GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Thanks @ROBASEFR, like MAJ I too have been thinking about passing the torch due to being way too busy at other things, to the point that a hassle free updateble Mac mini hooked up to a JBOD OS X RAID is looking pretty good.

I'll have to give your Clover instructions serious consideration if I decide to continue on though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks too dood,

For your V6 version of DSDT for our MOBO ! ( discovered it just now, used for some time your V5)  ;)

(was the first time I see ICH10 in my system SATA information ! ) not very important but it looks cleaner

Cheers

Thanks @ROBASEFR, like MAJ I too have been thinking about passing the torch due to being way too busy at other things, to the point that a hassle free updateble Mac mini hooked up to a JBOD OS X RAID is looking pretty good.

I'll have to give your Clover instructions serious consideration if I decide to continue on though.

Hey d00d, I'll be sorry to see you go if you decide to pack all this in. This community and in particular this thread and all your hard work have kept my hack running smoothly for coming up to five years, and it's still a beast. Thank you for all the time and effort you've put into writing such an in depth tutorial and for keeping it up to date throughout the years. You really are d00d.

I upgraded mine to Yosemite 10.10 and here are the observation:
- using Clover v2999 instead chameleon
- audio is fixed using script from toleda, opted the solution with additional kext
- cpu pm works by supplying some clover parameters

Issue so far: cannot wake the unit up using keyboard, using power button instead

UPDATE: Solved by turning off USB injection in Clover. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302668-wakeup-only-by-power-button/?do=findComment&comment=2086112

Issue so far: cannot wake the unit up using keyboard, using power button instead

UPDATE: Solved by turning off USB injection in Clover. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302668-wakeup-only-by-power-button/?do=findComment&comment=2086112

Do you have reliable sleep and auto-sleep?

Which sleep flag do you use on Clover?

darkwake=no or darkwake=0

Since OSX 10.8.3 on Chameleon my machine stopped sleeping/waking reliably.

With darkwake=no it would wake-up with black screen. With darkwake=0 it would wake-up properly but system would freeze occasionally.

It started to sleep/auto-sleep/wake properly in OSX 10.10 on Clover with darkwake=no and Add ClockID turned-on using either keyboard/mouse or power button.

If Add ClockID is turn-off my machine wakes-up with black screen.

I am using my own DSDT, SSDT extracted from F13mod10 BIOS in Windows with AIDA64 and all dood's corrections.

Sleep and auto sleep are working fine, I just updated to 10.10.1 and tested manual sleep.

See the link on my previous post for my config.plist, it is like that except now the inject usb is off.

It is strange for your case because by the book if ClockID is on then Clover will prevent wakeup by keyboard. Check the link above, I included the wiki section about those injections.

Sleep and auto sleep are working fine, I just updated to 10.10.1 and tested manual sleep.

See the link on my previous post for my config.plist, it is like that except now the inject usb is off.

It is strange for your case because by the book if ClockID is on then Clover will prevent wakeup by keyboard. Check the link above, I included the wiki section about those injections.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Firstly many thanks to d00d and MAJ for enabling these hacks to be configured and run for so long. But it does seem clover is the way forward.

Here is my experience with first getting clover to work on my existing Mavericks install and then upgrading to Yosemite.

I used afrobasers guide and config.plist (thanks!) with clover configurator and that got my mavericks booting ok.

I used my long developed existing DSDT as in post 1, here things i noted and needed to change from afrobasers plist :

Copy the extra kexts i was using form Majs script to the right clover folder.

To getaudio, In devices, I Needed to set audio inject to NO, as i was using the option in post 1(item 14 option A) of this thread that used an unpatched AppleHDA.

To enable appstore login, i needed to copy the smuuid, MLB, and ROM values from my chameleon setup (by booting in chameleon first, then pressing 'calculate' in the rt variables section of clover configurator.).

Tick inject nvidia in graphics section of clover configurator for my gtx 285 card.

Change language in gui section to en, else installer runs in French!

Everything was then fine in Mavericks, so I made a bootable Yosemite installer and upgraded the mavericks installation, using the guide here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298521-easy-yosemite-1010-final-usb-installer-updated-10162014/

The only change i had to make was, I noticed my Nvidia GTX 285 was stuck at high performance mode level 2.

To fix this, I edited the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist as described in post 1 (item 22) of this thread. I also continue to use nvclock to set the fan speed to auto as described in that post.

Now the graphics card adjusts it's performance levels according to load correctly.

So now I have a fully working hack, native CPU, and GPU power management, sleep, app store/imessage login everything.

Thanks again to all those who contribute to the community to, make this possible!

Cheers

Jon

@d00d

Thanks for the post. Your DSDT guides helped me fix the DSDT in my Lenovo S20( Xeon W3520 CPU) and I now have LPC and C-States working. After the C-State patch to DSDT my GeekBench score jumped from 79XX to 8456!! Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and Clover bootloader for anyone currious.

I noticed lots of posts here about a kextcache script from DigitalDreamer. For anyone who would prefer a GUI method, I have found Kext Wizard very handy.

I'm still having issues with sleep. I think it has to do with the fact that I have to use a lot of patched kexts (IOPCIFamily, AICPUPowerManagement, AppleACPIPlatform). If anyone here has solutions for those feel free to PM.

Hi, I stumbled upon your message re: OS X on a Lenovo S20. I'm trying to install  Mav or Yose on the same pc with not much luck at all. could you please help?..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated from 10.9 to 10.10.2 using the following guide;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-yosemite/

Post 1 updated, staying with Chameleon for now, had to use VoodooHDA.kext for audio.

I notice that the OS now waits for external drives for about a minute before rebooting;

hfs: unmount initiated on storage on device disk3

I'm about to upgrade my CPU from an i7 920 to a six core Xeon W3690. Ideally I'd like to swap out the CPU and boot straight into my current system. From my understanding of post 1, this should be possible so long as I'm using C2RC5 trunk revision 192 or later (which I am), GenerateCStates=Yes and a MacPro4,1 smbios.plist. I'm actually using a MacPro5,1 smbios, both GenerateCStates=yes and GeneratePStates=yes and the equivalent of v6 DSDT attached to post 1. I don't use DropSSDT=yes and I don't plan to overclock my CPU, at least not yet anyway. Other than the new CPU the rest of my hardware will remain identical to my current setup (see signature). Will I be ok or will I need to do a clean install then extract and re-patch a new DSDT based on the new CPU? Any tips or advice before I dive in would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to upgrade my CPU from an i7 920 to a six core Xeon W3690. Ideally I'd like to swap out the CPU and boot straight into my current system. From my understanding of post 1, this should be possible so long as I'm using C2RC5 trunk revision 192 or later (which I am), GenerateCStates=Yes and a MacPro4,1 smbios.plist. I'm actually using a MacPro5,1 smbios, both GenerateCStates=yes and GeneratePStates=yes and the equivalent of v6 DSDT attached to post 1. I don't use DropSSDT=yes and I don't plan to overclock my CPU, at least not yet anyway. Other than the new CPU the rest of my hardware will remain identical to my current setup (see signature). Will I be ok or will I need to do a clean install then extract and re-patch a new DSDT based on the new CPU? Any tips or advice before I dive in would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you created your own DSDT and didn't do 5 and 6, there are no CPU specific edits, and therefore you can use any CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks d00d. New CPU arrived yesterday and I was back up and running without a hitch in no time at all.

Screenshot%202015-02-21%2010.22.21.png

Hello,

Coincidence ! 

I did about the same yesterday ! (replaced i7 920 for a Xeon W3680.)

I'm using the dsdt  from dood v6. modified as of point 5. (for W3680)

With Geekbench 3.3 64bit I get a very low single core (2230) ? ( should be 2600) but a good multicore (16000)

I use Clover (r3185) for some time now but, so going to play around with Clover configurator to get it better on single core

Have a good day

DSDT.aml.zip

For those who are trying to use PCI-E Wi-Fi+Bluetooth adapter card in x2, x4, x8, x16 slot:

Some motherboards refuse to work with PCI-E adapters that have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth powered from PCI-E port other then x1 port.

If installed in x2, x4, x8, x16 ports you will have either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth working but not both at the same time.

There are two different solutions for this problem:

1. PCI-E x1 slot extension cable (when PCI-E x1 slot is blocked/covered by Video Card): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

2. Adapter designed to work in any slot: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=38195333521

This wdxxfu studio adapter has Apple branded Broadcom BCM94360CD card found in iMac 2013.

Both Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 4.0/LE work like a charm.

They managed the card to work properly in any slot by providing four wire connection to USB port for Bluetooth Data and Power.

Wi-Fi is powered from PCI-E rail (B-10 3.3Vaux), Bluetooth data connects to USB and Bluetooth power connects to USB through 3.3V AMS1117.

If you don't speak Chinese and want to buy it, search for TAOBAO purchasing agent.

Here is another adapter with four wire USB connection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac-802-11AC-BCM94360CD-BT4-0-1000Mbps-Wifi-Card-Adapter-4xAntenna-Cable-/191392971578?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2c8fe8fb3a

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Broadcom-BCM94360CD-802-11AC-4-Antennas-6DB-Wireless-wifi-WLAN-Card-with-Bluetooth-4-0-for/32222916819.html

http://www.ebay.it/itm/390959657091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thank you for this tip with the PCI-E extension cable - I bought a BCM94360CD off ebay with an adapter card. But that adapter card didn't fit into my EX58-UD5 x1 slot because of some cooler on the mainboard. Right now, I am using an extender cable. (other PCI-E slots didn't work :(  )

BUT: when I turn both wifi and bluetooth on, only bluetooth is working. When I turn bluetooth off, Wifi is working. The adapter card has only 2 wires to plug into the USB port on the mainboard.

Since I got a BCM94360CD without the genuine Apple bluetooth module, I had to apply a clover patch and install a BTFirmawareUploader.kext to get bluetooth to work in the first place. The chinese seller offered me to send the BCM94360CD back already, which I am going to do. I would like to find a seller that sells a genuine Apple bluetooth module.

I am wondering now, if the new card will also have the problem that either wifi or bluetooth is working, as mentioned by Emilo? Does that mean, that I have to get another adapter card too?

Has anyone the BCM94360CD working on our UD5 mainboards? If yes, which exact item did you buy (ebay, taobao, aliexpress)?

Thanks

Has anyone the BCM94360CD working on our UD5 mainboards? If yes, which exact item did you buy (ebay, taobao, aliexpress)?

Thanks

This adapter works great on my GA-EX58-UD5 in PCI-E x1 slot (no extension cable needed):  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2292801298.10.mZ7jAh&id=36411287267 , http://www.potatao.com/index.php?p=item&id=36411287267&vendorId=miniqoo

It has integrated switch that can change how WiFi and Bluetooth are powered from PCI-E rail, however this adapter refused to work properly in PCI-E x1 slot on GA-Z87MX-D3H. On GA-Z87MX-D3H either WiFi or Bluetooth would work but not both at the same time.

I also have wdxxfu studio adapter in PCI-E x16 slot running at x8 on GA-Z87MX-D3H (wdxxfu tested working on both GA-Z87MX-D3H and GA-EX58-UD5 in all PCI-E slots).

So far wdxxfu studio adapter is the only one that has been reported to work properly on any tested motherboard and in any PCI-E slot.

Note: PCI-E x1 slot on GA-EX58-UD5 doesn't have enough space to fit wdxxfu adapter directly. PCI-E x1 extension cable is needed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i have problem, last days. My disk is nonstop working, and i have this messages in console:

22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(    wd_watchdog_open) - IOIteratorNext failed (kr=0)
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(      wd_daemon_init) - could not initialize the hardware watchdog
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(                main) - cannot initialize the watchdog service
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.watchdogd) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Worst is, computer is hanging, time to time. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i have problem, last days. My disk is nonstop working, and i have this messages in console:

22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(    wd_watchdog_open) - IOIteratorNext failed (kr=0)
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(      wd_daemon_init) - could not initialize the hardware watchdog
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 watchdogd[3170]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(                main) - cannot initialize the watchdog service
22/03/15 02:32:58,931 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.watchdogd) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Worst is, computer is hanging, time to time. 

I'm also seeing these messages in my console but not experiencing any stability issues. Are you sure this is what's causing the issue?