hard Drive and telling OSX to use it.

Here is the procedure:

- After /Users folder is copied to HD, go to System Preferences/Users & Groups/right click on Account to be used/Advanced Options/Home directory/Choose/select Account copy located on Hard Drive

- Beware not to change Hard Drive name after this procedure as SSD-Hard Drive connection is defined in OSX by the name of the Hard Drive.

This SSD+Hard Drive combination works as well as Apple Fusion Drive and it is easier to configure.

Also, it functions properly in case where SSD Drive is formated as APFS and Hard Drive as HFS+

Note:  If you plan to upgrade to macOS High Sierra with new APFS file system you must first do the following:

- Update Clover EFI Bootloader to the latest version

- Copy contents of EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 folder to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13 folder.
 - Copy apfs.efi driver to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 folder
( apfs.efi is located inside  Install macOS High Sierra/right click Show Package Contents/Contents/SharedSupport/open BaseSystem.dmg/usr/standalone/i386 )
You should use APFS file system only on SSD drives. It does not work well on conventional Hard Drives.

For anyone willing to try my setup, I also attached all my files used with Clover bootloader:

- Attached config.plist can be used after modifying SMBIOS and Graphics sections to reflect used System Definition & GPU (I use MacPro5,1 definition).

(Don't enter any value in Cpu/Frequency MHz field of config.plist as it will cause occasional Kernel Panic during boot on overclocked system)

- My patched DSDT.aml file comes from F13 BIOS of GA-EX58-UD5 mobo and could be used with any CPU and any System Definition.

- Attached FakeSMC.kext 6.23.1417 is patched for smc-thurley (MacPro5,1 platform) and in Plugins folder contains kexts required for HWMonitor.app to show sensors data.

(Don't add/install ACPISensors.kext to Plugins folder. It can cause many different problems, even in systems with properly configured BIOS and perfectly patched DSDT)

- Attached AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext contains patch allowing to use keyboard eject button to eject/inject CD/DVD Drive.

- Build-in LAN works perfectly with attatched RealtekRTL81xx.kext

- Toleda script from here must be run to enable onboard audio.

- For macOS Sierra use Clover_v2.3k_r4003 or newer. Prior versions of Clover for Sierra break sleep and/or create problems with Wi-Fi cards on GA-EX58-UD5.

- Remember that some changes made in config.plist take two reboots to be used by OSX.

EX58-UD5:F13.zip

HWMonitor.zip

post-199991-0-75280700-1483924219_thumb.png    post-199991-0-71225700-1483912629_thumb.png    post-199991-0-09046100-1484063890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Emilo
  • Like 2

Emilo, thanks. I'll check my bios again, but I'm certain I have all the speed step settings turned on. I had used bios F9a in the past (the last release for my board) but had some issues so I stuck with F7. Maybe I'll try the bios update again as I know there were some microcode updates. I have used Dood's edits in the DSDT, which compiled fine, but I'll try again.

I'm not overclocking the machine. It's a music production machine and is in regular use, so stability and longevity are more important than the overall speed.

Totally agree on the SSDs. I put a couple in with a SATA 3 card (the onboard was surprisingly slow) and the machine is fast and quiet. These are basically MacPro 5,1s so yeah, they're still great machines.

Just curious, did the Apple MacPro 5,1 use speed step by default? I was wondering if I need to adjust the C3 latency setting to get it working, though I see you are not using that.

I noticed a couple settings in your config.plist I was unsure about. What's the AppleTyMCEDriver patch for and what do the Reset Address ad Reset value do in the ACPI section?

Surprised to see the IOAHCIBlockStorage patch, any reason your not using the native "trimforce" command in terminal?

Emilo, thanks. I'll check my bios again, but I'm certain I have all the speed step settings turned on. I had used bios F9a in the past (the last release for my board) but had some issues so I stuck with F7. Maybe I'll try the bios update again as I know there were some microcode updates. I have used Dood's edits in the DSDT, which compiled fine, but I'll try again.

I'm not overclocking the machine. It's a music production machine and is in regular use, so stability and longevity are more important than the overall speed.

Totally agree on the SSDs. I put a couple in with a SATA 3 card (the onboard was surprisingly slow) and the machine is fast and quiet. These are basically MacPro 5,1s so yeah, they're still great machines.

Just curious, did the Apple MacPro 5,1 use speed step by default? I was wondering if I need to adjust the C3 latency setting to get it working, though I see you are not using that.

I noticed a couple settings in your config.plist I was unsure about. What's the AppleTyMCEDriver patch for and what do the Reset Address ad Reset value do in the ACPI section?

Surprised to see the IOAHCIBlockStorage patch, any reason your not using the native "trimforce" command in terminal?

1.  In past I was playing with C3 latency setting but did not observe any changes in system behavior.

2.  AppleTyMCEDriver checks for presence of ECC Memory in MacPro5,1 and if not found generates Kernel Panic during boot in Maverick or Yosemite (can't remember exactly).

I keep this patch in case Apple decides to use this check again.

3.  Values in “Reset Address” and “Reset Value” fields were generated by Clover Configurator when “Generate Config” command was used with MacPro5,1 definition.

I do not know exactly what they do but I noticed that Clover Configurator generates different values for different system definitions.

4.  For me IOAHCIBlockStorage patch is no hassle TRIM solution. Unlike "trimforce" command it never has to be reapplied with OS X changes.

Which Sata 3 card are you using for multiple SSDs?

I had the some Problems performance wise the last days. Turned out after a bios reset I set up everything correctly, but left the CPU Features on default:

PU Clock Ratio ........................ [22x]
Intel® Turbo Boost Tech ........ [Enabled]
CPU Cores Enabled ................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading .................. [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .......... [Auto]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ............ [Auto]
CPU Thermal Monitor ................. [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function .................. [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ............ [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology ............. [Disabled]

I had to set everything that was on "AUTO" to "Enabled" or the CPU was Stuck at Multi 12

I thought the difference between a Core i7 and a Xeon processor was that  you could not overclock the Xeons?

No, not really, the difference between a i7 980X and a Xeon w3680 is that the Xeon is capable of using ECC Memory. other than that they are the same CPU. The X5xxx Xeons are made for Multi CPU Systems, that does not work with the "W" orkstation Series or i7

1.  In past I was playing with C3 latency setting but did not observe any changes in system behavior.

2.  AppleTyMCEDriver checks for presence of EEC Memory in MacPro5,1 and if not found generates Kernel Panic during boot in Maverick or Yosemite (can't remember exactly).

I keep this patch in case Apple decides to use this check again.

3.  Values in “Reset Address” and “Reset Value” fields were generated by Clover Configurator when “Generate Config” command was used with MacPro5,1 definition.

I do not know exactly what they do but I noticed that Clover Configurator generates different values for different system definitions.

4.  For me IOAHCIBlockStorage patch is no hassle TRIM solution. Unlike "trimforce" command it never has to be reapplied with OS X changes.

Which Sata 3 card are you using for multiple SSDs?

I bought some generic card with the ASM 1061 chipset, works great. The only things I have plugged into the on board drive ports are the DVD burner and a 3.5" removable drive tray. I'm booting off the card without any issues.

I've tried your suggestions, all settings for EIST etc. are "Enabled" in the system bios. I'm using Dood's DSDT edits specific to the 3680 in my DSDT. I've tried your settings for P and C States in Clover (that's a basic one anyway) and even the settings for C3 Latency. still just getting the two states. I think I may try the F9a bios and see if there is any difference.

Curiously I was able to get speedstep working on an i7 920 I had in the machine previously. That required editing the C3 Latency to get speedstep working, though the chip ran really hot when I did that.

Regarding the reset address, from the Clover Wiki;

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#acpi_resetaddress-and-resetvalue

Updated my machine from 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 to 6x8GB Corsair XMS3, all 48GB detected in BIOS, Windows7, Clover 3763 and macOS 10.12.2.

Clover 3763 has a bug when I mixed 2GB and 8GB, slot 6 is not detected automatically in macOS and I had to explicitly define the memory in config.plist.

However with this defined, "About This Mac" crashed and the memory is not shown in "System Information" > "Memory" 

The problem is resolved when all the slots are using memory with the same capacity. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here found a fix for the shutdown issue when using NVIDIA web driver and Clover on X58 boards? It's driving me nuts and no one seems to have found a solution.

U try a Halt Enable in clover Acpi Section?

u use full DSDT patched and shutdown for gigabyte mobos?

U try a Halt Enable in clover Acpi Section?

u use full DSDT patched and shutdown for gigabyte mobos?

Yes on both counts. The system goes through its usual shutdown procedure, screens go black but fans keep running indefinitely and I have to force the system to power off. It only seems to happen intermittently and only since the switch to NvidiaWeb to initiate NVIDIA web driver.

• Like 1

Has anyone here found a fix for the shutdown issue when using NVIDIA web driver and Clover on X58 boards? It's driving me nuts and no one seems to have found a solution.

I haven't had any issue with shutdown.

Is this something new with macOS Sierra?