GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

10.8.2 working fine for me. I didn't need to re-patch or edit anything.

Has anyone started using clover yet?

Will the DSDT from my chameleon boot likely work? Or is there some purer form of DSDT extraction that can be had through a Clover boot no-DSDT?

I have trouble following some of the conversation over there.

Does anyone boot with Clover?

What are its advantages on this system?

Which custom UUID to use? where to find, or make up?

Are audio and HDMI working?

I suppose I can take the plunge and try it. Will report back if it survives.

10.8.2 working fine for me. I didn't need to re-patch or edit anything.

Has anyone started using clover yet?

No problem updating either.

Clover looks like an interesting project, but at this point it doesn't seem as polished as Chameleon, as there are problems with RT and services such as iCloud;

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2304

Which layout ID for ALC889 on 10.8.2 for the GA-X58A-UD5?

Edit:

So I updated to 10.7.5, and started with a fresh AppleHDA from that.

Starting with this template (link in that post) for my ALC889, I took info.plist, layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib all the (Green labeled ones ya know)

Then inflated them for use on Lion as explained here

(decompress)
perl zlib.pl inflate layout12.xml.zlib > layout12.xml
perl zlib.pl inflate Platforms.xml.zlib > Platforms.xml

inflate these files to *.xml, then using HDA Wizard which points to S/L/E/AppleHDA so make sure that that your fresh copy is installed.

If you do not bin patch with HDA Wizard, or need to bin patch for Mountain Lion, read here and make sure to grab the perl script discussed. There is instruction for the 889 in that post.

Also included in the template was the DSDT patch, make sure your HDEF entry matches or resembles that closely. Especially Layout ID 12

I have followed this thread since I first found it years ago with great success. Many thanks for a terrific job keeping this project going!

OS X 10.8 is giving me problems that I have not been able to overcome. Using GraphicsEnabler=yes and EthernetBuiltIn=yes together in org.chameleon.Boot.plist gives me a black screen at boot. I've tried with a couple different Chameleon builds (r643, r1923, r3030) and the result was the same. Odd, since both enablers worked with OS X 10.6 through 10.6.8. Must be something new with 10.8?

Problem is, without ethernet builtin=yes, graphics is fine, but iCloud is broken. I have fixed the SMboardproduct and SMserial values in smbios.plist so they are appropriate for a MacPro4,1. So the only thing left for iCloud seems to be getting ethernet builtin working.

I tried item #19C and the DSDT compiled without error. But I still get ehternet buitin=false in the IO Registry! And, of course, iCloud remains broken. Not sure why this DSDT hack doesn't work for me. Is there a specific place the additional code needs to be under PEX4? I've retried a few times. Always compiles correctly, but has no effect when installed. Any ideas?

I downloded the source files for RealtekR1000SL.kext, and I patched the RealtekR1000SL.ccp, but I don't know how or what to do to compile it. Can someone point me to an RealtekR1000SL.kext already modified for ethernet builtin and/or tell me what to do to compile the kext? I'd like to give this idea a try, but I am unclear as to how to proceed.

I also installed an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter and followed item #18A to modify Apple's IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext. The mod works, but it also comes up as ethernet builtin=false in the IO Registry. Any ideas as to how to make it appear as BuiltIn=Yes? It shows as en0. The MB Realtek dual-ethernet appears as en1 and en2. I'd like to use the CT add-in card, since it is much more reliable than the motherboard's Realtek ethernet controllers.

GA-EX58-UD5, bios F12; i7-920 CPU; GTX 285 graphics card; D00D's any CPU v5 DSDT; Chameleon 2.1svn-r2030; retail OS X 10.8.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have followed this thread since I first found it years ago with great success. Many thanks for a terrific job keeping this project going!

OS X 10.8 is giving me problems that I have not been able to overcome. Using GraphicsEnabler=yes and EthernetBuiltIn=yes together in org.chameleon.Boot.plist gives me a black screen at boot. I've tried with a couple different Chameleon builds (r643, r1923, r3030) and the result was the same. Odd, since both enablers worked with OS X 10.6 through 10.6.8. Must be something new with 10.8?

Thanks!

I have a virtually identical system to you, and also had the black screen issue. the problem is that newer boot loaders don't inject the correct proprieties for the GTX 285 card. you need to inject via device-properties.

see

http://www.insanelym...__fromsearch__1

re you other issues. i use the dood dsdt mods her in post 1, with the audio option to enable use of the standard applehda kext. I use the scipt written by digital dreamer to install the kexts, and the network driver ionetworkfamily.kext from his script works for me including app store etc.

Thanks

Jon

I have a virtually identical system to you, and also had the black screen issue. the problem is that newer boot loaders don't inject the correct proprieties for the GTX 285 card. you need to inject via device-properties.

see

http://www.insanelym...__fromsearch__1

re you other issues. i use the dood dsdt mods her in post 1, with the audio option to enable use of the standard applehda kext. I use the scipt written by digital dreamer to install the kexts, and the network driver ionetworkfamily.kext from his script works for me including app store etc.

Thanks

Jon

Jon, Thanks for the tips. I am giving it a try, but I still have some odd issues getting ethernet set to builtin.

I was able to inject the GTX 285 properties into org.Chameleon.Boot.plist, and it seems to work. Haven't tested different resolutions or tried any videos, etc., but the system boots.(updated 3 October 2012) Still, I am unable to get <key>EhernetBuiltIn<key> <StringYes<string> to work. That key in the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist just ihas no effect, even with graphics enabler set to no. I really do not understand what's going on. I currently use the same boot loader with 10.6,3 and 10.6.8 in different partitions on the same HDD with no problems.

I've tried various options, including Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx.kext and Bit Shoveler's RealtekR1000SL.kext in E/E and alternately in S/L/E. The kext in Digital Dreamer's script is only a port of Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx.kext into Apple's IONetwokingFamily.kext which it replaces upon installation. I'll gave it a try, anyway, to no effect.

Ethernet works fine, by the way, with any of the kext files installed. Intel CT Desktop adapter works with the item #18A device id hack. They just don't come up as builtin. Even temporarily removed the Intel CT Desktop Gigabit adapter to see if that made a difference, which it did not. So I can access the App store for system updates, but not for downloding new apps. Can't access iCloud either as both require ethernet builtin to accept login id info.

I have been able to inject properties for the GTX 285 in the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist in various ways, but I have not been able to inject ethernet builtin either through the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist or through a customized DSDT.aml. I tried the hack suggested in item#19C. The DSDT compiled but had no effect. Seemed flawed anyway as the dual RTL controller shows up in PEX4 and PEX5. The Intel CT adapter shows up in PCIO0 at PCI-bridge1. Seems that entries would need to be listed in each section, which I also tried. Admittedly, I am not sure the same code works for the Intel CT adapter, but it didn't seem to hurt iIt just didn't inject ethernet builtin to any of the lan controllers. Also tried hacking only one cards properties at a time, which also had no effect. (updated 3 October 2012).

I'm stumped and just kinda going in circles to try to find obvious errors or omissions. Is there a way to inject the ethernet builtin property with an EFI hex string in the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist? Is there a way to clean out stored hidden system preferences other than rebuilding system cache012 (updated 3 October 2012. Anyone have a link to kexts modded for the builtin property? Is there a more compatible bootloader for the GA-EX58-UD5 and OS X 10.8.2 I have reinstalled 3 times and have tried 3 different bootlaoders each time (listed in previous post).

Basically, the system just ignores all attempts to inject ethernet builtin. Certainly I am not the only one who has encountered this bug. If I really am the only one, I could use ideas as to what may have gone wrong and how to fix. What is most likely stopping ehternet builtin injection? I've downloaded the Mountain Lion Install App twice now on two different PC's. Surely they are not both corrupted with the same flaw. Ideas, please.(updated 3 October 2012) Guess I'll try clean install #4 with a fresh USB thumb drive loader.

Thanks,

Chris

Progress of sorts. After the last install I was able to get the onboard Realtek lan controller recognized as builtin using the hack suggested in item #19C. Had to insert it in PEX4 and PEX5 to get both legs of the dual-lan recognized. Pretty sure I messed up the hack before. Always something to learn.

Anyway, I have access to iCloud and App Store login in.

Deffinatly can't use EthernetBuiltIn=Yes in the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist -- it just doesn't work. Reconfigured the order of the lan controllers so that the Realtek is now en0 and en1. Haven't figured out how to get the the Intel CT Desktop controller (en2) recognized as builtin. Any thoughts? Any ideas on how to hack the DSDT for it?

Thanks!

(Update, 3 October 2012): Was able to inject ethernet builtin for the Intel CT Desktop adapter using a <device-properties> hex string in the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist. Thanks to Jon (jhrfc) for putting me on to the idea of experimenting with device-properties efi strings. Order of the lan controllers is now mute. Using the hex string to inject both ethernet builtin and GTX 285 properties at the moment. Hex string derived from EFI Studio. Note: efi hex string injection derived from EFI Studios only fixes ethernet builtin for the Intel CT Desktop Gigabit Lan Controller. The DSDT hack at item #19C is still needed to get the builtin properties for the onboard Realtek Lan Controllers. Will try to tweak the GTX 285 properties for my particular graphics card eventually.

Still perplexed as to why the Chameleon EthernetBuiltIn injector feature doesn't work for my setup in 10.8 or 10.8.2. Seems to conflict with the Chameleon graphics injector feature. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Still perplexed as to why the Chameleon EthernetBuiltIn injector feature doesn't work for my setup in 10.8 or 10.8.2. Seems to conflict with the Chameleon graphics injector feature. Can anyone shed any light on this?

You need the Realtek kext to get LAN working whether or not you have Ethernet built in injector set. However unless you set Ethernet built in to Yes, you won't be able to use the App Store.

You need the Realtek kext to get LAN working whether or not you have Ethernet built in injector set. However unless you set Ethernet built in to Yes, you won't be able to use the App Store.

Thaks, but that does address the bug I encountered. My delimea was how best to set the ethernet builtin property and inject graphics properties. I have managed a fairly satisfactory workaround so my immediate crisis is over.

Thanks for all assistance provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Taptun,

My I know the specific brand and model of HD6870 you have?

I am thinking of getting one to upgrade my Sapphire HD4870.

How vanilla is this 6870? Does it works by just using graphicsenabler=Y?

Cheers!

On 10.7.5 framebuffer does not patch works right out of the box

to 10.8.2, you need to patch

The card is not reference: 2 - DVI, 1 - HDMI, 1 - big DP

graphicsenabler = No

It works through the DSDT

@Taptun

Hi there,

my GA-P35-DS3 died, so I needed a new machine. Using this guide, my new GA-X58A-OC works perfectly. Lion boots without a problem every time, but Mountain Lion troubles me. Sometimes it boots, but most of the time in the Chameleon screen, the message "can't find /mach_kernel" appears. Actually, I have no clue why this happens, and I have no reliable solution to boot into ML. Has anyone else seen this problem?

SapperC your problem with Ethernet RTL8168D/8111D appeared to be a problem form me too, could you specify EFI studio HEX string injection thing cuz I`ve never used EFI and it`s time to do so, after update to 10.8.2 I`ve lost ethernet and almost for an week using proxy VMware Windows internet to communicate, I`ll be grateful for any help in this matter.

foraging_ferret RTL81xx kext is`t enaugh for our MoBo model ethernet problem solution

My specs. DSDT.aml-ioreg-kernel-kextsat can be downloaded

Daxure,

https://dl.dropbox.c...daxure_dsdt.zip

I added device Lan0 to Device Pex4 and Device Lan1 to Device Pex5 in your dsdt. Remove EthernetBuiltIn=yes Flag from your org.chamleon.boot.plist. With these edits your Ethernet Adapter should be seen as en0 and en1 and Appstore icloud etc should work with no problems.

If not you need to redo your networks settings. Remove all network adapters from network settings in system settings and click apply. Then go to

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and com.apple.network.identification.plist. OptionaI you can give your mac a new name in system settings sharing settings. Then reboot and add your network adapters back.

I would also change the Ethernet kext to the RealtekR1000SL by chucko that works at my GA EX58 UD5 without issues.

aschar1 thanx for your help, I did everything you`ve suggested but nothing helped, I was forces to do fresh install & after 2 days ethernet problem reappeared again, I think there is an issue with EFI string of RTL8168D/8111E for this model of MoBo

I`ve also mesed up with S/L/E

Kozlek`s Sensors kext

USB3.0 PCXHD.kext

for audio patching used AppleHDA.kext+ALC885HDA.kext

after that DSDT changes has no more importance cuz something happening with RTL81xx and IOnetworking.kext

aschar1 thanx for your help, I did everything you`ve suggested but nothing helped, I was forces to do fresh install & after 2 days ethernet problem reappeared again, I think there is an issue with EFI string of RTL8168D/8111E for this model of MoBo

I`ve also mesed up with S/L/E

Kozlek`s Sensors kext

USB3.0 PCXHD.kext

for audio patching used AppleHDA.kext+ALC885HDA.kext

after that DSDT changes has no more importance cuz something happening with RTL81xx and IOnetworking.kext

RTL81xx is just a very bad modification of chuckos kext. I wouldnt use anything from afollow disciple of tonymac who just renames stuff like chameleon with out a single bit of own code. Tony usually just takes the trunk modifications and puts them into his chimera branch.

Only use 1 injection method either DSDT, EFI String, Injector.kext or Bootloader Injection if you use my dsdt mods you need to remove your efi string for ethernet. Since you have the same mobo i can upload my extra folder for you. I dont understand teh usb3.0 kext your mobo doesnt have any usb3.0 ports

aschar1 I`ve little knowledge about EFI string in original Kakewalk DSDT there`s no ethernet Lan(en0) thing at all and it was working fine, after I`ve putted in S/L/E Kozlek`s thermal kexts+Fakesmc.kext it mesed up the things, Yes please upload your extra folder I`ll be grateful -

about USB3.0 I`ve found solution with modified PCXHD.kext + $10 ORICO PFU3-2P (Fresco chipset FL1009) which gives out on sys info 5GB/s (actually 106-120MB/s)to my 3TB Seagate external.

At the end I assume that Kozlek`s kexts+PCXHD one messing up with the MoBo ethernet related kexts

I am really desperate. Whatever i do, i cannot install either SL or Mountain Lion.

Now, i have Windows 7 Ultimate, i have a free HDD 320 GB and i want to install OS X on it.

So, at the moment i have no OS X installed.

Do i have a chance to install Lion or Mountain Lion, if there is no other OS X installed ?

I have / use / ML but under vmware. Would that help anyhow ?

So let me tell you what / where my problem is :

I boot the SL DVD. It appears something with Darvin .... it ask me to press F8 / -v / something like this.

After this step, i see this :

efi inject get_devprop string null trying stringdata

And i can see the grey apple logo for 1 second.That's it. PC reboots.

Someone told me this, some time ago :

" i think a better solution to your graphics issue is to use DSDT. By adding PEG1 and GFX string to your PCI0, you should be able to use the card without EFI strings. I am using dual gtx 480s using this method. Depending on your motherboard, you might want to goto the DSDT database on tonymacx86 or extracting your own DSDT using DSDT autho patch tool. Then adding the following patches in there Visit Tonymacx86"

I am a n00b, so i have no idea what DSDT is, neither PEG1 / GFX string.

How could i add those patches ? Where should i add those ?

I upgraded my GTX 285 videocard, to GTX 660. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA EX58 UD5 / Intel I7 920 /

Please help me.

Explain it to me how could i do this.

Thanks in advance

LE : Is that very important to move my videocard from PCI EX 16_2 to PCIEX 16_1 ?

LE : Is that very important to move my videocard from PCI EX 16_2 to PCIEX 16_1 ?

Did you tell your bios where your Video card is ?

Besides, I realised my install with this USB method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/256729-lion-installation-via-usb-stick-using-chameleon/

After that i use this marvelous script:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-retail-lionmountain-lion-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/page__start__3500

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...