GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 10.6.5 from 10.6.4 and can't get sleep to work. I have been using SleepEnabler previously, but would like to get it working via DSDT. As I am using chameleon RC5, I have installed the DSDT precompiled for that and removed SleepEnabler. Previously I have been using a hand-made DSDT, but that one did not have all the options necessary for sleep. I have left NullPCUPowerManagement in place for the time being.

Now when I try to sleep, the monitor goes blank, but the fans keep spinning. I can't wake up from sleep and reboot is the only option. Please advise.

Thank you,

MPK

Try this auto-patcher !

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_27_11_2010_.zip

I'm also on C2R5 but rev678 !

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1543081

Good luck !

Try this auto-patcher !

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_27_11_2010_.zip

I'm also on C2R5 but rev678 !

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1543081

Good luck !

UPDATE. I have :

1) installed new dsdt from autopatcher

2) installed RC5 643

3) removed sleepEnabler.kext

- The machine won't sleep. The screen goes blank, but the fans keeps spinning. Reboot is then the only option.

Please help.

I'm on x58a-UD5

I will try the new DSDT now, that the autopatcher created. Should I remove sleepEnabler kext? Other kexts I should remove?

Thank you!

Did you find your Mobo in the autopatcher ?

Yes I don't use sleepenabler any more.

Rebuild Extensions.mkext after removing !

Success !

First of all, thank you for your help.

History:

- installed RC5 691 from your link

- set generate P and C states to yes

- removed SleepEnabler kext

- removed most kexts from Extra and put yours in

- I still have the RealtekR10000SL, voodooHDA and LegacyHDA kexts in S/L/E

The good:

- Machine now sleeps without sleepenabler kext. :D

- Boot and response times seem better / machine feels faster

The bad & ugly :

- After wake up from sleep I get almost instant KP. Console shows messages about VNet before crash happens - I don't know if its related. I was also having this problem when waking up from sleep via SleepEnabler. It seems OS version related. This never happened on previous setup (10.6.4).

UPDATE 1: I have probably fixed the crashes occurring after wake-up, by setting HPET mode to 64 bit in BIOS. Since then I have not had a crash any more. Tested a couple of times and so far so good. It seems fixed.

UPDATE 2: The newest chameleon also seems to have fixed an earlier problem I had when booting with all my drives attached. Now it boots fine with all drives attached.

- I have an ati HD5770 in my system. I used to use it with the special boot file that contained the right framebuffer. I still have 'use ati rom' & 'graphics enabler' set to true in pref pane. When I boot via newest chameleon, the 5770 does not work. The strange thing is, it also shows a blank screen when I boot from my backup disk which has all the files from the previous working setup (10.6.4).

The 5770 is the only problem I have left.

MaLd0n,

I tried your files and I am getting KP at boot time. I think it is chameleon related, as I have tried different fakeSMC versions, removed extra kexts and the problem remains. To make it worse, it does not happen all the time, sometimes I can boot normally when ignoring caches.

I will investigate further with the chameleon guys.

MaLd0n,

I tried your files and I am getting KP at boot time. I think it is chameleon related, as I have tried different fakeSMC versions, removed extra kexts and the problem remains. To make it worse, it does not happen all the time, sometimes I can boot normally when ignoring caches.

I will investigate further with the chameleon guys.

remove extensions.mkext

repair permissions

the ideal is a clean installation

use -v

This is an extremely frustrating problem. I have spend days by now trying to get a working system to no avail.

I use pfix every time I change kexts, so permissions should be fine. I have also tried removing extensions.mkexts like you suggested.

The behaviour is the same; I can login once, then the next time I get KP when loading SMC. Sometimes I can use 'boot ignoring caches' after which I can mostly log in (sometimes only on second try). It almost seems like a random problem.

I'm almost out of ideas. I might try:

- different dsdt instead of the auto-patched one

- different fakeSMC

Could you attach or point the latest fakeSMC before the plugins got added? I'd like to try that.

If you get any ideas what else it could be, please let me know.

UPDATE: Its probably not the dsdt.

Hi,

It took days, but I think I found it. The KP at boot time stopped, when I removed VoodooHDA drivers. I am using a X58A-UD5 board which has the ALC899 audio chip.

UPDATE: It also panics when using the patched appleHDA kext. Only when no sound kexts are present, it boots normally.

UPDATE 2: Regrettably, the problem is not solved by installing the 10.6.5 combo update from Apple.

I'm at a loss now.

Hi,

Boot in verbose and take some shots.

I have tried almost everything I could think of by now:

- removed HDEF injection from dsdt *** I am not sure if it should be in there ***

- flashed bios to latest version

- tried 32 bit booting

- used different chameleon versions

- tried different fakeSMC's

Some observations:

1) I am also getting KP at boot time when trying to get sound with a patched appleHDA kext - so it doesn't seem specifically voodoo related.

2) there is no KP at boot time if no audio kext is loaded

3) the problem did not exist in 10.6.4

4) I can mostly boot normally when I use either 'ignore caches' or 'verbose boot'

PS I have voodoohda 2.7.2 installed at the moment.

I will now boot verbose and take a screenshot and paste here in about 10 min.

Attached is my current dsdt.

UPDATE : I can't make a picture, as it boots normally each time when I use verbose mode...

It panics only when I use normal boot mode. Maybe I can make a dump somehow when using normal mode?

dsdt.aml.zip

I have tried almost everything I could think of by now:

- removed HDEF injection from dsdt *** I am not sure if it should be in there ***

- flashed bios to latest version

- tried 32 bit booting

- used different chameleon versions

- tried different fakeSMC's

Some observations:

1) I am also getting KP at boot time when trying to get sound with a patched appleHDA kext - so it doesn't seem specifically voodoo related.

2) there is no KP at boot time if no audio kext is loaded

3) the problem did not exist in 10.6.4

4) I can mostly boot normally when I use either 'ignore caches' or 'verbose boot'

PS I have voodoohda 2.7.2 installed at the moment.

I will now boot verbose and take a screenshot and paste here in about 10 min.

Attached is my current dsdt.

If you have headphones plugged in when you start the machine, don't do that.

I finally managed to get a few shots in verbose mode. It seems it freezes up at unpredictable places.

1) Yes, indeed, I have headphones plugged in. Was never a problem before. Will try booting without them.

2) Could it be that I have my processor ill-configured in the dsdt? I believe I have an i7 920. Could it lead to problems if its declared incorrectly in dsdt?

Please see photo's for boot screen.

If you have headphones plugged in when you start the machine, don't do that.

After removing headphones I have not seen KP at boot time. I wish I knew why I could boot normally with headphones in 10.6.4 and not in 10.6.5.

May I ask where you heard about the headphones problem?

In any case, than you for the tip.

KP_Pictures.zip

It's the obsolete DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip from post 1, where it's described, so what's your question?

i suggest i must download this dsdt.aml ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=65245

And i suppose no kext are needed in the E/E folder ? (fakesmec.kext ?)

i'v got a perfect osx86 Gcard : gts250

thank you for your answer