GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

First of all: Thanks a lot Dood, great work, thank you for putting so much time into this thread to help people like me :)

It took me a while but now it seems to work fine. 

Hardware: X58A-UD3R, rev.: 2.0, Bios FH; Xeon W3680; 12GB 1600 DDR3; GTX770 on native Drivers; USB 3.0 on native drivers and an ethernet card that runs native aswell. HDA DSDT edits and Toleda script. Chameleon, Yosemite 10.10.3 

I started with a DSDT from another Site wich gave me about 2,000 Points in Geekbench 32bit no overclocking. 2,200 Points with Olarila Patches.

Started to fiddle around with DSDT and Dood's guide and was able to get it to 2,400 Points.

Then i noticed that i did not edit PX40 / LPCB correctly and that the ICH10 was not shown correctly. Used the guide to do it, 2,600 Points in Geekbench but sleep did not work anymore. It was sleep and 2400 points score or no sleep 2600 Points score.... After some edits i got it working, sleep with high geekbench results.

Extracted my own SSDT, added some states and it seems to be working fine. Cpu goes into second Turbo-Multi aswell, it never did that before, HW Monitor now says i get 12, 25, 26, and 27

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 111122

itm1xlmdx181.png

In Geekbench i get this in 32Bit:

oiicrgkrapzk.png

I overclocked it to 4,13Gz, it Turbos to 4,39 and i get this:

c7niw5wlax4.png

Overclocked 64Bit Geekbench:

mtap5i8gnulx.png

Im not very experienced in editing DSDT and SSDT, so if an experienced user from here could have a look over my files to check if there is room for improvement id be very happy!

My files for Chameleon Clover, X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0 FH, Xeon W3680, not verified to be edited properly. Use at own risk. 

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10721196/config.plist.html

• Like 2

First of all: Thanks a lot Dood, great work, thank you for putting so much time into this thread to help people like me :)

It took me a while but now it seems to work fine. 

Hardware: X58A-UD3R, rev.: 2.0, Bios FH; Xeon W3680; 12GB 1600 DDR3; GTX770 on native Drivers; USB 3.0 on native drivers and an ethernet card that runs native aswell. HDA DSDT edits and Toleda script. Chameleon, Yosemite 10.10.3 

I started with a DSDT from another Site wich gave me about 2,000 Points in Geekbench 32bit no overclocking. 2,200 Points with Olarila Patches.

Started to fiddle around with DSDT and Dood's guide and was able to get it to 2,400 Points.

Then i noticed that i did not edit PX40 / LPCB correctly and that the ICH10 was not shown correctly. Used the guide to do it, 2,600 Points in Geekbench but sleep did not work anymore. It was sleep and 2400 points score or no sleep 2600 Points score.... After some edits i got it working, sleep with high geekbench results.

Extracted my own SSDT, added some states and it seems to be working fine. Cpu goes into Turbo-Multi aswell, it never did that before, HW Monitor now says i get 12, 25, 26, and 27

itm1xlmdx181.png

In Geekbench i get this in 32Bit:

oiicrgkrapzk.png

I overclocked it to 4,13Gz, it Turbos to 4,39 and i get this:

c7niw5wlax4.png

Overclocked 64Bit Geekbench:

mtap5i8gnulx.png

Im not very experienced in editing DSDT and SSDT, so if an experienced user from here could have a look over my files to check if there is room for improvement id be very happy!

My files for Chameleon, X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0 FH, Xeon W3680, not verified to be edited properly. Use at own risk. 

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10710045/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.html

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10710046/DSDT.aml.html

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10710217/SSDT-0.aml.html

Hi,

Would you help me find what exact procedure I should be following to get a similar working SSDT for i7-930 and Xeon W3690 CPUs? I'd guess it's pretty similar to yours, as they're in the same CPU family/codename.

Does it involve patching the kernel?  I'm using Yosemite 10.10.3 at the moment with my own patched DSDT, but I still have to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Thanks & Regards,

chatdeau

I extracted my DSDT and SSDT with clover, extracting them pressing F4 while booting. The Tables are stored in Efi/Clover/ACPI/Orig if i remember well. Wasn't able to get OS X to recognize triple channel memory properly so i switched back to Chameleon for more testing.

There is a way to extract the Tables with Aida64 as well, but only older Programversions will work, Aida developers removed the DSDT and SSDT extraction at some point in the program. So be sure you load an Aida version that is still able to extract those. It will extract a DSDT.bin with Aida, just change it to .aml and you are good to edit it in maciasl.

After that I took Dood's Native Powermanagement guide, and did all the steps mentioned in there for my motherboard except audio. Editing DSDT using Maciasl, I used ATkPAAAR and "smc-thurley" for Mac Pro 5,1 Powermanagement in Fakesmc and so on and so forth.  After finishing the DSDT I renamed some of the devices in it into a more Mac like way, tested everything like sleep, bios reset while rebooting etc. I had to redo some things because I did not edit them properly, but I did not need NullCPUPowermanagement at any point using the DSDT.

Then I used the extracted SSDT and removed Errors and Warnings as far possible and added more states to it. Weird thing was the first (highest) state, its the highest possible frequency +1Mhz. So if my highest state should be 25x133=3325Mhz  the second entry from the top is for 3325Mhz, and in the first one for 3326Mhz. if I did not do it like that it wouldn't switch thru the states. So I guess the +1Mhz state is for the Turbos.

This is what it looked like in the original extracted SSDT:

Package (0x06)
                    {
                        0x00000CFE, 
                        0x000493E0, 
                        0x0000000A, 
                        0x0000000A, 
                        0x0000001A, 
                        0x0000001A
                    }, 

Package (0x06)
                    {
                        0x00000CFD, 
                        0x000493E0, 
                        0x0000000A, 
                        0x0000000A, 
                        0x00000019, 
                        0x00000019
                    }, 

In the uploaded SSDT I use the same method but with the according higher frequencies and it works. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?dir=desc&q=xeon+w3680&sort=score

I was able to jump onto page 1 of geekbench w3680 results just with my DSDT and SSDT edits without overclocking, scoring 2844 Points in 64Bit Benchmark. I get less Points in Windows

Kernel Patching was not involved

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 10.10.4 which seems to resolve the issue with my 4K display not always booting at full resolution, or any resolution above 2560x1440 for that matter without the need to disconnect and reconnect the Mini Displayport cable from the monitor (Dell P2715Q). AppleHDA will need re-patching which I haven't got round to yet as I use a USB audio interface that works natively with CoreAudio. I also enabled TRIM via terminal using Apple's new trimforce command for third party SSDs.

sudo trimforce enable

See http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/ for more information and be sure to read the comment thread for a discussion on potential data loss issues with certain models of SSD. I've been using my OCZ Vertex 2 with various TRIM patches for years and don't keep any important data on it – only system and apps – so decided to take the plunge. This is great news for real Macs with third party SSDs which will no longer need to disable kext signing to enable TRIM and great news for everyone including the hackintosh community as we'll no longer need to hack a driver to re-enable it after every OS update.

I also recently made the transition over to Clover which, with a patched DSDT, is relatively straight forward to get up and running. I'm using fakesmc and RealtekRTL81xx kexts, a patched DSDT and a very minimal config.plist with a single patch for "Orange icon fix". Yosemite and El Capitan both run very well with identical Clover setup. Be sure to add rootless=0 boot argument to your config.plist for El Capitan (Yosemite will ignore this flag).

I use the orange icon fix in the DSDT and it still works. Even tho in the guide it says "not needed since 10.7" i do need it.

Im using "fix firewire" in clover because there is no FRWR device in the DSDT. It gave a power consumption error (if i remember well) without that fix.

Without SSDT I use Generate P- and C-states aswell.

Under Cpu / QPI i entered 6.400 to get "Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s" showing right in SystemProfiler, just cosmetic

Apple RTC patch seems to work on bios reset after sleep.

No audio injection with clover, I inject ID1 in DSDT. Mounting Efi Partition and then running Toledas clover command script works just fine for audio

SMBios Macpro 5,1, Clover does not seem to get OSX to show triple channel memory correctly. Benchmarked under clover and chameleon ( OSX shows perfect triple channel setup in chameleon) but there are no bigger performance differences

• Like 1

SMBios Macpro 5,1, Clover does not seem to get OSX to show triple channel memory correctly. Benchmarked under clover and chameleon ( OSX shows perfect triple channel setup in chameleon) but there are no bigger performance differences

I'm using a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS and my memory is recognised automatically and correctly. What board are you running on?

X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0-fh. With Clover OSX Is showing the right amount and speeds of the memory, but its showing Dimm 1 to Dimm 6, while under chameleon OSX shows a perfect triple channel setup, 3 Banks, each Bank filled with Dimm 0 and Dimm 1 wich looks like this in System Profiler:

Bank 0 Dimm 0

Bank 1 Dimm 0

Bank 2 Dimm 0

Bank 0 Dimm 1

Bank 1 Dimm 1

Bank 2 Dimm 1

Its just cosmetic it seems, benchmarked with clover and chameleon and the differences were minimal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks @mcbeth303, your DSDT edit works for me. This really save me a lot of time for editing myself, providing I have never edit one. I still prefer to include these SSDT code in DSDT like @d00d did, the boot seems a bit snappier (no proof). Somehow I still need to use “orange icon fix” using Clover kext patch , I don’t know why but it doesn’t really matters.

The one I downloaded from txxxmax86 doesn’t work, this happens for a few boards I tried before, seems they didn’t maintain good DSDT library.

Many thanks to @d00d for maintain this great thread. Your works still rock on El Capitan. 

For anyone who interested, this is DSDT with built-in SSDT code for Xeon X5650. I overlock to blck 200, so is getting 4.4GHz for all cores, 4.6GHz for single core. 

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I am so difficult to make perfectly running my workstation.

Please could help me in creating a good DSDT, as well as the necessary kexts order that the computer can run perfectly without so many patches?

El Capitan installed 10.11.3, wtch clover,  or do you think better to use chameleon, the problems that are occurring are:

- Shutdown performed by the user (Apple menu off) intermittent time off and time the computer is turned on.

- Rest the cumputador turn off the monitors but still connected, and does not return.

- Temperatures same ociso are around 40 ° to 50 ° when I do some work to render video rises to 98 °.

- The USB3.0 is functioning but since I let the devices connected to it during boot.

- Freeze mouse to open AppStore.

Right now I am very grateful for the attention.

I have the following hardware configuration:

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R V2.0 FH

Video card: ATI Radeon 5770 1024 RAM 1GHz

Processor Intel i7 950

Monitors 02: 23 'LG

12GB RAM 1333 Samsung

01 HD1.5TB System Samsung

02 HD2TB WORK Samsung

01 HD1TB WORK Samsung

03 HD2TB EXTERNAL BACKUP Samsung

KeyBoard USB Clone

USB Mouse Manhattan

Full Tower Cooler Master HAF 932

Hello, I am so difficult to make perfectly running my workstation.
Please could help me in creating a good DSDT, as well as the necessary kexts order that the computer can run perfectly without so many patches?

El Capitan installed 10.11.3, wtch clover,  or do you think better to use chameleon, the problems that are occurring are:

- Shutdown performed by the user (Apple menu off) intermittent time off and time the computer is turned on.

- Rest the cumputador turn off the monitors but still connected, and does not return.

- Temperatures same ociso are around 40 ° to 50 ° when I do some work to render video rises to 98 °.

- The USB3.0 is functioning but since I let the devices connected to it during boot.

- Freeze mouse to open AppStore.

Right now I am very grateful for the attention.

I have the following hardware configuration:
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R V2.0 FH
Video card: ATI Radeon 5770 1024 RAM 1GHz
Processor Intel i7 950
Monitors 02: 23 'LG
12GB RAM 1333 Samsung
01 HD1.5TB System Samsung
02 HD2TB WORK Samsung
01 HD1TB WORK Samsung
KeyBoard USB Clone
USB Mouse Manhattan
Full Tower Cooler Master HAF 932

First you need to search and read!

You should try DSDT provided by mcbeth303 in post #1501. It works perfectly and is the only one fully working I found on the net.

• 2 months later...
el capitan 10.11.4 user here and having sleep issues. I've attached my DSDTs as reference.

when using DSDT1.aml

1. my system wouldn't wake up at all.

2. The CMOS will automatically reset when turn it off by unplugging the power. I fixed this by patching AppleRTC using Clover.

when using DSDT2.aml

1.  My desktop goes to sleep fine but when it wakes up, the desktop is displayed but system becomes unresponsive. All I get is a spinning ball with both mouse/keyboard not responding.

I tried getting the C/P-states (x5570) using get getSSDT5.sh but it wouldn't work for my setup.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot! :)

Archive.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have EX58-UD5 here. No trouble with sleep here.

You can try these config files. (FakeSMC.kext version 6.19.1406 with plugins inside)

Using Clover r3543. Look in my signature...

Good luck

attachicon.gifConfig Archive EX58-UD5.zip

since my previous reply was deleted....

-------

I've tried your files and no improvement. The system wakes up but it's unstable. Can you please share the other KEXTs you are using? Also the BIOS settings? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

since my previous reply was deleted....

-------

I've tried your files and no improvement. The system wakes up but it's unstable. Can you please share the other KEXTs you are using? Also the BIOS settings? thanks

My last response has also misteriously disappeared.

I've posted my BIOS settings here: https://imgur.com/a/7iIwA

I'm using a UD5-derived DSDT, Clover and FakeSMC (and a Realtek kext for LAN) without issue.

Hey,

Look is this topic for your questions and later #4615 on latest bios F13mod 11 (for EX58-UD5 only !):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-yosemitemavericks-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-231?do=findComment&comment=2244745

Only difference to your bios setting is that I have eabled loadline calibration (CPU) in "Advanced Voltage Settings"

Are you using latest FakeSMC 6.20.1410 ?

Here is my actual  EFI/CLOVER KEXTS: (OSX10.11.5 and 10.12 sierra)

post-305243-0-32369800-1466963529_thumb.png

Good luck

Hey,

Look is this topic for your questions and later #4615 on latest bios F13mod 11 (for EX58-UD5 only !):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-yosemitemavericks-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-231?do=findComment&comment=2244745

Only difference to your bios setting is that I have eabled loadline calibration (CPU) in "Advanced Voltage Settings"

Are you using latest FakeSMC 6.20.1410 ?

Here is my actual  EFI/CLOVER KEXTS: (OSX10.11.5 and 10.12 sierra)

attachicon.gifCapture d'écran 2016-06-26 19.53.14.png

Good luck

can you please zip up all your kexts? and share them to me? thanks a lot

• 2 months later...

I recently got hold of a i7 975 Extreme Edition and have replaced my trusty old i7 920. So far it's been great. A few questions:

1) I can overclock to 4 Mhz and run Windows just fine. When I try to boot into MacOS (El Capitan for now), it just reboots after a few seconds. I have it set at 3.8 MHz and it seem solid. Any ideas why?

2) About this Mac use to show correct values when I used the i7 920. Even any overclock value I used. Now it won't show anything but 3.33.

3) On page 1 of this guide it says that you don't need to edit DSDT for power management (Note 5). Just use Generate P and C states in Clover. I edited my DSDT with values provided for i7 975 anyway. Did I need to do that? Does Generate P and C states really do the same thing? Right now I have DropOEM=Yes, Enable C6=Yes, Enable C7=Yes, and DO NOT have Generate P and C states (since I edited I DSDT I thought it wasn't necessary.)

3a) Speed step had more steps and ran at lower clocks speeds using the i7 920. Now (using above edits) they seem to stay in the higher ranges (25-31) and only drop to 12 or 16 occasional. Am I missing something?

Thanks to anyone still listening out there.

I recently got hold of a i7 975 Extreme Edition and have replaced my trusty old i7 920. So far it's been great. A few questions:

1) I can overclock to 4 Mhz and run Windows just fine. When I try to boot into MacOS (El Capitan for now), it just reboots after a few seconds. I have it set at 3.8 MHz and it seem solid. Any ideas why?

To your point 1)

I can confirm that what you experience with your OC shutting down the Mac is quite normal.

Depending what you do, or rather what your opsys is required to do, temperatures can differ quite drastically between the two opsyses.

What is actually happening is that under Mac the temperatures have reached a level that exceeded the safe threshold set in bios thus your machine

shuts down as a safety measure.

Regrettably I have no comments to your other point/issues.

To your point 1)

I can confirm that what you experience with your OC shutting down the Mac is quite normal.

Depending what you do, or rather what your opsys is required to do, temperatures can differ quite drastically between the two opsyses.

What is actually happening is that under Mac the temperatures have reached a level that exceeded the safe threshold set in bios thus your machine

shuts down as a safety measure.

Regrettably I have no comments to your other point/issues.

I figured it was something like this. I figured maybe it was my SMBIOS and that a real Mac with that SMBIOS would not go over 4GHz.

3) On page 1 of this guide it says that you don't need to edit DSDT for power management (Note 5). Just use Generate P and C states in Clover. I edited my DSDT with values provided for i7 975 anyway. Did I need to do that? Does Generate P and C states really do the same thing? Right now I have DropOEM=Yes, Enable C6=Yes, Enable C7=Yes, and DO NOT have Generate P and C states (since I edited I DSDT I thought it wasn't necessary.)

3a) Speed step had more steps and ran at lower clocks speeds using the i7 920. Now (using above edits) they seem to stay in the higher ranges (25-31) and only drop to 12 or 16 occasional. Am I missing something?

Thanks to anyone still listening out there.

I let Clover handle all power management and C states are working correctly. Here are a few screenshots to show you how I've set things up in Clover Configurator.

dNcwO1p.png

WXfLdmH.png

IWG3kqX.png

• Like 1

Yes that is pretty much how I have my Clover set-up as well (i.e. SSDT).

My issue is not that C and P state don’t work, they do. But they don’t seem to be that efficient. Most of the time the processor is at the upper end of the multiplier (x25-31) and only dips down to x12 occasionally and briefly. Even if I am doing nothing, just walk away from the computer for hours, when I come back and look at history, it seems to be in the upper end. My i7 920 did not do this. If I wasn't using the computer, or even if I was but just reading email, the processor would stay down at the x12 clock (which was 1.2GHz). (I have attached an image of the histiro graph, Can't figure out how to insert it)

When I look at the P States included in the SSDT on post 1 for the i7 975, it doesn't seem to be that comprehensive. If I am not mistaken it only includes the following states from 3326-1596 (I added number next to hexadecimal):

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000CFE,3326
0x000493E0,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x0000001A,
0x0000001A
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000CFD,3325
0x000493E0,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000019,
0x00000019
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000C78,3192
0x0003C4D8,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000018,
0x00000018
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000BF3,3059
0x00036B00,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000017,
0x00000017
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000B6E,2926
0x00031510,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000016,
0x00000016
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000AE9,2793
0x0002C6F0,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000015,
0x00000015
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000A64,2660
0x00027CB8,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000014,
0x00000014
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x000009DF,2527
0x0001FBD0,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000013,
0x00000013
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x0000095A,2394
0x0001C520,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000012,
0x00000012
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x000008D5,2261
0x00018E70,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000011,
0x00000011
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000850,2128
0x00016378,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x00000010,
0x00000010
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x000007CB,1995
0x00013880,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000F,
0x0000000F
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x00000746,1862
0x0000F230,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000E,
0x0000000E
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x000006C1,1729
0x0000D6D8,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000D,
0x0000000D
},

Package (0x06)
{
0x0000063C,1596
0x0000BB80,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000A,
0x0000000C,
0x0000000C
}

I am using HWMonitor 6.20.1410 to monitor and I'm not sure it is actually reading the correct states. I use to use DPCIManager but reading P-States hasn’t worked since El Capitan. I have tried using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext from PikerAlpha but I get no reading from that at all. AppleIntelInfo.kext just reboots my computer when I try to load it. Are there any other tools that can accurately measure P-States?

I am not opposed to edited my SSDT to include more state but not sure how to do that. Do I replace the ones that are there now, can I just add a bunch more?

Thanks!

post-488070-0-44768000-1474908013_thumb.jpg

I let Clover handle all power management and C states are working correctly. Here are a few screenshots to show you how I've set things up in Clover Configurator.

Hello,

I have XEON W3680 overclocked in Bios to W3690 :D

You can find my config.plist; DSDT.aml and kexts I use here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-yosemitemavericks-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-232?do=findComment&comment=2286204

Dont put , in your frequency's on CPU !  (Clover config.plist)

mine looks lke this

post-305243-0-31290100-1475417433_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 1.0 (BIOS f6) with an i7 930 and can't get it to shutdown correctly no matter what I try. I have Sierra running on it (although from boot to clover takes about 2min), would be great if the thing would shutdown normally?

I'm using the latest clover and have tried both the attached DSDT's with no luck.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Cheers

DSDT-GA-X58A-UD5-F6.aml.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 1

please post your config from clover. Did you check "fix shutdown"?

Any particular reason why you are still on that old BIOS? Not sure if that has something to do with the shutdown problem - I was just noticing.